Wednesday 1st February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 1st February 2017

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 1st February 2017

Post by SpinningHugo »

Counterbalance to the Zunger piece I posted on Trump

https://tompepinsky.com/2017/01/30/weak ... g-leaders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

SpinningHugo wrote:Counterbalance to the Zunger piece I posted on Trump

https://tompepinsky.com/2017/01/30/weak ... g-leaders/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That NonOxCol referenced? ;)

Lakoff has been doing some great interviews with the On The Media team about Bannon and Trump and how they should be considered, reported.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

When the dreadful consequences of "Brexit" become obvious to the public, what will they do?

I believe that they will turn on the politicians who professed to be in favour of remaining "In" who, nevertheless, helped "Brexit" along its way. People will say, "Yes, we took part in the Referendum but, not being experts, we relied upon our elected representatives who have, after all, the inside track, to ensure that this (whatever "this" may be - but I can make a good guess) didn't happen".

And the politicians who will come off worse (again a good guess, I believe) will be Labour politicians. "we elected you to know better than we did" will be the rationale. Maybe unfair, but then life often is, isn't it?

There is, of course, no control experiment - just a "then v now" thing.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I just had a need to check up on this much-lauded triumph of Theresa May's diplomacy.
Standing next to Trump, who nodded along, May said: “On defence and security cooperation, we’re united in our recognition of Nato as the bulwark of our collective defence and we reaffirmed our unshakeable commitment to this alliance. We’re 100% behind Nato.
Even if I were inclined to believe Donald Trump's outpourings, he didn't actually say anything himself, did he? (Please correct me if I'm wrong. I don't count "nodding along" as any guide.)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

StephenDolan wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Counterbalance to the Zunger piece I posted on Trump

That NonOxCol referenced? ;)

Lakoff has been doing some great interviews with the On The Media team about Bannon and Trump and how they should be considered, reported.

Me I think?

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1177#p146852" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

When the dreadful consequences of "Brexit" become obvious to the public, what will they do?

I believe that they will turn on the politicians who professed to be in favour of remaining "In" who, nevertheless, helped "Brexit" along its way. People will say, "Yes, we took part in the Referendum but, not being experts, we relied upon our elected representatives who have, after all, the inside track, to ensure that this (whatever "this" may be - but I can make a good guess) didn't happen".

And the politicians who will come off worse (again a good guess, I believe) will be Labour politicians. "we elected you to know better than we did" will be the rationale. Maybe unfair, but then life often is, isn't it?

It'll be like Iraq. There'll be plenty of people with false memories of how they voted.

On here there will be people claiming they never backed Labour's position, that they were pro-Remain all along.

There won't be many Labour politicians left by then, there'll be some kind of political re-configuration.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Just spotted this if anyone has the time...starts in a few minutes

http://parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/15 ... 9a23ce7353" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Subject: The UK’s negotiating objectives for its withdrawal from the EU
Witnesses:
David Goodhart, Head of the Demography, Immigration, and Integration Unit, Policy Exchange,
Sunder Katwala, Director, British Future, and
Jonathan Portes, Professor of Economics and Public Policy, King's College London
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Morning PF

This is indeed a huge risk with Labour's approach. The stakes are very high. I wonder if there is still a possibility that, if zero amendments are accepted, Labour will turn on the Tories at the final vote.

Labour does have to be able to say at some point "we told you so". The amendments are designed to do that. We told you it would wreck the economy, the NHS, security, research etc.

But yes if none are accepted....
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Morning. Between this and Margaret "vote for catastrophe" Beckett, is it really any wonder those of us who have never voted for another party spend days oscillating between livid and incandescent?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Where's AnatolyKasparov when you want someone to say, "Quiet here today, innit?"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Victoria Derbyshire (on BBC News 24) is covering the state of the NHS on Monday. Asking for contributions from people involved in the NHS. They'll be pretty inundated, I imagine.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-net ... eople-risk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right to rent immigration checks put vulnerable people at risk
John Perry
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Willow904 wrote:Victoria Derbyshire (on BBC News 24) is covering the state of the NHS on Monday. Asking for contributions from people involved in the NHS. They'll be pretty inundated, I imagine.
Bleeding immigrants....

Which reminds me.

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/no ... 11634.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Morning PF

This is indeed a huge risk with Labour's approach. The stakes are very high. I wonder if there is still a possibility that, if zero amendments are accepted, Labour will turn on the Tories at the final vote.

Labour does have to be able to say at some point "we told you so". The amendments are designed to do that. We told you it would wreck the economy, the NHS, security, research etc.

Only fools and WUMs would state what the future will be, at least in politics. However, it seems to me that there is a degree of certainty about what would have happened whatever Brexit position Labour had taken:
Vote against- "Enemy of the people", "Don't trust/listen to the people", some rebels voting 'in line with demands of constituents wishes/principles';
Abstain/Free vote- "Weak leadership", "Indecisive", MPs vote 'in line with demands of constituents wishes/principles';
Vote in favour- Some rebels voting 'in line with demands of constituents wishes/principles';
The last option allows Labour & others to put protective amendments in place, or at least to put the Tories in the position of explicitly refusing to guarantee workers rights, the NHS, tarif-free access to the Single Market, Customs Union etc. There's also the possibility of reversing the whip if it's clear that the Tories are insisting on a hard Brexit. Personally, I can't see that Labour had any other option. What happens over the next couple of weeks is what matters.

Sorry, Morning folks.
Edited to add manners.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

You'd have to go a long way to beat this for a succinct vignette regarding the unutterably depressing f***ing state of Britain today.

https://twitter.com/JackieTeale" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:

Morning PF

Only fools and WUMs would state what the future will be, at least in politics. However, it seems to me that there is a degree of certainty about what would have happened whatever Brexit position Labour had taken:
Vote against- "Enemy of the people", "Don't trust/listen to the people", some rebels voting 'in line with demands of constituents wishes/principles';
Abstain/Free vote- "Weak leadership", "Indecisive", MPs vote 'in line with demands of constituents wishes/principles';
Vote in favour- Some rebels voting 'in line with demands of constituents wishes/principles';
The last option allows Labour & others to put protective amendments in place, or at least to put the Tories in the position of explicitly refusing to guarantee workers rights, the NHS, tarif-free access to the Single Market, Customs Union etc. There's also the possibility of reversing the whip if it's clear that the Tories are insisting on a hard Brexit. Personally, I can't see that Labour had any other option. What happens over the next couple of weeks is what matters.

Sorry, Morning folks.
Edited to add manners.
The last option allows Labour & others to put protective amendments in place, or at least to put the Tories in the position of explicitly refusing to guarantee workers rights, the NHS, tarif-free access to the Single Market, Customs Union etc. my emphasis)
And if the Conservatives do just that (the bolded bit)? Is it then ok to "ignore the will of the people" (who did, we are constantly being told, know exactly what they voted for?)

Edited x2 - typos
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I find this idea that people will blame Labour rather than the Tories - WHO ARE IN POWER AND CARRIED OUT THE REFERENDUM - if Brexit is a disaster pretty absurd to be honest. And a lot of people do *not* think of their elected representatives in that way.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Vicki Young (@BBCVickiYoung)

Listening to Sir Ivan Rogers brings home the huge complexity of our relationship with EU. Affects every aspect of UK economy. #brexit
February 1, 2017

(Politics Live, Guardian)
So why wasn't this complexity examined during the Referendum campaign?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:

It'll be like Iraq. There'll be plenty of people with false memories of how they voted.

On here there will be people claiming they never backed Labour's position, that they were pro-Remain all along.

There won't be many Labour politicians left by then, there'll be some kind of political re-configuration.
Your opinion is worthlesss, you have been wrong on every single great event of the last 18 months, brexit, Trumps nomination, Corbyn, and on top of that you doctor dictionary entries to try and prove your nonsense - inadequately, of course, because you are an inadequate convovulus,.

Im lateto the mock Hugo party today, I shall have to make amends by being a bit more acerbic than usual.

NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Dear god, will it never end...

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote:

Listening to Sir Ivan Rogers brings home the huge complexity of our relationship with EU. Affects every aspect of UK economy. #brexit
February 1, 2017

People's eyes glaze over.
My first reaction when it seemed like leaving the EU was actually going to happen was OMG it'll be a bureaucratic nightmare, but on attempting to put that to others, they just switched off.

i oppose leaving on ideological grounds as well, as I hope you know.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/ ... g-trialled" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Overhaul of UK train ticket pricing to be trialled in May
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

gilsey wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

February 1, 2017

People's eyes glaze over.
My first reaction when it seemed like leaving the EU was actually going to happen was OMG it'll be a bureaucratic nightmare, but on attempting to put that to others, they just switched off.

i oppose leaving on ideological grounds as well, as I hope you know.
Speaking of people switching off:

It's all right though, He's only an MP.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Here's another one:

HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liv ... k-12534096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DWP "apologise" after assessment to work given to woman with mental age of a three-year-old
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SpinningHugo wrote:

What sort of political re-configuration to you envision? Lib/Lab/Green amalgamation? or more profound?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: I find this idea that people will blame Labour rather than the Tories - WHO ARE IN POWER AND CARRIED OUT THE REFERENDUM - if Brexit is a disaster pretty absurd to be honest. And a lot of people do *not* think of their elected representatives in that way.
I think the MPs who vote for Brexit will be blamed, and there is a strong correlation between MPs refusing to back Art 50, and those in Remain seats. Peter Kyle, Clive Lewis, Tulip Saddiq, Daniel Zeichner and so on. The list of rebels against the three line whip in favour of voting with the Tories (which is a bit incomplete I think) is mainly southern, London centric

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... ones-watch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I think there will always be plenty of Brexiters come what may after we leave. The Tories will be fine in vote share terms. Labour MPs who vote for Brexit and then try to disclaim responsibility because not in government deserve nothing but contempt.#

What is sad is how few MPs of actual principle there re. Ann Coffey, who I like, deserves credit for example.

Labour's big problem, and this isn't Corbyn's fault, is that it is neither for nor against. So Remainers, like me, will vote elsewhere. That leaves Labour just with the tribalists who don't really care about Brexit. That is quite a small group of people with personal investment.

When also led by Corbyn, that looks like the perfect storm.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Apparently 49% of people want Trump to come and only 36% are opposed. And then there's this:

The right-wing press are as powerful as they ever were, it seems. And, perhaps crucially, the BBC is no longer a bulwark against such propaganda.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

A guy the vast majority of us laughed at and derided 25 years ago. And this is him right now, responding to Ivan Rogers...

SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AngryAsWell wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

What sort of political re-configuration to you envision? Lib/Lab/Green amalgamation? or more profound?
A best guess?

Labour is going to lose around 50 MPs in the General Election, and the Tories will be returned with a large majority. There will be a very small Lib Dem revival, the Greens will win just one seat,

The fight between Corbyn Supporters v the PLP will then restart, though the PLP by then will have changed with the Blairites almost all gone, and many of the soft left of ability having quit. It will be both a smaller party, and one where the more able have left to do things of more use.

With luck, it will be at that point that the members come to their senses, and a new leader is elected with the sense to reach out to other parties and ditch the wilder aspects of Corbynism. Lewis is clearly positioning himself to be that person. He'll try and do a deal with the Lib Dems and Greens (there is no way any deal is possible with the sectional nationalists).

Or, Labour splits, with the Corbyn rump retreating still further.

By the 2030 election that reconfiguration should be in a position to be competitive with the Tories.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I'm not making this up. Cash has chance to question expert on challenges ahead in most complex bureaucratic process we've ever gone through.

His question is: 'Do you like Brexit?'
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Corbyn's doubled down on linking May to Trump. May was forced to do the same. Interesting how that plays out in the coming months.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://touchstoneblog.org.uk/2017/02/ca ... um=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How can we respond to Trumponomics

http://trumpdonald.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

NonOxCol wrote:Apparently 49% of people want Trump to come and only 36% are opposed. And then there's this:

The right-wing press are as powerful as they ever were, it seems. And, perhaps crucially, the BBC is no longer a bulwark against such propaganda.
I think it is wrong to assume all the 49% are wildly enthusiastic about his visit - many think (incorrectly) that it is something we "have" to do.

I would be very interested to see any polling done re Dubya's state visit in 2003 for comparison.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Wed 01 Feb, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: I find this idea that people will blame Labour rather than the Tories - WHO ARE IN POWER AND CARRIED OUT THE REFERENDUM - if Brexit is a disaster pretty absurd to be honest. And a lot of people do *not* think of their elected representatives in that way.
I think the MPs who vote for Brexit will be blamed, and there is a strong correlation between MPs refusing to back Art 50, and those in Remain seats. Peter Kyle, Clive Lewis, Tulip Saddiq, Daniel Zeichner and so on. The list of rebels against the three line whip in favour of voting with the Tories (which is a bit incomplete I think) is mainly southern, London centric

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... ones-watch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But I think there will always be plenty of Brexiters come what may after we leave. The Tories will be fine in vote share terms. Labour MPs who vote for Brexit and then try to disclaim responsibility because not in government deserve nothing but contempt.#

What is sad is how few MPs of actual principle there re. Ann Coffey, who I like, deserves credit for example.

Labour's big problem, and this isn't Corbyn's fault, is that it is neither for nor against. So Remainers, like me, will vote elsewhere. That leaves Labour just with the tribalists who don't really care about Brexit. That is quite a small group of people with personal investment.

When reading Hugo's posts it is always good to remember that he is not only a proven liar who doctors dictionary entries, he is also a deliberate sower of discord and disharmony - its how he gets his kicks. Just think how happy we would be on this site if his mother had only swallowed?

He is also a very inadequate political commentator, so not only is his opinion worthless because of his many many proven lies and deceits, but there is also the abject record of failure when it comes to predicting political outcomes. I mean this is an individual who claims legal knowledge, but manages to get a supreme court judgement that everyone and my cat - known as Mr Whiskerson - knew was going the other way.

Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

A best guess?

Labour is going to lose around 50 MPs in the General Election, and the Tories will be returned with a large majority. There will be a very small Lib Dem revival, the Greens will win just one seat,

The fight between Corbyn Supporters v the PLP will then restart, though the PLP by then will have changed with the Blairites almost all gone, and many of the soft left of ability having quit. It will be both a smaller party, and one where the more able have left to do things of more use.

With luck, it will be at that point that the members come to their senses, and a new leader is elected with the sense to reach out to other parties and ditch the wilder aspects of Corbynism. Lewis is clearly positioning himself to be that person. He'll try and do a deal with the Lib Dems and Greens (there is no way any deal is possible with the sectional nationalists).

Or, Labour splits, with the Corbyn rump retreating still further.

By the 2030 election that reconfiguration should be in a position to be competitive with the Tories.
Brexit, Trump, Corbyn, Supreme court judgement - You would never be able to live down to your reputation, but I see you're doing your best.

StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

When reading Hugo's posts it is always good to remember that he is not only a proven liar who doctors dictionary entries, he is also a deliberate sower of discord and disharmony - its how he gets his kicks. Just think how happy we would be on this site if his mother had only swallowed?

He is also a very inadequate political commentator, so not only is his opinion worthless because of his many many proven lies and deceits, but there is also the abject record of failure when it comes to predicting political outcomes. I mean this is an individual who claims legal knowledge, but manages to get a supreme court judgement that everyone and my cat - known as Mr Whiskerson - knew was going the other way.

That's ridiculous.

Who calls their cat Mr Whiskerson?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
NonOxCol wrote:Apparently 49% of people want Trump to come and only 36% are opposed. And then there's this:

I think it is wrong to assume all the 49% are wildly enthusiastic about his visit - many think (incorrectly) that it is something we "have" to do.

I would be very interested to see any polling done re Dubya's state visit in 2003 for comparison.
Maybe if they'd asked it in terms of "Given that previous Presidents have had to wait 2-3 years to be invited, should the invite have been made after 7 days?"
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Maybe if they'd asked it in terms of "Given that previous Presidents have had to wait 2-3 years to be invited, should the invite have been made after 7 days?"
Well, exactly. They might have thrown in a mention of Brenda as well (for a reminder of what a state visit actually involves)
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

StephenDolan wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: I think the MPs who vote for Brexit will be blamed, and there is a strong correlation between MPs refusing to back Art 50, and those in Remain seats. Peter Kyle, Clive Lewis, Tulip Saddiq, Daniel Zeichner and so on. The list of rebels against the three line whip in favour of voting with the Tories (which is a bit incomplete I think) is mainly southern, London centric

That's ridiculous.

Who calls their cat Mr Whiskerson?
Well I could hardly call him fluffy!

Oh god I am starting to stray into pop culture references now - for anyone who gets that one - and actually I have a border collie called peppa who cares not a jot for the supreme court judgement, as she has a ball that squeaks that is far more interesting. Oh if only hugo had a ball that squeaked....
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

"It's inside out"
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

HindleA wrote:"It's inside out"
:) at least Im not the only sad fuck who spent far to much time watching E4 in the 90s...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tom Harris ‏@MrTCHarris 35m35 minutes ago

Depressing to see the Labour leader imply (“I have in my hand a piece of paper”) that the Nazi regime was no worse than America in 2017.
I find it depressing that someone allegedly on the left finds it absolutely fine to write for the Daily Telegraph.

Didn't hear what was said but as soon as someone said "imply" you can bet your life it's stretched out of all recognition.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

@Temulkar

Thanks for the contributions which I know are very much valued. Perhaps best not overdo it ;-)

Ta
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Another of those gosh darn coincidences, I'm sure.

Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:@Temulkar

Thanks for the contributions which I know are very much valued. Perhaps best not overdo it ;-)

Ta
Yeah the cat is a bit much isn't it.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

And for anyone thinking the Lib dems are the principled opposition to brexit, they didn't turn up to the debate yesterday, and a third of the party's MPs will be voting to enact A50.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:And for anyone thinking the Lib dems are the principled opposition to brexit, they didn't turn up to the debate yesterday, and a third of the party's MPs will be voting to enact A50.

They have two abstentions, Norman Lamb and Greg Mulholland. None voting for I am aware of.

Greens only party with a coherent position (other than PC and SNP).
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Can it really be the case that everyone on Twitter thinks May is much better than Corbyn because she said "He can lead a protest. I lead a country"?

Like really?