Wednesday 1st February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 1st February 2017

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -offenders" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

May pressured NHS to release confidential data to track immigration offenders
Head of NHS Digital says Theresa May’s Home Office wanted him to hand over patient data despite concern over legal basis
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote:And for anyone thinking the Lib dems are the principled opposition to brexit, they didn't turn up to the debate yesterday, and a third of the party's MPs will be voting to enact A50.

They have two abstentions, Norman Lamb and Greg Mulholland. None voting for I am aware of.

Greens only party with a coherent position (other than PC and SNP).
Remember when I asked for your opinion? Me neither.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Can it really be the case that everyone on Twitter thinks May is much better than Corbyn because she said "He can lead a protest. I lead a country"?

Like really?

Parliamentary sketch writers do, yes. But they are the absolute dregs even as far as political "journalism" is concerned ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Gorsuch expected to follow Scalia's lead in opposing abortion on supreme court

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/fe ... reme-court" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Can it really be the case that everyone on Twitter thinks May is much better than Corbyn because she said "He can lead a protest. I lead a country"?

Like really?
The fact that nobody has the first clue as to where she's leading us - apart from maybe "over a cliff" - seems to be irrelevant.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Just spotted these two comments over at Politics Live, Guardian -
Mick Readdin
11m ago
3 4

Yet again (in the commons) we have Tory MP after Tory MP, lauding the "100% support of NATO" by Trump, and continually reiterated by the PM herself. Does ANYONE really believe he won't take a different view in the months ahead?

Agrajag3k Mick Readdin

3 4

I have yet to hear Trump say it, which can only mean that what he told May in private is in line with Trump's habit of telling everyone he meets exactly what they want to hear, and then doing his own thing.
Glad it's not just me, then.

Edited to add -

re my earlier comment here ( somewhere on page 1)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh dear...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael Crick Verified account
‏@MichaelLCrick

EXCLUSIVE: 65 Oxford St, Stoke which Nuttall put on nomination form as home address. He admits he's never been there
Taxi for Nuttall!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear...

‏@MichaelLCrick

EXCLUSIVE: 65 Oxford St, Stoke which Nuttall put on nomination form as home address. He admits he's never been there
Taxi for Nuttall!
Marvellous.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/2/section/65A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Oh dear...

‏@MichaelLCrick

Taxi for Nuttall!
Does he have any connection (eg pays the rent) whatsoever with the address? If so, I think there are some ways for him to get out of this situation. Unfortunately.

Edited - typo
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 01 Feb, 2017 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Watch out for this one. It's going to be the new Corbynite excuse, replacing "we had a leadership contest" for his deplorable ratings.
“Labour faces an existential crisis now” – not my words but those of a senior trade union official, whose roots in and loyalty to the party are impeccable. His observation that “while full-time union officials and shop stewards supported remain, workforces tended to opt for leave in the referendum”, presents a mirror image of the split in American unions between leaders who supported the Democrats and their members who often voted for Trump.

A similar scenario has been played out in the Labour party, with local party officials and members more often supporting remain, while three quarters of actual Labour constituencies have majorities who voted to leave the EU. Now, as frontbenchers and shadow cabinet members resign and a group of rebel Labour MPs puts forward a Commons motion to throw out the government’s bill to trigger article 50, there is a deep sense of foreboding, frustration and some anger among many of their colleagues.
So speaks Mark Seddon.

Problems in heartlands aren't to do with Corbyn having no appeal, oh no. It's Catherine West and Jo Stevens etc voting against Brexit, like their constituents. I'd venture enough Labour voters in Stoke could get their heads round that.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

The attack on Trump racism is good.

Now, if the frontbench could join the dots with Hard Brexit, shit trade deals and diplomatic isolation, maybe we'd get somewhere.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Watch out for this one. It's going to be the new Corbynite excuse, replacing "we had a leadership contest" for his deplorable ratings.
“Labour faces an existential crisis now” – not my words but those of a senior trade union official, whose roots in and loyalty to the party are impeccable. His observation that “while full-time union officials and shop stewards supported remain, workforces tended to opt for leave in the referendum”, presents a mirror image of the split in American unions between leaders who supported the Democrats and their members who often voted for Trump.

A similar scenario has been played out in the Labour party, with local party officials and members more often supporting remain, while three quarters of actual Labour constituencies have majorities who voted to leave the EU. Now, as frontbenchers and shadow cabinet members resign and a group of rebel Labour MPs puts forward a Commons motion to throw out the government’s bill to trigger article 50, there is a deep sense of foreboding, frustration and some anger among many of their colleagues.
So speaks Mark Seddon.

Problems in heartlands aren't to do with Corbyn having no appeal, oh no. It's Catherine West and Jo Stevens etc voting against Brexit, like their constituents. I'd venture enough Labour voters in Stoke could get their heads round that.
Tubby can you explain this so a simple soul like me can understand? Thanks ;-)
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

A quote from the beginning of Neil Gaiman's novel version of 'Neverwhere', which seems generally relevant...
When he had first arrived, he had found London huge, odd, fundamentally incomprehensible, with only the Tube map, that elegant multicolored topographical display of underground railway lines and stations, giving it any semblance of order. Gradually he realized that the Tube map was a handy fiction that made life easier but bore no resemblance to the reality of the shape of the city above. It was like belonging to a political party, he thought once, proudly, and then, having tried to explain the resemblance between the Tube map and politics, at a party, to a cluster of bewildered strangers, he had decided in the future to leave political comment to others.
I still believe in a town called Hope
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Watch out for this one. It's going to be the new Corbynite excuse, replacing "we had a leadership contest" for his deplorable ratings.

So speaks Mark Seddon.

It looks like the new "line" on why Labour is underperforming to me.

What's the bigger problem? Some MPs whose constituencies voted Remain voting against Brexit? Or the leader being rated 14% for best PM? I'd suggest the former isn't a problem at all. Why would anyone in Stoke care?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is brilliant.

https://twitter.com/TrumpDraws" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Law and policy ‏@Law_and_policy 1m1 minute ago

A room somewhere in Whitehall.

An otherwise blank sheet of paper is headed "Brexit White Paper".

Quiet.

"Ok, we have until tomorrow."
:D
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Quiet.

Law and policy ‏@Law_and_policy 3m3 minutes ago

Labour: we will support Article 50 in return for White Paper.

HMG: White Paper after we have your votes.

Labour: OK, then.
It is all so funny.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
So speaks Mark Seddon.

What's the bigger problem? Some MPs whose constituencies voted Remain voting against Brexit? Or the leader being rated 14% for best PM? I'd suggest the former isn't a problem at all. Why would anyone in Stoke care?
This line is not, I think, wholly wrong. Labour is stuffed on Brexit whatever it does, and that isn't entirely down to Corbyn. His "leadership" has, of course, hit the same standards we have come to expect, but the problems are structural. Most people care more about Brexit than they do party loyalty. They're right. Labour's position on Brexit is incomprehensible. The party of the 0%. Even Wilson in his prime would have had difficulty managing it.

Look at your yourself. Your decision to swap parties (outside Wales) was, in the end, driven by Brexit, not Corbyn. I'd left Labour before Brexit, but only plumped for another party after Brexit forced me to choose.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Too broad?

Nope. Reality.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Quiet.

Law and policy ‏@Law_and_policy 3m3 minutes ago

Labour: we will support Article 50 in return for White Paper.

HMG: White Paper after we have your votes.

Labour: OK, then.
It is all so funny.

Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Tubby can you explain this so a simple soul like me can understand? Thanks ;-)

This line is not, I think, wholly wrong. Labour is stuffed on Brexit whatever it does, and that isn't entirely down to Corbyn. His "leadership" has, of course, hit the same standards we have come to expect, but the problems are structural. Most people care more about Brexit than they do party loyalty. They're right. Labour's position on Brexit is incomprehensible. The party of the 0%. Even Wilson in his prime would have had difficulty managing it.

Look at your yourself. Your decision to swap parties (outside Wales) was, in the end, driven by Brexit, not Corbyn. I'd left Labour before Brexit, but only plumped for another party after Brexit forced me to choose.
I'd like to see things from your point of view but I can't seem to get my head that far up my ass.

PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
So speaks Mark Seddon.

Thanks I understand now - though I think you may be reading too much into it ;-)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote: It is all so funny.
I find it helps to keep a sense of humour about everything right now...
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: It is all so funny.
I find it helps to keep a sense of humour about everything right now...
In a Heller, Orwell, Strangelove kinda way...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

DfE officials having a real hard time from Richard Bacon at PAC on the task of consolidating 2,910 different companies into DfE accounts - all of them with a different year end date to that of the department.

Who would have thought that this might have been a problem?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Republicans change rules so Democrats cannot block controversial Trump Cabinet picks

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 57391.html
The Senate committee has approved President Donald Trump's picks for Health and Treasury secretaries after majority Republicans suspended the panel's rules.

The rule they suspended requires at least one Democrat to be present for votes. It was the latest escalation in partisan tensions in the new Congress.
Move along now, nothing to see here...right?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Labour’s Mike Gapes says that, by triggering article 50 early, the government will be putting the UK on an escalator it will not be able to get off. It should have waited until the Irish court case determines whether or not article 50 is reversible, he says.

From AS blog

Spot on Mike
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Republicans change rules so Democrats cannot block controversial Trump Cabinet picks

The Senate committee has approved President Donald Trump's picks for Health and Treasury secretaries after majority Republicans suspended the panel's rules.

The rule they suspended requires at least one Democrat to be present for votes. It was the latest escalation in partisan tensions in the new Congress.
Next, the 60 vote requirement for the SC appointment...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

https://twitter.com/EmmaJThomas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ukip sources tell a local political reporter that Nuttall will be moving in 'very soon'.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... eau-mosque" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fox News deletes false Québec shooting tweet after Canadian PM's office steps in
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Labour’s Mike Gapes says that, by triggering article 50 early, the government will be putting the UK on an escalator it will not be able to get off. It should have waited until the Irish court case determines whether or not article 50 is reversible, he says.

From AS blog

Spot on Mike
Yeah. Not to mention the White Paper not being published.

What a farce. A sitter to make the point that this is a rush job, with as little scrutiny as possible. But vote for it anyway, 3 line whip.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Labour’s Mike Gapes says that, by triggering article 50 early, the government will be putting the UK on an escalator it will not be able to get off. It should have waited until the Irish court case determines whether or not article 50 is reversible, he says.

From AS blog

Spot on Mike
Yeah. Not to mention the White Paper not being published.

What a farce. A sitter to make the point that this is a rush job, with as little scrutiny as possible. But vote for it anyway, 3 line whip.
I can't see how anybody, Labour or Tory, can vote for without a White Paper.

Stewart Wood is good on this

Those who vote the wrong way on this should not be forgotten.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Republicans change rules so Democrats cannot block controversial Trump Cabinet picks

Obama's fault for using an executive order on immigration, no doubt.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:https://twitter.com/EmmaJThomas

Ukip sources tell a local political reporter that Nuttall will be moving in 'very soon'.
Just after he's rung the agent and said "You know you have a flat in Stoke...has it gone? I need it urgently. Like in 30 minutes."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AS' blog has a quote from a Politicshome piece that made me chuckle.

'One well-placed source said ''Corbyn's team are very irritated with Clive. By resigning, he will get the love and support of all the young lefty members who are appalled by Corbyn's stance on Article 50'' '.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Another one in the Academisation: A license to hand lots of dosh to the private sector - a never-ending series...

Cash-strapped academy chain could spend more than £1m on PR

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... re-ps1m-pr
Ormiston Academies Trust, which runs 29 schools, is looking for a PR agency to provide a "cost-effective and efficient supply solution, for reputation, media relations and crisis management, and fundraising support service that is suitable for the trust's head office and all Ormiston academies".

According to an online contract notice revealed by PR Week, the estimated value for the work is up to £1,080,000, including VAT.
:wall:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nigel Farage among Ukip MEPs accused of misusing EU funds

Eight Ukip MEPs including Paul Nuttall may be forced to repay £500,000 if they are found to have breached EU funding rules (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-eu-funds
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote:
Nigel Farage among Ukip MEPs accused of misusing EU funds

Eight Ukip MEPs including Paul Nuttall may be forced to repay £500,000 if they are found to have breached EU funding rules (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... g-eu-funds
Most UKIP supporters wouldn't see ripping off the EU as a problem necessarily...means to an end.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

yahyah wrote:AS' blog has a quote from a Politicshome piece that made me chuckle.

'One well-placed source said ''Corbyn's team are very irritated with Clive. By resigning, he will get the love and support of all the young lefty members who are appalled by Corbyn's stance on Article 50'' '.
Some party insiders now believe Team Corbyn could use Lewis’ departure as an opportunity to promote another bright young thing.

“I think there’s a good chance they’ll move Rebecca Long-Bailey from shadow chief secretary to shadow business to replace Clive,” says one. “They are really pushing her - it looks like she is now Jeremy’s chosen successor. Shifting her gives her profile plus a platform to build alliances with the trade unions.
Bit premature? I thought Lewis was going to vote against only if no amendments were passed?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I thought that when I read it. A foregone conclusion that the amendments don't stand a chance ?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
yahyah wrote:AS' blog has a quote from a Politicshome piece that made me chuckle.

Some party insiders now believe Team Corbyn could use Lewis’ departure as an opportunity to promote another bright young thing.

“I think there’s a good chance they’ll move Rebecca Long-Bailey from shadow chief secretary to shadow business to replace Clive,” says one. “They are really pushing her - it looks like she is now Jeremy’s chosen successor. Shifting her gives her profile plus a platform to build alliances with the trade unions.
Bit premature? I thought Lewis was going to vote against only if no amendments were passed?
How could an amendment pass? Why should the government make concessions, given Labour's unconditional support? The amendments are just a dance.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Up to 7 Welsh Labour rebels now.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:

How could an amendment pass? Why should the government make concessions, given Labour's unconditional support? The amendments are just a dance.
Let's see shall we?

Your predictions on all this have been pretty much a crock of the proverbial so far, so no reason to think your forecasts are any better than anyone else's ;-)
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Indeed while a little speculation is great fun, there's danger that our conversations become no better than the MSM we seek to escape, with gossip and intrigue replacing the incisive critique we can be so good at.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

:lol:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 18.15.35.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-01 at 18.15.35.png (250.58 KiB) Viewed 11841 times
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
I can't see how anybody, Labour or Tory, can vote for without a White Paper.

Stewart Wood is good on this

Those who vote the wrong way on this should not be forgotten.
Indeed. Good to see Wood make the point about French and German elections. I've felt like I must be going mad that nobody else had picked up on it.

It's a farce of Parliamentary procedure.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

There is absolutely no incentive for Mayham to give any concessions to anyone once she knows she will get a yes vote for A50. So no chance of her letting any of the amendments through.
All hinges on the final vote and what happens then.
(There is a second vote? Or have I misunderstood - again)
Osborne hitting out now (on R4)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Oh, don't be a spoilsport Paul.
The only semi-positive thing to come out of this whole sorry Lexit/Brexit mess is that St Jez's halo has slipped. It's only human nature to want to gossip about how far it's going to fall.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anyway, I need cheering up.
Tripped on a kerb edge and fell head first today. Twisted my ankle, tore the knee of my new trousers and grazed my knee through the hole. Am confined to the sofa now and in pain, couldn't go coastal walking as we'd planned. Dreaming of a new idol for the grassroots helps take the pain away.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Rachel Maskell's resigned from the front bench after meeting with Corbyn.