Wednesday 1st February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Re: Wednesday 1st February 2017

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

Evening folks,
Here's Chi Onwura explaining why her support for a second reading is anything but 'unconditional', as I think a WUM would put it.
I'll vote for debate on #Article50, but not for this Govt's dystopian, alt-right, free market vision. My speech: goo.gl/QOIhFZ
PS - I hope the link embedded in the tweet works. I'm off to the match in a minute and don't have time to check.
Cheers.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Rachel Maskell, Dawn Butler resign.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... ne-compost" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mais wee, monsieur: Paris finds eco solution to public peeing
Boxes installed in French capital convert urine into compost for use in parks, and absorb unpleasant smell
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... hane-parks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Republicans target environmental rules protecting parks and limiting methane
Congress begins effort to remove Obama-era protections, including measures to keep people safe when mountaintops are blown off to reach coal
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

MPs in college towns, like Rachel Maskell, don't fancy Lib Dems (maybe with a snappy student fees policy) and Greens coming after them.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

55DegreesNorth wrote:Evening folks,
Here's Chi Onwura explaining why her support for a second reading is anything but 'unconditional', as I think a WUM would put it.
I'll vote for debate on #Article50, but not for this Govt's dystopian, alt-right, free market vision. My speech: goo.gl/QOIhFZ
PS - I hope the link embedded in the tweet works. I'm off to the match in a minute and don't have time to check.
Cheers.
She's good, Chi Onwura.

Miliband didn't use her properly.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

It isn't a vote for a debate on Article 50 though is it?

Who's ever heard of a vote for a debate on something?

It's a vote for Article 50.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... sia-stance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ukraine clashes leave several dead and test Trump's Russia stance
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:MPs in college towns, like Rachel Maskell, don't fancy Lib Dems (maybe with a snappy student fees policy) and Greens coming after them.

I think that is what is so revealing. With one or two exceptions (stand up Ann Coffey - who won't stand again) the rebels look a bit opportunist.

Has the PLP become this spineless? Can they really not see how bad this is?
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Wed 01 Feb, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Yes, if the bill is passed then Article 50 can be triggered. That's more than a debate.
Can't help wondering if some of the language is deliberate obfuscation.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I think resigning from the Shadow Cabinet takes a bit of doing, whatever the domestic issues.

The Welsh MPs include some from Leave areas- Bryant, Smith, Clwyd, Moon, maybe more. The MP for Delyn ought to be thinking very seriously about rebelling as well, given that Airbus is very worried.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:Yes, if the bill is passed then Article 50 can be triggered. That's more than a debate.
Can't help wondering if some of the language is deliberate obfuscation.
Sometimes they do have to circles to square, and that might involve bullshitting. You can't just rebel like Corbyn did so often.

But I reckon she knows that bit is rubbish. Hopefully she can do a Clive Lewis and bail out later.

She might have a new more senior job by then.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... travel-ban" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UN chief decries discriminatory border bans in rebuke to Trump travel decree
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... om-reuters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Finsbury Park mosque wins apology and damages from Thomson Reuters
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Not unexpected rebel.
Labour’s Rushanara Ali, MP for Bethnal Green and Bow, says up to 100,000 jobs in the City could be at risk from Brexit. That would affect her constituents. And she says it is not just top City jobs that would go. There are many ordinary jobs dependent on financial services, she says. She says she will vote against the bill.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/t ... ess-234455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

White House ices out CNN
Trump administration refuses to put officials on air on the network the president called 'fake news.'
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Jenny Chapman.
Back in the Commons Chapman says Brexit must work for all communities, especially the most disadvantaged. Labour will do its duty. Quoting FD Roosevelt, she says Labour must be a party of liberal thought, planned action, enlightened international outlook, and one that wants the the greatest good for all citizens. It is not a party just for the 48% who voted to remain, but for everyone, she says.
Navel gazing. And rather betraying that you're voting for the opposite of this.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

David Jones is now addressing the role of parliament. The prime minister has said parliament will have the final say on the deal, he says.

He says the white paper will be published tomorrow. But it is entirely separate from this bill, he says.
Bollocks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

arch-Corbynite (not!) Chapman says that?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Sam Freedman ‏@Samfr 5m5 minutes ago

Sam Freedman Retweeted Burgess Everett

Looking possible that Trump's education nomination Betsy DeVos could be defeated. Collins is a GOP senator.
And Collins said No.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Hanny
Backbencher

Post by Hanny »

I am a grandma of eight and am interested,as a remainer, in what is happening re the referendum.I followed yahyah for a long time on AS,mainly re the NHS and SC Act.I know there are some nice people on this board,like Tubby, Willow,citizen.PF and many more.I have been shocked and upset at the bullying,borderline abusive behaviour of Temullkar and followers,towards SH and think it is out of all proportion to anything SH could have said.In fact,if we are talking trolls,it sounds as if there is a very unpleasant stalker out there, ready to jump at anything SH says.I wonder if it occurs to people that this will put off new people signing up.I know people have robust views on forums but this has got very unpleasant and you need to stop it.I cannot believe that it is a teacher acting like this.No doubt I will be moderated and this comment will not see the light of day.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

^^^

So which one is this I wonder - Rusty or that dopey female sidekick of his?

A bit too obvious given certain tweets today that I caught sight of...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Hanny wrote:I am a grandma of eight and am interested,as a remainer, in what is happening re the referendum.I followed yahyah for a long time on AS,mainly re the NHS and SC Act.I know there are some nice people on this board,like Tubby, Willow,citizen.PF and many more.I have been shocked and upset at the bullying,borderline abusive behaviour of Temullkar and followers,towards SH and think it is out of all proportion to anything SH could have said.In fact,if we are talking trolls,it sounds as if there is a very unpleasant stalker out there, ready to jump at anything SH says.I wonder if it occurs to people that this will put off new people signing up.I know people have robust views on forums but this has got very unpleasant and you need to stop it.I cannot believe that it is a teacher acting like this.No doubt I will be moderated and this comment will not see the light of day.
Hi Hanny and welcome!

Thanks for this contribution.

It's highly unlikely to be moderated. We don't have moderators here. Just Refitman and me and occasionally others who will respond when asked by other members.

Someone else did message about Temulkar earlier, hence my brief informal request to him. But the consensus here is pretty much to let things go unless they compromise the integrity of the site. You can choose to block other members I believe. Just don't ask me how! ;-) (Ask Refitman)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:^^^

Nothing to do with me FWIIW, which I assume the mods can tell.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

User control panel,friends and foes,manage foes,put name,submit.I think.I don't use it myself,it would be superfluous you're all bastards.

Said with love.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:^^^

Nothing to do with me FWIIW, which I assume the mods can tell.
There are no mods!

Me and Refitman are rockers ;-)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/08/23/ ... t-anything" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... bs-scandal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

François Fillon fights to save presidential bid amid fake jobs scandal
French rightwing candidate was favourite to win but latest poll shows him being eliminated in first round as backlash grows
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Labour MPs voting for the SNP amendment:

Heidi Alexander
Rushanara Ali
Graham allen
Luciana Berger
Ben Bradshaw
Kevin Brennan
Lyn Brown
Chris Bryant
Ann Clywd
Ann Coffey
Neil Coyle
Mary Creagh
Stella Creasey
Stephen Doughty
Jin Dowd
Maria Eagle
Louise Ellman
Paul Farrelly
Mike Gapes
Helen Hayes
Meg Hillier
Peter Kyle
David Lammy
Rachael Maskell
Catherine McKinnell
Madelaine Moon
Ian Murray
Stephen Pound
Jeff Smith
Owen Smith
Jo Stevens
Stephen Timms
Daniel Zeichner

50 SNP
3 Independent
Caroline Lucas
3 SDLP
7 LDs
2 Plaid Cymru
Ken Clarke
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Sorry can we just go back to Jenny Chapman for a moment?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

pk1 wrote:Labour MPs voting for the SNP amendment:

Heidi Alexander
Rushanara Ali
Graham allen
Luciana Berger
Ben Bradshaw
Kevin Brennan
Lyn Brown
Chris Bryant
Ann Clywd
Ann Coffey
Neil Coyle
Mary Creagh
Stella Creasey
Stephen Doughty
Jin Dowd
Maria Eagle
Louise Ellman
Paul Farrelly
Mike Gapes
Helen Hayes
Meg Hillier
Peter Kyle
David Lammy
Rachael Maskell
Catherine McKinnell
Madelaine Moon
Ian Murray
Stephen Pound
Jeff Smith
Owen Smith
Jo Stevens
Stephen Timms
Daniel Zeichner

50 SNP
3 Independent
Caroline Lucas
3 SDLP
7 LDs
2 Plaid Cymru
Ken Clarke
My word it was heresy round here before the GE to consort with the SNP ;-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Seems in line with predictions.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello nestlings.
Garden of Eden stuff again.
Temulkar does lack manners, I'm afraid.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-evening, everyone.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@yahyah - ouch, that fall sounds nasty. Surely you could find a less painful way of getting out of making dinner though ! Rest up & recover well xx
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

So the Lib Dems have 7 out of 9, and 2 abstentions.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

pk1 wrote:@yahyah - ouch, that fall sounds nasty. Surely you could find a less painful way of getting out of making dinner though ! Rest up & recover well xx
Seconded. Sounds awful.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Hanny wrote:I am a grandma of eight and am interested,as a remainer, in what is happening re the referendum.I followed yahyah for a long time on AS,mainly re the NHS and SC Act.I know there are some nice people on this board,like Tubby, Willow,citizen.PF and many more.I have been shocked and upset at the bullying,borderline abusive behaviour of Temullkar and followers,towards SH and think it is out of all proportion to anything SH could have said.In fact,if we are talking trolls,it sounds as if there is a very unpleasant stalker out there, ready to jump at anything SH says.I wonder if it occurs to people that this will put off new people signing up.I know people have robust views on forums but this has got very unpleasant and you need to stop it.I cannot believe that it is a teacher acting like this.No doubt I will be moderated and this comment will not see the light of day.
LOL
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

On the subject of new posters, can I just offer a general welcome to anyone who wants to share their thoughts on politics from a vaguely left wing perspective. I'm always interested in what people have to say about the political news of the day and the more the merrier.

I do, however, have reservations about a preponderance of posts about other posters. This is a general comment not aimed at anyone in particular. When disagreements are aired via a conversation between posters, this is fine, but when comments are posted about other posters in a general way, I don't feel it adds anything useful to the debate about politicians and politics.

Feel free to disagree.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Hi Hanny and welcome!

Thanks for this contribution.

It's highly unlikely to be moderated. We don't have moderators here. Just Refitman and me and occasionally others who will respond when asked by other members.

Someone else did message about Temulkar earlier, hence my brief informal request to him. But the consensus here is pretty much to let things go unless they compromise the integrity of the site. You can choose to block other members I believe. Just don't ask me how! ;-) (Ask Refitman)

I've promised not to post any more pictures of Mr Whiskerson...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Paul Farrelly is being brave there. Newcastle-under-Lyme. Hope he can sell that, in spite of his own leader framing it as voting against the British people.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

47 Lab MPs voting against triggering A50:

all as before, plus:

Dr Rosena Allin-Khan
Karen Buck
Dawn Butler
Ruth Cadbury
Thangham Debbonaire
Vicky Foxcroft
Lilian Greenwood
Rupa Huq
Kerry McCarthy
Virendra Sharma
Tulip Siddiq
Andy Slaughter
Catherine West
Dr Alan Whitehead
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Masterpiece of party management there. That's 1/5 of the PLP voting against, plus no doubt, a few abstentions.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Masterpiece of party management there. That's 1/5 of the PLP voting against, plus no doubt, a few abstentions.
167 voted for the bill. 167 + 47 = 214 meaning 15 abstentions

edit to correct my maths
Last edited by pk1 on Wed 01 Feb, 2017 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Masterpiece of party management there. That's 1/5 of the PLP voting against, plus no doubt, a few abstentions.

Third reading is the big one. 55 or so then?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

yahyah wrote:Anyway, I need cheering up.
Tripped on a kerb edge and fell head first today. Twisted my ankle, tore the knee of my new trousers and grazed my knee through the hole. Am confined to the sofa now and in pain, couldn't go coastal walking as we'd planned. Dreaming of a new idol for the grassroots helps take the pain away.
Awww big hugs Yahyah hope you heal quickly. Sounds horrid.
:hug: :hug:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news ... =hootsuite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled people tell UN committee that UK is failing on international rights convention
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SpinningHugo wrote:

I've been cooking and lost track.
Is the 3rd reading tonight or later in the week ?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Voting against the programme motion:

44 Lab:

Alexander
Ali
Allen
Berger
Bradshaw
L Brown
Bryant
Coffey
Coyle
Creagh
Creasy
Doughty
Dowd
M Eagle
A Eagle
Ellman
Farrelly
Gapes
Green
Hayes
Hillier
Kendall
Kyle
Lammy
Leslie
MacTaggart
Malhotra
Marris
Maskell
McCabe
McCarthy
McFadden
Moon
Murray
Pound
Sharma
Sheerman
Siddiq
O Smith
Stevens
Timms
Umunna
K Vaz
Zeichner

50 SNP
3 Independent
8 LD
Lucas
3 SDLP
Ken Clarke
2 PC
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:

Could be fewer. Blah blah seen the plan now, it's got some stuff in I agree with, blah.