Thursday 2nd February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Re: Thursday 2nd February 2017

Post by Temulkar »

Oh come on, if you are going to give me a bad review out of spite at least keep it there and let me get the benefit, don't take it down... IT was a cowardly thing to do in the first place, taking it down just compounds the cowardice.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael Fallon: British government could block a Scottish referendum
UK defence secretary says government could deny giving Holyrood the legal power to stage a snap independence vote
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well yes, but as a certain poster likes to remind us you have got a fair amount of stuff wrong recently ;)

Have I?

I did, I accept, shout long and hard that the government should win the Brexit case. It should have.

See this at 17.40

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

but as you'll see on my review of the year

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2016 ... he-year-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Predicting what the judges will do is not the same thing as saying what the law is. I think the dissentients were clearly right and there is no answer to them.

I don't think I ever have made any predictions on Trump or the US have I?

Going further back, the polling just before May 2015 convinced me we'd have a hung parliament and Miliband would be PM. I was wrong about that, but not wrong I think that Labour was badly led 2010-2015 and lost an election that with a different leader would now mean it would be in power. But for Charlie Whelan in 2010, I don't think the 2015 election outcome would have been the same, we would have had no Corbyn and no Brexit. That was the tipping point, which is why i was so angry.

Like most, I didn't foresee Corbyn's victory in 2015, though i did say he would win easily in 2016. I did very loudly say why he would be a disaster and that Labour couldn't function as an opposition with him in charge, and I am pretty sure that has been vindicated.

On the Brexit vote I thought Remain would just win, but there I was very nervous about that, see my blog for proof.

The biggest of those is, I suppose, the first example. When I first studied law, I thought if i didn't understand something the fault was with me. Now I don't. That may be arrogance, but there we are. I have read the majority judgement in Miller several times. I cannot reconstruct the argument they make, it is just obviously wrong. See

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2017 ... stitution/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2017 ... es-of-law/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:Oh come on, if you are going to give me a bad review out of spite at least keep it there and let me get the benefit, don't take it down... IT was a cowardly thing to do in the first place, taking it down just compounds the cowardice.

Again, let me stress that this isn't me. I don't know your name or what you write.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

This happens nearly every day:

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Meanwhile away from A50 and Brexit, Yvette Cooper's latest brilliant and inspirational idea is to call for a "debate on immigration" :roll:

As if we haven't been already talking about it for years and years now!

Some people here voted for her as leader, didn't they? ;)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Meanwhile away from A50 and Brexit, Yvette Cooper's latest brilliant and inspirational idea is to call for a "debate on immigration" :roll:

Yes. I'm afraid so - but there wasn't much on the menu, was there?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote:Oh come on, if you are going to give me a bad review out of spite at least keep it there and let me get the benefit, don't take it down... IT was a cowardly thing to do in the first place, taking it down just compounds the cowardice.

Again, let me stress that this isn't me. I don't know your name or what you write.
It wasnt written in your style, Convolvulus, so fret not I know it wasn't you personally. Most people write and punctuate with an individual style online, and the reviewers is particularly easy to spot, so...

I'm more gutted that they took it down, as I said last night I benefited from it, so... should have kept my moth shut and pretended to seethe. Ah well easy come easy go.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

StephenDolan wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Labour lost its overall majority on a major London borough today as a councillor defected to the Liberal Democrats over Europe.

Tower Hamlets councillor Andrew Cregan revealed his decision exclusively to the Evening Standard and said Jeremy Corbyn’s decision to support the Government on triggering Article 50 had been the last straw.

It is a blow to John Biggs, the Labour executive mayor who won control of the strife-torn borough in 2015 after disgraced Lutfur Rahman was removed from office.

The balance of power now swings from a 24-22 Labour majority to no overall control.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 56276.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stephen Bush in the NS yesterday claimed 7000 people had resigned their Labour membership over the party stance on Brexit.

How many more will join them :(
I wonder how he's got this number?
He says he is 'reliably informed'.
Hardly surprising that some people would vote with their feet.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/st ... live-lewis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Did we do this? I honestly can't remember anymore. Anyway, it's quite scary:

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
yahyah wrote:Channel 4 [or was it Sky News ?] showed a vox pop from Stoke.
Two women expressed support for what Trump was doing. One linked Paul Nuttall to Trump [she said something like 'he knows him doesn't he ?] and sounded enthusiastic because of that.

This is genuinely scary. Only two people expressing those views but they won't be alone in the country and are ripe for picking by the far right.
Polls consistently show that Trump is highly unpopular here. The attempt by some elements of the right wing press to sanitise him will fail.

Please don't take "vox pops" as indicative of anything whatsoever.

I took that attitude when I heard similar reports where people expressed a liking for Ukip and Brexit.
Look how that worked out.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Meanwhile away from A50 and Brexit, Yvette Cooper's latest brilliant and inspirational idea is to call for a "debate on immigration" :roll:

Guilty, but I like to feel I made up for it, by voting for Corbyn last time...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Two women expressed support for what Trump was doing. One linked Paul Nuttall to Trump [she said something like 'he knows him doesn't he ?] and sounded enthusiastic because of that.

This is genuinely scary. Only two people expressing those views but they won't be alone in the country and are ripe for picking by the far right.
Polls consistently show that Trump is highly unpopular here. The attempt by some elements of the right wing press to sanitise him will fail.

I took that attitude when I heard similar reports where people expressed a liking for Ukip and Brexit.
But polls always indicated the referendum was likely to be close, so its not really comparable in that respect.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Haven't had time to read last night, was it full throated and frank ?

Can't help thinking Brexit is like my fall on the pavement. I was aching last night, but this morning pain and bruising has started in areas that didn't hurt yesterday, places where no direct contact was made with the ground. Brexit will be the same.
I've not read today's thread here in its entirety, yahyah. I did see you'd took a fall yesterday and I hope you're better, darling.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good-afternoon, everyone.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

They indicate how pathetic our 'news' media is.

I saw a US vox pop yesterday, a youngish man saying Trump was doing the right thing to keep americans safe. White men shoot people all the time and that's ok, obvs.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

They indicate how pathetic our 'news' media is
I remember reading something from a media "insider" a few years ago about how easily they could be - and were - manipulated.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

gilsey wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... blic-roads

Volvo seeks volunteers for self-driving car trial in UK
London testing of semi-autonomous vehicles on public roads is to be conducted in tandem with one in Gothenburg, Sweden
Anyone here know what the point of self-driving cars is? Can't see it myself.
I'm intrigued on how they'll react to obstructions. If they stop when someone stands in their way, could it lead to a renaissance in highway robbery?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

An article I have done on historical perspective and the future in light of recent events.

http://jemahlevans.wixsite.com/jemahlev ... the-Future" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

What the white paper says about border with Ireland

The white paper restates the government’s desire to keep an open border with Ireland. But it does not give a firm commitment on this. Note the word “aim” in paragraph 4.4.

We recognise that for the people of Northern Ireland and Ireland, the ability to move freely across the border is an essential part of daily life. When the UK leaves the EU we aim to have as seamless and frictionless a border as possible between Northern Ireland and Ireland, so that we can continue to see the trade and everyday movements we have seen up to now. (Politics Live, Guardian)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wasn't your first choice Burnham, and Kendall as your second choice on the ballot paper ?

There wasn't anyone on the ballot who did not/does not disappoint at times. Some more than others.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

David LammyVerified account
‏@DavidLammy

The very first words of the Government's Red, Blue and White Paper. Well that's all sorted then. God help us. #BrexitWhitePaper

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

(Or, "What-ho Big Britainers!")
brilliant
:rock:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:

London testing of semi-autonomous vehicles on public roads is to be conducted in tandem with one in Gothenburg, Sweden
No.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
yahyah wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Polls consistently show that Trump is highly unpopular here. The attempt by some elements of the right wing press to sanitise him will fail.

But polls always indicated the referendum was likely to be close, so its not really comparable in that respect.
You do remember that the Ukip/Brexit stuff went on for some years ?
So it is comparable.

In 2005 Ukip won 2.2%, in 2010 they won 3.1% at the general election. In 2015 they won 12.6%.
Someone could have said in 2005 that Ukip were not a threat because they weren't very popular in the polls. Things aren't static. They don't stay the same.

Why are you so sure that people who have swallowed the Ukip line on immigration/EU etc. won't veer into supporting someone more overtly extreme if a candidate comes along ?
People like us are horrified at what's happening across the pond, others, like one of the women who spoke in the tv report, think 'something must be done, it's gone too far'.

Why would there not be some pressure from 'the people' to take a hard line like Trump is ?
And if, god forbid, the 'will of the people' is strong enough, our politics gets pushed even further to the right ? Are you saying that no right wing party would try and get support for Trump like policies ? Particularly with people like Aaron Banks hovering with his chequebook open.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

What the white paper says about no deal being better than a bad deal

And this is what the white paper says in paragraph 12.3, about no deal being better than a bad deal. (My bold type.)

We are confident that the UK and the EU can reach a positive deal on our future partnership, as this would be to the mutual benefit of both the UK and the EU, and we will approach the negotiations in this spirit. However, the Government is clear that no deal for the UK is better than a bad deal for the UK. In any eventuality we will ensure that our economic and other functions can continue, including by passing legislation as necessary to mitigate the effects of failing to reach a deal.

In her Lancaster House speech Theresa May also said that no deal would be better than a bad deal. She said that, if the EU refused to be cooperated, the UK may retaliate by changing “the basis of Britain’s economic model” but she did not elaborate on what this might mean. The white paper suggests the government may prepare precautionary legislation. It does not say what this legislation might involve, but the Financial Times recently published a good article (subcription) looking in detail at what May’s plan B might involve. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Does anyone here know\have access to the FT article mentioned above, please?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This sentence needs to be repeated to all of the "we want our sovereignty back" leavers.

If they were being honest they'd admit that the reason it hasn't always felt like it is because the constant shrillness of right wing newspapers.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

AngryAsWell wrote:David LammyVerified account
‏@DavidLammy

The very first words of the Government's Red, Blue and White Paper. Well that's all sorted then. God help us. #BrexitWhitePaper

It gets even better:

JFC. Bodes well.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

I just had an interesting, if disturbing 'conversation' with a usually reliable brexit/ukip/death penalty fan & his young apprentice.
views received were:

Corbyn is a **** & should be sacked, reason being that he's trying to defy democracy, because he told his MPs to block brexit yesterday.

Trump will probably be (& should) be shot.
Corbyn should also be shot (same reason as above)

More interesting, was the view that Farage is a ****.
I'm not entirely sure what's caused this realisation, but it's definitely a change.
Also there seemed to be some concept that the Government isn't handling brexit well & that the vote was to leave the eu, but a lot of other stuff has been tacked on.

I would suggest that their views have tempered slightly, but the the younger of the two began to get agitated complaining that Farage's wife is an immigrant & that Trump's wife is an illegal immigrant (or if not, looks like one), so maybe not. :?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

SpinningHugo wrote:
gilsey wrote:

if you live in a City, you shouldn't have to own a car. There should be an app on your phone where a car can with you in moments and take you where you want to go.

Looking at my street there are hundreds of pieces of expensive metal currently sat there doing nothing. The efficiency. time and cost saving should be enormous.

Train travel should become quickly obsolete. It is the next big revolution.

Krugman is good on this.
'live in a city? Don't own a car' to 'get a car at your service with a phone app' doesn't do the city, people or our environment any good. I disagree with your idea entirely. Unprofessional, inappropriately licensed drivers are still on the road, polluting and endangering lives with greater gusto. At least the cars parked on your pavement aren't moving. But you're right, mass car ownership is currently the dismaying result of forty odd years of public policy in UK cities. I can't blame individual people in their rides. They can't afford or depend upon public transportation as it's currently provided.

You know how golf carts sound? Quiet. Think of that scale of mobility and sound in neighbourhoods - but on a kind of light rail, on tracks - separate from the rest of life, making little noise yet providing comprehensive and safe transportation. Small children, animals and other life forms can have the rest of the public thoroughfares without getting mowed down. Get trains operating all over the UK, open up new lines, planned with care.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Don't tell me a national public transportation network can't be done, that it's 'too expensive, too difficult'. That's a lie. The money and funds are seemingly inexhaustible for expensive weapons, military personnel and jack-ass rooster endeavours pursued without care to the environment and life. The funding? You find it, rooster, now.
Last edited by citizenJA on Thu 02 Feb, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

citizenJA wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
gilsey wrote: Anyone here know what the point of self-driving cars is? Can't see it myself.
if you live in a City, you shouldn't have to own a car. There should be an app on your phone where a car can with you in moments and take you where you want to go.

Looking at my street there are hundreds of pieces of expensive metal currently sat there doing nothing. The efficiency. time and cost saving should be enormous.

Krugman is good on this.
'live in a city? Don't own a car' to 'get a car at your service with a phone app' doesn't do the city, people or our environment any good. I disagree with your idea entirely. Unprofessional, inappropriately licensed drivers are still on the road, polluting and endangering lives with greater gusto. At least the cars parked on your pavement aren't moving. But you're right, mass car ownership is currently the dismaying result of forty odd years of public policy in UK cities. I can't blame individual people in their rides. They can't afford or depend upon public transportation as it's currently provided.

You know how golf carts sound? Quiet. Think of that scale of mobility and sound in neighbourhoods - but on a kind of light rail, on tracks - separate from the rest of life, making little noise yet providing comprehensive and safe transportation. Small children, animals and other life forms can have the rest of the public thoroughfares without getting mowed down. Get trains operating all over the UK, open up new lines, planned with care.
I doubt public transport will survive once driverless cars come in. Trains, save perhaps for feight, look pointless. One reason why spending big on HS2 looks a bit short term. We'll have to subsidise those living in remote areas. It will be a world of much less pollution, higher speeds, and far better use of resources (all those cars sat there doing nothing most of the time will go).

Some things get better. This is one of them.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I doubt driverless cars will take over. It's pointless. Good-afternoon.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

citizenJA wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
gilsey wrote: Anyone here know what the point of self-driving cars is? Can't see it myself.

Krugman is good on this.

Self driving electric cars will end car ownership for the masses I think - so does tesla uber and a number of other companies along with google even in the countryside. Of course they are also going to herald he next wave of robotisation and put literally millions of people out of work in the next decade or so. Tie for a universal basic income.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

Good article on it from the WSJ, https://www.wsj.com/articles/could-self ... 1448986572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they're political commentary may have been rubbish about trump, but on things like this they are very good.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Some things never change...

Oh. Apologies. That's just me "virtue signalling" like the libtard cuck I am.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:
Self driving electric cars will end car ownership for the masses I think - so does tesla uber and a number of other companies along with google even in the countryside. Of course they are also going to herald he next wave of robotisation and put literally millions of people out of work in the next decade or so.
along with the spinning jenny, electric light, and the internet.

This prophecy of doom has been made for centuries. it looks a bit doubtful to me.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
Self driving electric cars will end car ownership for the masses I think - so does tesla uber and a number of other companies along with google even in the countryside. Of course they are also going to herald he next wave of robotisation and put literally millions of people out of work in the next decade or so.

This prophecy of doom has been made for centuries. it looks a bit doubtful to me.
Allof which put masses of people out of work, however, the amount of technilogical innvation now coming online because of AI means that more jobs are going to be destroyed than the technology ultimately creates. Thats a historical precdent that has never been set before as the spinning jennny automatically increased productivity and employment - the next generation of mechanisation has been deliberately designed to minimise any form of human employment. There are very few jobs out there that will not be under threat - even me as a writer.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:http://newsthump.com/2017/02/02/parliam ... rect-foot/
Parliament decides it’s vital we shoot ourselves in the correct foot

A bunch of idiots elected by a country of idiots have voted that it’s critical we decide exactly which foot we want to shoot ourselves in, rather than just picking one at random and going with it.
Maybe an environmental tipping-point causing massive disaster occurs though part of the UK land mass is fortuitously kept separate from the European continent thereby keeping maybe a quarter of the current UK population at subsistence-level, dark age living. The bright side, heh.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote:

Allof which put masses of people out of work, however, the amount of technilogical innvation now coming online because of AI means that more jobs are going to be destroyed than the technology ultimately creates. Thats a historical precdent that has never been set before as the spinning jennny automatically increased productivity and employment - the next generation of mechanisation has been deliberately designed to minimise any form of human employment. There are very few jobs out there that will not be under threat - even me as a writer.

i doubt it. Technological progress is much slower than it was in, say, the 40s and 50s. Most of the gadgets ad technology I have in my home were available to my parents (not the mobile phone and internet, but the rest were).

Pace has slowed, not quickened. Yes there will be disruption, as there was when we shut most call centers, but I see no reason to believe that the rules of demand/supply are about to breakdown.
Last edited by SpinningHugo on Thu 02 Feb, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

55DegreesNorth wrote:
gilsey wrote:

Morning folks,
Autonomous cars would be programmed not to crash into each other or into other stuff, something that is beyond many human car operators. They would also be able to communicate with each other to help anticipate speed & direction changes, so they could drive faster at a much higher density and more constant speed. The humans would be left free to text and eat without squashing cyclists, driving on the wrong side of the road or tailgating each other.
Or something like that.
Those are called 'buses' and trains
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: along with the spinning jenny, electric light, and the internet.

i doubt it. Technological progress is much slower than it was in, say, the 40s and 50s. Most of the gadgets ad technology I have in my home were available to my parents (not the mobile phone and internet, but the rest was).

Pace has slowed, not quickened. Yes there will be disruption, as there was when we shut most call centers, but I see no reason to believe that the rules of demand/supply are about to breakdown.
Good god, you cant be serious, no this is just another troll and Im not falling for it, nobody in their right mind could claim that. there was no computing of anysort in the home in your parents time, no microchip, now everyone of those gadgets has one and is capable off autonomous decision making. The rate of change in the last decade has been noted by economists industrialists, teckies I mean its there for everyone to see, Artificial intelligence?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Temulkar wrote:It wasnt written in your style, Convolvulus, so fret not I know it wasn't you personally. Most people write and punctuate with an individual style online, and the reviewers is particularly easy to spot, so...

I'm more gutted that they took it down, as I said last night I benefited from it, so... should have kept my moth shut and pretended to seethe. Ah well easy come easy go.
(cJA edit & emphasis)

Very true. Even great writers can't do it too well. A fingerprint analogy isn't exactly appropriate, but it came to my mind. It's not impossible for one person to write in genuinely different styles but it's rare.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

AngryAsWell wrote:David LammyVerified account
‏@DavidLammy

And this is the very next bit apparently:
One of the world’s largest and strongest economies. With the
finest intelligence services, the bravest armed forces, the most
effective hard and soft power, and friendships, partnerships and
alliances in every continent.
And another thing that’s important. The essential ingredient of
our success. The strength and support of 65 million people
willing us to make it happen.
Because after all the division and discord, the country is coming together
Absolutely unbelievable horseshit.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Brexit is not the high point of democracy – it's the greatest fraud ever perpetrated in British politics
An irate local farmer told me he voted to leave as a protest against EU bureaucracy that delayed payments of his subsidies. He thought Defra was an EU department. He didn’t realise it was The Department for Rural Affairs and that the EU had fined our governmental department for its incompetent administration of subsidies

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/bre ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:smack:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:
Willow904 wrote:http://newsthump.com/2017/02/02/parliam ... rect-foot/
Parliament decides it’s vital we shoot ourselves in the correct foot

A bunch of idiots elected by a country of idiots have voted that it’s critical we decide exactly which foot we want to shoot ourselves in, rather than just picking one at random and going with it.
Maybe an environmental tipping-point causing massive disaster occurs though part of the UK land mass is fortuitously kept separate from the European continent thereby keeping maybe a quarter of the current UK population at subsistence-level, dark age living. The bright side, heh.
Sounds more "dark ages" than "bright side" to me.

I am quite curious to see how the country reacts to any disruption to electricity supplies that we are likely to have, given the absence of any proper forward planning in our energy sector for some years now.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
What the white paper says about no deal being better than a bad deal

And this is what the white paper says in paragraph 12.3, about no deal being better than a bad deal. (My bold type.)

We are confident that the UK and the EU can reach a positive deal on our future partnership, as this would be to the mutual benefit of both the UK and the EU, and we will approach the negotiations in this spirit. However, the Government is clear that no deal for the UK is better than a bad deal for the UK. In any eventuality we will ensure that our economic and other functions can continue, including by passing legislation as necessary to mitigate the effects of failing to reach a deal.

In her Lancaster House speech Theresa May also said that no deal would be better than a bad deal. She said that, if the EU refused to be cooperated, the UK may retaliate by changing “the basis of Britain’s economic model” but she did not elaborate on what this might mean. The white paper suggests the government may prepare precautionary legislation. It does not say what this legislation might involve, but the Financial Times recently published a good article (subcription) looking in detail at what May’s plan B might involve. (Politics Live, Guardian)
Does anyone here know\have access to the FT article mentioned above, please?
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... EU_Web.pdf
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Academy accounts: Executive pay continues to rise

https://schoolsimprovement.net/academy- ... nues-rise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Temulkar wrote: Allof which put masses of people out of work, however, the amount of technilogical innvation now coming online because of AI means that more jobs are going to be destroyed than the technology ultimately creates. Thats a historical precdent that has never been set before as the spinning jennny automatically increased productivity and employment - the next generation of mechanisation has been deliberately designed to minimise any form of human employment. There are very few jobs out there that will not be under threat - even me as a writer.

i doubt it. Technological progress is much slower than it was in, say, the 40s and 50s. Most of the gadgets ad technology I have in my home were available to my parents (not the mobile phone and internet, but the rest was).

Good god, you cant be serious, no this is just another troll and Im not falling for it, nobody in their right mind could claim that. there was no computing of anysort in the home in your parents time, no microchip, now everyone of those gadgets has one and is capable off autonomous decision making. The rate of change in the last decade has been noted by economists industrialists, teckies I mean its there for everyone to see, Artificial intelligence?

I am not sure what makes you think I claimed that there was no sort of computing of any sort in the home of my parents?

But if you compare my home, the equivalent of my parents, and then look at their parents, the big changes came between my parents and grandparents. Washing machine, telephone, dishwasher, television etc

It is true that the rate of change in technology has been noted by economists etc. Noted in the sense that there is a growing consensus that the pace has slowed (it is I accept a hard thing to prove or even assess). Google it if you don't believe me. One reason is that is possible that the low hanging fruit have now all been harvested, and change is now harder. There are of course still optimists out there, but they're the minority.

Think of where people in the 50s thought we'd be by now. Living on Mars, flying cars etc. That was because they were extrapolating from the kind of change they'd seen in their lives.

Aircraft are a nice example. Commercial aircraft haven't improved since the 70s very much. indeed, back then you could fly at supersonic speeds. You can't now.

This change of pace is one of the big influences on we Greens. technology isn't going to come to our rescue, so we need to be more careful with our material world.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Bloody hell. Diane's having a day off, so take it away Emily: