Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th February 2017

Post by Willow904 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: I don't agree with this at all. The majority of people (as it turned out) had significant misgivings about the EU, and while it's fine to play up the benefits during the debate it would be foolish in the extreme to deny or ignore the shortcomings. The view has to be that it's not perfect, and while it's better than the alternative, we should also lobby to improve it. Given that Corbyn is in absolutely no position to block Brexit, why do you think he would make trouble for himself by arguing for something that's not possible? Jack Straw used to be a member of the communist party, but I don't look at all his actions through the prism of hidden Leninism. I do not think it's right to characterise anyone as a Lexiter who points out that the EU has had a privatisation agenda of the kind that we attack the Tories for, and often prevents us from protecting our public services against commercial interests. Especially as Lexiter seems to have become the insult de jour.

It's impossible to argue for a Norway option. Utterly impossible. It would involve arguing that we have to pay pretty much what we used to, and accept total free movement. It would be completely untenable. There would probably be riots. And that's even if we're offered it, which we won't be.
If you don't like the term Lexit, I won't use it, though I've never knowingly applied it as an insult, just stated it wasn't an option I favour. I want to stay in the single market. I happen to view that as perfectly achievable by those who want to achieve it, why would it not be? Given the only alternative now we are leaving the EU is a "hard Brexit" which would leave us isolated and struggling to achieve decent terms of trade, the only way I see of avoiding economic turmoil and job losses is by remaining in the EEA. Which means talking up the benefits of the single market, not the negatives, else how else can a consensus for this least worst option be won?

I feel sometimes that I'm at serious cross purposes with many posters. Am I correct in thinking that some are thinking along the lines that we will somehow be able to stay in the EU after all? I just don't see that. Once we trigger article 50 we will be leaving, surely. Isn't that the whole point of having to respect the referendum? The only question unsettled is our future relationship. Will it be as part of the single market like Norway or outside it, like the rest of the world? I mean I'm not saying in some unforseen scenario that we might not leave the EU after all, but I can't rely on such slim hopes. Everything I comment is based on the assumption that once article 50 is triggered there will be no opportunity to halt the process and even if this proves false, there is no reason to assume a Tory majority government set on a hard Brexit will choose to halt it even if they could.

So remaining in the single market is all I have to hang on to.

If Corbyn does indeed think like you and believe a Norway option unachievable and not worth fighting for, then my sense that he doesn't really represent my preferred position is pretty spot on, isn't it?
It's my belief that Brexit is largely a political, rather than a legal, process. Imagine there was a general election within the next year or so and a clearly Remain PM was elected with a solid mandate for Remain.

Do you really think the EU would say no sod off you triggered Article 50 and it's too late?

Going through the legal process in the courts and Parliament is important because it ensures due diligence and allows scrutiny. But ultimately, the outcome of this will depend on politics IMHO. The Remain camp needs both to make a strong case for the EU, but also to leave space and time for those who voted Leave to find their way back.
The EU will always keep the door open - on their terms. Once we have rejected the EU on our terms (opt outs, debates etc) it can't be assumed we can go back in as we were. If we cared about this option, we would establish it before triggering article 50, not go in blind.

Perhaps I'm too cynical. But the UK hasn't many friends in the EU, especially since Cameron's particular brand of non-diplomacy. The terms of article 50 makes it sound way too much like any one of the 27 could hold a grudge and keep us out once we start the ball rolling for my liking.

And there's also the matter of will. We will only stay in if at some point we will it and I see no sign that this Tory majority government has that will. It will be 2020 and too late before there is another government.

If there was any way an amendment was passed that could legally bind the government to remaining in if their negotiations were rejected by parliament, there would be grounds for hope; if we can only be taken out of the EEA by a parliament vote, there are grounds for hope. But these are really big "ifs".
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Mr citizen and I are going to watch a film together
goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA

P.S. I don't gotta like Ken Clarke. He's a human being, so I love. He ought to work harder for the benefit of many, in my opinion.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Get beyond the token Labour references and this (imho) is a good piece by Cohen on Trump.

Trump’s lies are not the problem. It’s the millions who swallow them who really matter

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... itarianism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

citizenJA wrote:
PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:I want to stay in the single market. I happen to view that as perfectly achievable by those who want to achieve it, why would it not be? Given the only alternative now we are leaving the EU is a "hard Brexit" which would leave us isolated and struggling to achieve decent terms of trade, the only way I see of avoiding economic turmoil and job losses is by remaining in the EEA. Which means talking up the benefits of the single market, not the negatives, else how else can a consensus for this least worst option be won?

I feel sometimes that I'm at serious cross purposes with many posters. Am I correct in thinking that some are thinking along the lines that we will somehow be able to stay in the EU after all? I just don't see that. Once we trigger article 50 we will be leaving, surely. Isn't that the whole point of having to respect the referendum? The only question unsettled is our future relationship. Will it be as part of the single market like Norway or outside it, like the rest of the world? I mean I'm not saying in some unforseen scenario that we might not leave the EU after all, but I can't rely on such slim hopes. Everything I comment is based on the assumption that once article 50 is triggered there will be no opportunity to halt the process and even if this proves false, there is no reason to assume a Tory majority government set on a hard Brexit will choose to halt it even if they could.

If Corbyn does indeed think like you and believe a Norway option unachievable and not worth fighting for, then my sense that he doesn't really represent my preferred position is pretty spot on, isn't it?
It's my belief that Brexit is largely a political, rather than a legal, process. Imagine there was a general election within the next year or so and a clearly Remain PM was elected with a solid mandate for Remain.

Do you really think the EU would say no sod off you triggered Article 50 and it's too late?

Going through the legal process in the courts and Parliament is important because it ensures due diligence and allows scrutiny. But ultimately, the outcome of this will depend on politics IMHO. The Remain camp needs both to make a strong case for the EU, but also to leave space and time for those who voted Leave to find their way back.
(cJA edit)

Is the UK valuable to each and every one of the twenty-seven individual member countries they'll accept unanimously a UK government taking back the Article 50 notification?
They might want to see the prodigal child getting a gentle admonishment, but why would they say no?
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: I don't agree with this at all. The majority of people (as it turned out) had significant misgivings about the EU, and while it's fine to play up the benefits during the debate it would be foolish in the extreme to deny or ignore the shortcomings. The view has to be that it's not perfect, and while it's better than the alternative, we should also lobby to improve it. Given that Corbyn is in absolutely no position to block Brexit, why do you think he would make trouble for himself by arguing for something that's not possible? Jack Straw used to be a member of the communist party, but I don't look at all his actions through the prism of hidden Leninism. I do not think it's right to characterise anyone as a Lexiter who points out that the EU has had a privatisation agenda of the kind that we attack the Tories for, and often prevents us from protecting our public services against commercial interests. Especially as Lexiter seems to have become the insult de jour.

It's impossible to argue for a Norway option. Utterly impossible. It would involve arguing that we have to pay pretty much what we used to, and accept total free movement. It would be completely untenable. There would probably be riots. And that's even if we're offered it, which we won't be.
If you don't like the term Lexit, I won't use it, though I've never knowingly applied it as an insult, just stated it wasn't an option I favour. I want to stay in the single market. I happen to view that as perfectly achievable by those who want to achieve it, why would it not be? Given the only alternative now we are leaving the EU is a "hard Brexit" which would leave us isolated and struggling to achieve decent terms of trade, the only way I see of avoiding economic turmoil and job losses is by remaining in the EEA. Which means talking up the benefits of the single market, not the negatives, else how else can a consensus for this least worst option be won?

This...
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:Mr citizen and I are going to watch a film together
goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA

P.S. I don't gotta like Ken Clarke. He's a human being, so I love. He ought to work harder for the benefit of many, in my opinion.
I didn't mean to imply you should "like" him, I'm sorry if it came across like that.
Goodnight, enjoy the film & sleep well
Love
xx :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

The Observer view on parliament’s sovereignty over Brexit
MPs must stand up for democracy and ensure a second referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/ ... t-policies" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marine Le Pen promises liberation from the EU with France-first policies
Presidential candidate launches campaign with pledge to dump the euro and claim that Islamic practices are a threat to France
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PM 'unlikely to change terms' of parliament vote on final Brexit deal

Theresa May believes allowing a vote on deal before it is presented to MEPs could ‘hamstring’ government, source says (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-deal

And so to bed. Night night.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Jeremy Hunt urged to ban GP fees for 'immoral' domestic violence letters

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -legal-aid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:The Observer view on parliament’s sovereignty over Brexit
MPs must stand up for democracy and ensure a second referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... referendum" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I have two problems with Brexit:
1) nobody (as far as I am aware) has given any concrete benefit, either for UK residents or the UK as a whole, which has not been debunked;
2) the timetable for signing A50 is too premature - we need to know, definitely, if it is the final nail in our EU membership.

If we can revoke A50, then a vote (Parliament or referendum) should, imo, be held on whether we accept the deal on the table, walk away from the EU, or stay in.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

I cannot describe how sickening it is to see a labour politican - a labour politician mind you - wrapping herself in the grotesque flag of nationalism in this way. In light of Trump it is appalling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/l ... dcbd029a2a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

World’s Favourite Unloved Species
We asked conservation organisations from around the world to nominate a species that they believe to be unloved and underappreciated, and often overshadowed by the more cute, handsome and (seemingly) interesting members of the natural world.

Each conservation organisation has written a blog to let you know why their nominee deserves your vote, and about the amazing work that they are doing to save their species from extinction.

In the lead up to Valentine’s Day show that you #LoveSpecies and vote for your favourite by clicking ‘vote now’ underneath their photo.

Voting is open until 23:59 PST (07:59 GMT) on Friday 10th February 2017, and the results will be announced on Valentine’s Day. Only one of your votes will count so make sure you read the blogs and are 100% certain of your choice before clicking the ‘vote now’ button! Although all of our nominees deserve love, only one can be crowned the world’s favourite unloved species.

http://www.arkive.org/vote-valentines20 ... peciesForm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: They might want to see the prodigal child getting a gentle admonishment, but why would they say no?
Too close to Trump?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Temulkar wrote:I cannot describe how sickening it is to see a labour politican - a labour politician mind you - wrapping herself in the grotesque flag of nationalism in this way. In light of Trump it is appalling.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/l ... dcbd029a2a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yes feels like Burnham and her are losing the plot somewhat.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... mily-homes

Older people to get help to downsize to free up family homes
Housing white paper to incentivise building of sheltered accommodation to encourage older people to sell large houses
...but ...but ...last week children were to look after their parents. Won't that mean they need to be in a family home?

The downsizing issue is an old chestnut. Why would an older person want to move from a family home, from friends and neighbours, unless they had to. (Those who actually need sheltered accommodation should, of course, have access to it).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hopefully,I will live to a ripe old age.The only way I intend to leave my home is in a bodybag/ coffin.It is already adapted,of course,should the need-both for self and visitors-arise.To be fair they found some millions behind the sofa to lessen the CT for annexes,regardless of use(whilst penalising existing rooms in targeted fashion for specific care use)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
Temulkar wrote:I cannot describe how sickening it is to see a labour politican - a labour politician mind you - wrapping herself in the grotesque flag of nationalism in this way. In light of Trump it is appalling.

Yes feels like Burnham and her are losing the plot somewhat.
Floundering around.

So we have the Corbyn's ultras seeking purity where none exists.

And the soft left of Burnham et al saying immigrants are a threat to "the safety of our streets".

Vote Green. At least it makes sense and they believe it, even if not every t is crossed.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:

Housing white paper to incentivise building of sheltered accommodation to encourage older people to sell large houses
...but ...but ...last week children were to look after their parents. Won't that mean they need to be in a family home?

The downsizing issue is an old chestnut. Why would an older person want to move from a family home, from friends and neighbours, unless they had to. (Those who actually need sheltered accommodation should, of course, have access to it).
There used to be incentives to encourage single/widowed pensioners in family-sized homes to downsize. This is a neighbouring council to me - I assume they still run this scheme

http://www.lewes.gov.uk/housing/incentive-scheme.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new- ... er-attacks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New powers to crack down on laser attacks
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

pk1 wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:

There used to be incentives to encourage single/widowed pensioners in family-sized homes to downsize. This is a neighbouring council to me - I assume they still run this scheme

http://www.lewes.gov.uk/housing/incentive-scheme.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fair enough to make the offer - but I wonder how many took it up.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote: ...but ...but ...last week children were to look after their parents. Won't that mean they need to be in a family home?

Fair enough to make the offer - but I wonder how many took it up.
Can't help you with that one :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Harry Leslie Smith ‏@Harryslaststand 4m4 minutes ago
Labour can talk about a rigged economy but not admitting #brexit was a vote rigged on lies means we are leading people down the garden path.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Unless I misread they mean homeowners?Arse about face to me,well I would,put care into home,rather than move people.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I think I got this from twitter, apologies if it was someone else here.
The Problem of The Demos and Why I Want Us To Fuck This Brexit Thing Right Off
http://www.indelicates.com/brexit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think that you think Brexit is like that. That there was a fight, and we lost it, and eventually we'll get over that and we'll hug. We are, after all, your grandchildren, customers, mates, family. You put that vote into the same category as an election - a debate conducted among the eternal British - and one day we shall smile again.

But I want to tell you this one thing: There are no hugs coming. it will never, ever, be OK. Something has broken between us.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

SpinningHugo wrote: Vote Green. At least it makes sense and they believe it, even if not every t is crossed.
They don't make any sense up here. No Ts crossed whatsoever on this issue.
MSP Ross Greer of the Scottish Green Party has said he expects details of a second independence referendum to be revealed within the next few weeks. West of Scotland MSP Greer has predicted that a revived Yes Scotland campaign will become a reality very soon, with a formal announcement of a second independence referendum to be made following the local elections in May. Speaking to the Sunday Herald, Greer said: “people out there are champing at the bit to get started.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/green-part ... -1-4358534
Doesn't appear to understand the difference between devolved and reserved powers, let alone economics.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Mr citizen and I are going to watch a film together
goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA

I didn't mean to imply you should "like" him, I'm sorry if it came across like that.
Goodnight, enjoy the film & sleep well
Love
xx :)
It was lovely
a John Hurt film
Mr citizen hadn't see it
no apologies necessary
you are very good
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/ ... mpire-ball" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Davis Cup: GB through after Canadian defaulted for hitting umpire with ball
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I ask your pardon for my language earlier
I can't think well of Ken Clarke
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

You didn't promise us a rose garden.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:I ask your pardon for my language earlier
I can't think well of Ken Clarke
No need to, but honestly, as far as Tory's (not very, agree) go Ken is one of the better ones.
Have PM'ed you :)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
PM 'unlikely to change terms' of parliament vote on final Brexit deal

Theresa May believes allowing a vote on deal before it is presented to MEPs could ‘hamstring’ government, source says (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... rexit-deal

And so to bed. Night night.
Goodnight, PorFavor
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

As the Trump administration prepared to challenge a ruling against its executive order on refugees and travel from seven Muslim-majority countries, experts said the US had been brought to the brink of a full-blown constitutional crisis.

“This is an epic confrontation between the presidency and the constitution,” says Marci Hamilton, a constitutional lawyer and scholar of religion at the University of Pennsylvania.

“The moment Donald Trump suggests anyone disobey the federal court order then we will be in a constitutional crisis.”
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... nal-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:You didn't promise us a rose garden.
xx
cJA
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Eric_WLothian wrote:

Tories never had liked regular people having things that used to be reserved for only a privileged few.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Dozens of Tory MPs ‘threatening to wreck Brexit Bill’
Next week could see pro-European Tories unite with opposition MPs over amendments to the bill
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 63541.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

NHS hospitals to charge overseas patients for non-urgent care
Jeremy Hunt announces law to be enacted from April that raises prospect of patients having to produce passports or other ID

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... eremy-hunt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... s-reviewed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Families stripped of tax credits by Concentrix to have cases reviewed
Government decision comes after barrage of complaints that HMRC contractor was wrongly removing benefits from claimants
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... -downgrade" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One in six A&E departments at risk of closure or downgrade