Thursday 9th February 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 9th February 2017

Post by HindleA »

http://www.disabilitynewsservice.com/gr ... s-inquiry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Green Party calls on government to launch benefit deaths inquiry
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Thanks Refitman, Adam (and Paul).
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It's a pity people leave.
It's a pity people drive people away.
I hope I'm not one of them (I know I'm obsessed with Brexit) and wholeheartedly apologise if that is the case.

Division is something I seek to avoid.
Unsuccessfully.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/au ... cs-podcast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The housing crisis, the Brexit bill and the French election – Politics Weekly podcast
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... h#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Family doctors in Bournemouth have set up the first private GP service at which people who pay up to £145 a time will be seen faster and get longer appointments than their NHS patients.

The creation of the clinic has prompted fears that other GPs will follow suit and that NHS patients will become “second-class citizens” as general practice increasingly becomes a two-tier health service.
Seems similar to the way dental care and opticians have gone.

People will end up having to go private whether they want to or not because there won't be enough NHS GPs to meet demand.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

MP tables motion of no confidence in John Bercow over Trump comments

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... p-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh jesus christ
Lost Soul
Committee Chair

Post by Lost Soul »

citizenJA wrote:
MP tables motion of no confidence in John Bercow over Trump comments

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... p-comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oh jesus christ
He's not available right now. But, if you have £145. you can boost yourself further up the queue.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-horses

Concerns raised over Brexit impact on free movement of horses
How much did Totilas sell for?
In October 2010, it was announced that sport horse breeder Paul Schockemöhle had purchased Moorlands Totilas. The sale price was not disclosed, but rumors have circulated that the price was in the range of €9.5 million to as high as €15 million.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totilas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the dressage, show jumping & evening world there are lots of Totilas.
The sports horse industry (for that's what it is) contributes millions to the economy.
(and that's separate to the racing industry contribution)
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:
HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -of-horses

Concerns raised over Brexit impact on free movement of horses
The sports horse industry (for that's what it is) contributes millions to the economy.
(and that's separate to the racing industry contribution)
...and the profit on supermarket lasagne.

A tasteless comment, I know.

I'll get my coat. :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Toby tickled me,not saying where.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Toby is a very naughty boy.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Hope he is keeping warm,it's bloody freezing here.(He's not far away but in the wrong County)
I'm a mother hen at heart,certainly I do a lot of clucking about.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Just had a lasagne by coincidence.It was neigh bad.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:Just had a lasagne by coincidence.It was neigh bad.
A Galloping Gourmet recipe?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Mock all you like, the equestrian industry brings in vast sums of money to our economy, and unless they sort it properly studs/breeders will simply move abroad.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Labour Lords face down abolition threats and table eight amendments to Article 50 bill
EIGHT AMENDMENTS

The eight amendments from Labour’s frontbench in the Lords are:

Guaranteeing the UK Parliament will vote on the final deal before the European Parliament (something the Government conceded in the Commons, but did not put into legislation),

Quarterly reports from the Government on the progress of negotiations,

Guaranteeing the rights of EU nationals living in the UK,

Prioritising trade arrangements and cooperation with the EU,

Assurances about the role of devolved governments,

The publication of impact assessments on the implications of future trade arrangements,

Separating out the process of leaving Euratom to leaving the EU,

And requiring the Government to have regard to the Good Friday Agreement.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/europ ... -and-table" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Not mocking.Making jokes or attempts at humour,doesn't mean you are making light of or happy about something.I think laughter in the face of/despite ;people are different.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:Labour Lords face down abolition threats and table eight amendments to Article 50 bill
EIGHT AMENDMENTS

Guaranteeing the UK Parliament will vote on the final deal before the European Parliament (something the Government conceded in the Commons, but did not put into legislation),

The publication of impact assessments on the implications of future trade arrangements,

https://www.politicshome.com/news/europ ... -and-table" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see how RoI can be in the EU and NI out, without a closed border (or free movement of people). The same applies to Sturgeon's demands for a separate immigration policy for Scotland.
In both cases, a migrant could just go to whichever country has the easiest entry requirements and then get a train to wherever they really want to be.

(Network Rail may have already seen a possible business opportunity - they're planning longer platforms at Edinburgh Waverly to take longer ECML trains).
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

C4 promoting the next Garage

Alt-Right’s Jack Buckby Slammed By Barbara Ntumy After Channel 4 News Comments

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... 8562184916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

I saw the interview last night and was appalled that they gave him the oxygen of publicity
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

HindleA wrote:Not mocking.Making jokes or attempts at humour,doesn't mean you are making light of or happy about something.I think laughter in the face of/despite ;people are different.
Yes, sorry, we really need a tongue-in-cheek emoticon, realise the laughter in my head and pretend petulance did not really work there :)
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Labour Lords face down abolition threats and table eight amendments to Article 50 bill
EIGHT AMENDMENTS

Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see how RoI can be in the EU and NI out, without a closed border (or free movement of people). The same applies to Sturgeon's demands for a separate immigration policy for Scotland.
In both cases, a migrant could just go to whichever country has the easiest entry requirements and then get a train to wherever they really want to be.

(Network Rail may have already seen a possible business opportunity - they're planning longer platforms at Edinburgh Waverly to take longer ECML trains).
The border will have to be rUK and NI.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
EIGHT AMENDMENTS

But, but... May says no hard border ... I don't think she's thought it through.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Evening all. Thursday is swimming with Y5 and then seminar up in town. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it...

Nicky Morgan: U-turn White Paper was my proudest achievement

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/br ... chievement
Nicky Morgan has said her proudest achievement as education secretary was the schools White Paper – which she was forced to U-turn on and which prompted legislation which was later scrapped.
Yes, that was the WP which flew in the face if the rhetoric about giving schools autonomy and was going to force them to move to academy status. So bad the whole WP was scrapped after her own backbenchers complained.

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

A row over money could derail Brexit talks before they have begun
The risk of talks blowing up is greater than many realise

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/2 ... t?fsrc=rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Nick Clegg ‏@nick_clegg 10h10 hours ago
Total myth that a vote against govt on art 50 would have blocked Brexit. Instead would have forced govt to come back with better Brexit plan
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... y/CBP-7887" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

House of Commons Library

Bereavement Support Payment

Not the lightest of topics.A mixed bag,some improvement-increased lump and extension by six months- exemption from benefit cap,not so good for those with children.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote: Maybe I'm missing something, but I just don't see how RoI can be in the EU and NI out, without a closed border (or free movement of people). The same applies to Sturgeon's demands for a separate immigration policy for Scotland.

But, but... May says no hard border ... I don't think she's thought it through.
Can anybody identify anything she (or her accomplices) have thought through? :roll:
Can't see the idea of a closed internal "border" within the UK going down too well either in NI (effectively cutting them off) or the EU (no control).
Needing a passport or ID to go from one part of the UK to another wouldn't be popular (even if it's workable).

edited to sort out the quotes (I think).
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

No.
Me neither
True

As far as I can tell()
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

An EU Minister Told Theresa May To Stop Lying About Freedom Of Movement
“This alternative fact – or let’s call it what it is, a lie – once again resurfaced in Theresa May’s speech. Let’s move beyond such tactics and build our new relationship on facts and respect, not populism and lies.”
“We are a bit confused – the main idea of a fairer, more open, and more global Britain seems nice on paper, but how do you want to be open when one of the key elements of the plan is to stop the inflow of bright and hardworking people from all over the world that invested so much of their energy into making Britain great?”
Referring to the prime minister’s recent speech where she set out her 12-point Brexit plan, the Czech minister added: “Once more, Theresa May mentioned the abuse of … freedom of movement as the reason for this plan.
“A quick fact check – studies have repeatedly shown this is not the case. Yet here we are. Still wasting our time explaining these alternative facts but these claims [are] still a part of the ‘reasoning’.”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonardell ... .kcDqqNab6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:No.
Me neither
True

As far as I can tell()
Some 'thinking outside the box' needed.

What about the EU becoming, on paper, part of the UK. No - I haven't thought it through as that's not compulsory.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/di ... irror_main" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disabled pregnant woman finds cruel note calling her "fat lazy c***" after parking in parent and child space
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
HindleA wrote:No.
Me neither
True

As far as I can tell()
Some 'thinking outside the box' needed.

What about the EU becoming, on paper, part of the UK. No - I haven't thought it through as that's not compulsory.
Wasn't there some talk, at some point, of areas (like ports and big bits of factories) becoming "economic areas" so they could be "deemed" to be in the EU?
Or am I dreaming....
("Economic areas" is not the right term but can't think of right one, like duty free shops in airports)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

You're not dreaming. It was suggested with the Nissan factory in Sunderland.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
EIGHT AMENDMENTS

Won't VAT have to be aligned?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ring any bells with our farmers?
California Farmers Backed Trump, but Now Fear Losing Field Workers

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/09/us/c ... share&_r=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Any more new on the French explosion? Look big on here

Vocal Europe
‏@thevocaleurope

BREAKING | Major Explosion at #Flamanville nuclear power plant in #France. The reason of the explosion is not known yet

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Won't VAT have to be aligned?
Don't see why - the RoI rate is different to UK rate anyway. Trying to align NI & RoI rates would be a nightmare for HMRC though.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote:Any more new on the French explosion? Look big on here

Vocal Europe
‏@thevocaleurope

BREAKING | Major Explosion at #Flamanville nuclear power plant in #France. The reason of the explosion is not known yet

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 70876.html
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AngryAsWell wrote:C4 promoting the next Garage

Alt-Right’s Jack Buckby Slammed By Barbara Ntumy After Channel 4 News Comments

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/b ... 8562184916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

I saw the interview last night and was appalled that they gave him the oxygen of publicity
They had David Irving on tonight to express his disgust at google autosuggesting 'the holocaust is ... a hoax'. I hear Tom Lehrer just etc etc...
I still believe in a town called Hope
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Eric_WLothian wrote:

Vocal Europe
‏@thevocaleurope

Thank you, so not as bad as it looked - thankfully
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:

Vocal Europe
‏@thevocaleurope

The telegraph reported it as 'explosion at nuclear plant near channel islands'.
I still believe in a town called Hope
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

adam wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Sounds like we're gearing up to live as though Europe doesn't actually exist at all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... viser-says" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hospitals are in 'state of war', government adviser says
Adviser to Jeremy Hunt warns of ‘very, very difficult’ time as NHS posts worst ever performance on waiting times
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/bl ... e-17-votes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parliament’s 17-vote censure for FA is more a whimper than a roar
David Conn
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
adam wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: Thank you, so not as bad as it looked - thankfully
Sounds like we're gearing up to live as though Europe doesn't actually exist at all.
Tbf, it's not far from the CI !
How long till the "Fog in Channel - Continent Cut Off" headline becomes a reality?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting on a few levels...
Britain Elects
‏@britainelects

Fairford North (Cotswold) result:
LDEM: 68.1% (+40.2)
CON: 30.1% (-20.9)
GRN: 1.8% (+1.8)
UKIP didn't stand this time round.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... hold-order" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trump travel ban: judges uphold order to prevent enforcement
Judges upheld order issued last week to prevent 90-day travel ban from seven Muslim-majority countries and 120-day freeze on US admission of any refugees
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Hmm...
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 38s38 seconds ago

Kingswood & Hazel Leys (Corby) result:
LAB: 64.6% (+10.3)
CON: 26.7% (+12.5)
GRN: 8.7% (-1.1)
No UKIP candidate
That last line is the most interesting given the result I posted just now.