Monday 27th March 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 27th March 2017

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hi PF
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

new page.
specially for you.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/ ... -franchise

Written statement to Parliament
South Western rail franchise
No surprise to see a state owned provider there- Hong Kong's transit co, which is 30% of this consortium, is 76% state owned. Margins are reckoned to be pretty low now, and having a state operator involved means they can get cheap capital.

You could of course argue that a UK part-privatized operator could run the whole lot.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Surprised that Grayling didn't chuck Waterloo Station in with the contract. You could probably get a fair bit more cash upfront from the franchiser if you did that.
GetYou
Minister of State

Post by GetYou »

Unsurprisingly long list of myths about the EU:

http://blogs.ec.europa.eu/ECintheUK/eur ... a-z-index/
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

More talks about power sharing in NI due - no new election in the forseeable future (sensibly)

The problem is that Foster clearly needs to go, but somehow this has to happen in a way that doesn't look like a "victory" for THEM 'UNS.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

The economic shock of Brexit could be catastrophic for many:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 8.html?amp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Britain's divided decade: the rich are 64% richer than before the recession, while the poor are 57% poorer

Levels of debt and reliance on overdrafts increasing among the poor
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Yeah. The UUP leader walked after a bad result, and that's how it was seen. The DUP leader should do the same. What sort of a nonsense is it where not strengthening your party is seen as surrender?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

adam wrote:Went to a meeting at the weekend to see Harry Leslie-Smith and Nick Lowles discuss the future of health and welfare in light of leaving the EU. Unfortunately neither could attend at the last moment so got three perfectly nice local activists speaking instead, then got stuck in a discussion group focussing on the main question of the day only to have it dominated by two SW sellers who spent all of the time saying 'well I voted no in 1974 because Jack Jones told me to and you know what after we joined Europe we lost full employment and coal mines so now we're leaving we're going to get all of that back' and telling me I was an intellectual snob who understood nothing about working people when I suggested they might be wrong. I never want to go to another political meeting again.
They're often nice if you meet them in the street, even when you don't buy their paper. But I never want to sit in a meeting with them.

Ask them why the EU doesn't stop Denmark having full employment next time you see them.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:new page.
specially for you.
Aw - thanks! Hello!
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Hi all :)

Don't often post, but still read most days.

Here's a woman who believed Trump when he said he'd only deport the "bad hombres." Her husband is being deported Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pos ... 813621354e (hopefully, I still remember how to post links)
Critics on the left have blasted Beristain for not taking the president’s rhetoric seriously and allowing his administration to plunge the country into what they consider a chaotic and inhumane immigration debacle. Critics on the right have inundated the family with racist threats and attacked Beristain for giving refuge to the love of her life, a man they consider a foreign interloper.

Caught in the middle of the fiery political clash are people like Roberto Beristain — people who have built a successful life inside the confines of the fuzzy legal limbo in which they exist. Supporters say the 43-year-old has never broken the law and doesn’t have so much as a parking ticket on his record. The mayor of South Bend, Ind., the conservative community that the Beristains call home, called him “one of its model residents.”
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

How the Trump presidency is succeeding. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... bd3c8d6a99
Despite the chaos and the growing credibility gap, Trump is systematically succeeding in his quest to “deconstruct the administrative state,” as his chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon puts it. He’s pursued the most aggressive regulatory rollback since Ronald Reagan, especially on environmental issues, with a series of bills and executive orders. He’s placed devoted ideologues into perches from which they can stop aggressively enforcing laws that conservatives don’t like. By not filling certain posts, he’s ensuring that certain government functions will simply not be performed. His budget proposal spotlighted his desire to make as much of the federal bureaucracy as possible wither on the vine.
Apologies for the long URL. Not sure how to shorten it, as I'm a complete IT numpty. :lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

From a couple of days ago

Time to act on 'unacceptable' level of UK financial exclusion

Lords Select Committee on Financial Exclusion

Recommendation to abolish waiting period under UC,amongst other things.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/commi ... published/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
adam wrote:Went to a meeting at the weekend to see Harry Leslie-Smith and Nick Lowles discuss the future of health and welfare in light of leaving the EU. Unfortunately neither could attend at the last moment so got three perfectly nice local activists speaking instead, then got stuck in a discussion group focussing on the main question of the day only to have it dominated by two SW sellers who spent all of the time saying 'well I voted no in 1974 because Jack Jones told me to and you know what after we joined Europe we lost full employment and coal mines so now we're leaving we're going to get all of that back' and telling me I was an intellectual snob who understood nothing about working people when I suggested they might be wrong. I never want to go to another political meeting again.
They're often nice if you meet them in the street, even when you don't buy their paper. But I never want to sit in a meeting with them.

Ask them why the EU doesn't stop Denmark having full employment next time you see them.

Yes - I remarked something similar a while back. They seem to undergo some strange personality change when they go into a meeting. The speed with which they change back into their earlier selves once the meeting is over is quite unnerving. A bit sci-fi.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/ ... es-aged-83" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

David Storey, author of This Sporting Life, dies at 83
Tributes are paid to the playwright and Booker prize-winning novelist celebrated for his collaborations with Lindsay Anderson
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

They do lots of very good legwork. It's one reason, I think, why some of the Labour Left get involved with stuff with SWP convenors when they shouldn't. Take them and their energy out of street level anti-racism and there'd be a gap.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... lodge-room" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

'Dog kennel' flats in Barnet will be 40% smaller than Travelodge room
Homes converted from London council offices are permitted to be far below national minimum size due to deregulation of planning rules
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I wonder if Theresa May is going to settle for a bad deal after having softened people up for being conned into thinking that she's secured a good deal; as she would otherwise have settled for no deal. If you catch my drift. I doubt it though, as I think she is hell bent on "no deal", whatever is offered (and however good). I'm just idly musing.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

No surprises from Mr Lydon
Former Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon has revealed himself to be a supporter of Brexit and defender of Donald Trump, saying the US President was definitely not racist and could even be a “possible friend”.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 52981.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

tinyclanger2 wrote:No surprises from Mr Lydon
Former Sex Pistols frontman John Lydon has revealed himself to be a supporter of Brexit and defender of Donald Trump, saying the US President was definitely not racist and could even be a “possible friend”.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 52981.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meh, The Clash were better.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 52466.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zika virus project hailed by Theresa May on Scottish visit was funded by EU scheme which could be lost after Brexit
Prime Minister says the work is part of her plan to 'forge a more Global Britain' - but the funding stream is likely to disappear after EU withdrawal
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.neweurope.eu/article/belaru ... nemployed/
Belarus: thousands take to the streets to protest law against the unemployed
The law against “social parasites” is designed to punish those who fail to find work within 183 days. The unemployed will be charged with a substantial €210 fine, that is, in a country with an average monthly wage in the region of €300. Officially, unemployment in Belarus is below 1%.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.neweurope.eu/article/brexit ... eu-budget/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The program Horizon 2020, that covers all EU funds for research and innovation. UK is the main beneficiary. More so than Germany, which is the main contributor to the budget. And deservedly so, given the quality of research in the UK. It is hard to calculate the hole that UK will leave in the common budget upon quitting.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 52466.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zika virus project hailed by Theresa May on Scottish visit was funded by EU scheme which could be lost after Brexit
Prime Minister says the work is part of her plan to 'forge a more Global Britain' - but the funding stream is likely to disappear after EU withdrawal
Hard to imagine now, but the person who best made the argument about Britain projecting itself through the EU was Amber Rudd.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I hope everything's ok in the yahyah household.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

daydreamer wrote:How the Trump presidency is succeeding. :(

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/pow ... bd3c8d6a99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Despite the chaos and the growing credibility gap, Trump is systematically succeeding in his quest to “deconstruct the administrative state,” as his chief strategist Stephen K. Bannon puts it. He’s pursued the most aggressive regulatory rollback since Ronald Reagan, especially on environmental issues, with a series of bills and executive orders. He’s placed devoted ideologues into perches from which they can stop aggressively enforcing laws that conservatives don’t like. By not filling certain posts, he’s ensuring that certain government functions will simply not be performed. His budget proposal spotlighted his desire to make as much of the federal bureaucracy as possible wither on the vine.
Apologies for the long URL. Not sure how to shorten it, as I'm a complete IT numpty. :lol:
Hello! If you just paste the URL and don't use the tags, it will abbreviate it on the page, but still work (as above).
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

PorFavor wrote:I hope everything's ok in the yahyah household.
Seconded.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Trump approval rating with Gallup is 36%.

Obama never went below 38.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Evening everyone and thank the lord there's somewhere that isn't agreeing with Nick Clegg.

Has everyone got such short memories out there? There are lost of really sensible commentators with integrity and values who are speaking up for the EU. Then liar, traitor Clegg pops up on Dimbleby and everyone sodding agrees with him.

I'm cross :evil:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:Evening everyone and thank the lord there's somewhere that isn't agreeing with Nick Clegg.

Has everyone got such short memories out there? There are lost of really sensible commentators with integrity and values who are speaking up for the EU. Then liar, traitor Clegg pops up on Dimbleby and everyone sodding agrees with him.

I'm cross :evil:
Uh oh
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 51571.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anger at key rail franchise award to Anglo-Hong Kong consortium
New operator takes over during massive summer rebuilding project at London Waterloo
Brits taking back control.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/new ... 51571.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anger at key rail franchise award to Anglo-Hong Kong consortium
New operator takes over during massive summer rebuilding project at London Waterloo
Brits taking back control.
It's 70% British owned and the 30% bit (which is 76% owned by the Hong Kong government) will be getting cheap capital.

Ah, the rebuilding of Waterloo- that might be why Grayling hasn't chucked the station in with the franchise. It's run by Network Rail now.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good to read you, PaulfromYorkshire, I'm not happy with current affairs either.
Yahyah, please take care and I hope to read you again soon.

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

HindleA wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... lodge-room

'Dog kennel' flats in Barnet will be 40% smaller than Travelodge room
Homes converted from London council offices are permitted to be far below national minimum size due to deregulation of planning rules
A former monastery in the west of Scotland has gone on the market for the same price as a one-bedroom London flat
http://www.scotsman.com/news/former-sco ... -1-4403056
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Dearie me...the DM front page...

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:roll:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Taking banal to new depths.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The DM I hasten to add.
Not RoT.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

tinyclanger2 wrote:The DM I hasten to add.
Not RoT.
I've been called worse...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Neil Henderson‏Verified account
@hendopolis

Follow
More
TIMES: Police chief jobs opened to civilians #tomorrowspaperstoday
No. Just no.

A bit like that ridiculous idea of recruiting HTs from outside education. You have to have been there, done that etc
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Isn't there something of a divide between the lower ranks (represented by the Fed) and the "seventh floor"?

At least the senior cops now have done what the infantry do. Imagine what it would be like if they hadn't.