Tuesday, 18th April 2017

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday, 18th April 2017

Post by SpinningHugo »

Not sure why Isabel Hardman's partner is bothering standing again, for example. He'll clearly lose, so why piss people off by saying he won't back Corbyn?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:Is everyone registered to vote?
Yes.

(I think it's a "fallow" year here so far as the locals are concerned.)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:That's right about the role of opposition. It is misunderstood. But a chance to make a case recently was blown. Not the media''s fault.
It was partly "blown" by Labour in the immediate aftermath of June 23, when the Tories were at their most vulnerable.

Now, why was that?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

seeingclearly wrote:
Funny how similar your way of presenting your argument matches the Tory email Paul posted. And Mays' speech. Do you study their handbook?
Do I have to do the long list again of why I am not a Tory (used to be a long list of why I vote Labour, but sadly I can't do that any longer)?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:Not sure why Isabel Hardman's partner is bothering standing again, for example. He'll clearly lose, so why piss people off by saying he won't back Corbyn?
Um, who is this exactly?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

SpinningHugo wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
Funny how similar your way of presenting your argument matches the Tory email Paul posted. And Mays' speech. Do you study their handbook?
Do I have to do the long list again of why I am not a Tory (used to be a long list of why I vote Labour, but sadly I can't do that any longer)?
No please spare us ;-)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I have concluded that like many "centrists" SH is in awe of the process of politics, rather than any actual outcomes.

As that article the other day summed up, West Wing syndrome ;)
Is now the time to admit that I've only ever seen a part of just one episode of "The West Wing"? I wasn't enchanted by it.
I haven't seen even a part of an episode of "The West Wing". I did quite enjoy the first series of Borgan, though.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-not-need" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the-guardian-view-on-the-2017-general-election-a-poll-that-britain-does-not-need
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:Not sure why Isabel Hardman's partner is bothering standing again, for example. He'll clearly lose, so why piss people off by saying he won't back Corbyn?
Um, who is this exactly?

John Woodcock
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

SpinningHugo wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
That assumes I believe a word you say - which I don't
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

SpinningHugo wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
No, you are an honest-to-God Green. Without a dickeybird of Green policy to share.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Um, who is this exactly?

John Woodcock
Well I did not know that.

(his being Hardman's partner I mean, not his *officially* not supporting Jez which hardly surprises at all)
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Willow904 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:I have concluded that like many "centrists" SH is in awe of the process of politics, rather than any actual outcomes.

As that article the other day summed up, West Wing syndrome ;)
Is now the time to admit that I've only ever seen a part of just one episode of "The West Wing"? I wasn't enchanted by it.
I haven't seen even a part of an episode of "The West Wing". I did quite enjoy the first series of Borgan, though.
Nor me, bored me as most US politics bores me though not outcomes, Borgen not, but wasn't it about politics and PR?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
John Woodcock

(his being Hardman's partner I mean, not his *officially* not supporting Jez which hardly surprises at all)

He'll be gone. Tiny majority.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
No please spare us ;-)
Probably not the best time for it but this routine always reminds me
of the IT crowd, when Roy is accused (quite rightly) of not being all he's claimed to be.
[youtube]PA9SI6rEW0A[/youtube]
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

good god.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Fixed that for you Hugo. By the way, are we happy with the 3 quotes limit to avoid quotathons? It can easily be amended.
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

seeingclearly wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
No, you are an honest-to-God Green. Without a dickeybird of Green policy to share.
Im sure Hugo is in favour of a citizens income, renationalization of the railways + no HS2 poisoning our natural heritage, massive investment in green energy, massive council house building programme, repealing 2012 health care act and removing private industry from public services, a robin hood tax, nat minimum wage of a tenner (yep another green policy labour stole) ban fracking, phase out coal and no new nuclear, scrap academies and bring back a fully comprehensive system of locally accountable and run schools, cap rents, license landlords and abolish the bedroom tax, end tax breaks for private schools, make businesses tendering for public money eligible to FOI, an ethical foreign policy, investment in social care - I expect Hugo to be applauding these things over the next two months...
Last edited by Temulkar on Tue 18 Apr, 2017 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... s-not-need

the-guardian-view-on-the-2017-general-election-a-poll-that-britain-does-not-need
"it is clear the decision was hers alone" ..... Hers and the downing street machine? Bye bye democracy. How to bypass parliament in one easy step. All pretence gone. Announce first and parliament be damned.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... e-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Confidence in the City about an easy victory for the Conservatives was behind much of sterling’s rise, with many speculating that a victory will give May a stronger mandate to plot a moderate line on Brexit and resist hardline anti-EU backbenchers.
Doff away.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Bunch of Munchkins.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am not sure I have the stomach for this.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Has anyone got a boat for hire?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tem

Or alternatively he is lying
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Am feeling a tad unempowered.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Public investment in rail between the UK''s biggest cities is right wing lunacy. I keep forgetting that.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
John Woodcock

He'll be gone. Tiny majority.
Not just that, but the salience of Trident means he would likely be gone even if Labour were doing better nationally.

(Barrow has past form for this, as the 1980s showed and 2015 nearly did just because of that silly scare about the SNP)

Maybe his saying what he has now is a form of "suicide by cop"?
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Just been threatened on here with having my account suspended for 'personal abuse'

Am I the first seeing some of the trolls who have never been stopped from posting?

Okay then Mr Dan ban away

I stand by what I have said about a particular poster.....and others
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Oh and I do apologise if I overstep the mark...when I am truly sorry
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Temulkar wrote:
Im sure Hugo is in favour of a citizens income, renationalization of the railways + no HS2 poisoning our natural heritage, massive investment in green energy, massive council house building programme, repealing 2012 health care act and removing private industry from public services, a robin hood tax, nat minimum wage of a tenner (yep another green policy labour stole) ban fracking, phase out coal and no new nuclear, scrap academies and bring back a fully comprehensive system of locally accountable and run schools, cap rents, license landlords and abolish the bedroom tax, end tax breaks for private schools, make businesses tendering for public money eligible to FOI, an ethical foreign policy, investment in social care - I expect Hugo to be applauding these things over the next two months...

No, some of those things are nonsense. But, I do strongly favour a massive green energy investment plan, phasing out coal, a fully comprehensive school system, ending tax breaks for private schools, an ethical foreign policy and investment in social care.

But as the Greens were the best party by far on Brexit, I'll back them despite some silly other things. I tend to be more technocratic (ie Blairite, evidence based, backed up by the consensus of economists) in the solutions I favour. But we can fight over those when we're in government.

You and me together brother.

Let us make it happen!

I expect us to do very, very well. 7% looks achievable to me.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
I expect so.

I did see a survey of MPs in marginals and how Corbynite they were (not very). Anyone with a link? We could lose quite a few MPs you disapprove of. Jess Phillips must be worried for example.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Am feeling a tad unempowered.
In what respect?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Is seven weeks quite long for an election campaign?
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

When there is nothing left to lose then disempowerment is not an option. Alternatively you could eat the ears off a chocolate bunny. Your stomach will be fine.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
I expect so.

I did see a survey of MPs in marginals and how Corbynite they were (not very). Anyone with a link? We could lose quite a few MPs you disapprove of. Jess Phillips must be worried for example.
Its not just me who disapproves of her, tbf ;)

Ah well, she would then have more time to write crappy self-promoting books fawned over by her journo mates.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
I expect so.

Jess Phillips had the wind knocked out of her today, and for once had something real to say. Hope she stays that way.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
In what respect?
the world
the Labour party
the state of Britain
and, if I am perfectly honest, I have no appetite for Hugo's supercilious tone, and even less for the comments (now including my own) it incites.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
I expect so.

Ah well, she would then have more time to write crappy self-promoting books fawned over by her journo mates.

There are plenty of MPs one can disagree with but respect

There are others who just can't keep their mouths shut and keep out of trouble

Abbott is of this tendency as well but Phillips is particularly annoying
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

and now feeling sorry for the chocolate bunny
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

will put kettle to use and see if that sorts me out a bit
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
In what respect?
the world
the Labour party
the state of Britain
and, if I am perfectly honest, I have no appetite for Hugo's supercilious tone, and even less for the comments (now including my own) it incites.
I am genuinely sorry for being part of that tc but try to look positively....if you can

Seeingclearly and Hindle's contributions can help
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

howsillyofme1 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: I expect so.

There are plenty of MPs one can disagree with but respect

There are others who just can't keep their mouths shut and keep out of trouble

Abbott is of this tendency as well but Phillips is particularly annoying
Always makes me laugh when JP employs (as she has done a few times) the "I'M BEING SILENCED!!!" gambit.

That will be the day :)
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I have actually voted Green once,in a local election with no Labour candidate and in an area where you got fined for non wearing of jackboots and if male adult non moustache,even if drawn in.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
HindleA wrote:@howsilly

"I would ask who will be voting to ensure the best opportunity of defeating the Tories......will people vote for Labour even if Corbyn led?"

Well,locally-and I'm outraged that apparently people are suggesting actively undermining Labour-at the obvious consequent risk of diminished lives,prospects,and base misanthropy caused by a return to Tory maladministration here and others pay as a "strategy",clearly continued Labour control is ever more important,now.
MP wise never been anything else but Labour,but now a marginal-so again gathering as many postal votes as possible to hopefully keep that the case.I don't pretend to have any principles beyond I bear in mind a Party supported by the likes of insult to faecal matter rusty as an example of their more reasonable contingent.We have a representative democracy and seriously don't obsess,think about Corbyn in voting terms because I am not voting/or not for him.
Between 30-50% of Labour 2015 voters have walked away, new voters have come in but nowhere near enough.

You can't blame the electorate for rejecting the menu. The odd disgruntled Labour member is statistically insignificant.
I most can certainly blame the bloody electorate for voting for Tory incompetents......Cameron and May

Why is the Labour menu worse than the Tory one?

You really have let hatred of Corbyn lose you any vestige of credibility.....your posts are indistinguishable from our friend Rusty's

Perhaps go for a lie down and come back when you have calmed down a bit
How anybody who claims to live in Switzerland and claims to have a doctorate has arrogance to blame the British electorate for disagreeing with their fantasy world is beyond me.

The real world does not oblige, deal with it.
Release the Guardvarks.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Way before,I sit to be corrected,current advocators-real or imagined on here,about 25 years ago.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
howsillyofme1 wrote:
In what respect?
the world
the Labour party
the state of Britain
Isn't that illegal (inciting comments)?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

MPs by majority

http://www.politicsresources.net/area/uk/mps-maj.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rupa Huq

Wes Streeting

Daniel Zeichner

John Woodcock

Tulip Siddiq

Peter Kyle

Tom Blenkinsop

All gone. Interesting times.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Firstly I am honest about what I am and where I live. There is no lie here. It would be easier to lie and hide things but I don't and try to pretend

I also happen to care about the UK as all my family live there and I do mind that they are being done down by the Tories

If you think the Tory menu is better then go and vote for them

It confirms all I think about you.......

Do you not think the whole Tory ethos is a 'fantasy world'?

Your posts get more and more bizarre......
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

...[pound] hitting a four-month high against the dollar of $1.283. Against the euro, sterling also surged to €1.19, a gain of 1%...
woo-hoo
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:will put kettle to use and see if that sorts me out a bit
A cup of tea.

They can't take that away from us.

Can they? :?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb