Wednesday 26th February 2020

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 26th February 2020

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 26th February 2020

Post by HindleA »

https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... g.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Thread on foodbanks.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://spi.web.ox.ac.uk/files/sourbutreport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Good morning, everyone.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

today's Simon Wren-Lewis
Low paid jobs for British born workers
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... s.html?m=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:Thread on foodbanks.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://spi.web.ox.ac.uk/files/sourbutreport" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Government's Universal Credit (UC) machine forcing people into scrambling for a sub-minimal subsistence existence
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I've just been doing some ironing, listening to a young woman talking about prescription charges for people with long term conditions on R4, she'd had a liver transplant as a baby.

If only there was a GE with the chance to vote for a party promising to abolish them.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000fpnx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

gilsey wrote:I've just been doing some ironing, listening to a young woman talking about prescription charges for people with long term conditions on R4, she'd had a liver transplant as a baby.

If only there was a GE with the chance to vote for a party promising to abolish them.
If its a young woman, the likelihood she voted Tory is not that high tbf.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

She shouldn't have been paying and not the only person covered in the programme that did without/rationed when exempt.As with many supposedly "targeted"things it doesn't "reach"the very people it should.That they should be free for all is quite clear to me.Hunt proposed a "paid for by the taxpayer"emblazoned on them should they cost a certain amount,a very reasonable proposal if you are a nasty piece of shit.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Not one person on the prog mentioned it, that’s all.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Ah o.k.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I see that our PM emerged from seclusion to do PMQs today.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Severn flood defences breached as waters near record levels
Emergency evacuation takes place in Ironbridge, Shropshire, as water overwhelms barriers
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... vern-rises" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Teacher Sally Hebbard is living in an Airbnb after being forced out of her riverside home with her husband and daughter. She said: “Our houses are under a foot of water, still rising. Two of the neighbours sadly couldn’t afford insurance. Shropshire council made no contact whatsoever with us, either prior to or during the evacuation process. They offered no assistance, not a single solitary sandbag was forthcoming.

“Now I sit listening to PMQs I hear Boris saying there will be a quick £500 and a further £5,000 available to us, but when I called the council I was met with a vague answer that they are waiting for central government to give them further information. So no immediate £500 then?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Shropshire Council was created in 2009, a unitary authority taking over from the previous county council and five district councils. The borough of Telford and Wrekin has been a separate unitary authority since 1998 but continues to be included in the ceremonial county.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shropshire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So many confusing divisions
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

citizenJA wrote:
Shropshire Council was created in 2009, a unitary authority taking over from the previous county council and five district councils. The borough of Telford and Wrekin has been a separate unitary authority since 1998 but continues to be included in the ceremonial county.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shropshire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So many confusing divisions
Doesn't really matter. It's Westminster government in charge of funding.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Flooding crisis is under control, minister tells struggling farmers
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ng-farmers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The government has rejected calls for a public inquiry into the UK flooding disaster, arguing that it has the crisis under control. The environment secretary, George Eustice, came under sustained attack at the National Farmers’ Union annual conference, but said the government had already saved thousands of homes from flooding and would be spending “record” amounts on future defences.

“I don’t think we need an inquiry, because there have been a number over the last decade,” Eustice said.
[Eustice] faced a hostile reception from farmers, who gasped at some of his answers and applauded sharp interventions from the NFU president, Minette Batters.

Batters said she accepted that Johnson was not going to visit any flood sites, but in a sideswipe, said: “Unless cabinet ministers get out and see this issue for themselves, it’s very hard [to understand the level of ruin].” She added: “They are clearly not going to have an inquiry. This is only going to get worse. We are going to see more of this.” .
(cJA bold)
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

2h ago
15:52
It’s been a bad day for the UK labour market.

Lloyds Banking Group, insurance group Direct Line and fashion chain Ted Baker have all announced job cut plans, a day after Tesco said 1,800 jobs were at risk at its supermarket bakeries.
Eek. More UK jobs cuts, this time at Virgin Money.

That takes today’s total of job losses over 2,000
From the G business live.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Okay, I'll post it now that Mr citizen just said what I've thought for a while now.
The Covid-19 outbreak (the media coverage) is being used as a distraction from other things.

edited to add
I think it's likely part of something larger; it's being used as justification or an explanation for something else, maybe something we don't know yet.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 59606.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

citizenJA wrote:Okay, I'll post it now that Mr citizen just said what I've thought for a while now.
The Covid-19 outbreak (the media coverage) is being used as a distraction from other things.

edited to add
I think it's likely part of something larger; it's being used as justification or an explanation for something else, maybe something we don't know yet.
INTRUSIVE EDIT BY MODERATOR WARNING!!! INTRUSIVE EDIT BY MODERATOR WARNING!!!

SPOILER WARNING!!! SPOILER WARNING!!!

Sounds like the plot to C4's sci-fi series "Utopia":

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_(British_TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Carvel was a scientist who developed the protein "Janus" that would sterilise the human race – his solution to avoid the problems associated with overpopulation. The code for Janus is hidden in the manuscript. The Network wants to fulfil Carvel's plan and sterilise 90–95% of the world population. They have created a similar protein, but it is not certain whether it works. Anyway, they put the sterilising protein in a vaccine for the Russian flu whose epidemic outbreak is gripping the nation in fear and panic.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Okay, I'll post it now that Mr citizen just said what I've thought for a while now.

edited to add

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utopia_(British_TV_series" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Carvel was a scientist who developed the protein "Janus" that would sterilise the human race – his solution to avoid the problems associated with overpopulation. The code for Janus is hidden in the manuscript. The Network wants to fulfil Carvel's plan and sterilise 90–95% of the world population. They have created a similar protein, but it is not certain whether it works. Anyway, they put the sterilising protein in a vaccine for the Russian flu whose epidemic outbreak is gripping the nation in fear and panic.
I meant something more prosaic, like blaming it for an economic recession likely going to happen regardless. I didn't make that clear. :oops:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... round-poll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Willow904 wrote:

edited to add

I obviously don't want to (and won't) abuse my moderator super powers but I think this is a big big spoiler for a very good show that everyone should watch. Despite all the blood and eyes and stuff.
I still believe in a town called Hope