Friday 7th May 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 7th May 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
GetYou
Minister of State

Re: Friday 7th May 2021

Post by GetYou »

I see the new Tory MP for Hartlepool has activated the well-worn line "Labour has taken taken the people of Hartlepool granted for far too long.", which amuses me as I would find it quite difficult to plan around the needs of people who prefer a lying, cheating, sack of shit as their leader to any of the more savoury alternatives.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good (?) Morning.

Interesting analysis from Gavin Barwell.

And the bit where he says "Today's Conservative Party believes in relatively high spending and relatively high taxes" should horrify the frothing right who loathe public sector and want to see it cut to ribbons but they'll accept it.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Also from Barwell's thread
Labour is increasingly the party of the young, the university educated, the city dweller but it still thinks of itself as the party of the working class
When Labour, and the Conservatives for that matter, get their heads round the idea that young, educated city dwellers are a massive component of the working class we might be able to make some progress.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Hello all.

I haven't had much time for politics lately but I did manage to vote yesterday. It was very quiet at the polling station but Labour had volunteers knocking on doors trying to get the vote out which I don't think I've seen since Ed Miliband was in charge. There was some hope Dan Norris could do quite well in the mayoral contest I believe and the current Tory is stepping down so they won't benefit from the incumbency effect but I imagine it will remain blue.

I also noticed some talk on the BBC yesterday about the Tories potentially hoovering up the pro union vote in Scotland, an absolutely laughable suggestion given their new role as the English Nationalist Party and certainly there doesn't seem to be much sign of it so far.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Fri 07 May, 2021 9:53 am
And the bit where he says "Today's Conservative Party believes in relatively high spending and relatively high taxes" should horrify the frothing right who loathe public sector and want to see it cut to ribbons but they'll accept it.
It's already been cut to ribbons. When we see some of that public spending going to councils and social security they might start frothing, but hell might freeze over first.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Eventually the contradictions of this "big Tory tent" will do for it, just as happened to the New Labour version. In the meantime, it would be nice not only for Labour to get its s*** together but for the media to spend more time holding the actual government (rather than the opposition) to account.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Foster's nailed it here imo. The burning question of the day, do they have to deliver or is talk sufficient?
How crazy that it's a valid question, like commentators having to explain to us why it matters who paid for the wallpaper, as a country we've lost the plot.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is our future - everything good "Because of Brexit", everything bad "Blame the EU".
Speaking in Hartlepool, Boris Johnson also claimed that the country was now benefiting from Brexit. He explained:

This a a place that voted for Brexit. We got Brexit done and then we are able to do other things thanks to that.

It’s thanks to Brexit that we have been able to go ahead with the freeport in the whole of Teesside, do things like take back control of our borders.

We are able to deal with things like the European Super League and, of course, we are able to do things a bit differently when it comes to the vaccine rollout that has been so important and enabled [us] to deliver that faster than other European countries.
:wall:

How have we ended up with such a liar as PM...who is seemingly untouchable?
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Talk is never enough in the end.

And to misquote E A Blair - "if there is hope, it lies with the Welsh"?

A stunning result given the more general picture.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I see that a Labour front-bencher has quit his post and had a right pop at the party...in an article he wrote for Policy Exchange.

:toss:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Is this the one that actually resigned four weeks ago (but nobody noticed)?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:shock: vis a vis SGO's comment last night on Bigg Market:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Leanne Wood, former Plaid leader, loses her seat by a big majority (and she isn't on any of the lists)

Politics can be a pretty rough game.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

More than half of young people now going to university, figures show
Figures also show a gender gap, with women more likely to go to university than men
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/educ ... 22321.html
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Fri 07 May, 2021 7:32 pm Is this the one that actually resigned four weeks ago (but nobody noticed)?
That's the one.

If you're writing for the current Policy Exchange then you're almost certainly in the wrong party.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Third place in Hartlepool went to an (entirely local) Independent with nearly 10% of the vote.

She is thought to be Labour-sympathetic and surely can't have done worse than the candidate they did pick.

Meanwhile the MASSIVELY ONLINE thing that is NIP got 250 votes, two more than a convicted sex offender.