Friday 23rd July 2021

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 23rd July 2021

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Friday 23rd July 2021

Post by frog222 »

Morning RFM

" Wear a mask, don't wear a mask , next month ....WEAR A MASK ! "

Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Its always been a bit silly that you can't accuse another member of "falsehoods" in parliament.

The convention is the other half of the convention that members don't lie to parliament, of course, which isn't silly at all if it's stuck to, but of course it's being flaunted to the point that the convention has now become absurd. It needs addressing somehow. Which is difficult when the behaviour of MPs is governed by the ministerial code and responsibility for enforcing that code currently resides with the worst offender.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@Willow " It needs addressing somehow. "
Listening to Starmer and Ashworth for example -- they just drone on , then you forget what they said, because it's worthy stuff we all KNEW already . So zzzzzzzzzz ! :D
Lack of imagination is their crippling weakness, no traces of a sense of humour ?

You have to surprise the buggers, which will wake up the public . At last .
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Fri 23 Jul, 2021 8:52 am Listening to Starmer and Ashworth for example -- they just drone on , then you forget what they said, because it's worthy stuff we all KNEW already . So zzzzzzzzzz ! :D
Lack of imagination is their crippling weakness, no traces of a sense of humour ?
I saw a little twitter poll the other day, who would you vote for the Labour leadership knowing what you know now.
Emily Thornberry was winning, presumably for this very reason.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@Gilsey
[/quote]
I saw a little twitter poll the other day, who would you vote for the Labour leadership knowing what you know now.
Emily Thornberry was winning, presumably for this very reason.
[/quote]Yes! Happy memory of her saying "Bollocks!" on air :D
Pity she signed up to the BoD's Ten Pledges ... we can see where that and Starmer's subsequent purges have led -- A Party where enthusiasts from the IDF's Unit 8200 can now feel perfectly at home .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

You do have to wonder where Thornberry might be now if That Tweet had never been sent.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well I have to say I was underwhelmed by that opening ceremony. No giant monsters or robots and most disappointingly no cute girls dressed like a cross between a French maid and a cat. That wasn't the Japan I know.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

The nations parade is still going on, in Japanese alphabetical order which makes it a bit confusing for the rest of us.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Not just French maids, they do English maids too now. Still with cat ears obviously.

https://japantoday.com/category/feature ... -Akihabara

I think I might open one here, but with men in skimpy ninja outfits with fluffy Spaniel ears, perhaps a doggy nose as well. Seems only fair.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Fri 23 Jul, 2021 12:45 pm You do have to wonder where Thornberry might be now if That Tweet had never been sent.
AK -- funny old world when Johnson is allowed to live down a thousand worse, plus of course several score thousand dead people, £ billions embezzled ...
I hope she sticks around . Same for Clive Lewis
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Fantastic.

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello all
Getting dewy-eyed about the 2012 opening watched while on holiday on a roof terrace in Stresa
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Because of its subsequent (mis)use by certain centrist types, its easy to forget how good it actually was.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Just fabulous.

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

'Alternative' viewing with Byline TV
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Long Covid with Nisreen Alwani

One daughter (44) , one of her school friends, a younger man at the BioCoop who is a little better now, a very fit physio friend of mine flattened since 12/3/20 ( after an initial respite when she started exercising again.)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Dawn Butler at 7.30 on Novara Media

Live, so see it on repeat .......
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

The Nicolas Cage review is back by popular demand.

Pig.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11003218/

Nicolas Cage is living in a shack in the woods with his truffle pig until some miscreants violently steal it and he sets off to get it back.

The first thing to mention is Nicolas Cage is sporting what appears to be his natural beard in this film rather than looking like someone has stuck some of Silvio Berlusconi's hair on his face which is a welcome change. The second thing to mention is it's a really good film so I don't want to give too much away. Suffice it to say, during his odyssey to find his lost pig we get to learn why he was living alone in the woods with it. And for once, it has nothing to do with psychotic biker gangs, or demons, or insane religious cults, or aliens. There's nothing weird of wacky about Pig, it's not even violent, apart from one bit where he gets beaten up*. I couldn't recommend it highly enough, not just as a Nicolas Cage film, bas as an actual piece of quality film making.

So on the Cageometer it has to be a 5/5.

*He gets beaten up then spends the rest of the film walking around with blood all over his face and beard. This happens all the time in films these days. Why does nobody wash their face anymore? It's really annoying, at one point he washes his hands but does he remove the caked blood from his beard? No. Wash your damn face!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Butler has done a pretty good job of reinventing herself given that she started out as very much a Blair/Brown loyalist MP.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Also Tales from Tesco.

There were lots of gaps on the shelves when I went earlier and no fresh bread at all. When I asked about the bread I was told the bakery (in the shop) couldn't open because most of the staff had been 'pinged'. The booze aisles were half empty, there were no fresh pizzas at all, or garlic bread. I mean I know it's hardly the end of civilisation as we know it but they're obviously struggling.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I rarely visit Tesco but did today, the first place I've seen significantly reduced mask-wearing. Are the staff supposed to wear one, because they weren't. Although it was in Redcar so perhaps I should make allowances.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I saw a suggestion on twitter that opposition MPs should do 'I am Spartacus' after Dawn Butler, ie a different MP each day calls Johnson a liar and gets suspended. Would have to wait till September now of course.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Johnson in a sentence.
In relation to both Brexit and Covid, he seems to have simply decided it is all too difficult and boring, and can’t even be bothered to engage with either of them in any meaningful way. So Covid policy has been sub-contracted to individuals and organizations to cope with as best they can, whilst Brexit has been sub-contracted to the lamentably over-promoted David Frost.
https://chrisgreybrexitblog.blogspot.com/

Includes sensible suggestions for Labour on a Brexit way forward which I expect will be ignored.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@gilsey

Thanks for that link.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Fri 23 Jul, 2021 11:15 pm I rarely visit Tesco but did today, the first place I've seen significantly reduced mask-wearing. Are the staff supposed to wear one, because they weren't. Although it was in Redcar so perhaps I should make allowances.
My local one is the biggest in Leeds and I'd say about half the customers weren't wearing masks, and as usual those not wearing them were almost exclusively women. Why that would be I couldn't guess but it's been true throughout the last 16 months.

As for the staff I know someone who works there and he wears a mask but apparently it's a matter of choice.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

My parents are now isolating because my mother's cousin came to visit and her son who she lives with has tested positive. He thought he had a cold but after losing his sense of taste and smell he got tested. She's now stuck at my parents house for the next 10 days. My friend is now isolating because a director of the gallery he works in came to work despite knowing her daughter had Covid. My brother's school closed its doors to pupils a fortnight ago because so many pupils and staff were either testing positive or having to isolate.

It's almost as if a malevolent government, with the backing of public health officials, has intentionally allowed a novel virus to run rampant throughout the population like we're in some kind of 70's sci-fi dystopia.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

PorFavor wrote: Fri 23 Jul, 2021 11:44 pm @gilsey

Thanks for that link.
He does a new blog every week, it’s always worth reading. Tbh I’m not sure how he doesn’t give up in despair.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I was going to see my niece, who lives in Edinburgh, on Sunday while they were staying at their friend’s house near Harrogate, while the friend went on holiday to Wales. Except they’re not going because their child has Covid.

So now my niece is going to my sister’s in Darlo for a couple of days. 4 households plans disrupted before you even consider the place in Wales they were going to stay in.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Curiously my 'auntie' was also planning a shopping day out in Harrogate which has been ruined. She's from South Shields and looks like a human weeble. When we try to get her to walk any feeble distance while out in the great outdoors she complains about her myriad of pains, but as soon as she's near any interesting looking shops just watch her go.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

There's a veritable Hammer Horror style storm raging here.

I once had to claim, and sign for, a weeble at a police station lost property office. The whole procedure was conducted with great solemnity. (Long and unexciting story.)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

But she's absolutely brilliant fun. One of those kind of people who you could dump anywhere and they'd either charm or talk the ear off whoever was in charge and they'd eventually get their way.

I would say most Geordies are like that. But they're not.