Friday 7th January 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Friday 7th January 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 7th January 2022

Post by refitman »

The 'future of transport'

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Good morefternoon, all.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm sure said judges will be delighted to be wasting their time clarifying the law for our hard of thinking Attorney General and her butthurt fellow travellers. Not one of them has been able to point to a single 'loophole' in the law and even if they could it wouldn't matter, juries can come to whatever decision they like and there's absolutely nothing this obscenely overpromoted imbecile can do about it.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Snap.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good afternoon.

It's no surprise that Braverman has weighed in on the Coulston verdict - she's going to blame the legal profession after they tell her, like a former chief prosecutor did yesterday to Poll, "You cannot appeal or have a retrial."

She is an utter disaster as AG.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

I'm not sure this has gone how Ben intended 😅😅

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Braverman showed her true character a few years ago with her witless "cultural Marxism" wittering,
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

This is primarily for @sky I suppose - Mr & Mrs Sonny have tested positive for Covid. Three negative tests in the last few days before the bad one today. The only symptom between us is my hacking cough. Both triple vaccinated too! How long did yours take to run its course, sky?
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

This is for @sky too. I took a DNA test in December and it came back with an alarming (!) amount of Scottishness - 12%.
Half my recent family comes from Westmorland but there’s no obvious Scottish ancestry. All was possibly explained when the test threw up close relatives who I’d never heard of but who were obviously descended from my previously unknown grandfather’s family. Among the great grandparents was a Scot! Small world. Interesting exercise for those that way inclined.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

notnowsonny wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 4:17 pm This is primarily for @sky I suppose - Mr & Mrs Sonny have tested positive for Covid. Three negative tests in the last few days before the bad one today. The only symptom between us is my hacking cough. Both triple vaccinated too! How long did yours take to run its course, sky?
Oh dear, I'm sorry to hear that. The worst of it was over by day 6 but I didn't feel fully myself again until day 9. My cough wasn't that bad, just a mild irritant, it was the horrible exhaustion and brain fog that knocked the stuffing out of me and took the longest to clear up. Mind you, after a few days I did start drinking again so that probably didn't help my recovery. I wish you and Mrs Sonny all the best and please let us know how you get on.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 3:18 pm Braverman showed her true character a few years ago with her witless "cultural Marxism" wittering,
Not "witless", a far-right dog whistle.
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

@sky
Cheers! I’ll get the wine out for tomorrow then😁
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

RIP Jack Dromey
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

On the Braveman thing, presumably all the Court of Appeal could do would be to find that due process was not followed (e.g. the jury wasn't selected properly). As everyone else is saying, they can't revisit the decision of the jury can they?
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

notnowsonny wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 4:26 pm This is for @sky too. I took a DNA test in December and it came back with an alarming (!) amount of Scottishness - 12%.
Half my recent family comes from Westmorland but there’s no obvious Scottish ancestry. All was possibly explained when the test threw up close relatives who I’d never heard of but who were obviously descended from my previously unknown grandfather’s family. Among the great grandparents was a Scot! Small world. Interesting exercise for those that way inclined.
You had a previously unknown grandfather? :)

As you are now 12% Scottish (congratulations) I would say that means you're officially allowed to wear 12% of a kilt which should prove amusing at weddings.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Oh dear, how sad...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 4:54 pm
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 3:18 pm Braverman showed her true character a few years ago with her witless "cultural Marxism" wittering,
Not "witless", a far-right dog whistle.
Which is not necessarily mutually exclusive.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Vis a vis DNA - would recommend Stephen Oppenheimer's "The Origins of the British". Including thinking from disciplines outside of his "own" obviously he has incited animosity but it's fascinating stuff.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 5:10 pm
You had a previously unknown grandfather? :)

As you are now 12% Scottish (congratulations) I would say that means you're officially allowed to wear 12% of a kilt which should prove amusing at weddings.
Illegitimate mother (to go with the 5 or 6 other ‘father not known’ in my tree, three in four consecutive generations !

The kilt would be a discreet pelmet with Stewart tartan Sloggi pants then - the 70 % English would have a fit at anything else!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 4:57 pm RIP Jack Dromey
An obvious must win byelection for Labour.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

PaulfromYorkshire wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 4:58 pm On the Braveman thing, presumably all the Court of Appeal could do would be to find that due process was not followed (e.g. the jury wasn't selected properly). As everyone else is saying, they can't revisit the decision of the jury can they?
No they can't. All they would be able to look at was whether the judge gave the correct legal direction to the jury and as far as I'm aware nobody is claiming he did otherwise.

It's nothing more than impotent political posturing, and judging by Suella's tweets even she knows it.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Thanks for confirming Sky
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 5:19 pm Vis a vis DNA - would recommend Stephen Oppenheimer's "The Origins of the British". Including thinking from disciplines outside of his "own" obviously he has incited animosity but it's fascinating stuff.
Thanks. I’ll put it on my list!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Turns out both of my grandmothers were "born out of wedlock" - a fact which their children (my parents) were startled by at the time (sorting out of affairs). I guess it's a bit of a generational thing.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Live at 8PM: Join us for our first show of 2022 with a deep dive into the divisions, misinformation and escalation that led to the January 6th insurrection at the US Capitol and take an exclusive first look at Byline’s new documentary Shattered: How Big Tech Broke Society which deals with the insurrection, Brexit and Covid disinformation in the UK. With special guests Sarah Churchwell, professor of American Literature & Public Understanding of the Humanities at the School of Advanced Studies, University of London, UK and Anthony Barnett, co-founder of Open Democracy.

PLUS The UK’s Nationality and Borders bill will make second class citizens of many ethnic minorities, Baroness Sayeeda Warsi joins us to discuss this disturbing move by the Government.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 5:19 pm Vis a vis DNA - would recommend Stephen Oppenheimer's "The Origins of the British". Including thinking from disciplines outside of his "own" obviously he has incited animosity but it's fascinating stuff.
I remember reading that a while ago, I have to say it made me laugh. The idea that the East of the country spoke a Germanic language before the Anglo-Saxons arrived because the Belgae were somehow German is very silly indeed. There'd be evidence from place names from the Channel to the Firth of Forth, you could just drive up the A1 and point them out, yet there's none. There's plenty Celtic ones though, and never mind towns, many of the river names in the East have names with Brythonic Celtic roots which is a bit odd if the people living there never actually spoke the language. I can see why he might have incited some animosity because it's an old theory beloved of English and German nationalists which has absolutely no credible evidence to support it. So I'm sorry TC2 but I cannot endorse your endorsement. :(
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 6:30 pm Turns out both of my grandmothers were "born out of wedlock" - a fact which their children (my parents) were startled by at the time (sorting out of affairs). I guess it's a bit of a generational thing.
My sadly now deceased uncle (dad's brother) was lucky to be born at all. He had a huge 'birth mark' running all the way down the left side of his body from head to toe. When he got married his wife wanted to know if it was inheritable (some birth marks are apparently) and was pressing him to go for some kind of test, but they were stopped by his mother (my grandma obviously) who admitted it was the result of a botched back street abortion with a hot knitting needle.

We like to moan but in so many respects we have it easy compared to what previous generations had to go through.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Fri 07 Jan, 2022 6:30 pm Turns out both of my grandmothers were "born out of wedlock" - a fact which their children (my parents) were startled by at the time (sorting out of affairs). I guess it's a bit of a generational thing.
Mr gilsey also had an unknown grandfather, his father was illegitimate.

My Dad was born less than 9 months after his parents wedding and his grandfather was born before his parents got married.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Given the evidence of this evening it would seem there's been a lot of rolling in the hay going on in merrie olde England.

As I was brought up watching Carry On and Hammer films I can only assume this involved buxom wenches with heaving bosoms who were inexplicably attracted to older men with dirty laughs or old school vampires.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »