Wednesday 4th May 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wednesday 4th May 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 4th May 2022

Post by Willow904 »

@Sky'sGoneOut

I've got a 2:1 in Ancient & Medieval History. People were always asking me what I was going to do with my degree. On reflection I should have said "become Prime Minister". With my GCSE in Economics I reckon I'd ace it :D
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I don't even have O level history, persuaded them to let me give it up when I was 15. Too much work learning dates for exams. :oops:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I have A level economics, and even that dimly remembered stuff help you know Bojo was talking pish yesterday for example.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

I've actually always been quite rubbish at dates gilsey, I used to cram them right before an exam along with quotes, but rarely retain them the rest of the time. Luckily I did GCSE history which was more about understanding stuff and being able to use source materials than about memorising facts and became completely hooked. It's such a shame some in government keep trying to go back to making kids memorise lists of things. The original ethos behind GCSEs compared to 'O' levels was pretty sound.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Economics wasn't even offered at school, as far as I remember, I did a bit in accountancy training.

Re Reeves, she's a City economist, like Sunak, most Treasury and BoE bods, Ed Balls. At some point she's decided that's in her interests.
Financial markets rule ok.

The majority of academic economists such as Wren-Lewis, Blanchflower, Pettifor see things differently.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Willow904 wrote: Wed 04 May, 2022 12:16 pm I've actually always been quite rubbish at dates
Along with 95% of the general population, I should think. I just couldn't see the point of it. It would be impossible to justify nowadays, with wikipedia at everyone's fingertips.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

gilsey wrote: Wed 04 May, 2022 2:16 pm Economics wasn't even offered at school, as far as I remember, I did a bit in accountancy training.

Re Reeves, she's a City economist, like Sunak, most Treasury and BoE bods, Ed Balls. At some point she's decided that's in her interests.
Financial markets rule ok.

The majority of academic economists such as Wren-Lewis, Blanchflower, Pettifor see things differently.
Reeves worked for banks as such, not "the City", and in fact turned down a job offer at Goldman Sachs despite it paying her a lot more.

(and much the same is true of Balls, he actually worked for HM Treasury and academia - I have criticisms of both but lets be accurate here)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I should have said 'City economist'. There's a minority of academic economists with the same inclinations.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

gilsey wrote: Wed 04 May, 2022 2:16 pm Economics wasn't even offered at school, as far as I remember, I did a bit in accountancy training.
At mine it was only offered n the 6th form as something to fill up the timetable after choosing the A level subjects. My O levels being a bit of a disaster , I had to resit my Os in L6 and got to do Economics, Statistics, and Accounts.

In election news, there is a lot of distancing going on...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello!
I can barely remember what I studied. But do recall refusing to dissect a fertile chicken's egg in order to do nothing other than witness the fact that I'd killed a developing chick. I gave up biology as soon as was possible, and went on to study ... biology (but without the inside-out animals bit).
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Ha! Good luck optimising your integrated revenue upstream dynamic synergies through an agile cloud based horizontal management matrix powered by blockchain enabled machine learning now, Russkis!
chuckling-in-comradely-appreciation emoticon
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Nearly had one-too-many hyphens.
PF would have lost it.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

The irony is palpable

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I was curious about this headline in the G, specifically the use of 'risks'.

Biggest boom in City bonuses for years risks driving up inequality, says IFS

Couldn't see where the 'risk' came into it so checked the IFS headline, sure enough
Return of bumper pay growth in finance fuels new rise in earnings inequality
https://ifs.org.uk/publications/16042
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@tinyclanger2

chuckling-in-comradely-appreciation emoticon
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Just got back from seeing a terrific gig and saw the Man City score...and when the goals went in.

LOL as they say...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.