Tuesday 6th September 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 6th September 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 6th September 2022

Post by refitman »

Clearly the lesson to take away from the weekend

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Know your enemy p22473

A free read of the very detailed Times article
” Others remember Truss as someone who was bristling with ideas. “She was the person you wanted to sit next to. She was quick-witted and sharp. She enjoyed the repartee.”

Truss was also a member of Oxford’s Hayek Society, a student group advocating free trade, and the pro-EU Reform Club, another society dedicated to open markets. Other members of the Reform Club at the time included Olly Robbins, who became the UK’s chief Brexit negotiator, and Mark Littlewood, a Lib Dem turned Brexiteer who is the director of the Institute of Economic Affairs, a right-wing think tank.

Dominating the opposite side of the debate was a group of notorious Eurosceptics a few years above Truss, who included Daniel Hannan, the Brexiteer who Truss later appointed to the UK’s Board of Trade, and Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Littlewood and Truss would rekindle their friendship later in life. Reflecting on their time at university together, Littlewood said: “I wouldn’t have considered it a ludicrous thought that she could be prime minister. But if you told me she would be prime minister with the enthusiastic support of Dan Hannan and Jacob Rees-Mogg, I would have thought you were probably taking the mick.”
https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/uk/300677 ... tory-right
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

The only thing you need to read about yet another reference to a Roman...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
notnowsonny
Committee Member

Post by notnowsonny »

I thought it was impossible to top Priti Patel's self-congratulatory letter of resignation for unadulterated bullshit, but Borarse (copyright notnowsonny)
managed it today. Within minutes of his departure (and how I laughed when he nearly walked Clarrie into a lamp-post, blind as always to those depending on him) commentators were tearing apart his boasts and, let's be honest, lies.

Long may it last.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Heh.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

How is the campaign to "Reinstate Boris" going?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I was reading Libération just now, where she was also described as a weather-vane --

https://www.liberation.fr/international ... 4M24HMCYY/

As for this bit of rubbish --

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Looks like a few people Truss might have expected to be supportive are turning down positions in the "new" government.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Hello all.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I read and appreciate your various contributions daily, but remain in a quasi vegetative state (shocked by the world) which appears to inhibit me from thinking of anything remotely valuable or interesting to contribute.

Still, why start now eh!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

On the other hand (Joe Lycett)

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

From The Times Red Box mail

"Dorries, meanwhile, has told friends she had been “genuinely torn” between accepting an offer from Truss to stay on as culture secretary and pursuing other interests such as writing – but has since decided to head to the backbenches before accepting a peerage. <b>How soon she chooses to trigger that by-election will be an early test of just how much loyalty Johnson acolytes feel they owe his successor.</b>"

<b>"4. The audacity of Chope

At the very top of Liz Truss's in-tray: the worst kind of parting gift from Boris Johnson. </b>

" Overnight the government laid a motion to remove Conservative MP Laura Farris from the privileges committee investigation into whether the outgoing prime minister misled parliament... and replace her with one Sir Christopher Chope, the veteran backbencher and Brexiteer.

Farris announced over the summer that she would step down from the partygate probe. But it is hard to read No 10's choice of replacement as anything but deliberately provocative: if Chope's parliamentary career will be remembered for anything, it will be for his use of parliamentary procedure to frustrate colleagues.

He also has form for blocking investigations into alleged misconduct – in 2018 he was one of three MPs to veto an inquiry into bullying accusations against John Bercow. Unsurprisingly, Labour will move to force a vote on his appointment. It forces Truss, who has been critical of the investigation as a whole and lunched with Johnson at Chequers last week, to show her hand on partygate and her successor on day one. "

------------------------------------------------------------

Various people would perhaps prefer for him to remain MP for the quite marginal Uxbridge , should the Tories do badly next GE...

but that also a mixed blessing ! :-)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(Although in a fundamental way I don't approve, I did find the evidence-based approach entertaining)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Rain and distant thunder here, how's the weather at Number Ten ?

Nice if she is interrupted by floods of rain ..
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

There were big thunderstorms locally last night, and one has just started again now.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

What's the collective noun for a big bunch of Tories
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@TC2 -- something with 'cluster' in it I'm sure :-)

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

A sizable cluster of creeps waiting for their new Leader

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I remember when Cameron and Osborne came in and we thought it couldn't get any worse (I think we were even still at the Guardian comments at the time)
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

(For the record I was modded for using the word "psychopath")
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

CRACE

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... o-the-last
" Downing Street fell silent as Johnson and Carrie, who looked as if she had just come from Coachella, came out of the front door of No 10. The Convict looked vaguely disturbed, as if he couldn’t quite believe his reckoning was finally at hand. Somehow he had clung to the hope it had all been a bad joke and that the Tory party would come to their senses and beg him to stay. His eyes darted around, searching for a saviour to rise from the streets. None came. "
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

” Others remember Truss as someone who was bristling with ideas. “She was the person you wanted to sit next to. She was quick-witted and sharp. She enjoyed the repartee.”
We keep being told this, that away from the cameras she's brimming with wit and intelligence, yet her 'achievements' in all the ministerial posts she's had tell a very different story. I mean just take the trade deal she struck with New Zealand. They were literally laughing about it in the New Zealand press, they couldn't believe anyone would have been so stupid to offer it, free rein to their farmers and a negative impact on our GDP. Her time as enviroment minister has left our rivers and seas clogged with shit. As justice secretary her single notable achievement was failing to defend judges when the Mail described them as enemies of the people and as chief secretary to the treasury she achieved precisely nothing besides posting lots of pictures of herself on Instagram.

If we judge Liz Truss by her deeds rather than the fawning anecdotes of sycophants then the picture that emerges matches exactly what we see from her in public. A vapid simpleton barely able to string a coherent sentence together with the mannerisms of a Thunderbirds puppet suffering from neurological trauma.

It's like asking people to believe that sprouts are nice if you cook them properly, years of experience tells us otherwise.

Well we're about to see who's right.

I'm predicting Thick Lizzy won't last a year, she has the support of less than half of Tory MPs, little over half the membership and despite the efforts of the right wing press her polling is absolutely atrocious even with Tory voters. I've never experienced a new Prime Minister be welcomed in with such a resounding 'meh'.

Oh well, at least her parents will be proud of her...

(Edited because I bollocksed up the formatting).
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@Sky hope you're right :

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Tue 06 Sep, 2022 5:53 pm What's the collective noun for a big bunch of Tories
Given today's developments I'd have to borrow a Japanese word and say a 'seppuku' of Tories.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

As a Classics graduate who has long had the hots for Natalie Haynes (despite her less than successful appearance on QT) may I just express my admiration for that splendid tweet above.

Johnson appears to have studied Classics without actually fucking learning anything. Given his previous utterings I doubt he even knows who Cincinnatus is besides the legend of his comeback and 'virtue' which was nothing of the sort. He became dictator to defend his son who with a gang of patrician thugs murderously stopped the plebeians in their efforts to gain equality through the Republic's political system.

I suppose there's always a chance Johnson's knowledge isn't as superficial as he's previously demonstrated and he know's exactly what he's saying and sending a message to his colleagues but I doubt it.

He's just a fat, lazy fraud who shambled out of power with barely anyone bothering to listen to his delusional shit anymore.

If the Tory faithful want to go for him again once Thick Lizzy has run her brief course then so be it.

Outside of their ranks he's even less popular than she is so he really would have to emulate a dictator crushing the political will of the people if he wants fancy wallpaper again.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I assume all on here will be aware of the gossip about Truss and the new Chancellor? A "brave" appointment in more than one sense.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Well I suppose if I fat shame Johnson it's only fair to slut shame Truss.

Actually no. It isn't. She can fuck who she likes and frankly, given her looks and all the rest, I think she's done pretty well for herself.

But then again, I'm not married to her.

Have we suddenly become French when affairs by conservative politicians are things to be either ignored or celebrated?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting appointment - I do wonder - since there's not a lot of woke in international trade - whether la Truss has been told that not that many people are interested in such stuff. Thankfully given her comments before, she didn't get education...

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This last weekend my brother managed to persuade me that Orbital weren't entirely shite.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Tue 06 Sep, 2022 11:38 pm Interesting appointment - I do wonder - since there's not a lot of woke in international trade - whether la Truss has been told that not that many people are interested in such stuff. Thankfully given her comments before, she didn't get education...
They're scared of her, whether we like it or not she, or someone like her, will be the face of the new Conservatives. Johnson purged any semblance of sanity and Truss is riding on the frayed coatails of old school Tory dogma.

From the Chilean constitution to abortion in the U.S the right has moved on and are fighting and winning wars that make Truss look like a particularly shit dinosaur.

They've lost the economic argument. How can anyone justify a prick like Musk being so rich? So we have the culture wars as a distraction.

A distraction certaian sections of the left are more than happy to take part in because they're too fucking stupid to realise they're being played.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »