Tuesday 27th September 2022

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 27th September 2022

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 27th September 2022

Post by tinyclanger2 »

morning
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Bonjour !

Either Reeves was deliberately lying OR Tom Peck is better at economics than she is --
Up to the lectern strode Rachel Reeves, fresh from responding to Kwasi Kwarteng’s mini-Budget on Friday. Reeves is arguably Labour’s safest pair of hands. She is, admittedly, somewhat boring, but, you know, hurrah for that. She let the mesmerised delegates know that she would be reintroducing the 45p income tax rate and, “with the money”, she’d be doubling places at medical school, creating more midwives and making sure the NHS “has the doctors that it needs”.

Look, only the decidedly ungenerous would point out that reversing a tax cut paid for by borrowing doesn’t necessarily land you with the money you need to create a whole load more NHS staff, not unless you want, like them, to borrow the money to do it.
https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/tr ... ments-area
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Not only that, but some element of public services is being paid for with that same money now, as was pointed out yesterday.

It's a good line for conference, I suppose.

Boring would be one of the kinder things I'd say about her. Along with Streeting, Phillipson and Starmer heimself, they should all take lessons from Ed M, who is decidedly more animated now than when he was leader and much better for it.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote: Tue 27 Sep, 2022 10:10 am
It's a good line for conference, I suppose.
ONLY if you ignore the fact that her nice spending list has to be paid for with NEW borrowing ... :-)
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

A steady hand at the helm ?

In other Hurricane News my sister In PR has power back on the tenth day after Fiona !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I didn't know 'disruptive' could be such an evil word !

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Reeves did what she had to do yesterday, and subjecting conference speeches to minute textual analysis is pretty pointless.

If you really want dull btw, there's always Cooper.

Given all the fuss from online centrists that she HAD to return to the front bench - has she done anything? At all??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

If you see Rosie Duffield mentioned anywhere, just remember she's lying and being a bigot

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well what he proposed would make a massive difference, and there's nothing stopping people from pushing them to do more.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

This was noticed elsewhere as well...

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

And I do wish MPs like Rupa Huq would wind their necks in for at least the period of conference. That's the sort of stuff that right wing hacks just love. Front page tomorrow guaranteed.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

For anyone who hasn't seen this yet and fancies a laugh.

Liz Truss had to be convinced to issue statement amid market turmoil after mini-budget

https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-ha ... r-12706352
Some in government are understood to see the market assault on the pound and government debt as a plot by the left, something which has surprised city traders.
This bit isn't funny though.
In effect this gives the government eight weeks to come up with a plan to stabilise the markets - likely to involve spending cuts in Whitehall, public services, investment and probably welfare.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RogerOThornhill wrote: Tue 27 Sep, 2022 6:53 pm And I do wish MPs like Rupa Huq would wind their necks in for at least the period of conference. That's the sort of stuff that right wing hacks just love. Front page tomorrow guaranteed.
Seriously, what on earth possessed her.

Though the leadership acting straight away means many people won't notice, and still fewer will care.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 27 Sep, 2022 7:20 pm For anyone who hasn't seen this yet and fancies a laugh.

Liz Truss had to be convinced to issue statement amid market turmoil after mini-budget

https://news.sky.com/story/liz-truss-ha ... r-12706352
Some in government are understood to see the market assault on the pound and government debt as a plot by the left, something which has surprised city traders.
This bit isn't funny though.
In effect this gives the government eight weeks to come up with a plan to stabilise the markets - likely to involve spending cuts in Whitehall, public services, investment and probably welfare.
According to the DT, Crispin Odey is blaming...Remainers.

:roll:
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

So he is...

Remainers are to blame for the run on the pound, claims hedge fund tycoon Crispin Odey

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... spin-odey/
The prominent hedge fund manager Crispin Odey has defended his bets against the pound, arguing that the historic rout in the wake of Kwasi Kwarteng’s tax cuts was triggered by Remainers in the City who “hate” the Government.

Mr Odey, arguably Britain’s best known hedge fund chief, told The Telegraph: “I never felt the kind of hate that Friday stirred up for a long time.

“Amongst lots of friends of mine who are Remainers, they just decided that they hate this Government. Obviously Kwasi they hate now as well, and they think Liz Truss is useless. They can't stand poor Jacob Rees-Mogg.”
And just when you thought he couldn't be a bigger arsehole...
He said: “My love is grouse shooting. And we are in the middle of [the season] right now.

“The truth is that I didn’t do anything on Friday. I shot. I haven't put a trade on for the last two months. I didn’t need to. This was easy to see from miles away and didn't depend on Kwasi coming into government or anything else.”
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Ouch.

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Prof Blanchflower should tell us what he really thinks

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Yay, Scotland promoted in the Nations League at the expense of Ukraine after a mostly dreadful 0-0 draw!

A celebratory G&T I think.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Blairites apparently whining to the right wing press that Starmer is too influenced by Ed M.

I think most of us will be OK with that tbh.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Having spent the last couple of nights occasionally perusing the comments at the Mail I think it's fair to say Truss and Kwarteng are in deep shit. It's an absolute pile on over there.

Despite government sources and repulsive pigs like Odey preposterously trying to blame lefties and remainers it's abundantly clear a sizeable chunk of Tory voters are in open revolt. Of course many of those commenters at the Mail are butthurt Boris fans, but they're the kind of people who handed the Tories their 'red wall' seats. The only meagre assets they have are their houses and if you start fucking with mortgage rates in order to hand millionaires a few extra grand it doesn't take a genius to work out these people are going to go mental.

I remember a few years ago Mark Littlewood director of the IEA was on Radio 5 arguing against a raise in the minimum wage because he claimed it would mean he took on fewer staff. A Geordie postman rang up and asked him why he didn't pay himself a little bit less as director and use that money to pay for the staff he claimed he couldn't afford. Littlewood couldn't give an answer, he got absolutely mauled by this guy and when it went to a news break he ran off. Out thought and out argued by a postal worker from Newcastle.

These puffed up Tufton Street clowns don't deal with the real world, their only job until now has been to produce propaganda for some of the worst companies and people this planet has to offer, only the most credulous of fools would ever take their advice seriously. Then along comes Liz Truss.

'She can't possibly be thick, she went to Oxford', her supporters argue, as if all of us don't know idiots with degrees. And it really does take a special kind of idiot to borrow money to fund tax cuts for millionaires in the middle of an inflationary cost of living crisis and expect everyone to be delighted. Especially if it involves a game of chicken with the Bank of England while crashing the national currency.

Who knows, maybe it will work. Maybe we're all just hysterical lefty remainers and the people who spent years helping tobacco and oil companies lie to the public have been right all along. They better hope so because this is their moment, finally they have their chance to prove their superior intellect. The fact that it all seems to have spectacularly gone to shit at its first contact with reality is surely just a blip and who cares if poor people suffer, even if they vote Tory.

Well the Mail readers do, and if their comments are anything to go by it's little wonder we're seeing polls with the Tories slumping well below the 30% of dickheads who kept faith during Johnson's reign of depravity.

Rant over.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Also I see little here about Starmer's speech today. After catching the second half of it I'm not surprised.

Making brexit work for all of us whether we voted leave or remain? Fuck right off.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Heh.

SARAH VINE: Put people's homes at risk and it's game over for the Tories... Do not threaten an Englishman's castle is the first rule of British politics.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/arti ... ories.html
Across the land, ordinary, hard-working people, the kind of people who budget and save in order to put a roof over their heads — in other words, loyal Tory voters — are beside themselves with worry. And that is not good. It’s the very last thing the party needs right now. After the turmoil of the past few months, this Conservative administration should be shoring up those voters, making their lives easier — not causing them sleepless nights that risk sending them straight into the arms of Keir Starmer.

Even Dan Hodges seems to realise things have gone a bit wrong.