Thursday 23rd March 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Thursday 23rd March 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Thursday 23rd March 2023

Post by refitman »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit , I was just looking at those .
Chose this one that should resonate with more people

Only watched the odd clip, some of it did appear low-key and even nit-picking, but it certainly got under his skin !
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

From the G business blog
Ellie Henderson, economist at Investec, explains:

When deciding the appropriate level of the Bank rate the MPC will have to assess which is the lesser of two evils: the risk of inflation being higher for longer or the current threat to financial stability stemming from the rapidly evolving fears of a banking crisis.
Except that putting up interest rates will almost certainly 1. have no effect on inflation and 2. damage the economy further.
How do they manage to convince themselves current inflation is caused by excess demand? Just look around guys.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Slow as a sloth is actually more like it :D
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

@gilsey

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Fucks sake. Surely the lowest bar of being Labour leader is to not quote Thatcher ina positive light

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

If he wins with a significant majority we'll never get rid of him. AK thinks they won't be so bad in office, wish I shared his optimism.

Would much prefer chaos with Ed Miliband.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

gilsey wrote: Thu 23 Mar, 2023 1:58 pm If he wins with a significant majority we'll never get rid of him. AK thinks they won't be so bad in office, wish I shared his optimism.

Would much prefer chaos with Ed Miliband.
He's gonna make Blair look like a cross between Marx and Castro.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

I wouldn't go that far :D
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

As usual, the source there is not exactly the most unbiased is it?

I continue to think Starmer as PM won't be as bad as some think, simply because the circumstances of his coming to power will demand as much.

It is interesting to see so many on the left becoming totally fixated on "leadership" (as the centrists they claim to despise have long been) and undervaluing wider objective forces. Blair took power when the broadly right-wing consensus post-1979 was still very much operative, this is rather less the case now.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

To be fair the stench of skunk cannabis can be a nightmare to deal with, especially in communal buildings. I know CitizenJA (wherever she may be) had serious problems with the constant stink from her neighbours which made her feel ill. Even as an occasional mild weed smoker I can't stand the smell of skunk. If someone's doing something which affects your quality of life and they refuse to do anything about it (like keep their windows closed) I'd say that was pretty antisocial.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 23 Mar, 2023 2:52 pm As usual, the source there is not exactly the most unbiased is it?

I continue to think Starmer as PM won't be as bad as some think, simply because the circumstances of his coming to power will demand as much.

It is interesting to see so many on the left becoming totally fixated on "leadership" (as the centrists they claim to despise have long been) and undervaluing wider objective forces. Blair took power when the broadly right-wing consensus post-1979 was still very much operative, this is rather less the case now.
Sorry, the source is the video of Starmer doing the thing. It's not a report, of a report, of a tweet.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

:D

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh, the Starmer / Thatcher thing has just gotten soooooo much worse

If this was Corbyn or Miliband, they would be fucking crucified over this (although I doubt they would have been so fucking stupid).
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Yay, it's Andrew '6 chip twat' Bowie!

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

refitman wrote: Thu 23 Mar, 2023 5:28 pm

Sorry, the source is the video of Starmer doing the thing. It's not a report, of a report, of a tweet.
I know, the issue is the spin that you and they are putting upon them.

In the real world, most people find SKS an inoffensive middle of the road sort.

There are reasons for that.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Labour are throwing trans people in the bin too

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 23 Mar, 2023 6:16 pm
refitman wrote: Thu 23 Mar, 2023 5:28 pm

I know, the issue is the spin that you and they are putting upon them.

In the real world, most people find SKS an inoffensive middle of the road sort.

There are reasons for that.
He doesn't seem to be appealing to these undecided voters

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Labour are doing the same thing as the supposedly wonderful lefty SNP as far as trans people are concerned.

Oh and Times Radio do a "swing voters all hate Starmer" shock horror focus group thing every other week.

Laughable in itself, and still more so that people like you believe them.

Focus groups are just about the easiest thing to manipulate in the world.

(remember the one during the 2017 GE which claimed students didn't like Labour's tuition fees policy?)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Thu 23 Mar, 2023 7:05 pm Labour are doing the same thing as the supposedly wonderful lefty SNP as far as trans people are concerned.

Oh and Times Radio do a "swing voters all hate Starmer" shock horror focus group thing every other week.

Laughable in itself, and still more so that people like you believe them.

Focus groups are just about the easiest thing to manipulate in the world.

(remember the one during the 2017 GE which claimed students didn't like Labour's tuition fees policy?)
The SNP tried to pass the GRR bill. Starmer had previously pledged to do something similar. Then when the UK Gov invoked powers to stop the bill passing, Labour backed the Gov and Starmer is saying he will continue working to prevent trans people from being able to have their chosen gender recognised on marriage and death certs (this is all it does, it has no impact on who can use what toilet).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

I know what the SNP tried to do - the point is that they have now retreated on that and are having a "rethink", just like Labour.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

That's only happening because the UK Gov took the extraordinary step of blocking it. Also, they've got a religious wingnut running for leader.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I'm posting this to inform anyone interested where Andrew Bowie got his nickname from.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well if anything the other female candidate is even more anti-trans than Forbes (big mate of Joanna Cherry's)
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Audience member on QT in the red wall seat of Newcastle Under Lyme, "I didn't vote for Boris Johnson, I voted to keep Jeremy Corbyn out".

Say what you like about Starmer, and I'm no fan of him myself, but that audience member, whether you like it or not, represents how thousands felt across the North of this country at the last GE. Focus groups are all well and good but let's not forget what happened at the last election.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Thu 23 Mar, 2023 8:17 pm I'm posting this to inform anyone interested where Andrew Bowie got his nickname from.
Cheers, I didn't know that.

"Tories can't even be trusted with fish and chips. I hate them"
:lol!:
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

QT came to you tonight from Newcastle Under Lyme. If the audience are anything to go by it's a very quiet place where people shun expressing their levels of approval as they sat for most of the night in complete silence. Maybe they just thought everyone on the panel was shit.

For the Tories we had Andrew 'six chips twat' Bowie (I'm sorry, I will never not find that funny). Apparently Andrew is our Nuclear Minister and while he didn't have a meltdown this evening he won't be getting any glowing reviews. Especially not from the fellow who told him that if he couldn't answer the question he should 'shut his gob'. The best that could be said for Andrew was that he stuck to his brief regardless of what he was asked or how many times he was asked it. Repeated enquires about Boris Johnson and his political future fell on stony ground. Andrew steadfastly declined to answer while sticking his tongue as far as it would go up Rishi Sunak's backside. His finest moment however came when he claimed that crime in this country has decreased by 50%. WTF? Thought I. Until another panellist Howard Davies and even Fiona Bruce pointed out that said figure discounted fraud. The most commonplace crime in the country. When his ironically fraudulent use of statistics was pointed out to him Andrew merely stared blankly ahead and said nothing as if he hadn't just been made to look like a twat again and if he ignored it it would go away.

For Labour we had Louise Haigh. I actually thought Louise did alright for the most part despite the weird disquieting audience not giving her any appreciation. At least they didn't tell her to shut her gob. She said all the right things about Johnson and as an ex police support officer with the Met she had some interesting/disturbing things to say about her experiences with our boys in blue. Unfortunately she then ruined it all when talking about the cost of living crisis by agreeing with the ex political editor of the fucking Sun newspaper that by 'making Brexit work' we would be able to bring down food prices. Sigh.

For sensible people we had Howard Davies chairman of NatWest. Last time Howard was on he was the star of the show and he did it again. He explained what it was like working with Johnson when he was Mayor of London as he had done. He would talk to Johnson one day and then Johnson would lie about it in the media the next. He pointed out it's all well and good to experience the effects of Johnson's lies vicariously but when it happens to you personally it really pisses you off. He provided a soberly gloomy prognosis of our economic woes and called for the Met police to be broken up into its constituent parts. Given the crap I'm currently dealing with from my own incompetent bank he's a good advert for NatWest, although a brief look at their reviews leads me to recoil in horror.

For Talk TV we had Tom Newton Dunn. How the mighty have fallen. Tom went from political editor of The Sun to Talk TV. One can only assume he was drunk on the perception of his own power and genius and imagined millions would be hanging on his every word. What's actually happened is his show has become infamous for attracting zero viewers. And I can understand why because I can barely remember a single thing he said besides the above mentioned ludicrous claim that if we make Brexit work food will get cheaper and our supply chain problems are because we're an island. Fuck off, I can't remember spending weeks without tomatoes when we were in the EU. But as I say Louise agreed with him.

For Vice UK we had Zing Tsjeng. Zing was great. How could anyone called Zing not be great? She offered a left wing liberal perspective to a silent, stony faced, weird audience without becoming paranoid as I would have done. She ploughed on undisturbed while I would have been checking where the exits were. She told them that despite their hardships poorer countries are having to make bigger sacrifices so maybe, just maybe we should pay a historical debt given the damage we've already done. She was met with a curious stillness. With Lovecraftian overtones.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Not holding my breath, for any kind of sanction against Duffield