Tuesday 4th April 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 4th April 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
frog222
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 4th April 2023

Post by frog222 »

Anticapitalist idiot rampant :-)

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Oh dear , involuntary laugh here .
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Said "regulator" just happens to be a card carrying Tory - surprised?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Third up Australia

I have a horrible feeling that Australia's Voyager might garner a fair few votes with their nonsensical "Promise". The very cross-looking singer reminds me of a certain Professor (Leeds Uni circa 1980) whom a fellow student once described as "bald with long hair". It's an equally apt description of both of these men, and yet describes such very different layouts of a) baldness and b) hair.

Apart from that Voyager presents a motely collection of facial hair, man-buns, rolled-up jacket sleeves and general prancing about. There's a background of Australian landscapes, accompanied by a kind of banal Pink Floyd-OMD-Lordy-Boyzone kind of a sound. They also use the words "Cross my heart til the sky turns red" at least twice.

Clanger rating:
Was it fun? In a ghoulish-fascination kind of a way
Was it dancey? More prancey than dancey
What would Terry have said about it? I suspect he would have made reference to the lead lad's haircut.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Enjoying these tc2, don't stop. How many did you say there were?
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

He's got a sort of early Human League Phil Oakey thing going on but without the gender bending so it just looks naff. Still better than the drummer's man bun though.

To my eternal shame I must admit that I did briefly sport a top knot because I actually was going bald with long hair and was attempting to obscure the fact. The entirely justified ridicule I endured prompted my transition to a shaved head and I haven't regretted it since. Apart from stupidly not realising that without hair the top of your head burns really easily in the sun. That really hurt and when it began to peel I looked like I had some sort of tropical disease. Fortunately I went on to discover that someone had invented hats.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

I see Jenrick has been fined and banned from driving for 6 months for speeding. His defence being...
“I was driving below the national speed limit on an empty motorway, with no road works in sight. I now understand that a variable speed limit had been applied, which I didn’t see. I wouldn’t knowingly exceed the speed limit.”
Yeah right, so he wants us to believe he didn't see any of the gantries spanning the motorway with big signs in bright lights telling him to slow down, because if that's the case he shouldn't be driving at all. If there'd been an accident ahead he could have ploughed into emergency workers. What an absolute prick.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

He's truly a gift that keeps on "giving".
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 04 Apr, 2023 6:38 pm He's got a sort of early Human League Phil Oakey thing going on but without the gender bending so it just looks naff. Still better than the drummer's man bun though.

To my eternal shame I must admit that I did briefly sport a top knot because I actually was going bald with long hair and was attempting to obscure the fact. The entirely justified ridicule I endured prompted my transition to a shaved head and I haven't regretted it since. Apart from stupidly not realising that without hair the top of your head burns really easily in the sun. That really hurt and when it began to peel I looked like I had some sort of tropical disease. Fortunately I went on to discover that someone had invented hats.
Cool.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

gilsey wrote: Tue 04 Apr, 2023 4:21 pm Enjoying these tc2, don't stop. How many did you say there were?
(looks modestly down). There are Many of these yet to go.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It's always the 80s in Clangerworld

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Coincidentally I once played the wall in a Midsummer Night's dream at school.
Such was the extent of my acting abilities.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I beg your pardon. Occasionally it;s the 70's.

tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:dance: :dance: :dance:
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

In amongst all of the "Oh, wasn't he just brilliant" there have been a few "Er...hang on..."

Lawson was incredibly lucky (like Howe) in having the income from North Sea oil coming in, and incredibly risky - Big Bang and the late 80s boom.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Would any clever cnuts around here predict the consequences of a yet unknown SARS Variant --

Some things nobody knows, BUT some are knowlable given access to data ...

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 04 Apr, 2023 6:57 pm I see Jenrick has been fined and banned from driving for 6 months for speeding. His defence being...
“I was driving below the national speed limit on an empty motorway, with no road works in sight. I now understand that a variable speed limit had been applied, which I didn’t see. I wouldn’t knowingly exceed the speed limit.”
Yeah right, so he wants us to believe he didn't see any of the gantries spanning the motorway with big signs in bright lights telling him to slow down, because if that's the case he shouldn't be driving at all. If there'd been an accident ahead he could have ploughed into emergency workers. What an absolute prick.
He also admitted there's no legal route for asylum seekers into the UK

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

tinyclanger2 wrote: Tue 04 Apr, 2023 7:30 pm Coincidentally I once played the wall in a Midsummer Night's dream at school.
Such was the extent of my acting abilities.
I can't remember what the school play was but me and my friend Matthew had to shoot each other. I used my dad's old air rifle but he brought in an actual shotgun and was allowed to shoot me with real cartridges with the shot removed. Except on the evening of our performance he missed a pellet while cleaning out the cartridge and I still have a scar from being shot in the arm at point blank range live on stage. I had to lie still pretending to be dead despite being in considerable pain.

Those were the days, none of your health safety nonsense. Everyone had a good laugh and my parents didn't even complain to the school. Even I didn't mind because I got attention and sympathy from the girls in the cast. Getting the pellet removed wasn't much fun though.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Not long after that I came home drunk after an orienteering trip. Our teacher, Mr Hill, decided to stop off at the Black Bull pub in a little village called Lowick and bought us all two or three halves of Guinness while getting pissed himself before getting back in the van and driving us home. I was 12. Once again as far as I'm aware nobody complained to the school. He was still in his job when I left 6 years later.

That would have been 1983 so it would be fair to say society was still under the malign influence of those who'd grown up during the decadent 60's.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Trump in an email to his supporters...
“While we are living through the darkest hours of American history, I can say that at least for this moment right now, I am in great spirits.”
Yeah dude, you being prosecuted for falsifying business records is definitely way darker than, say, a civil war that killed over half a million people.

Say what you like about Johnson but at least he didn't try to claim his appearance in front of the select committee was worse than the black death.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

refitman wrote: Tue 04 Apr, 2023 8:33 pm He also admitted there's no legal route for asylum seekers into the UK
He can say that until he's blue in the face but the the UNHCR refugee convention to which we are a signatory says otherwise. There's no such thing as a legal route because under the convention anyone who arrives here can legaly claim asylum. Safe routes are another matter.

The bigger problem is them deliberately halting the processing of asylum claims, presumably to intentionally create a crisis which they'll claim only they can solve at the next GE.

They'll happily make tens of thousands of desperate people suffer just to cling to power and god knows what the Labour party will say about it. I guess it depends on whatever they've heard from their focus groups that week.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

While I'm on a roll could I add my voice to that of Gilsey and encourage TC to continue their excellent Eurovision review odyssey.

Albania.
the kind of music that used to make me want to dance on Greek buses.
I'd love to know what Greek buses you've been on TC. I've been on a few but never felt like dancing, quite the opposite. But to be fair to Greek buses that was the fault of Australian backpackers keeping me up all night in hostels. Always fucking Australians. May dingos eat their babies.

Armenia.
I tried to give it the full benefit of the doubt, but in all honesty had to stop viewing half way through in the interests of my mental health.
She ended up levitating in a skimpy outfit made out of straps as if a pervy Armenian David Copperfield was behind the curtain.

As for the glorious Lene Lovich.

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

We all know Shaddap your Face stopped Vienna getting to Number one.

Less famously who do you think kept Kim Wilde away from that vaunted spot?

Let's just say he trembles and appreciates the history of dilapidated buildings.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »