Tuesday 18th July 2023

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Tuesday 18th July 2023

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday 18th July 2023

Post by refitman »

Ha!
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Morning refit
" “IPPR analysis for GMB found that for every pound spent on public-sector pay, more than 40p is returned to the Treasury in wages tax and lower social security payments. "
(They suggest a 10.5% rise.)

A bit of elementary economix ;-)

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

I liked the comment below the refit clip,

(didn't know Gove&Co's Free Schools cost twice as much, but it's completely believable as they spray ££'s around like there's no tomorrow ..)

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

And Newsnight.

One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Haven't heard anyone point out that backheeling on the Green policies in the first couple of years creates rather a large space in Rachel's budget for a couple of modest anti-poverty measures, I'm thinking of the overall benefit cap as well.

Surely by year 3 some of that 'fastest growth in the G7' will be coming along.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Good morning.

What we need is Miriam 'mad as a box of frogs' Cates having her say on universities said no-one ever.

If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Oh, for fucks sake🤬🤬🤬
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Tue 18 Jul, 2023 11:47 am What we need is Miriam 'mad as a box of frogs' Cates having her say on universities said no-one ever.
I gave it a read and it was quite extraordinary. She bemoans the lack of graduate level jobs for graduates. So is her solution to provide better jobs? Of course not, she wants to limit the level of education people can receive.

Because you see “elite overproduction” breeds resentment and leads people to adopt “high status” left wing political views which Miriam lies about or dismisses out of hand as nonsense. She claims critical race theory says white people are all racist for instance.

We all know what this is about, the only two demographics which still vote majority Tory are pensioners and people without any further education. It's absolutely clear that currently the more education people receive the more likely they are to hold left wing views*. Conservative MPs and commentators can't openly admit this embarrassing truth out loud so we end up with Miriam offering the solution of making the next generation dumber so they'll be happier (to vote Tory).

*This hasn't always been the case though, up until 2015 graduates split about 50/50 in their political allegiances, then along came Brexit which caused a massive shift to the left, so the Tories have nobody to blame but themselves.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

This is quite funny...especially when you get Trumpites saying "He was allowed to keep records..."

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Wow -- they really are at the bottom of the barrrel !

TWO ports refused them , be interesting to know more on that --

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 18 Jul, 2023 2:44 pm
RogerOThornhill wrote: Tue 18 Jul, 2023 11:47 am What we need is Miriam 'mad as a box of frogs' Cates having her say on universities said no-one ever.
I gave it a read and it was quite extraordinary. She bemoans the lack of graduate level jobs for graduates. So is her solution to provide better jobs? Of course not, she wants to limit the level of education people can receive.

Because you see “elite overproduction” breeds resentment and leads people to adopt “high status” left wing political views which Miriam lies about or dismisses out of hand as nonsense. She claims critical race theory says white people are all racist for instance.

We all know what this is about, the only two demographics which still vote majority Tory are pensioners and people without any further education. It's absolutely clear that currently the more education people receive the more likely they are to hold left wing views*. Conservative MPs and commentators can't openly admit this embarrassing truth out loud so we end up with Miriam offering the solution of making the next generation dumber so they'll be happier (to vote Tory).

*This hasn't always been the case though, up until 2015 graduates split about 50/50 in their political allegiances, then along came Brexit which caused a massive shift to the left, so the Tories have nobody to blame but themselves.
I can remember when most teachers voted Tory. And doctors.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

For those who can't view the full tweet she's addressing it to a certain Mr Dan Wootton who currently has many, many skeletons tumbling from his closet.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

And maybe the significant thing about the Powell clip is that she isn't defending the new line on its "merits".

(nobody has done that, save for a few anonymous "Labour staffers" who think they are real life Malcolm Tuckers)
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Telegraph writer want Government to legislate to force a private sector company to deal with someone? That's rather funny...and the bit about calling Farage a 'disingenuous grifter'...well they got that right.

AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its a very partial headline anyway, that was one of several reasons apparently.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 18 Jul, 2023 5:15 pm And maybe the significant thing about the Powell clip is that she isn't defending the new line on its "merits".

(nobody has done that, save for a few anonymous "Labour staffers" who think they are real life Malcolm Tuckers)
Powell is using the phrase in the same way Osborne and Cameron did - as an excuse to pursue further austerity.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

She's using it as a (poor) reason to "excuse" the policy.

Besides, if the Tories actually have left things in a really bad state Labour shouldn't be shy of pointing that out. Each and every day, indeed.

As post-2010 showed, that's how it really sinks into the public consciousness.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Think GB News may regret their coverage on Huw Edwards...and he's even on the channel tonight.

refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote: Tue 18 Jul, 2023 8:13 pm She's using it as a (poor) reason to "excuse" the policy.

Besides, if the Tories actually have left things in a really bad state Labour shouldn't be shy of pointing that out. Each and every day, indeed.

As post-2010 showed, that's how it really sinks into the public consciousness.
You can't cut your way to growth - and certainly not by cutting the few benefits that the very poorest in society have. The last 13+ years have shown you can't do that. The ENTIRE Tory philosophy has been "well we just need to find the one bit of the State we can cut a bit more, then everything will magically turn around". It's economically illiterate.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

About time the Guardian showed up to the party, better late than never but it's a pretty weak article, presumably as a result of legal advice.

Understandable I guess as they won't have access to the Byline Times' sources, of which it would appear there are many. Which would indicate that either Wootton is the victim of a conspiracy involving many of his ex-colleagues and lovers, or he is a sleazy, manipulative piece of shit who was attempting to get sexually compromising material in order to further his career through blackmail.

The only other explanations are that Wootton is an extremely generous and shy voyeur who was offering men thousands of pounds for dick pics using a pseudonym completely innocently, or that his accusers are all under the power of an evil left wing hypnotist.

What is certain is that this is really funny, genuinely disturbing, and opens a window onto a very dark and sordid world.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

As for the utterly depressing furore around Labour and the two child limit. I mean there's managing expectations and then there's actively lowering people's expectations so far they see absolutely no point in voting for you. If the Tories weren't a half dead shambling mess what would be the point of voting Labour? What are they offering? To be not quite as bad as a government which resembles racist roadkill?

It's thoroughly dispiriting and I can only guess what it feels like for those volunteers and activists having to sell this shit on the doorstep.

"Hi there, I'm here to encourage you to vote Labour!"

"Go on then."

"We're not going to undo any of the Tory damage of the last 13 years because that would take up too much precious legislative time, we will also not use that time to do anything to improve your life if it costs any money."

"I see."

"In addition, if you are concerned about the environment or climate change we will mock you and call you arrogant while reneging on previous promises and commitments."

"You're losing me."

"I see you're on benefits, you'll be happy to hear our proposals are so ill conceived, ignorant and callous that they've been copied by the government and we've come round to understanding that every third child should starve because that's what happens with birds on Springwatch."

"If you don't leave I'm going to hit you with this brick."
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

Another self own from my brexiteer landlord today.

He was complaining that he went to a pub in Dewsbury last Friday and as he and his buddies tried to get a pint the landlady told them she was closing, at 8 o'clock at night.

Why?

Not enough staff. Apparently she'd been on her own all day and was knackered. She told him the staff she had now were unreliable because they were either working second or third jobs or were on UC so wouldn't work more than 16 hours a week.

Guess what I said to him.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote: Tue 18 Jul, 2023 10:49 pm About time the Guardian showed up to the party, better late than never but it's a pretty weak article, presumably as a result of legal advice.

Understandable I guess as they won't have access to the Byline Times' sources, of which it would appear there are many. Which would indicate that either Wootton is the victim of a conspiracy involving many of his ex-colleagues and lovers, or he is a sleazy, manipulative piece of shit who was attempting to get sexually compromising material in order to further his career through blackmail.

The only other explanations are that Wootton is an extremely generous and shy voyeur who was offering men thousands of pounds for dick pics using a pseudonym completely innocently, or that his accusers are all under the power of an evil left wing hypnotist.

What is certain is that this is really funny, genuinely disturbing, and opens a window onto a very dark and sordid world.
Although the Graun article does say that they've been speaking to people for three years about this. If they've been sitting on information, particularly after Rusbridger's campaigns over phone hacking etc, that will look pretty bad for them.