Friday 24th May 2024

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Friday 24th May 2024

Post by RogerOThornhill »

1st up? Now this is a rare event.

Good morning.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
refitman
Site Admin

Re: Friday 24th May 2024

Post by refitman »

Per Sky's review last night
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Pretty sure he's gonna walk it. Labour will be on a hiding to nothing, standing against him
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

RogerOThornhill wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 8:39 am 1st up? Now this is a rare event.

Good morning
I went back to bed, not wanting to monopolise and thinking refit would be along soon ! :-)

That was an excellent QT Report !
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 8:44 am Per Sky's review last night
This bit was a killer, well one of them --
in response Bridget said we had to keep the UK attractive to business, guess which reply went down better in a city where Amazon workers are on strike?
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Thanks to sky for the QT review, and refit for the clip of that poor chap speaking for many of us.

sky wrote
I have some sympathy for Labour's position, without 'seeing the books' they've absolutely no idea what's possible
I have no sympathy for them at all. They're pinning it all on economic growth, there are only 2 ways that could happen and they've ruled them both out. If they want the private sector to generate growth then it's rejoin the single market at least, if that's ruled out then it's what we used to call pump-priming with public expenditure. A rod for their own backs.

The most frustrating part of the programme to me was the ridiculous 'discussion' about water, Bruce demanding to know where the billions of investment money was going to come from and not one of the politicians prepared to break the consensus by telling the truth. You borrow it, just as a company would if it wanted to build a new factory or a supermarket, and the customers are on the hook for the interest and a return on the money, not the f****** capital you useless neoliberal t***s.

Pardon my french.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Wiki tells me the EA has a huge range of tasks and the news tells me it is failing on very many of them --

Confession of failure by the boss man --
Duffy said: “I see these letters and these FOI requests and I’ve got great volumes of them, and I see local officers going through quite a contorted processes to not to answer when they know, often, the answer but it’s embarrassing.

“They do it because they are frightened. They are worried about revealing the true state of what’s going on, they’re worried about reaction from NGOs and others, and possibly from the government, about the facts of the situation. And they’re often working at a local level but in a very nationally charged political environment, which is very difficult for them.”

Duffy suggested nature charities were asking questions in a manner that made it harder for Environment Agency staff to respond: “I think the first step there is to understand how hard that is for many of my staff, when they’re faced with often very expert NGOs who are asking very good questions – the right questions ultimately – but [it’s about] how they lower that tone a bit, and manage it.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... n-requests

Truss's 'efficiency savings' --
Liz Truss ‘has sewage on her hands’ over Environment Agency cuts

Exclusive: Truss oversaw cut in funds to tackle water pollution, since when raw sewage discharge has risen
Environment Agency insiders said that after Truss’s cuts, staff were moved away from environmental monitoring towards flood protection, and the number of samples taken from rivers went down dramatically.

Vaughan Lewis, a senior consultant for the agency, told the Guardian: “They plummeted to the point it was impossible for the Environment Agency to know what’s going on. They had no control or monitoring capability that was meaningful. They ceded the control of monitoring to water companies, which ended up being able to mark their own homework. They take their own samples and assess whether they are being compliant.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -pollution

Tories were business-friendly towards industrial agricultural and Water Company pollution, will Starmerism be any different?
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

refitman wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 8:44 am Pretty sure he's gonna walk it. Labour will be on a hiding to nothing, standing against him
Well, at least the Labour leadership's decision has got the Zionist endorsment.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 10:58 am Wiki tells me the EA has a huge range of tasks and the news tells me it is failing on very many of them --

Underfunded since 2010 that's all, like everything else.

Won't improve under Labour unless they spend some money on it. see above.
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

refitman wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 11:07 am
refitman wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 8:44 am Pretty sure he's gonna walk it. Labour will be on a hiding to nothing, standing against him
Well, at least the Labour leadership's decision has got the Zionist endorsment.
The worldwide Zionist Movement is getting uglier and uglier--
On the night of 30 April, a large group from the pro-Israel camp, many of them wearing Halloween masks, violently attacked the pro-Palestinian encampment. They brought “knives, bats, wooden planks, pepper spray and bear mace”, according to one witness, and proceeded to beat the anti-genocide protesters, pushing many into the ground using barricades. The police, whom UCLA had summoned to campus to help maintain order, stood by and allowed the attack to continue for hours. They seem to have assessed, correctly, what they were there to protect, and who they weren’t.

At the hearing on Thursday, the Republicans went to extensive lengths to criticize universities that have engaged in negotiations with their student protest encampments, calling these talks “capitulation” to “pro-terror” and “pro-Hamas” forces.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ian-rights
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

Fat finger pre EDIT

Have a smug fu**er !

Last edited by frog222 on Fri 24 May, 2024 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Why am I not shocked in the slightest?
frog222
Prime Minister

Post by frog222 »

gilsey wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 11:47 am
frog222 wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 10:58 am Wiki tells me the EA has a huge range of tasks and the news tells me it is failing on very many of them --
Underfunded since 2010 that's all, like everything else.

Won't improve under Labour unless they spend some money on it. see above.
Yep, was thinking much the same ...
It is tax smoothing that justifies allowing debt or reserves to rise substantially during periods of unusually high spending. However note that the higher government spending that justifies a high deficit is temporary. If it was permanent, tax smoothing would not apply, and taxes would need to rise in line with government spending, with no increase in the deficit. Even if the expenditure has long lasting benefits, such as better education for example, that doesn’t imply it should be funded by borrowing or money creation if that higher spending is permanent. (This abstracts from Keynesian arguments, which we consider below.)
https://mainlymacro.blogspot.com/2024/0 ... eases.html

Tory destruction of public services from the EA (above) to reducing the numbers and quality of the HMRC staff has by attrition reduced the budgets available, so to get back to where we were needs new ongoing regular revenue,

IE taxing the £££££££££'s where they are -- Amazon and the Duke of Westminster, et al !
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

frog222 wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 12:20 pm
IE taxing the £££££££££'s where they are -- Amazon and the Duke of Westminster, et al !
That's something else Labour have ruled out. They're determined to box themselves in.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

gilsey wrote: Fri 24 May, 2024 10:24 am sky wrote
I have some sympathy for Labour's position, without 'seeing the books' they've absolutely no idea what's possible
I have no sympathy for them at all. They're pinning it all on economic growth, there are only 2 ways that could happen and they've ruled them both out. If they want the private sector to generate growth then it's rejoin the single market at least, if that's ruled out then it's what we used to call pump-priming with public expenditure. A rod for their own backs.
I'm going to blame the cheap Chilean Merlot for making me overly generous because I can't disagree with any of that.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Except that if and when Labour are in power, they will find ways of doing things. I know that people are incredibly cynical at the moment, but as Chris Dillow has repeatedly pointed out (to little avail, it seem) their incentives in government will be markedly different to what they are in opposition.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

The treatment of Abbott has been pretty terrible and, if this is true, makes it look even worse. The leadership/NEC are properly terrible.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Pob and Spock are legging it

Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This is beginning to piss me off. So many of the cowards are cutting and running we're going to be denied a lot of the joy we deserve on election night.

I don't want to see some disappointed nobodies looking sad, I want to see Gove having a coke fuelled tantrum and Redwood in tears.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

Hear hear.
Sky'sGoneOut
Prime Minister

Post by Sky'sGoneOut »

This passed me by yesterday and is something to celebrate, the government's Orwellian plan to spy on the bank accounts of millions of people has been scuppered due to Sunak calling the election and the Lords refusing to fast track it.

Of course we'll have to see if Labour try and revive it, I wouldn't put it past them.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I would be......surprised. If only because we are likely to get a sizeable intake of MPs who understand social media (for good or ill) much better.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"