Monday 26th January 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Monday 26th January 2015

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

WelshIan wrote:
David Cameron: include Northern Ireland parties too in TV debates
PM says good progress has been made in debate negotiations but questions why Northern Ireland parties are missing out
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tv-debates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FFS Dave, just say you don't want to do the debates and have done with it.
Gordon Brown would have been crucified for all the evading our supremely lightweight PM has got away with.
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

PorFavor wrote:Good afternoon.
David Cameron detected phone hoax when caller apologised for waking him
PM said no harm was done and no national security was breached by caller pretending to be GCHQ director

[David Cameron said] “So I quite rapidly asked who is this, to which the answer came it is a hoax call and so I pressed the red button on the Blackberry which ended the call. That is what happened. (Guardian - my emphasis)
No flies on Dave.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -call-gchq
I'm glad he told us how to end a mobile call, too. I never knew how to do that.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Morning all.
Caroline Flint ‏@CarolineFlintMP · 2m2 minutes ago
“@corin_ja: Welcome article on #fracking but a "new, indigenous source of gas" could be biogas http://gu.com/p/457dd/stw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; >an area I will review
Interesting tweet from Caroline I thought. My understanding is that Labour will be voting against fracking today, unless they can have very strict environmental safeguards written into the Bill; not that it will delay proceedings, because Clegg's mob will just wave it through, but it does make clear (along with the biogas remark) that Labour are not wedded to fracking & are looking at friendlier alternatives. Shout that one from the rooftops and you'll start to erode the 'Surge'.
Pretty sure I saw a Tweet earlier [it may even have been her] that said Labour were voting against....But don't quote me. :D
Cue articles in the MSM about how Labour are only voting against fracking because of their fear of the Greens, move to the extreme left etc.

Afternoon all
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Who is advising Hamface this ever more desperate dodging of the debates is a good idea?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Who is advising Hamface this ever more desperate dodging of the debates is a good idea?
The Pub Landlord?
Working on the wild side.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
WelshIan wrote:
David Cameron: include Northern Ireland parties too in TV debates
PM says good progress has been made in debate negotiations but questions why Northern Ireland parties are missing out
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... tv-debates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FFS Dave, just say you don't want to do the debates and have done with it.
Gordon Brown would have been crucified for all the evading our supremely lightweight PM has got away with.
I've just had a 'discussion' with the Sparrow on Twitter, who was openly admiring OGRFPG's performance this morning, citing it as "a masterclass in flannel"; I doubt, as you suggest, whether he would have been so complimentary of Gordon Brown.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Fabricant ‏@Mike_Fabricant 14m14 minutes ago
Greek singer Demis Roussos has died. Seared in my memory is Alison Steadman as the ghastly Beverly in 'Abigail's Party' dancing to 'Denis'.
Same here Mr Fabricant. Also can't look at a kaftan without seeing and hearing it.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

danesclose wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Morning all.
Interesting tweet from Caroline I thought. My understanding is that Labour will be voting against fracking today, unless they can have very strict environmental safeguards written into the Bill; not that it will delay proceedings, because Clegg's mob will just wave it through, but it does make clear (along with the biogas remark) that Labour are not wedded to fracking & are looking at friendlier alternatives. Shout that one from the rooftops and you'll start to erode the 'Surge'.
Pretty sure I saw a Tweet earlier [it may even have been her] that said Labour were voting against....But don't quote me. :D
Cue articles in the MSM about how Labour are only voting against fracking because of their fear of the Greens, move to the extreme left etc.

Afternoon all
Had that on Twitter earlier, shot that particular fox with great ease. :)
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

The Evening Standard reckons Labour could win nine seats in London, with the Conservatives picking up just once consolation prize from the decaying Fibs (though the headline says eight for some reason).

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 02698.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Casualties include Lynnne Fethearstone, Simon Hughes and Nick De Bleeuurg.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Tish wrote:The Evening Standard reckons Labour could win nine seats in London, with the Conservatives picking up just once consolation prize from the decaying Fibs (though the headline says eight for some reason).

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 02698.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't buy their reasoning on Sutton and Cheam, most of the constituency isn't fertile Green territory; if anything I could see UKIP making some ground there, which can only help Burstow.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tish wrote:The Evening Standard reckons Labour could win nine seats in London, with the Conservatives picking up just once consolation prize from the decaying Fibs (though the headline says eight for some reason).

Simon Hughes .... majority of 8,000 ish ... wouldn't that be something. One of the sanctimonious hypocrites I'd really like to see go.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Norman Smith has just Tweeted that Cameron is "flagging up" that the Northern Irish parties have not been included in the proposals for the general election debates.......what's the betting OGRFG will use this as yet another "reason" to avoid doing them?

Re. Citizens Income/Living Wage -

Any movement anywhere towards a Living Wage is to be welcomed, and I'd like to see more of it.
Some people come off in-work benefits, and some pay a bit of tax and NI, and that has to be good.
But unless living costs (especially housing costs) are not controlled, the chances are that it won't make a huge difference; plus there needs to be action to cut the more regressive taxes like VAT which takes a sizeable chunk out of low incomes.

I still think that we should consider moving towards a CI. I think it is do-able in the longer term.
(my bold)
Agree with your entire post - the ONS is a fine organisation, I think, but it's difficult to get a handle on an algorithm or value the ONS uses to provide the us with the 'rate of inflation'. Below the line on the G & other news threads, someone will inevitably tell the thread we don't know what we're talking about when we justly raise the question about how rent, house prices are factored into inflation values. I've not yet seen an all-in-one ONS report of The Cost of Living in the UK, the median wage in the UK & Look At How Much Houses Costs All Over the UK.
Figure 2: Index values, UK all dwellings from January 2004 to November 2014

...10.9% higher than the pre-economic downturn peak of 185.5 in January 2008

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/hpi/house ... UK-Summary

Look at that. Look at home much houses costs. Oh my god.

edited to add, this
Excluding London and the South East, UK house prices increased by 7.1% in the 12 months to November 2014
This is the shocker. It's not just London. It's not even just the South.
Although it's on the cards that Mr Ohso and I will be selling our home within a year, I'm not at all comfortable with the way prices have shot up.
My granddaughter and boyfriend have just rented a one bedroom maisonette identical to the one Mr Ohso and I own.
When we moved in 12 years ago they were renting out for around £350 a month.. My granddaughter is paying £775.
It's scandalous.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

They might as well run the all party TV debates as a game of musical chairs. By the time we get to 8 or 9 participants they'll get about as much individual time and attention as being served in a busy pub on a Saturday night. Be more fun, and probably more informative about their respective characters and policies, to see the way they handle running for the available chairs, idling around or last minute dash, elbows out or weaving in with grace.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ephemerid wrote:Thanks to WelshIan for the link.

That model estimates running costs at £3BN - currently, on top of the total spend on all social security payments of £272BN PA, there is a lot more spending on administration and outsourcing.

DWP employs 96,000 people at a cost of more than £20 Billion.
A CI would not need nearly as much admin and that bill could be cut by more than half.

DWP outsources masses of stuff, this is just some of it -
WCA, £200M PA for Maximus; IT for Maximus for WCA, £10M PA for Atos;
PIP, £100M PA for Atos and Capita; Mandatory Work Activity and Help To Work, £200M PA;
Work Programme, £1 BN PA for many and various providers;
Health and Work, £50M PA for HML (Maximus subsidiary)
Universal Credit - anyones' guess!
A CI would save all that expenditure as few of those things would be necessary.

I reckon at least £10BN a year could be saved. That would cover the cost of extra supplements for disabled people, perhaps.

I think it's an idea whose time has come. But it would take a massive shift in attitudes, and higher taxes for those who work.
Can't see it happening any time soon.....
Are you sure?

Looks like from here that its running costs in 2011-2 were £7.8bn, and its supposed to be reducing that.

http://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/upload ... 1089es.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Two polls out today, least I think it's today, don't know my arse from my elbow these days concerning the Welsh NHS, both it appears conclude that HamFace's ''The NHS in Wales'' rhetoric has had an effect, all in all pretty depressing, depressing also is the open partisanship of BBC Wales News, it is equally bad, if not worse than the UK equivalent. Especially when it concerns the NHS.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

More from the nest of vipers that is UKIP. This time Patrick O'Flynn has been recorded attacking the libertarian wing as "away with the fairies."

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/01 ... 42330.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do wonder if its possible for any one in UKIP to hold a meeting or even have a conversation without it being secretly recorded these days. Either they've got an awful lot of infiltrators in their ranks or they're a bunch of paranoid maniacs who go around secretly recording each other at will. Or maybe a bit of both?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Up 5.4% in London since May '10, none too shabby that.

I may spontaneously combust at the sight of Greasy Hughes having the boot, best have a bucket of water handy.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Has Cameron called for George Galloway to be included in any debates yet?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
Norman Smith has just Tweeted that Cameron is "flagging up" that the Northern Irish parties have not been included in the proposals for the general election debates.......what's the betting OGRFG will use this as yet another "reason" to avoid doing them?
Silly man's painted himself into a corner. The consensus is that he's too scared. He might as well say he's not doing it so there.
At least that would show a little backbone. As it is the longer it goes on the worse he looks.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:They might as well run the all party TV debates as a game of musical chairs. By the time we get to 8 or 9 participants they'll get about as much individual time and attention as being served in a busy pub on a Saturday night. Be more fun, and probably more informative about their respective characters and policies, to see the way they handle running for the available chairs, idling around or last minute dash, elbows out or weaving in with grace.
There is no chance of any NI parties being included - they will lose their legal action (like the SNP did last time round) and that will be that.

Hamface will then be told once and for all he will be empty chaired if he does not attend. Would he have the gall to let that happen and try and tough it out?

I no longer think that impossible, tbh.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Here's another, another who continues to insult our intelligence by standing up against those dastardly Tories, a repulsive Lib Dem prick whose enjoyed the trapping afforded to him, by trotting out the coalitions spin for the last 5 years and now manufactures spats.

Eff off, it was blatant 2 years ago, now its farcical.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... spiration/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Earlier I posted RebeccaRiots comment about paper boys delivering Tory election leaflets. I've just come in and found this comment.

EJilly Bermingham retweeted a Tweet you were mentioned in
3h: @dimayray

Don't know about other areas but @Brum Tories putting out newspaper saying how wonderful they are, no mention that they put it out
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Excellent article from Peter Hain - of all people.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-74 ... MZRVy40-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ephemerid wrote:Thanks to WelshIan for the link.

That model estimates running costs at £3BN - currently, on top of the total spend on all social security payments of £272BN PA, there is a lot more spending on administration and outsourcing.

DWP employs 96,000 people at a cost of more than £20 Billion.
A CI would not need nearly as much admin and that bill could be cut by more than half.

DWP outsources masses of stuff, this is just some of it -
WCA, £200M PA for Maximus; IT for Maximus for WCA, £10M PA for Atos;
PIP, £100M PA for Atos and Capita; Mandatory Work Activity and Help To Work, £200M PA;
Work Programme, £1 BN PA for many and various providers;
Health and Work, £50M PA for HML (Maximus subsidiary)
Universal Credit - anyones' guess!
A CI would save all that expenditure as few of those things would be necessary.

I reckon at least £10BN a year could be saved. That would cover the cost of extra supplements for disabled people, perhaps.

I think it's an idea whose time has come. But it would take a massive shift in attitudes, and higher taxes for those who work.
Can't see it happening any time soon.....
Are you sure?

Looks like from here that its running costs in 2011-2 were £7.8bn, and its supposed to be reducing that.

http://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/upload ... 1089es.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've edited my post - salaries are £2BN not 20!

The running costs do not include schemes and programmes - which run into billions. That's before you factor in Universal Credit.
The savings are supposedly coming from staff wages, staff pensions, and automation of benefit claiming/procedures.
As yet, the "streamlining" and staffing reductions assumed then have not happened; the savings planned by getting people to make claims online hasn't happened to a significant degree either; and the report states that DWP at that point had no idea how it was going to make these savings beyond saying they'd be cutting JCP staff by 20% when the jobcentres and benefit delivery centres closed as UC was rolled out - which hasn't happened, as we all know.

Since that NAO report, not much has changed; spending on benefits has fallen a bit, but that's mainly due to 1.9 Million sanctions and the lower or zero rates paid to the million-plus people waiting for ESA and PIP assessments.

When you add it all up, the savings in wages would be significant; and the savings on all the programmes and schemes which would no longer be necessary if we had a CI come to billions.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Gwynne MP ‏@GwynneMP 5m5 minutes ago
Asked IDS if scrapping the Youth Contract Wage Incentive 8 mths early was a tacit admission of its failure. "Yes" is a précis of his reply.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Julian Ware-Lane ‏@warelane 39 secs39 seconds ago
Ukip expels four Southend councillors from the party

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/1174982 ... ref=twtrec" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Excellent article from Peter Hain - of all people.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-74 ... MZRVy40-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow. I'm gobsmacked. That is a great piece, what happened to the old Peter Hain?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

StephenDolan wrote:

Wow. I'm gobsmacked. That is a great piece, what happened to the old Peter Hain?
Good isn't it? I'm reminded that once Peter Hain really was a dangerous lefty. Good for him.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Crikey! That was good. Thanks for the link.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

My main gripe with Hain has always been how timid he sometimes came across, especially while defending Labour's record in power, an accusation you can level at a few I suppose, but that is a good read, and I dare say aimed at the dying but vocal band of Blairites.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Big Ooops IDS...

Labour DWP Team ‏@LabourDWP · 15m15 minutes ago  Lambeth, London
#DWPQuestions Oops.. IDS says figures raised by @HelenGoodmanMP showing 771k people hit by bedroom taxis is 'made up'. They are #DWP figures
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Kate Godfrey ‏@KateVotesLabour 1 hr1 hour ago
Ed Miliband tells Sky News Labour will review the downgrade of Stafford Hospital, putting patients first.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:My main gripe with Hain has always been how timid he sometimes came across, especially while defending Labour's record in power, an accusation you can level at a few I suppose, but that is a good read, and I dare say aimed at the dying but vocal band of Blairites.
DFH, I'm thinking of you :lol:
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

StephenDolan wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:My main gripe with Hain has always been how timid he sometimes came across, especially while defending Labour's record in power, an accusation you can level at a few I suppose, but that is a good read, and I dare say aimed at the dying but vocal band of Blairites.
DFH, I'm thinking of you :lol:
Hah! Been waiting for the response to the Greek election, and how it affects Miliband, conversely been peeking at Lib Dem Voice too, and how it mirrors the Lib Dems fortunes, haven't come yet, but I'm pretty sure it will. 8-)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

European Union: Take note of people in Europe supporting Syriza campaign against austerity

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Eu ... erity/?twi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Moon bear Quinn having a bath - Just because :)
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Just watching the PAC hearing about academy trust accounts and the DfE.

They've started with what's been going on at Durand...and this about sums it up. Lauener is the MD of the Education Funding Agency at the DfE.

Freddie Whittaker @FCDWhittaker · 3m 3 minutes ago
.@margarethodge asks what if #Durand decides to sell leisure facilities. Lauener says under control of Morgan, but Martin disagrees #PAC

and

.@AnneMcGuireMP asks about doubt over ownership of assets. Wormald says that's one area where DfE and #Durand disagree #PAC @CommonsPAC

:?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Linda Burnip ‏@LindaBurnip · 47m47 minutes ago
@zoesqwilliams @IlfSave At a Q&A with @Ed_Miliband this morning, he gave a solid and passionate commitment that @UKLabour *will* #saveIFL
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Linda Burnip ‏@LindaBurnip · 47m47 minutes ago
@zoesqwilliams @IlfSave At a Q&A with @Ed_Miliband this morning, he gave a solid and passionate commitment that @UKLabour *will* #saveIFL
:clap: :clap: :clap:

That's the best news I've had all month. Wonderful stuff. Well done to everyone who has campaigned hard.

And glad I did my tiny little bit - in desperation - and wrote to him about it ... it sounds as though he may actually be listening to people.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

.@AnneMcGuireMP asks about doubt over ownership of assets. Wormald says that's one area where DfE and #Durand disagree #PAC @CommonsPAC
So nobody knows who owns a school?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tom Blenkinsop ‏@TomBlenkinsop 36m36 minutes ago
Long pause from Esther McVey as she's asked if an est £300m in benefits are deliberately withheld by the DWP. Good Q by @AnnMcKechinMP
Chris Bryant ‏@ChrisBryantMP 40m40 minutes ago
Not so much IDS as odious. IMHO
I can't watch. I'd do myself and my laptop an injury ...
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
So nobody knows who owns a school?
Pretty much.

Martin getting a rough ride here. And the DfE. Nobody seems to know what's going on or whether what happened was legal.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I've edited my post - salaries are £2BN not 20!

The running costs do not include schemes and programmes - which run into billions. That's before you factor in Universal Credit.
Taking the running costs as £7.8bn in 2010/11, what's not included in that?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ben Bradshaw ‏@BenPBradshaw 48m48 minutes ago
My 5 tips for @UKLabour candidates and MPs on how to deal with the Green Party
http://www.benbradshaw.co.uk/5_tips_for ... reen_party" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Freddie Whittaker @FCDWhittaker · 2m 2 minutes ago
Phillips: "School transferred, without receiving any money, assets to trust of which you and other #Durand pixies were directord" #PAC
:D
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Lord Ashcroft polling synopsis is getting to the point where it's seems to have been guest edited by NickyB.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 15m 15 minutes ago
LAB moves up 4 and gets its first @LordAshcroft poll lead of 2015 while the LDs slump to 6 and GRN down 2.

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 15m 15 minutes ago
Two Mondays ago the Populus and the Ashcroft had an 11 point gap over the LAB lead http://bit.ly/1z1Xc6D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 12m 12 minutes ago
@LordAshcroft poll finds a 1% LAB lead in England which equates to a 6.2% CON to LAB swing since 2010.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ukippery on a grand scale....

Seems to be a UKIP theme today. I mean seriously, what planet is this one on?

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ashcroft Polling 26 Jan 2015.jpg
Ashcroft Polling 26 Jan 2015.jpg (33.66 KiB) Viewed 7865 times
Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 14s 14 seconds ago
Revised @LordAshcroft poll Tweet. The first survey from him this year that doesn't have LAB behind.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 6m6 minutes ago
Minister says Govt has agreed an outright ban on fracking in national parks (etc) and removed words "in exceptional circumstances" 1/2

Kerry McCarthy MP ‏@KerryMP 5m5 minutes ago
But speaker confirms no such amendment has been tabled, so, they haven't... All a bit messy, how we will know what we're voting on? 2/2
Are we going to have another farce re government ministers not knowing what's in or out of their legislation ... a la Grayling and May? This lot are beyond incompetent - blundering arses.