Tuesday 17th February 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 17th February 2015

Post by PorFavor »

Good morning.

@ ScarletGas and FuriousGeorge

Hello, there!

Apologies for not having said hello to a couple of other new people who have been in evidence recently. I'm a bit crap at times. In any case, I'm sure you don't need my input to keep you going!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Welcome FuriousGeorge & ScarletGas - and Hugo where are you ?

I hate Ganesh
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote: The next ONS Public Sector Finances release is in three days 20 Feb 2015.
That's the really important one since it'll have income tax receipts from self-assessment and will indicate whether the deficit will be lower than last year or not.

I would hazard a guess that if receipts are disappointing then they'll be looking for a quick fire sale of something prior to April 5th.
There goes all the NHS property. Gone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Welcome FuriousGeorge & ScarletGas - and Hugo where are you ?

I hate Ganesh
How can you hate Ganesh. It's like hating the sun.

oops.
I thought you meant the god of wisdom & learning.
Last edited by citizenJA on Tue 17 Feb, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FuriousGeorge
Backbencher

Post by FuriousGeorge »

Hello all, I was on the old site briefly as well.

I did buy some delightful granola cookies from sainsburys, but they, er, had an accident during the journey :popcorn:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

FuriousGeorge wrote:Hello all, I was on the old site briefly as well.

I did buy some delightful granola cookies from sainsburys, but they, er, had an accident during the journey :popcorn:

You'll fit in here very well then FG. :lol: Welcome & to Scarlet too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Welcome, ScarletGas!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Church of England calls for 'fresh moral vision' in British politics

Church of England bishops have released a “pastoral letter”, the first of its kind delivered before an election, in which they attack a “growing appetite to exploit grievances” and “find scapegoats” in British political life. (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)
Timely intervention (says she who isn't at all pro organised religion).

Christians, Awake!

Edited

To add a comma
Last edited by PorFavor on Tue 17 Feb, 2015 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

PorFavor wrote:

Church of England bishops have released a “pastoral letter”, the first of its kind delivered before an election, in which they attack a “growing appetite to exploit grievances” and “find scapegoats” in British political life. (Andrew Sparrow, Guardian)

Christians Awake!
Plenty of bashing the bishops BTL (sorry, couldn't resist :wink:)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

StephenDolan wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Christians Awake!
Plenty of bashing the bishops BTL (sorry, couldn't resist :wink:)
Good on the bishops. I heard their spokesperson on Radio 4 putting the interviewer right re the accusation that it would be seen as supporting certain political party manifestos - he said that if it was a 'manifesto' it was the manifesto according to christianity which puts helping the meek and poor above all else.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:So. Now we know.

Not only is Cameron's Britannia waiving the rules, Britons will ever be slaves.

The DWP's Day One Support Trailblazer (as administered by Maximus) piloted in London is to be rolled out nationwide. I told you so.
From the first day of a JSA claim, 18-24 year-olds have been sent to work for 30h/week (mainly in nursing homes) to earn their benefits.
The "support" bit is 10 hours of supervised (allegedly) jobsearch help from Maximus.
There are about 190,000 "NEETs" that we know about; (there may be more who have chosen not to claim any benefits despite having no work, training, apprenticeship, or further education) these young people are the target. They will, if Cameron gets his way, be required to work under this scheme for 30 Hours a week for the wages equivalent of £1.43/hour. Slave labour.

We have Osborne poncing about in Europe, no doubt lecturing the Greeks on what they should be doing while his own policies collapse; we have OGRFG trotting about giving various speeches to his donor's workers but failing as ever to open himself to question; we have Shapps accusing Balls of never having run a business while Shapps' experience in the field is dubious at best and fraudulent at worst; and after a week in which not one Tory took responsibility for the HMRC while several Tories and senior civil servants lied blatantly about what was known in 2011. we have a nice new squirrel to enjoy.

If you are 18-24, obese, claiming benefit, you are that squirrel. Look at you! It's all your fault!

Young? Work for peanuts.
If you don't, you won't get any help in the 10 hours a week you've got to find a real job.

Fat? Go on a diet.
Carol Black (author of the report which led to the DWPs Health and Work Service) will be after you if you don't.

Claiming benefit? How dare you.
You will stop. We'll make you.Sooner or later, we'll find a way to stop your benefits.

In the process, all these youngsters (and all the other people working for free) replace paid workers. Who then have to.......work for free.

Slaves. Millions of them.
It worries me that we are likely to see more of this:

On Sunday February 8, a 93-year-old woman died in hospital. Her next of kin have been informed and a forensic post mortem has taken place Two people have been arrested in connection with the death; a 43-year-old man from Hillingdon and a 19-year-old woman from Bracknell.
Both were arrested on suspicion of ill treatment or wilful neglect of a person without capacity under the Mental Capacity Act 2005, and have been bailed until 8 March.

See more at: http://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news/bra ... twyMj.dpuf

Me Ohso worked until last year at a day centre attached to a care home. With the best will in the world, nineteen year olds shouldn't be anywhere near them. Not without some intensive training and suitability tests.

We're talking [often] incontinent, or on a catheter or doubly incontinent. Having to be fed like a baby. Liable to choke. Difficult to take care of. Lots of problems occur in the the last stages of dementia or with the very old. It's not pretty and God forbid we should end up like it, but there's a good chance we will, and we deserve dedicated trained people to look after us.

I couldn't do it. I've been full of admiration for Mr Ohso that he could. Why should youngsters be forced to do it. Why is a nineteen year old in the job?
For Gods sake, what are they doing?
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

ohsocynical wrote:
ephemerid wrote:So. Now we know.

Not only is Cameron's Britannia waiving the rules, Britons will ever be slaves.

The DWP's Day One Support Trailblazer (as administered by Maximus) piloted in London is to be rolled out nationwide. I told you so.
From the first day of a JSA claim, 18-24 year-olds have been sent to work for 30h/week (mainly in nursing homes) to earn their benefits.
The "support" bit is 10 hours of supervised (allegedly) jobsearch help from Maximus.
There are about 190,000 "NEETs" that we know about; (there may be more who have chosen not to claim any benefits despite having no work, training, apprenticeship, or further education) these young people are the target. They will, if Cameron gets his way, be required to work under this scheme for 30 Hours a week for the wages equivalent of £1.43/hour. Slave labour.

We have Osborne poncing about in Europe, no doubt lecturing the Greeks on what they should be doing while his own policies collapse; we have OGRFG trotting about giving various speeches to his donor's workers but failing as ever to open himself to question; we have Shapps accusing Balls of never having run a business while Shapps' experience in the field is dubious at best and fraudulent at worst; and after a week in which not one Tory took responsibility for the HMRC while several Tories and senior civil servants lied blatantly about what was known in 2011. we have a nice new squirrel to enjoy.

If you are 18-24, obese, claiming benefit, you are that squirrel. Look at you! It's all your fault!

Young? Work for peanuts.
If you don't, you won't get any help in the 10 hours a week you've got to find a real job.

Fat? Go on a diet.
Carol Black (author of the report which led to the DWPs Health and Work Service) will be after you if you don't.

Claiming benefit? How dare you.
You will stop. We'll make you.Sooner or later, we'll find a way to stop your benefits.

In the process, all these youngsters (and all the other people working for free) replace paid workers. Who then have to.......work for free.

Slaves. Millions of them.
It worries me that we are likely to see more of this:

On Sunday February 8, a 93-year-old woman died in hospital. Her next of kin have been informed and a forensic post mortem has taken place Two people have been arrested in connection with the death; a 43-year-old man from Hillingdon and a 19-year-old woman from Bracknell.
Both were arrested on suspicion of ill treatment or wilful neglect of a person without capacity under the Mental Capacity Act 2005, and have been bailed until 8 March.

Me Ohso worked until last year at a day centre attached to a care home. With the best will in the world, nineteen year olds shouldn't be anywhere near them. Not without some intensive training and suitability tests.

We're talking [often] incontinent, or on a catheter or doubly incontinent. Having to be fed like a baby. Liable to choke. Difficult to take care of. Lots of problems occur in the the last stages of dementia or with the very old. It's not pretty and God forbid we should end up like it, but there's a good chance we will, and we deserve dedicated trained people to look after us.

I couldn't do it. I've been full of admiration for Mr Ohso that he could. Why should youngsters be forced to do it. Why is a nineteen year old in the job?
Because the plebs are finally going to learn their place, and they're never going to get above themselves again.
The truth ferret speaks!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Chris Bryant ‏@ChrisBryantMP 5m5 minutes ago
Before anyone gets too excited about ‘staunchly Labour’ Dec, he voted Tory in 2010
Er, wassat? Did I miss something?
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Welcome SG and FG!

That bar chart on care spending shows that every coalition year has been worse than any Labour year. So who's slashing the budget? Bloody BBC.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

frightful_oik wrote:Welcome SG and FG!

That bar chart on care spending shows that every coalition year has been worse than any Labour year. So who's slashing the budget? Bloody BBC.
Exactly. Disgraceful partisan reporting.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ScarletGas wrote:Good Morning from a "lurker" of some duration who has finally decided to raise his head above the parapet.
Always interesting reading the contributions from people who obviously have a much better in depth knowledge of important issues such as education and the NHS from which I have learned a lot.
Why have I suddenly decided to contribute myself?
Today we have had yet another sad example of our cowed and partial political commentator class feeding the narrative laid down to them by the press owners.Cameron comes out of the woodwork after a week of him and Osborne acting invisible.At Q&A after his speech our esteemed press representatives have the chance to question him on the issues of the last week and what do we get........Ed Balls receipts!!! Not a word on HSBC/Green.
The standard of political reporting in this country has never been lower particularly from our national press.Is it because they live in the same Westminster bubble as our politicians or are they so frightened for their jobs and life style they swallow any principles they once had.
Where are the impartial journalists of the past who told it as it is or was?
For the record I do enjoy reading those who make it clear where their political loyalties lie but are prepared to give alternative views.Here I am thinking of Hardman and Oborne rather than Robinson, Oakeshott or Ganesh who masquerade as impartial but rarely are.
Apologies for the length of the missive and will try to be more concise in future however this is something that has been gnawing at me for some time.
Hi there SG! Excellect first contribution, welcome to FTN, I look forward to reading more of your stuff - for the record I agree with every word you've written above. Hugo Young must be spinning in his grave, whilst the ghosts of John Cole and Brian Redhead probably stand aghast at the woeful standard of political journalism in this country.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

StephenDolan wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Did we notice this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31015807" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Headline.
Care spending 'cut by fifth in 10 years'
Story:
Spending on care for people aged 65 and over has fallen by a fifth in England over the last 10 years, an analysis by the BBC shows
Pitiful.
Check out the bar chart. Could a more suitable title have been used perhaps?
Yesterday as I rushed past the newspaper stand in the supermarket, I caught a headline saying Scandal of five minute care visits. Not sure what paper it was in...But five minutes? It's hardly time enough to take a pulse if the person looks dead.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

FuriousGeorge wrote:Hello all, I was on the old site briefly as well.

And hello to you George! On the old site eh? That seems a long time ago now.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And welcome to our two new posters...
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Thank you for the welcome.

Welsh Cakes for everyone!!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote: It worries me that we are likely to see more of this:

Umm, why shouldn't 19yr old people (men as well as women) be carers ?

I started nursing at 17, begun SRN training at 18 & qualified at 21. Dealt with all those things you mention & a whole lot more besides.

You mention being forced to do the job. Was she forced to do it or was she just really unsuited to the work ? Until she's been found guilty in court, it's dangerous to assume she is guilty of neglect or anything else.

Let's not jerk to the tabloids.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Chris Bryant ‏@ChrisBryantMP 5m5 minutes ago
Before anyone gets too excited about ‘staunchly Labour’ Dec, he voted Tory in 2010
Nah, just the Murdoch press making a mountain out of a small molehill by declaring that Ed's lost the election because Ant & Dec vote Tory.

In reality, Ant voted Tory in 2010 & both have said that they can't stand the coalition & that Labour still has to earn their vote.

Nick Sutton posts the days papers & the Scum has this:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ScarletGas wrote:Thank you for the welcome.

Oh yes!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

pk1 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Nah, just the Murdoch press making a mountain out of a small molehill by declaring that Ed's lost the election because Ant & Dec vote Tory.

In reality, Ant voted Tory in 2010 & both have said that they can't stand the coalition & that Labour still has to earn their vote.

Nick Sutton posts the days papers & the Scum has this:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The first tweeted reply says it all: 'desperate stuff'.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Lordy, is this yet another FTNer who lives in the Principality?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Failure of government workfare scheme revealed
http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2014/12 ... e-revealed
Under the 'Day One Support for Young People Trailblazer', young Londoners with less than six months prior paid employment were forced into 13 weeks of unpaid work experience immediately upon claiming jobseekers' allowance. Little thought appears to have been given to finding them suitable placements, with claimants given just one day to accept unpaid work. The report finds that poor planning and "negative publicity" surrounding workfare schemes meant the vast majority were simply corralled into working in charity shops.
Refusal to immediately accept these positions meant the threat of sanctions. Ludicrously this was the case even for those actively seeking paid employment."It was a bit strange, I had to go to a job interview the next day so they said either you cancel it, or you will be sanctioned," one claimant told assessors.
The poor quality of placements and the limited opportunities to find paid work meant that more than half simply refused to take part at all. Of those that did take part, a majority dropped out before the end of the 13 weeks. In most cases, dropping out turned out to be the better option. Overall those who failed to make it through the 13 weeks did much better than those who stayed. Of those who made it to the end, just 26% ended up in paid employment. This compares to 60% of those who dropped out midway through the scheme and around half of those who refused to take part at all. The DWP's impact assessment is even more damning for workfare supporters. Civil servants found that in those areas where the scheme took place, employment rates of those claiming JSA increased by an almost imperceptible 0.8%. This impact dropped to zero, eight weeks after people first started claiming JSA.
So now they intend to inflict this pointless misery on even more young people. Meanwhile wages will continue to be depressed by so much free labour - and paid jobs become even more scarce. This should make a lot of people who currently have paid work worried. Why should employers bother to actually hire someone for money (money, they shriek) when the government will shovel them a ready supply of freebies?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

pk1 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: It worries me that we are likely to see more of this:

Umm, why shouldn't 19yr old people (men as well as women) be carers ?

I started nursing at 17, begun SRN training at 18 & qualified at 21. Dealt with all those things you mention & a whole lot more besides.

You mention being forced to do the job. Was she forced to do it or was she just really unsuited to the work ? Until she's been found guilty in court, it's dangerous to assume she is guilty of neglect or anything else.

Let's not jerk to the tabloids.
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. If so apologies....But you had training. They're planning on putting youngsters into nursing homes purely to earn their dole money...Big difference.

I don't know whether the nineteen year old is guilty or not. But to see such a young person charged is disturbing...Or perhaps that's just me.
I know people are working in these homes without nursing experience. And when they're agency are often sadly lacking in any sort of training. Even for lifting people in and out of chairs safely.
And I have an 89 year old uncle in a care home. I don't plan on going in one.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Here's an excellent and informative article from the local government head in Unison. Paints a very dismal picture indeed - but a compellingly true one.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-9e ... ONj0C40-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

An equally good article on the CSE enquiry - some new bits I'd not seen elsewhere:

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-fe ... ONj7S40-g0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Armando Iannucci ‏@Aiannucci 46m46 minutes ago
1,046,398 sanctions and penalties imposed on Jobseeker's Allowance claimants in 2013.1 prosecution of HSBC tax dodger. (from New Statesman).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

So --- it's Pancake day.
I used to regularly make pancakes for my dad, but could never understand why he preferred them with salt and pepper...Haven't had the heart to make them since he died fifteen and a half years ago.

Think it's time I made some more, but with lemon and sugar....Sorry dad.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Oakeshott ‏@IsabelOakeshott 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: I can exclusively reveal that Harriet Yeo, chairman of Labour's NEC 2012-13, is quitting the party over Ed M's position on Europe
Oakeshott sounds very full of herself about it - doesn't she just. Presumably the resignation is because Miliband won't commit to a referendum unless there is a significant treaty change proposed. What's so terrible about that? And is this resignation - of a former chair of NEC - really a bombshell? I don't know ... not been 'in the party' for long or deep enough to know.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Tue 17 Feb, 2015 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

ErnstRemarx wrote:

Sadly No Ernst.Living in a market town just outside of Oxford where I have Cameron for a close neighbour and they weigh the tory vote. Deep joy.

My Welsh connection is on my Fathers side.Hence the first part of my user name.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ScarletGas wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Sadly No Ernst.Living in a market town just outside of Oxford where I have Cameron for a close neighbour and they weigh the tory vote. Deep joy.

Does the gas come from your mother's side then? :D
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ScarletGas wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Never mind about the Toryness of your area - just remember that they're piling up votes there that are useless and would be better elsewhere. Let them have a 20000 majority. I'll happily take the half dozen 3000 majorities that a better vote distribution brings. You can always campaign in another constituency or at ward level for the locals, if you ever fancy getting stuck in...

<grabs Welsh cake>
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 2h 2 hours ago
Labour keeping up HSBC pressure on Tories: Balls writes to Osborne with five questions. http://bit.ly/1AzOQa8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's quite a letter.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ScarletGas wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Lordy, is this yet another FTNer who lives in the Principality?

Strangely..... Yes but can you guess why?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ScarletGas wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ScarletGas wrote: Sadly No Ernst.Living in a market town just outside of Oxford where I have Cameron for a close neighbour and they weigh the tory vote. Deep joy.

I'm very intrigued now. Is she descended from a gas lighter family? Or a famous actor / actress in the era when stage lights were gas? You're going to tell me something entirely different I know.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Eaton @georgeeaton · 2h 2 hours ago
Labour keeping up HSBC pressure on Tories: Balls writes to Osborne with five questions. http://bit.ly/1AzOQa8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's quite a letter.
Not half - if gets any honest answers from Osborne, frankly I'll probably die of shock. He's asked all of the right questions (and there's certainly more than 5 there). But it's incendiary stuff that'll have the government squirming. I'm glad it is public, although I expect the meeja (the finest one can buy) to try and bury the letter.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Isabel Oakeshott ‏@IsabelOakeshott 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: I can exclusively reveal that Harriet Yeo, chairman of Labour's NEC 2012-13, is quitting the party over Ed M's position on Europe
Oakeshott sounds very full of herself about it - doesn't she just. Presumably the resignation is because Miliband won't commit to a referendum unless there is a significant treaty change proposed. What's so terrible about that? And is this resignation - of a former chair of NEC - really a bombshell? I don't know ... not been 'in the party' for long or deep enough to know.
If any word describes someone perfectly then Smug is definitely the word for Oakeshott.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ScarletGas wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Does the gas come from your mother's side then? :D
I'm very intrigued now. Is she descended from a gas lighter family? Or a famous actor / actress in the era when stage lights were gas? You're going to tell me something entirely different I know.
No that's far too intelligent! Think sport.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ScarletGas wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:

Commiserations. I live in Berkshire and that's too close to Dave as far as I'm concerned.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ScarletGas wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote: Lordy, is this yet another FTNer who lives in the Principality?

Never mind about the Toryness of your area - just remember that they're piling up votes there that are useless and would be better elsewhere. Let them have a 20000 majority. I'll happily take the half dozen 3000 majorities that a better vote distribution brings. You can always campaign in another constituency or at ward level for the locals, if you ever fancy getting stuck in...

<grabs Welsh cake>
Agreed.That's why whenever I see my M.P (thankfully rarely) he always asks why I have a smirk on my face!
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ScarletGas wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ScarletGas wrote: Strangely..... Yes but can you guess why?
Ooooh, I love a riddle! Was your mum a darts or footie commentator?
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. If so apologies....But you had training.
Not when I started as what was called in those days, a nursing auxiliary. I worked in a hospital for the young chronic sick (young meaning under 65) & whose patients were all long term & with life limiting illnesses such as multiple sclerosis, huntingdons chorea & so on. It was hard, back-breaking work with few mechanical aids & certainly not what is available to carers nowadays.
They're planning on putting youngsters into nursing homes purely to earn their dole money...Big difference.
I doubt it would ever happen tbh. Care homes will not jeopardise being struck off by having untrained care assistants harming their patients - their profit margins mean more to them than appeasing the Tories.
I don't know whether the nineteen year old is guilty or not. But to see such a young person charged is disturbing...Or perhaps that's just me.
I know people are working in these homes without nursing experience. And when they're agency are often sadly lacking in any sort of training. Even for lifting people in and out of chairs safely.
And I have an 89 year old uncle in a care home. I don't plan on going in one.
Me neither but they are not all as bad as they are made out to be. The bad ones are unacceptable but it's rather like the narrative that surrounds Mid Staffs, as if all care homes are bad because of a few in the same way as all NHS hospitals must be bed because of Mid Staffs.
Last edited by pk1 on Tue 17 Feb, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

ScarletGas wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
ScarletGas wrote: Sadly No Ernst.Living in a market town just outside of Oxford where I have Cameron for a close neighbour and they weigh the tory vote. Deep joy.

<grabs Welsh cake>
Agreed.That's why whenever I see my M.P (thankfully rarely) he always asks why I have a smirk on my face!
..well, I think I'm right in saying that Oxford itself has got a pretty active Labour party at the local council level, and I'd guess it's probably good for Green (capital 'G') party stuff as well. I bet the local FibDems are an endangered speices thobut. I guess that they won't be doorknocking any student areas...
WelshIan
Committee Member

Post by WelshIan »

ScarletGas wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ScarletGas wrote: Strangely..... Yes but can you guess why?
Just googled (I'm not sure if that's cheating...), nickname of Bristol Rovers is The Gas. Is your mum a big fan?

Welcome, and thanks for the Welsh cakes!
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
ScarletGas wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: I'm very intrigued now. Is she descended from a gas lighter family? Or a famous actor / actress in the era when stage lights were gas? You're going to tell me something entirely different I know.
Ooooh, I love a riddle! Was your mum a darts or footie commentator?
The football suggestion is getting pretty warm.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Oh dear, the stupidity of the NSA knows no bounds.

The hackers will adapt this and turn it round (as happened with bits of Stuxnet).

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 51579.html

We are basically screwed, as are the banks.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Harriet who?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.