Thursday 2nd April 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Re: Thursday 2nd April 2015

Post by pk1 »

Is there a way of stopping a 'vine' on a web page ?

Looking at the vine of Bennett arriving in Manc on the AS blog is making me nauseous & I just want to be able to make the page stand still.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

pk1 wrote:Is there a way of stopping a 'vine' on a web page ?

Looking at the vine of Bennett arriving in Manc on the AS blog is making me nauseous & I just want to be able to make the page stand still.
If it was the real Bennett you could just ask it a question. I am led to believe she enters a deadlocked state and stands still for half an hour saying errrr.

Some sort of software bug I suspect.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Normally I would suggest some form of pesticide but, in this case, you will have to make sure it is environmentally friendly. ;)
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

Normally I would suggest some form of pesticide but, in this case, you will have to make sure it is environmentally friendly. ;)
You could try asking the vine how much the tax payer had to stump up for its kitchen. Might make it go away.
Release the Guardvarks.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Jeremy Vine?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:
pk1 wrote:
Ha! I'm thinking,'it's April and I haven't even washed the dishes!' My excuse is I'm a bloke and can thus ignore squalor. :D
:lol:
Squalor....oh,I have plenty of that,everywhere.2 large dogs who invariably get covered in mud(and worse) twice a day.So there is a muddy tide mark on every surface they can smearily walk past,plus a daily coating of thick brown dust from floor to ceiling.Maybe white walls and glass chandeliers were not such a good idea.
We've no animals now, and I can't get over how much housework Mr Ohso and I generate. After 53 years I really don't want to do it any more but haven't quite reached the point where I can ignore it and wallow. A couple more years might do it I reckon.

The medicine I was having to give spike was bitter and sticky. He used to foam and splutter & shake it everywhere. My carpets are ruined. I have a Vax shampooer. Went over them 3 times after we lost him but it doesn't budge it. For the first week or so it looks ok and I think I've won, but then dust settles on the sticky splots and I'm back to square one.
He also managed to get it down the walls. I've scrubbed them so hard in some places I've taken the paint off...And it still shows.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and
AstraZeneca boss Pascal Soriot has withdrawn his name from the letter signed by 100 business leaders supporting the Conservatives' economic policies. He said: "I support policies that reinforce a competitive tax environment and encourage investment in the UK. Neither I nor AstraZeneca endorse any political party and while I support such policies my name should not be used in the context of the letter."
Coming apart at the seams :lol:

More:
Kamal Ahmed, BBC business editor
Posted at 16.45
tweets :

Am told that @AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot was approached by Tories but wasn't aware it was to sign the pro-Conservative business letter"
Last edited by pk1 on Thu 02 Apr, 2015 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

This is something I didn't expect to see

You better believe it! Richard Wilson & I are proud to campaign together for a #Labour Government.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Can't imagine Cameron coming across as genuine on Absolute Radio.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Re. tonight's debate.....

It seems that the latest on this is that some leaders may get more time to talk than others. (From the Guardian)
Apparently, if the moderator thinks that it's necessary, she can allow more time to particular individuals.
Cameron, of course, gets to have the last word.

Whilst this is not a presidential election, the fact is that there are just two people who can reasonably expect to be Prime Minister.
In France, Hollande and Sarkozy had 3 hours of debate and questions.
They had an hour answering set questions and debating with each other, another facing an audience with random questions, and another facing a panel of journalists who also asked random questions.
I would imagine it's quite difficult to obfuscate in such circumstances; the candidates have to debate properly and answer properly - not only do they need to have something to say, they can't get away with anything.

The format we had last time was about right for the circumstances here; I'm not proposing we copy the French, as we don't have a President.
But I do think the situation we have now - which is entirely due to Cameron and his demands - is ridiculous.
It is all because of his refusal to commit to the debates, his insistence that minority parties were included, his pratting about for months on end while the broadcasters caved in to his every whim, and above all his cowardice, that has led to this format.

I hope he fails to show. I want him to be seen as the craven little creep he is.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Ha ha ha. Afer months on end of having the easiest possible ride from the meeja, Farrago now claims it's biased against UKIP. So nothing to do with a motley collection of misfit councillors and PPCs who seem to manage to out-idiot each other on an almost daily basis?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 51370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Have we had this from the Tory Party SNP.
Source Guardian AS.

Since privatising the NHS in England would most likely render the Scottish NHS position very difficult (whatever she thinks), I hope Murphy campaigns hard on that. A vote for the SNP is a vote to privatise the NHS.
I don't think you can blame them too much there, because if they say they will vote against English privatisation they called Scotchies lording it over England.

But I think you're right that the Scottish NHS would be massively affected by the English NHS. Private companies who become very rich and have no solidarity with Scotland can poach medics away.
I absolutely can blame these bastards. They campaigned for yes to stop NHS privatisation, which must have meant England's because Scotland's was devolved.

Now they are happy to allow asset stripping of England's NHS. Some anti Tory party those tossers are.
They're case for Yes was that the Scottish NHS, though devolved, wasn't protected from TTIP. Don't know if that's true or not, but it wasn't implausible.

I think voting Labour to influence also the UK and not just Scotland is a good reason to vote for them. But you can understand why they're not shouting it from the rooftops.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

From AS Blog:
Chuka Umunna ✔ @ChukaUmunna
Follow

Interested to learn that AstraZeneca's CEO has withdrawn his name for the Conservative's business supporters letter.
Edited to add: dag-nabbit, PK beat me to it! Must refresh page before posting.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote:

and
AstraZeneca boss Pascal Soriot has withdrawn his name from the letter signed by 100 business leaders supporting the Conservatives' economic policies. He said: "I support policies that reinforce a competitive tax environment and encourage investment in the UK. Neither I nor AstraZeneca endorse any political party and while I support such policies my name should not be used in the context of the letter."

More:
Posted at 16.45
tweets :

Am told that @AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot was approached by Tories but wasn't aware it was to sign the pro-Conservative business letter"
I wonder exactly how the letter/email/whatever was worded?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

pk1 wrote:

and

More:
Posted at 16.45
tweets :

That's bound to be the top story on the BBC news right? Right?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

pk1 wrote:
More:
Posted at 16.45
tweets :

I wonder how many more there will be?

It's beginning to look as though some business people were asked a few questions which Crosby/Shapps took as evidence they were Tory supporters. How Shapps stays in his position is utterly beyond me.

So far, we've had about 30 Tory donors, 40 people with various honours from Cameron, a few known tax avoiders, various bods with sinecures as Tory "advisers" - and now two influential CEOs claiming their names are being used against their knowledge or will.

I really hope a few more people come out and say something similar.

I want these Tory bastards embarrassed.

Odd how they get away with lying all the bloody time because we are just the plebs, and no amount of complaints to the BBC etc. ever gets these bastards on the spot with their lies - but a CEO in a successful business squeaks and they listen....still, I'll take my Tory embarrassment in any form as long as it keeps on coming....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

StephenDolan wrote:
pk1 wrote:

and

More:
Posted at 16.45
tweets :

That's bound to be the top story on the BBC news right? Right?
I've got BBC News24 bimbling away in the background and there's been nary a whisper. Although it might come (Kamal Ahmed of "Tweet" fame being a BBC bod).
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Daily Mail accuses The Guardian of ''an almost psychotic hatred of the free press'' still, better than a psychotic hatred of anyone who isn't white, straight, married, or a rabid right winger then.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/daily-mai ... -dem-first" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ErnstRemarx wrote:Ha ha ha. Afer months on end of having the easiest possible ride from the meeja, Farrago now claims it's biased against UKIP. So nothing to do with a motley collection of misfit councillors and PPCs who seem to manage to out-idiot each other on an almost daily basis?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 51370.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does anyone know who the candidates and councillors are? They change on a weekly basis. Daily, sometimes.

He's managed to lose 19 candidates so far, 18 councillors, and sundry others in various jobs/committees/whatever.

He's obliterated an entire manifesto - and Mrs. Lemon-Sucker Suzanne Evans gets on the telly every day in order to explain why the new manifesto still isn't ready, but she knows what their policies are, no honest, and they'll be in the manifesto.......

He and his merry band of nobodies are all over the media (especially the BBC) like an urgent case of spreading herpes, so how he can complain that he's misrepresented when it's him and his moronic sidekicks doing the representing day in day out?
They're on the News, Daily Politics, Question Time (and that's just the Beeb) every bloody day. Bias my arse.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I won't be able to watch tonight's debate, does anyone think I will miss much?

:roll:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Bit of a bummer the debates being on 8-10pm on a Thursday.
All my fave programmes are on, Masterchef, Supervet, The Good Wife, Law & Order Special Victims and we can only watch one live channel while recording one. Something's going to have to give.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

StephenDolan wrote: That's bound to be the top story on the BBC news right? Right?
Faisal Islam on Sky mentioned The AZ CEO very much in passing so I went hunting.

I happened upon the Ladbrokes statement on twitter - not a peep in the meeja about it.

Disgusting how they went on about it hour upon hour yesterday yet the bigger story is coming out now with these retractions & not a bloody word - even Andrew Sparrow hasn't put the Ladbrokes one on his blog so Andrew, if you're looking in, have a freebie on me !!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Pascal Zoriot's previous contribution to Tory election hopes was shutting down an R&D place in a marginal seat (Loughbrough).

Assuming the local paper there isn't the Tory mouthpiece they often are, it might not be too helpful to have him in the news again.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Yesterday marked the 16th anniversary of the NMW being introduced, against much opposition from the usual suspects.

Not everything New Labour did was bad, some only want you to think that it was.

http://www.labour.org.uk/blog/entry/six ... nimum-wage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I think the Ladbrokes CEO's letter is quite brilliant.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PorFavor wrote:I think the Ladbrokes CEO's letter is quite brilliant.
Hah, bloke from Credit Suisse isn't too happy either.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:Bit of a bummer the debates being on 8-10pm on a Thursday.
All my fave programmes are on, Masterchef, Supervet, The Good Wife, Law & Order Special Victims and we can only watch one live channel while recording one. Something's going to have to give.
Same here so I am recording Masterchef & will 'On demand' Supervet (although last week when he had to put that dog down had me blubbing like a baby so I'm not so sure I should watch it again :lol: )
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Have we had this from the Tory Party SNP.
Scottish Health Secretary Shona Robison has said the SNP would not vote against privatisation in the English health service provided it has no impact on Scottish spending. Speaking in Edinburgh this morning, Robinson said:

Obviously we don’t think the NHS in England is going in the right direction with the involvement of the private sector and so on.

But that’s up to them if they want to structure the NHS in that way as long as the impact of that doesn’t affect public spending.

If we were to see a reduction in public spending in England, that’s where it gets into the territory of affecting public spending in Scotland.

We will define the votes according to whether it has an impact on the NHS in Scotland.
Source Guardian AS.

Since privatising the NHS in England would most likely render the Scottish NHS position very difficult (whatever she thinks), I hope Murphy campaigns hard on that. A vote for the SNP is a vote to privatise the NHS.
SNP, real socialists my arse.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

deleted as post duplicated with site glitch.
Last edited by yahyah on Thu 02 Apr, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Daily Mail accuses The Guardian of ''an almost psychotic hatred of the free press'' still, better than a psychotic hatred of anyone who isn't white, straight, married, or a rabid right winger then.

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/daily-mai ... -dem-first" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or dangerously near below the age of consent in a bikini.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Where'd you see that, please?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm getting SQuirreL and General Error again.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

PorFavor wrote:
letsskiptotheleft wrote:
Where'd you see that, please?
George Eaton tweeted something PF, no link given, but Eaton is usually pretty good with these things.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Most days now I seem to get a spell where the site slows right down and then when I go to post this message appears.

SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Lost connection to MySQL server during query [2013]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: flythenestorguk@gmail.com
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ letsskiptotheleft

Thank you. Still nothing much over at the Guardian (in brouhaha terms).
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

pk1 wrote:
StephenDolan wrote: That's bound to be the top story on the BBC news right? Right?
Faisal Islam on Sky mentioned The AZ CEO very much in passing so I went hunting.

I happened upon the Ladbrokes statement on twitter - not a peep in the meeja about it.

Disgusting how they went on about it hour upon hour yesterday yet the bigger story is coming out now with these retractions & not a bloody word - even Andrew Sparrow hasn't put the Ladbrokes one on his blog so Andrew, if you're looking in, have a freebie on me !!
I almost tweet Faisal a sarcastic tweet about how the media would be full of headlines about "Cameron rows with business" but then thought what's the point, they just ignore you or tweet a holier-than-thou tweet about how the people pointing out their hypocrisy are biased.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Evening,

Sorry haven't had chance yet to read the thread, so apologies if already posted.

There's some quite encouraging tweets added to this article :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 50763.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In contrast Hooton, in the same paper, is quite negative. Good to see him being taken to task by the 3 posts BTL.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/our ... 52308.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Smart has the plans, but stupid has the stories.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

@Ohso,

I suppose I'm too late for Bakewell and Peanut Brittle :(
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

Something a bit lighthearted,

Politicians with their faces folded are truly terrifying

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2015/04/01/pol ... errifying/

The Osborne one is very disturbing.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Spacedone wrote:
pk1 wrote:

I almost tweet Faisal a sarcastic tweet about how the media would be full of headlines about "Cameron rows with business" but then thought what's the point, they just ignore you or tweet a holier-than-thou tweet about how the people pointing out their hypocrisy are biased.
Unfollowed yesterday, makes no odds to him obviously, but the last week or so he has been getting on my tits, a tad.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ diGriz

I've been meaning to say this for some time now . . .

When I look at your picture\avatar thingy, I always see a side-on image of a black and white duck. It took time for me to realise that it was something different but, even now, the duck is the first thing I see and I have to crank my brain round (almost audibly) to move away from it. A bit like that old woman\young woman drawing, if you know the one I mean.

Message ends . . .
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

diGriz wrote:Something a bit lighthearted,

Boris Johnson looks positively gynaecological. :sick:
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

yahyah wrote:
diGriz wrote:Something a bit lighthearted,

Boris Johnson looks positively gynaecological. :sick:
:sick: indeed
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

daydreamer wrote:@Ohso,

Any time. :D
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
pk1 wrote:From AS blog:
Research from Talkwalker, one of Europe’s biggest providers of social analytics, shows that Ed Miliband was the favourite on social media in the weeks preceding the official start of the election campaign. In March, his party got 1.24m mentions on social media. In comparison, UKIP got 784,000 and the Tories 540,000.

On the night of the leaders’ election debate, 44.5% of overall conversation went to Labour, and just 17.6% to the Conservatives. Ed Miliband also registered 70% of commentary across all online media on that evening, while David Cameron registered 23%.

I doubt social media is too telling of general public opinion though.
So if you doubt social media is too telling of general public opinion though, how come hacks everywhere publish so many articles that were created on twitter ?
Nice to see Andrew and his colleagues have abandoned any pretence of even handedness; if social media is supporting Labour/Miliband that couldn't possibly be a reflection of how the unwashed masses really feel, could it. I know I've said it before, but the MSM have lost much of their influence although they refuse to admit it; I think AK pointed out yesterday, the Tories haven't won a majority post-internet age.
I like the HELL YES ... BRIEF MORTALS approach a lot.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

ohsocynical wrote:

Any time. :D
:hug:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I make my own puff pastry and have some left over so I daresay there'll be more goodies tomorrow....
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:

I make my own puff pastry and have some left over so I daresay there'll be more goodies tomorrow....

It's my birthday Monday, will have some Italian colomba cake to share.
It's like panetonne but in the shape of dove.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

PorFavor wrote:@ diGriz

I've been meaning to say this for some time now . . .

When I look at your picture\avatar thingy, I always see a side-on image of a black and white duck. It took time for me to realise that it was something different but, even now, the duck is the first thing I see and I have to crank my brain round (almost audibly) to move away from it. A bit like that old woman\young woman drawing, if you know the one I mean.

Message ends . . .
It was unintentional but happy accident. A pre-existing photo I had to tweak in photoshop to size it as an avatar.
daydreamer
Minister of State

Post by daydreamer »

Some more good headlines for Ed, re: that Absolute interview. :o :shock:

Sorry, it's from the Guardian (for our none reading Guardian nesters), so, I've put some quotes in to give you a flavour. :)
Along with his suddenly personable demeanour the Labour leader was convincing: rarely have his policies come across so clearly as a cohesive strategy for building a stronger, more socialist country
Undoubtedly the best part for Labour supporters about Miliband’s suddenly personable demeanour was the fact that he managed to deconstruct Cameron’s own branding, seemingly effortlessly...Among these dry asides, there was an encouraging discussion about how compassion lies at the centre of Labour policies: immigration policy is about ending exploitation, rather than “closing the floodgates”, while supporting businesses is about putting workers first, raising the minimum wage and outlawing zero-hours contracts, rather than worrying about the fat cats behind the letter to the Telegraph supporting Cameron this week. Rarely have Miliband’s policies come across so simply and clearly as a cohesive strategy towards building a stronger, more socialist country. No longer did we feel that he was a bit bashful about privileging humanity over profit.
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... dio-labour" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by daydreamer on Thu 02 Apr, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.