Fri 3rd, Sat 4th, Sun 5th & Mon 6th April - Easter edition

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Fri 3rd, Sat 4th, Sun 5th & Mon 6th April - Easter editi

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:Some time ago I read a blog about Scottish LA debt. Been looking for it and can't find it now (it was called something like Scotland's black hole bombshell), but this from the Guardian is along similar lines.
The blog had much more details and expressed the opinion that Scotland could be in trouble, I don't understand finances on this scale but it was something to do with writing the debt forward(?)

"Scottish councils pile up record debt
Labour attacks Scottish government for forcing authorities to borrow to offset cuts to funding from Holyrood"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ecord-debt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it all goes tits up are the whole UK responsible for picking up the tab ?
I don't know how much council debt they had before 2007, but that looks a heck of a lot now.

The SNP "protecting services", no doubt.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Helen Rees Bidder ‏@helenreesbidder · 3m3 minutes ago
This is appallingly distasteful. How low will the Camerons stoop to win votes? http://dailym.ai/1C1SZhB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @MailOnline

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

'The strain of looking after Ivan brought us to breaking point. Many marriages don't survive. Ours became stronger': SamCam gives profoundly candid and unique insight into life in Downing Street

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3WNnB1Smw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No they don't possibly because they don't have financial support that you do!
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:Some time ago I read a blog about Scottish LA debt. Been looking for it and can't find it now (it was called something like Scotland's black hole bombshell), but this from the Guardian is along similar lines.
The blog had much more details and expressed the opinion that Scotland could be in trouble, I don't understand finances on this scale but it was something to do with writing the debt forward(?)

"Scottish councils pile up record debt
Labour attacks Scottish government for forcing authorities to borrow to offset cuts to funding from Holyrood"

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ecord-debt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If it all goes tits up are the whole UK responsible for picking up the tab ?
Interesting question, I doubt it. If the councils go bankrupt they will fail to provide mandatory services and shut down. I guess individual councillors may be liable, Ernst is your man for that. The Scottish Government would presumably take direct control to run services but the council's debts wouldn't be picked up.

Which leads to a question on this FFA bollocks that Cameron will offer Sturgeon in exchange for EVEL and a Tory government. That would have to operate within a framework like the European stability pact. does, where deficits are limited and huge penalties apply if you stray.

Since Scotland would immediately need to launch massive austerity I can see the SNP going for it as it will make most of the population very poor, which they can blame on the BoE and the Tories and ram through a vote on independence. This would make things worse still, but the SNP doesn't have a clue once it achieves its reason for being. I suspect one party state would be the inevitable next step.
Release the Guardvarks.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

AngryAsWell wrote:Helen Rees Bidder ‏@helenreesbidder · 3m3 minutes ago
This is appallingly distasteful. How low will the Camerons stoop to win votes? http://dailym.ai/1C1SZhB" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @MailOnline

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, saw that mentioned on Twitter. Didn't post it here because I have been too busy throwing up after reading it. :sick:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Night all ..
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Night AAW. Night all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, AAW
love
cJA
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote: Interesting question, I doubt it. If the councils go bankrupt they will fail to provide mandatory services and shut down. I guess individual councillors may be liable, Ernst is your man for that. The Scottish Government would presumably take direct control to run services but the council's debts wouldn't be picked up.

Which leads to a question on this FFA bollocks that Cameron will offer Sturgeon in exchange for EVEL and a Tory government. That would have to operate within a framework like the European stability pact. does, where deficits are limited and huge penalties apply if you stray.

Since Scotland would immediately need to launch massive austerity I can see the SNP going for it as it will make most of the population very poor, which they can blame on the BoE and the Tories and ram through a vote on independence. This would make things worse still, but the SNP doesn't have a clue once it achieves its reason for being. I suspect one party state would be the inevitable next step.
She wouldn't take FFA because the numbers don't add up. That's one of the irritating things, it's a phony war. Swinney was talking as if FFA would take much longer than independence. It's going in the long grass. They'll have regular grievances running though.

I'm actually more afraid of Miliband not kicking the Tories out straight off than her. Think he could let them pass a budget then ambush.

The SNP tried a nasty power grab in the referendum, by dragooning into NATO and currency union (for which there was no mandate), but they'd inevitably splinter in iScotland.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote: Interesting question, I doubt it. If the councils go bankrupt they will fail to provide mandatory services and shut down. I guess individual councillors may be liable, Ernst is your man for that. The Scottish Government would presumably take direct control to run services but the council's debts wouldn't be picked up.

She wouldn't take FFA because the numbers don't add up. That's one of the irritating things, it's a phony war. Swinney was talking as if FFA would take much longer than independence. It's going in the long grass. They'll have regular grievances running though.

I'm actually more afraid of Miliband not kicking the Tories out straight off than her. Think he could let them pass a budget then ambush.
I think they will take FFA as soon as Cameron offers it. They actually need it to fail so they can get to independence.

If Labour and the SNP have the numbers they will vote down the Queens Speech, but I think Cameron has a couple of weeks to try and pull something out of the fire. I think the SNP will cut a deal right then and there.

But if they don't and if it becomes clear Cameron doesn't have the votes (I.e. There is a clear Labour/SNP bloc) he should go immediately.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

But the GERs are disastrous. People could see they'd gone for it at exactly the wrong time, and wouldn't blame Wesminster or the Bank of England.

Miliband will be v worried about Barnett. Cuts on England with Sco getting more would be a long running sore. If Tories don't implode over EU, they'll relish that.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:'The strain of looking after Ivan brought us to breaking point. Many marriages don't survive. Ours became stronger': SamCam gives profoundly candid and unique insight into life in Downing Street

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3WNnB1Smw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No they don't possibly because they don't have financial support that you do!
The best-rated comments aren't that complimentary...oh, is there an election on?...bringing up your dead son again?.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Missed this from Rachel Reeves on March 28th when she gave victims of the Under-Occupancy Penalty (Bedroom Tax) signed copies of the Bill she will place before Parliament "on day one" if she is Secretary of State for Work & Pensions in a Labour Government, following the election:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/la ... es-5418567
Ms Reeves hands over copies of her Bill as her way of assuring victims she will keep her pledge. She added: “We’ve got to win and we’ve got to deliver. I feel a huge sense of responsibility.

“When I sign this Bill for real in Parliament I will think of these people. With one piece of paper we can make their lives so much better. “They feel like they are being punished. They fell like no one is listening. Well, I’m listening.”

Ms Reeves will go on maternity leave within a few weeks of taking over at the DWP. But not before she has ensured Bedroom Tax is no more.
There's a video on that interview page of her holding up the Bill and there are photos of people she's given it to holding their copies up, too. I can't enlarge the images enough to read what it actually says and the Mirror/Sunday People doesn't seem to have published it online, more's the pity. The video has an annoyingly-long un-skippable pre-roll ad before it gets to the Reeves bit.

I cannot express how much I want this Bill to come to pass – I'd probably swear a lot and burst into tears. I can tell you that the combination of an increase in my rent (above the average for this Borough) leading to an increase in the U-OP, when balanced against the increase in ESA(SG,) means I will be slightly worse off that I was last year. I'm sick to the back teeth of wearing winter clothing indoors or wrapping myself in a duvet on the days when the act of dressing (or undressing) is too painful and exhausting to contemplate, of calculating how little shopping I can get away with and still eat even vaguely properly, of dreading having to add laundry powder/liquid or other household-y type stuff to the basket, of trying to work out how I can cut general bills yet further, and so much more.

But I can also tell you how relieved I am that I'm not in the position of many in this country who are facing all of this plus the strain of attempting to do one or more jobs that pay too little and offer too few hours; and that I'm not having to do all of that with children to raise and care for and/or a disabled (or ill) child, adult child, spouse, or parent, depending solely upon me for their day-to-day care. I'm lucky, too, in that I have an amazing mutual-support network of family and friends who help in so many ways – from physical assistance, to emotional and moral support. Too many people either don't have that or have lost it after having to move away from where they'd built their life and needing to try to start all over again.

We need a change of government and we need a change of ethos. We need a left-leaning Labour Government – and then we'll need to keep pushing for all the promises to be kept.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

As I lay in my bed feeling somewhat disgruntled by the manner in which this election is being fought, particularly by the right, I tried thinking in more generous terms. I felt a little annoyed with myself for having forgotten the name of someone with whom I'd recently exchanged views on proportional representation and devolution of powers and of how they could possibly work in practice (I shall look them up and follow the link to their profile page later). Needless to say that despite having favoured such things for many years I have not thought them through. Anyway neither of us liked the combative nature of politics in this country and he wished for more compromise. Whilst agreeing with him my idealistic views preferred the term cooperation.

Whilst in such generous spirits I also realised my own combativeness when it comes to savage attacks on the current government and how personalised some of them have become, even to the point of considering that politicians I hold strong grievances toward such as Cameron and especially IDS were in fact driven by good intention, no matter how misguided I felt they were. I myself have at times lost patience with those whom I feel refuse to help themselves so tried to see things from their (Tories) point of view. Needless to say I don't agree that kicking the crutches from those unable to walk is the right and proper manner in which to achieve beneficial results and that the only way we are able to offer assistance to those less fortunate through either health or circumstance is by holding out a hand.

Yeah Maggie may have thought in terms of the good Samaritan having the wherewithall in order to help but it was during her years that the very rich saw their taxes roughly halved. Besides amongst our so-called elite, philanthropists are sadly too few and far between. 'And why should they be given the choice anyway? We'd end up with more donkey sanctuaries for example than help toward the needy and dispossessed. Even so I got up feeling that no matter our differing views that Cameron and the like at least entered politics with good intention.

Then I saw the news and one of the first headlines was of teachers reporting the growth of hunger and inadequate clothing amongst schoolchildren. This of course reminded me of foodbanks, sanctions and punitive reductions in benefits such as the bedroom tax. Take the latter for example, whatever its merits in Toryland, Cameron himself stood at the dispatch box clearly stating that the disabled would not be affected. Shapps showed his execrable views by proclaiming his boys share a bedroom, but that's not the same thing as expecting those of different sexes sharing till ten, is it Grant. Sorry Dave, I do feel holier than thou and relish the day you leave Number Ten.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@onebuttonmonkey - I had said that I'd give some views on immigration but although I have them, quite frankly they're nothing more than my own personal ones or opinion. No doubt you have equally strong feelings so what may be preferable are facts and figures rather than more ramblings from the likes of me.

@ohsocynical - Last week we spoke of influencing those with learning difficulties regarding their vote and I suggested that we should take such decisions acting as their advocates. As I said I would raise the topic with my daughter's carers (I had to sign over her advocacy). Well I shall do so today, they were away last week.
adam
First Secretary of State

Post by adam »

Also @onebuttonmonkey, if the 'health tourism' meme thing is in the air you might want to look at this reality check article in the guardian from after the debate.
I still believe in a town called Hope
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Buy-to-let investors get mortgages till they're aged 105, while ordinary homebuyers are 'too old' in their 50s
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... r-50s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From Britain's lunatic property market emerges another astonishing anomaly: if you want to buy a property as an investment to let to someone else, you can get a mortgage almost irrespective of your age.
In fact Britain's biggest building society, Nationwide, will lend to you up to the age of 105.
On the other hand if you're wanting to own a home merely for yourself and your family to live in – as some people still aspire to do, apparently – Nationwide wants you to have finished paying off your loan by 75.
Other lenders are even more harsh, as Telegraph Money has repeatedly shown, and turn down borrowers in their 60s or 50s as being "too old".

One reason for the more generous approach to buy-to-let borrowers arises from the huge overhaul to Britain's pension system.
From Monday April 6, savers over 55 will have access to all their pension cash. Many are expected to withdraw money from traditional investments and instead pour it into buy-to-let. For banks and building societies to profit from this trend, they needed to increase the age at which they will lend to landlords.
Several lenders were swift to respond. Nationwide altered its lending criteria in April 2014, shortly after the pension overhaul was announced in George Osborne's 2014 Budget. Buy-to-let investors can take out new Nationwide mortgages up to age 70, with a maximum term of 35 years.
A 70 year-old taking out a Nationwide mortgage for a property he or she lives in would have by contrast a maximum term of five years...
All part of the stronger, 'fairer' society the coalition are determined they are creating for us and our children, eh. When even the Telegraph is calling the housing market 'lunatic' ... you know something has to give. I think I might be becoming a communist ... I find myself increasingly veering towards measures that restrict people to having one home. When the poorest amongst us are not considered entitled to a 'spare' room or, if they are children under a certain age or a couple, not even their own bedroom, this favouritism to those who already have so they can have much more and skew the market for everyone else is disgusting.
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I find my inner Stalinist pops out occasionally too RR.

One of my bugbears is the over sizing and extending of homes, another thing that puts up property prices and makes first time buys or pensioner down-sizing more difficult.

We bought a tiny house, sometimes I feel like I'm in a gold fish bowl with no room to move, but we have decided not to apply for planning permission to increase the size because I believe small properties should be kept available for single folk and couples.

I'd like to see Labour talking about more projects for housing for older people as well as the young.
It's one of my worries, when we are older, need to be nearer a town and are less fit, where will we find a suitable home, either to purchase or to rent ? There seem to be very few elderly suitable properties around.
Can't believe I'm alone in that.
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

See the Greens are down at 4% in YouGov.

Margin of error applies of course, but can't help thinking a lot of people may have changed their minds about voting Green after the debates.

Seeing cuddly Bennett actually on the same platform as Cameron may have galvanised minds to realise that when it comes to May 7th keeping the Tories out is what is necessary.

But my neighbour (who didn't watch the debates) told me yesterday she's is going to vote Green after literally cursing about 'F***ing Miliband' being so stupid as to allow himself to be interviewed in his kitchen.
I'm getting good at not responding, just took a Zen-like approach when she said it.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:See the Greens are down at 4% in YouGov.

Margin of error applies of course, but can't help thinking a lot of people may have changed their minds about voting Green after the debates.

Seeing cuddly Bennett actually on the same platform as Cameron may have galvanised minds to realise that when it comes to May 7th keeping the Tories out is what is necessary.

But my neighbour (who didn't watch the debates) told me yesterday she's is going to vote Green after literally cursing about 'F***ing Miliband' being so stupid as to allow himself to be interviewed in his kitchen.
I'm getting good at not responding, just took a Zen-like approach when she said it.
You can take some consolation from knowing that her vote isn't going to make that much difference to Labour prospects in Ceredigion. Not sure whose prospects it might affect ... Ceredigion is a law unto itself. (Did your neighbour not realise that the Miliband interview was part of a series of interviews with political leaders in their kitchens - and that others had also committed this cardinal folly?)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Portillo Has Not Been Attacked By Anti-Fascists Despite What Twitter Says
Anatomy of a fake Twitter account.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/mic ... cists-desp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But someone should have given him a good talking to about the colour of his jacket ....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 13m13 minutes ago
Just read @PaulGoodmanCH piece. If you want to protect the Union you have to vote Labour. Tory government is main independence driver.
:shock:
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

This naked Thatcherite housing bribe is a disgrace. Is that all Osborne has left after his 'successful' chancellorship?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Michael Portillo Has Not Been Attacked By Anti-Fascists Despite What Twitter Says
Anatomy of a fake Twitter account.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jimwaterson/mic ... cists-desp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But someone should have given him a good talking to about the colour of his jacket ....
There is no justification on earth for the colour of Portillo's wardrobe in general. It's not eccentric it's just thoughtless.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

StephenDolan wrote:This naked Thatcherite housing bribe is a disgrace. Is that all Osborne has left after his 'successful' chancellorship?
It was quite "funny" in the Telegraph yesterday (insomnia). They were harping on about Osborne's 80's-like housing giveaway, while complaining that Ed's business policies were taking us back to the 80's ....
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

To the Sun "exclusive" today one can only LOLOL. So we are meant to think badly of Ed because he prepared for the debate? As if all the others didn't??

Seriously, is this the "best" they have got?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Had my first election bumpf dropped through the letter box yesterday, living in a Labour stronghold I don't exactly expect a deluge, predictably it was from Plaid Cymru, and predictably it contained a multitude of lies and half truths.

Labour could have protected those affected by the bedroom tax, they refused.
Made the case to increase the minimum wage, they did nothing.
Fought to bring vital job creating powers to Wales and out of the hands of the Conservatives in London, they didn't bother.

The local council also had it, not surprisingly.

5 schools being shut, though didn't mention that they have under occupancy of 75% and a backlog of repairs running into the low millions, of course failed to mention the millions cut from central government.

I hope the PC candidate comes knocking, and I hope I am in to answer the door.

I'll boot his arse over the front gate.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Had my first election bumpf dropped through the letter box yesterday, living in a Labour stronghold I don't exactly expect a deluge, predictably it was from Plaid Cymru, and predictably it contained a multitude of lies and half truths.

Labour could have protected those affected by the bedroom tax, they refused.
Made the case to increase the minimum wage, they did nothing.
Fought to bring vital job creating powers to Wales and out of the hands of the Conservatives in London, they didn't bother.

The local council also had it, not surprisingly.

5 schools being shut, though didn't mention that they have under occupancy of 75% and a backlog of repairs running into the low millions, of course failed to mention the millions cut from central government.

I hope the PC candidate comes knocking, and I hope I am in to answer the door.

I'll boot his arse over the front gate.
Upload to YouTube please :lol:
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Okay freshly showered with a clean change of clothes and now I am going to burden you with some of my thoughts ref immigration. I shall however move on from discriminatory talk but fear this may be somewhat long-winded; there are so many thoughts that it may be difficult to condense. Should you read on you may also notice that I hold conflicting views albeit one who would rather bridge the divide. Please accept my apologies if I speak of personal experiences; it is not that I want to be centre-stage but wish to speak of those I have encountered in differing circumstances.

Let me begin with correcting a remark I once made in my early days at the G. I can't remember the topic but somehow people who had travelled to India spoke of their altruism, to which I replied that I had even found them altruistic in Afghanistan and North Africa. Perhaps I was stoned at the time but unable to edit so let it stand whereas what I really meant was that they were extremely hospitable even in areas where you may expect hostility toward the British because of recent history. 'And to be frank they're not really that altruistic in India having somewhat more of a caste system than even our class one and excepting the upper orders there is a tendency to look down on women. Being part Indian and Southern Spanish may have put me in a rather unique position. They do seem keen on ancestry and religious background, Arabs tended to stress Moorish roots, but I cannot say that I noticed whites being teated differently. That was back in the seventies, I fear that things have changed.

So where am I heading; values and integration should foreigners come to our shores. Farage for example makes me sick regarding his talk of foreign speakers. Yeah Nige I wonder how much effort, apart from German, you've made in speaking the local lingo wherever you have been. Not much I'm guessing, sorry if I'm wrong. Personally I love areas that have to some extent been ghettoised, Jewellery Quarters, China Towns, Curry Miles, Somali and other African clubs for a few examples. Don't you just love them? I remember one shop on Granby Street, Liverpool 8, that smelt beautiful as you approached. In it were table-height bins full of all manner of herbs and spices that you could buy by the pound. Nevertheless integration is important, not least from a values perspective. Should people come to our country to reside then they must adopt British Values. No I'm not speaking of tastes or even religion, but of equality. If they cannot treat those of different gender or background as their equal then they have no place here. I have similar views toward racists too, even if they're white Britons. Not surprising for one who used to be beaten up for the colour of my skin as a child... and I'm not particularly dark.

Dare I raise the subject of Islamophobia? I guess I should because it is a source of concern in modern Britain. Personally I hold a certain disdain for all religion, albeit I have a Christian upbringing and have shown an interest in Buddhism, even Hinduism in my youth, but rather from a spiritual perspective than one of orthodoxy. I do understand Islamophobic feelings given the rise of Islamic Fundamentalism and indeed see it in my children's generation. Even my own sons call me a Moslem lover in derogatory fashion, but I really am not. I am tolerant of others' religions, albeit I'd rather they did not exist, but my personal grievance toward Islam is that it seems akin to indoctrination.

Let me tell you a story (in my best Max Bygraves voice). When I tutored at a local college I had to guide, mentor or whatever you wish to call it a class of students on a group computing project. It had to be something multimedia and interactive. The obvious choice was web design, albeit I had to spend their first few weeks giving them an induction course in HTML. The more able students, one in particular, also learned JavaScript but I had little time for such tuition and could only give pointers to further material. Anyway rather than allocating them into groups I allowed them to form their own. Somewhat naturally one group was several second generation Pakistani lads. Then they had to choose their topics for their web-sites. Much to my dismay the aforementioned group wanted to do a site on the teachings of Islam. I tried to encourage them toward cars since they'd often sneak off to automobile websites when let loose on computers. No they wanted to do a site on Islam. I raised the subject with their year tutor and against my wishes he said let them go ahead. I therefore tried to encourage focus on how to integrate their faith in a modern or Western society... to no avail infortunately. They didn't earn high marks, excepting two of them who put in much effort toward the design of the site, as they largely reproduced religious texts, in Arabic too.

As I say I fear Moslems have been somewhat indoctrinated. I had other grievances too regarding these lads, as likeable as they were individually they had little regard for others. For example faces would sometimes appear at the window pane in the door of a classroom as someone looked in. If it were a fellow Moslem they would often walk into the class and greet one another in their hands on fashion. Of course I would challenge and tell them off for such interruptions and as often as not they would pull out the race card. This was their way and to treat them otherwise was being racist. I did take them to one side after one such occasion, rebuked their calling me racist and explained what I had myself been subjected to in the fifties. Such interruptions ceased. Another of my grievances with them concerned two lads of Indian descent, both of whom eventually left the college for stress related reasons because of the abuse they received from those of Pakistani origin, something else that I used to challenge them on. As I say not an acceptance of equality... and why the bloody hell were second generation immigrants still holding such grudges here?

Whatever I do feel that there should be more public expression from Imams and the like regarding British life. I know there are Moslems who disagree but I similarly expect Christian leaders to do so too. As they indeed do much to the chagrin of our Tory politicians. There was other stuff I'd intended but that shall have to do.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Easy to mock the guy, but he really seems to be making an effort.
Joey Essex @JoeyEssex_
· Apr 3
Still trying to work out who to vote for!#Baffed but I've made sure I'm registered to vote so that come May 7th I have a voice.
He was at the Labour event in Warrington and seems to have impressed one or two people.
Owen Jones @OwenJones84
· 16h 16 hours ago
I’m the 1,384,749th person to have a selfie with @JoeyEssex_ A genuinely lovely bloke.
Attachments
Harry.jpg
Harry.jpg (80.84 KiB) Viewed 6665 times
Ed.jpg
Ed.jpg (59.8 KiB) Viewed 6665 times
Owen.jpg
Owen.jpg (83.1 KiB) Viewed 6665 times
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

utopiandreams wrote:Should people come to our country to reside then they must adopt British Values. No I'm not speaking of tastes or even religion, but of equality. If they cannot treat those of different gender or background as their equal then they have no place here.
Just wanted to highlight that comment. Thank you, ud.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I rue the day McBride took the Murdoch dollar and started writing for the ST, dubious character at the best of times, but a hell of a good writer, and bugger, this is behind the paywall.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/com ... 539746.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

''Credible challenger v's the incumbent fantasist'' quite.

@StephenDolan, that's put an idea in my head, stop it!
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Yes Grim, it is easy to mock Joey Essex, but if he gets more youngsters to register to vote, he has done more than a lot have attempted to do, fair play to him.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Yes Grim, it is easy to mock Joey Essex, but if he gets more youngsters to register to vote, he has done more than a lot have attempted to do, fair play to him.
The contrast with narcissist Russell Brand tearing up his ballot paper is pretty obvious.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:There was a discussion about Southampton Itchen recently. I thought FTNers might be interested in a little update given the campaign has started.

We've now had something like three Labour leaflets and a card when we came back from holiday saying that the PPC, Rowenna Davis (replacing John Denham) had dropped by and inviting us to call her to talk about any issues we had. Labour branding was very strong. By contrast, we've only had one leaflet from the Tory, Royston Smith. This had no overt Tory branding, and majors on him being the local candidate (implying that Davis was 'parachuted in'). In fact, you have to read half way down before you get confirmation that he's a Tory and even then he is setting himself against the party, saying that if a majority Tory government hasn't held a referendum on EU independence by the end of 2017 he'll resign from the party.

Interestingly, a leaflet last year from Smith was coloured dark red and you had to read the small print to see he was a Tory rather than an independent. I take from all this that Southampton Itchen Tories have zero support from central office, suggesting the seat has been written off despite being close in 2010 and Labour losing the incumbency of John Denham, and Tories winning control of the council for a time. Moreover, the approach suggests that Smith now sees being a Tory as a liability. I suspect he's fighting to hold off Ukip as much as to beat Labour.

I was always fairly confident that Labour would hold the seat but rather more comfortable now. In fact I decided to make a small donation to Oliver Coppard's campaign instead of the local one. I hope I'm right.
It's No 4 on the Tory target seat so if they have written it off, it doesn't bode well - for the Cons :lol:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/ ... e-targets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Yes Grim, it is easy to mock Joey Essex, but if he gets more youngsters to register to vote, he has done more than a lot have attempted to do, fair play to him.
I have to confess I don't have the foggiest idea who he is.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

utopiandreams wrote:
Should people come to our country to reside then they must adopt British Values. No I'm not speaking of tastes or even religion, but of equality. If they cannot treat those of different gender or background as their equal then they have no place here.
Who decides who does and does not share 'British values'?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
Bike secure? Spot the error!

Hampshire Police post picture of insecure cycle (News)
David Cameron secretly visits Hampshire?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/ ... -1-6673246
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

From AS blog, written today by Rowena Mason:
As an aside, does anyone remember when Ed Balls ambushed George Osborne with a challenge to a TV debate live on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show? That now appears to be in doubt over a row about whether O’Flynn will be allowed to join them and Lib Dem finance spokesman Danny Alexander. Both Labour and the Tories are trying to blame each other over who is blocking the debate.
Why on earth would Ed Balls agree to having Danny Alexander & Paul O'Flynn there ?

Balls v Osborne is one thing but Balls v 3 tories is manifestly unfair.

edit to add that it's noticeable she links to Cameron's & Clegg's 'Easter message' but manages to exclude Ed.
Last edited by pk1 on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

mikems wrote:... Who decides who does and does not share 'British values'?
Quite so, mikems. I hate the way that such things are portrayed.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Buy-to-let investors get mortgages till they're aged 105, while ordinary homebuyers are 'too old' in their 50s
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers ... r-50s.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From Britain's lunatic property market emerges another astonishing anomaly: if you want to buy a property as an investment to let to someone else, you can get a mortgage almost irrespective of your age.
In fact Britain's biggest building society, Nationwide, will lend to you up to the age of 105.
On the other hand if you're wanting to own a home merely for yourself and your family to live in – as some people still aspire to do, apparently – Nationwide wants you to have finished paying off your loan by 75.
Other lenders are even more harsh, as Telegraph Money has repeatedly shown, and turn down borrowers in their 60s or 50s as being "too old".

One reason for the more generous approach to buy-to-let borrowers arises from the huge overhaul to Britain's pension system.
From Monday April 6, savers over 55 will have access to all their pension cash. Many are expected to withdraw money from traditional investments and instead pour it into buy-to-let. For banks and building societies to profit from this trend, they needed to increase the age at which they will lend to landlords.
Several lenders were swift to respond. Nationwide altered its lending criteria in April 2014, shortly after the pension overhaul was announced in George Osborne's 2014 Budget. Buy-to-let investors can take out new Nationwide mortgages up to age 70, with a maximum term of 35 years.
A 70 year-old taking out a Nationwide mortgage for a property he or she lives in would have by contrast a maximum term of five years...
All part of the stronger, 'fairer' society the coalition are determined they are creating for us and our children, eh. When even the Telegraph is calling the housing market 'lunatic' ... you know something has to give. I think I might be becoming a communist ... I find myself increasingly veering towards measures that restrict people to having one home. When the poorest amongst us are not considered entitled to a 'spare' room or, if they are children under a certain age or a couple, not even their own bedroom, this favouritism to those who already have so they can have much more and skew the market for everyone else is disgusting.
In my younger days the usual thing was to open a building society account and save up for your deposit. The same building society would give you special preference.

You needed a fair sized deposit, and the repayments couldn't take up more than a 1/4 of your earnings. That meant low wages excluded you. Women's wages weren't taken into consideration

If you applied for a mortgage it had to finish by the time you were 65, which was (until recently) retirement age. The maximum length of a mortgage was 25 years.

If you were around fifty then the repayment period was shortened. Much older and you didn't stand a chance, if you were on a low wage.

It meant that if you were in your twenties and were granted a mortgage, didn't keep remortgaging, and up-sizing, you were outright owners of your home by the time you were fifty.

We have quite a few friends who are still in the home they first bought.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

mikems wrote:
utopiandreams wrote:
Should people come to our country to reside then they must adopt British Values. No I'm not speaking of tastes or even religion, but of equality. If they cannot treat those of different gender or background as their equal then they have no place here.
Who decides who does and does not share 'British values'?
But what to do with all the British people who don't treat those of different gender/background as equals.like our ruling classes?Deport her majesty because she doesn't treat the maids as equals?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Rebecca wrote:... But what to do with all the British people who don't treat those of different gender/background as equals.like our ruling classes?Deport her majesty because she doesn't treat the maids as equals?
I wish I could answer that, Rebecca. Even thinking of them as reptilian doesn't help because I view animals with more respect than they.

Edit: that is both them and they btw.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

pk1 wrote:From AS blog, written today by Rowena Mason:
As an aside, does anyone remember when Ed Balls ambushed George Osborne with a challenge to a TV debate live on the BBC’s Andrew Marr Show? That now appears to be in doubt over a row about whether O’Flynn will be allowed to join them and Lib Dem finance spokesman Danny Alexander. Both Labour and the Tories are trying to blame each other over who is blocking the debate.
Why on earth would Ed Balls agree to having Danny Alexander & Paul O'Flynn there ?

Balls v Osborne is one thing but Balls v 3 tories is manifestly unfair.

edit to add that it's noticeable she links to Cameron's & Clegg's 'Easter message' but manages to exclude Ed.
And "3 Tories" is certainly apposite when one of them is the Ginger Rodent. O'Flynn is very possibly to the left of him :twisted:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:I find my inner Stalinist pops out occasionally too RR.

One of my bugbears is the over sizing and extending of homes, another thing that puts up property prices and makes first time buys or pensioner down-sizing more difficult.

We bought a tiny house, sometimes I feel like I'm in a gold fish bowl with no room to move, but we have decided not to apply for planning permission to increase the size because I believe small properties should be kept available for single folk and couples.

I'd like to see Labour talking about more projects for housing for older people as well as the young.
It's one of my worries, when we are older, need to be nearer a town and are less fit, where will we find a suitable home, either to purchase or to rent ? There seem to be very few elderly suitable properties around.
Can't believe I'm alone in that.
There are plenty around here. Some really nice complexes. All but two though are for council tenants and those that don't own their property and who need or want to downsize. It frees up social housing for families which is a good thing but is not so good if you can't afford to buy into a private complex.
We have just two complexes where we can rent although we are home owners.

Mr Ohso and I don't like the only two options open to us here in Bracknell, so are waiting for a ground floor flat with its own entrance in Reading. I know it's daft but I must have a front door that leads to outside.

There is also a wait. Dead mens shoes!
If you do start thinking seriously about it, it isn't a bad idea to start looking now, and putting your name down.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

This is Osborne chatting about 'pension freedom day' in a garden centre today. Odd how he's chatting to people who don't look old enough to be releasing a pension fund yet the pensioners behind him aren't paying any attention to him at all !

George Osborne @George_Osborne · 14m 14 minutes ago
Lovely Easter morning in garden centre @wyevaleGC discussing #pensionfreedomsday with local residents
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Agreed, Pk1.
From the photo it looks as though everyone is looking forward to his absence.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

BBC:
Simply Red's Mick Hucknall once donated money to former Labour PM Tony Blair. Now, according to the Sun, he supports David Cameron and Nick Clegg.

"If I had to, I would vote for the Coalition - I've liked the Coalition," the paper quotes him saying.
Once donated to Blair - jeez, we don't all live in the past !

Murdoch's getting desperate.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

frightful_oik wrote:
I have to confess I don't have the foggiest idea who he is.
He's one of those people who are famous for being famous, originally came to public attention in The Only Way Is Essex and has since done other (un)reality shows like CBB. The personality put across in these shows is of a likeable, if not terribly bright, guy who is very much the life & soul of the party; and, yes, apparently "Essex" is really his surname!!

As I said earlier, he is far too easy to mock (and much of the press coverage of him does exactly that) but he appears to be making a genuine effort to educate himself politically and, as others said, that could well influence others to do the same; and he appears to have been a genuine hit at Warrington, Owen Jones tweeted that he & Ed got on like a house of fire.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Something that I had forgotten and had intended to mention. Many of the immigrants that I have known arrived on these shores with very little, sometimes having been stripped of all their possessions beforehand, yet through their own endeavours and hard work have gone on to make good of themselves. Often they've also gone on to employ others. I really hate the disparaging classes who suggest they come here for our benefits. Shame on them.