Fri 3rd, Sat 4th, Sun 5th & Mon 6th April - Easter edition

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frightful_oik
Whip

Re: Fri 3rd, Sat 4th, Sun 5th & Mon 6th April - Easter editi

Post by frightful_oik »

pk1 wrote:BBC:
Simply Red's Mick Hucknall once donated money to former Labour PM Tony Blair. Now, according to the Sun, he supports David Cameron and Nick Clegg.

"If I had to, I would vote for the Coalition - I've liked the Coalition," the paper quotes him saying.
Once donated to Blair - jeez, we don't all live in the past !

Murdoch's getting desperate.
I'd have him locked up for crimes against music. Utter, utter repetitive dross!
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

94ae89c9ebcfe7dedd6f68c741a00787.jpg
94ae89c9ebcfe7dedd6f68c741a00787.jpg (46.32 KiB) Viewed 6055 times
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@Frightful_oik
I'd have him locked up for crimes against music.
Brilliant.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

A Foreign Office memo was leaked to the Telegraph suggesting she [Nicola Sturgeon] privately expressed a preference for David Cameron as prime minister (Guardian Election Blog 43 mins ago - my emphasis)
I don't want to rake over the ins and outs of this - but wasn't it most definitely not a Foreign Office memo but rather a Scottish Office memo? I wish the Guardian would keep up - assuming the story hasn't changed again.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:
A Foreign Office memo was leaked to the Telegraph suggesting she [Nicola Sturgeon] privately expressed a preference for David Cameron as prime minister (Guardian Election Blog 43 mins ago - my emphasis)
I don't want to rake over the ins and outs of this - but wasn't it most definitely not a Foreign Office memo but rather a Scottish Office memo? I wish the Guardian would keep up - assuming the story hasn't changed again.
I've tweeted her & asked for the blog to be amended to show the correct information.

Don't hold your breath waiting for it to happen though....
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
Simply Red's Mick Hucknall once donated money to former Labour PM Tony Blair. Now, according to the Sun, he supports David Cameron and Nick Clegg.

"If I had to, I would vote for the Coalition - I've liked the Coalition," the paper quotes him saying.

It feels like 1997 with all these no-mark 'celebrities' saying they'd leave if Labour won and everyone else saying 'good'. I hope Katie Hopkins sticks to her pledge.
I'm wondering which box has 'the coalition' for him to choose from !
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
I've tweeted her & asked for the blog to be amended to show the correct information.

Yes - it still said the same thing last time I looked. Thanks for "Tweeting", though.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:

Oh, they can be quite quick with the corrections. There was a sneery "Pass Notes" piece about Martin Freeman last week with the obligatory dig at Amanda Abbington's tax problems; I made a comment BTL wondering why they had forgotten to mention that she had now paid her tax bill and .... lo & behold, and extra sentence was added saying "Oh, but she has now paid her bill". Of course what they then forgot to do was add the usual "Article amended at ..." bit, in an attempt to suggest that it had been there all along. The place gets worse. :wall:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

pk1 wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:

It feels like 1997 with all these no-mark 'celebrities' saying they'd leave if Labour won and everyone else saying 'good'. I hope Katie Hopkins sticks to her pledge.
I'm wondering which box has 'the coalition' for him to choose from !

It'll be the same one that Nick Clegg claimed that loads of people put their cross in last time.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:To the Sun "exclusive" today one can only LOLOL. So we are meant to think badly of Ed because he prepared for the debate? As if all the others didn't??

Seriously, is this the "best" they have got?

I caught a minute or so of them right at the beginning. If I'm not mistaken, Natalie Bennett was reading from notes. If she wasn't there was something very interesting on her podium.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Michael Nixon retweeted
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 10 mins10 minutes ago

On who is the most genuine/authentic (YouGov | 03 - 04 Apr):

Miliband - 24% (-1)
Farage - 19% (+3)
Cameron - 18% (-)
Clegg - 11% (+2)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Peter Jukes retweeted
Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 14 mins14 minutes ago

51% of voters have the found the general election campaign 'boring' so far, 42% interesting. (via YouGov)
Mmmm. Dare I suggest that they sound like people that only get their news from TV, the BBC in particular?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

On house ownership, a kid costs more than your average home (the kid estimated at 225 K this time last year)
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/j ... ild-surges" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just to bear in mind like.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

What the bloody hell is this nonsense?

Toby YoungVerified account
‏@toadmeister
Beware of Labour's class war against free schools http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... Young.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Behind the paywall but this is the start...
Class war Free schools ‘face axe if Labour win’
By CRAIG WOODHOUSE, Political Correspondent

HUNDREDS of flagship schools face the axe in a left-wing crusade if Ed Miliband wins power, classroom pioneer Toby Young warned last night.
:toss:

You mean that finally we might get a decent middle-tier to stop fools being allowed to open them and monitor them more effectively.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

wikipedia wrote:Young was educated at Creighton School (now Fortismere School), Muswell Hill and King Edward VI Community College, Totnes. He left school at 16 with one Grade C GCE O-Level in English Literature and did menial jobs under a government Workfare programme. He then retook his O-Levels and went to the Sixth Form of William Ellis School, Highgate, where he got two Bs and a C at A-level and managed to obtain a place at Brasenose College, Oxford after he was sent an acceptance letter by mistake. (He had been offered a low BBB place under a scheme to give access to comprehensive pupils.)
"By mistake".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toby_Young" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (edited to add source)
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

EXCLUSIVE: War hero's fury as Ukip poster outside his home defaced with SWASTIKAS

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/568476 ... kas-Hitler
I don't think the old boy's quite got the hang of UKIP.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Post by mbc1955 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:What the bloody hell is this nonsense?

Toby YoungVerified account
‏@toadmeister
Beware of Labour's class war against free schools http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... Young.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Behind the paywall but this is the start...
Class war Free schools ‘face axe if Labour win’
By CRAIG WOODHOUSE, Political Correspondent

HUNDREDS of flagship schools face the axe in a left-wing crusade if Ed Miliband wins power, classroom pioneer Toby Young warned last night.
:toss:

You mean that finally we might get a decent middle-tier to stop fools being allowed to open them and monitor them more effectively.
This nonsense has already been disposed of as the desperate nonsense it is here: http://zelo-street.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The truth ferret speaks!
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
wikipedia wrote:Young was educated at Creighton School (now Fortismere School), Muswell Hill and King Edward VI Community College, Totnes. He left school at 16 with one Grade C GCE O-Level in English Literature and did menial jobs under a government Workfare programme. He then retook his O-Levels and went to the Sixth Form of William Ellis School, Highgate, where he got two Bs and a C at A-level and managed to obtain a place at Brasenose College, Oxford after he was sent an acceptance letter by mistake. (He had been offered a low BBB place under a scheme to give access to comprehensive pupils.)
"By mistake".
Bloody hell! That was my school, but then again his poor late father was Lord Young of Dartington, and good for him for sending him to the local comp (Totnes) rather than the public school on the Dartington Estate.

Did the article say when he was there?

P.S. Couple of other KEVICS related stories, but will have to wait as I'm driving home from the International Glamour Travel Hub that is Exeter airport.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Teachers warn of 'Victorian' poverty among pupils

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32181848
On the BBC website no less. :o But do they do features about stuff like this on the TV or do they only stick it on their website so they can say they're being fair and balanced?

I rarely watch TV these days, so can't say for sure.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Imagine, if our press were even-handed, how far ahead Ed would be?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

What interest have Sun readers got in Free Schools?

The readers don't matter at all. It's pure proprietor and pals interest.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Interesting point made by Mike Smithson about UKIP in Thanet South- 31% of support from 2010 non-voters.

Doesn't sound like they'll be switching to Cameron.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:To the Sun "exclusive" today one can only LOLOL. So we are meant to think badly of Ed because he prepared for the debate? As if all the others didn't??

I caught a minute or so of them right at the beginning. If I'm not mistaken, Natalie Bennett was reading from notes. If she wasn't there was something very interesting on her podium.
I thought I spotted Ed Miliband writing stuff down a couple of times, so he probably did have some notes, but so what? Cameron came armed with a prop, a copy of the Labour treasury note which he held up to camera so we could all see how shamelessly he misquoted it. Weird for the media to obsess over notes, which one presumes they all would have had, but overlook Cameron's cheap theatricals which really did step outside the realms of conventional debate (not that I'm particularly fussed by the note, you understand, just that if you were going to pick something out as "cheating" I would have thought that would more readily fit the bill).
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Imagine, if our press were even-handed, how far ahead Ed would be?

Cameron feeding a lamb is all over the media, face it, it's over.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

I thought I spotted Ed Miliband writing stuff down a couple of times, so he probably did have some notes, but so what? Cameron came armed with a prop, a copy of the Labour treasury note which he held up to camera so we could all see how shamelessly he misquoted it. Weird for the media to obsess over notes, which one presumes they all would have had, but overlook Cameron's cheap theatricals which really did step outside the realms of conventional debate (not that I'm particularly fussed by the note, you understand, just that if you were going to pick something out as "cheating" I would have thought that would more readily fit the bill).

Yes - Ed Miliband definitely was making notes. And he wasn't attempting to do it covertly - so I don't see what all the supposed "shock revelation" rubbish is all about.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:Imagine, if our press were even-handed, how far ahead Ed would be?

They really do just hate us don't they.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Yes - Ed Miliband definitely was making notes. And he wasn't attempting to do it covertly - so I don't see what all the supposed "shock revelation" rubbish is all about.
Was there anything in the Sun story that suggested he might be a bit slapdash with his punctuation?
Now THAT would be a story.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:

And don't forget how 'broody' he was the other day.

Then of course there's the interview where he and Sam are talking about Ivan, although I wonder if that particular item might not be received well.

Crosby has obviously decided Ed comes across as a nicer person so once again it's the Tory version of damage limitation.

Edited to add.

On Twitter the Mirror was saying Cameron feeds animal while children starve.

The Sun headlined: Cameron saving the life of a baby lamb.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Run it through a grammar checker too, Sun storytellers.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

:sick:
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:... Cameron feeding a lamb is all over the media, face it, it's over.
Did they show him growing the mint for the sauce too, letsskiptotheleft?

Edit: sorry about the empty list, but I'm not using a mouse and the touchpads seem extra-sensitive in Win8.
Last edited by refitman on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed a rogue list
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just done a You Gov survey, mainly about credit cards but last questions was who would I regard as a happy warrior, obviously a reference to the Ed debate notes.
Choices given were all the political leaders.

Talking of the debate notes, I don't have an issue about what was on them, but just wish someone at Labour would take control and make sure things like that don't happen.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
Willow904 wrote: I thought I spotted Ed Miliband writing stuff down a couple of times, so he probably did have some notes, but so what? Cameron came armed with a prop, a copy of the Labour treasury note which he held up to camera so we could all see how shamelessly he misquoted it. Weird for the media to obsess over notes, which one presumes they all would have had, but overlook Cameron's cheap theatricals which really did step outside the realms of conventional debate (not that I'm particularly fussed by the note, you understand, just that if you were going to pick something out as "cheating" I would have thought that would more readily fit the bill).

Was there anything in the Sun story that suggested he might be a bit slapdash with his punctuation?
Now THAT would be a story.
Having read the Huffpost piece on the Sun story, Miliband's crime appears to have been to have prepared for the debate with ideas of what he wanted to get across. Cameron presumably just rocked up and put across exactly the image he hoped for purely by accident, fortuitously finding a completely unprepared and unlooked for copy of the treasury note in his pocket which he spontaneously made use of in an unrehearsed and prime ministerial manner! The Sun claims Ed's preparation made him appear robotic. On that basis I claim that Cameron's preparation made him look like Paul Daniels.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

yahyah wrote:Have just done a You Gov survey, mainly about credit cards but last questions was who would I regard as a happy warrior, obviously a reference to the Ed debate notes.
Choices given were all the political leaders.

Talking of the debate notes, I don't have an issue about what was on them, but just wish someone at Labour would take control and make sure things like that don't happen.
Don't forget that Clegg's debate notes were somehow acquired by the Sun five years ago - coincidence? Or dirty tricks??
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:... The readers don't matter at all. It's pure proprietor and pals interest.
'And let us not forget that Gove is perfectly comfortable with them making a profit, Tubby? Please excuse my cheek, you chose such name, after all.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

How flippin' far is Crosby going to go to try and make Cameron look good ?

All the cuddly lamb, broody Cameron wants a new baby headlines must be because focus groups show women don't like him. Not of course that all women like cuddly lambs and babies, but a lot of us do.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Conservatives could lose only Scots MP, according to new poll

http://news.stv.tv/scotland-decides/316 ... base-poll/
Now if only we could lose all our English ones.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Wait until he sets the hounds on it.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Willow904 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Quite Willow904, I remember Dave (I've dropped the Fat because he does seem to have made an effort, perhaps he's jealous of George or if Sam really, really loved him she'd have told him to lose weight). Where was I, I remember Dave addressing some gathering and taking questions from the media afterwards. I'm not sure but I think the audience were wanting to pose theirs. Anyway he even had a prop ready for them, but then he did ask for the questioners by name. Coincidence? I don't think so.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Refitman has removed a "rogue list". There is something about that phrase that appeals enormously.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

diGriz wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Wait until he sets the hounds on it.
Only a matter of time if re-elected hunting will be back on the agenda, apparently them huntin, fishin and 4x4 types are actively campaigning for some Tories, they'll expect a pay-back.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Yes - Ed Miliband definitely was making notes. And he wasn't attempting to do it covertly - so I don't see what the supposed "shock revelation" rubbish is all about.

Edited
All too many "alls"
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 05 Apr, 2015 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@refitman Thanks, I'd left it so folk knew what I was talking about.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:

On the BBC website no less. :o But do they do features about stuff like this on the TV or do they only stick it on their website so they can say they're being fair and balanced?

It was one of the lead items on BBC News at 6am, ohsocynical, closely followed by a forthcoming NUT (I think) strike. Not seen or read any other news today apart from what I've gained second-hand here.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Refitman has removed a "rogue list". There is something about that phrase that appeals enormously.
:?: :?:
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

utopiandreams wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

It was one of the lead items on BBC News at 6am, ohsocynical, closely followed by a forthcoming NUT (I think) strike. Not seen or read any other news today apart from what I've gained second-hand here.
BBC News also covered an NUT event in Harrogate yesterday so it would be untrue & unfair to say the BBC had ignored it.

Sky News on the other hand, has given not one second to it as far as I can tell.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Normans came over, nicked our land, harried the northerners and then made a big list of other things to nick.
Tories (many of whom have French-derived surnames and fathers in the House of Lords) ....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

In case one picture of David Cameron and a lamb wasn’t enough, he’s now tweeted a montage: (Guardian Election Blog)
Don't all rush at once . . . .
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dave Burns ‏@Txt_therapy 5m5 minutes ago

http://m.poemhunter.com/poem/character- ... y-warrior/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … read this poem by Wordsworth its the 1 Ed had in his notes as inspiration, WORDSWORTH OR MURDOCHS PRESS U CHOOSE

Who is the happy Warrior? Who is he
That every man in arms should wish to be?
--It is the generous Spirit, who, when brought
Among the tasks of real life, hath wrought
Upon the plan that pleased his boyish thought:
Whose high endeavours are an inward light
That makes the path before him always bright;
Who, with a natural instinct to discern
What knowledge can perform, is diligent to learn;
Abides by this resolve, and stops not there,
But makes his moral being his prime care;
Who, doomed to go in company with Pain,
And Fear, and Bloodshed, miserable train!
Turns his necessity to glorious gain;
In face of these doth exercise a power
Which is our human nature's highest dower:
Controls them and subdues, transmutes, bereaves
Of their bad influence, and their good receives:
By objects, which might force the soul to abate
Her feeling, rendered more compassionate;
Is placable--because occasions rise
So often that demand such sacrifice;
More skilful in self-knowledge, even more pure,
As tempted more; more able to endure,
As more exposed to suffering and distress;
Thence, also, more alive to tenderness.
--'Tis he whose law is reason; who depends
Upon that law as on the best of friends;
Whence, in a state where men are tempted still
To evil for a guard against worse ill,
And what in quality or act is best
Doth seldom on a right foundation rest,
He labours good on good to fix, and owes
To virtue every triumph that he knows:
--Who, if he rise to station of command,
Rises by open means; and there will stand
On honourable terms, or else retire,
And in himself possess his own desire;
Who comprehends his trust, and to the same
Keeps faithful with a singleness of aim;
And therefore does not stoop, nor lie in wait
For wealth, or honours, or for worldly state;
Whom they must follow; on whose head must fall,
Like showers of manna, if they come at all:
Whose powers shed round him in the common strife,
Or mild concerns of ordinary life,
A constant influence, a peculiar grace;
But who, if he be called upon to face
Some awful moment to which Heaven has joined
Great issues, good or bad for human kind,
Is happy as a Lover; and attired
With sudden brightness, like a Man inspired;
And, through the heat of conflict, keeps the law
In calmness made, and sees what he foresaw;
Or if an unexpected call succeed,
Come when it will, is equal to the need:
--He who, though thus endued as with a sense
And faculty for storm and turbulence,
Is yet a Soul whose master-bias leans
To homefelt pleasures and to gentle scenes;
Sweet images! which, wheresoe'er he be,
Are at his heart; and such fidelity
It is his darling passion to approve;
More brave for this, that he hath much to love:--
'Tis, finally, the Man, who, lifted high,
Conspicuous object in a Nation's eye,
Or left unthought-of in obscurity,--
Who, with a toward or untoward lot,
Prosperous or adverse, to his wish or not--
Plays, in the many games of life, that one
Where what he most doth value must be won:
Whom neither shape or danger can dismay,
Nor thought of tender happiness betray;
Who, not content that former worth stand fast,
Looks forward, persevering to the last,
From well to better, daily self-surpast:
Who, whether praise of him must walk the earth
For ever, and to noble deeds give birth,
Or he must fall, to sleep without his fame,
And leave a dead unprofitable name--
Finds comfort in himself and in his cause;
And, while the mortal mist is gathering, draws
His breath in confidence of Heaven's applause:
This is the happy Warrior; this is he
That every man in arms should wish to be.