Sat 11 and Sun 12 April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Sat 11 and Sun 12 April

Post by citizenJA »

gilsey wrote:A rare article touching on one of my personal hobby horses.

Pitt’s rule for non-doms is only one tax that belongs in the dustbin of history
Heather Stewart
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... of-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Margaret Thatcher’s deeply regressive poll tax, abandoned in the face of mass public protest, was replaced with a council tax based on 1991 property values. It was never completely proportional, but the intention was for regular revaluations, so that the tax would keep pace with house-price inflation.

Yet successive governments wary of upsetting a key demographic – the comfortable homeowner – have repeatedly failed to carry out revaluations, despite rocketing prices. As the Institute for Fiscal Studies’ authoritative Mirrlees Review of Britain’s tax system put it, “any revaluation inevitably creates losers and winners – and losers tend to be very vocal”. It called the failure to revalue council tax bands, “one of the most egregious demonstrations of the ‘tyranny of the status quo’ as a block to desirable change”.
I would be very pleased if EdB announced on 8 May that the Mansion Tax would be temporary while they sorted out the council tax revaluation. Just Do It. (they won't)
Never say never.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Heather Stewart
http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... of-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Margaret Thatcher’s deeply regressive poll tax, abandoned in the face of mass public protest, was replaced with a council tax based on 1991 property values. It was never completely proportional, but the intention was for regular revaluations, so that the tax would keep pace with house-price inflation.

Yet successive governments wary of upsetting a key demographic – the comfortable homeowner – have repeatedly failed to carry out revaluations, despite rocketing prices. As the Institute for Fiscal Studies’ authoritative Mirrlees Review of Britain’s tax system put it, “any revaluation inevitably creates losers and winners – and losers tend to be very vocal”. It called the failure to revalue council tax bands, “one of the most egregious demonstrations of the ‘tyranny of the status quo’ as a block to desirable change”.
I would be very pleased if EdB announced on 8 May that the Mansion Tax would be temporary while they sorted out the council tax revaluation. Just Do It. (they won't)
Have to say council tax revaluation does scare me.
Council tax is already our largest outgoing, apart from food at, over £1,300 a year for a tiny house.
A massive hike in it, which could happen under revaluation, could be crippling.

What should happen should only apply to new purchases, that would be fairer surely, and allow people to budget for an increase when they buy ?
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

Had an amusing incident occur yesterday. Myself and Andrew (this year's local candidate) have decided to campaign for extra pedestrian crossings on the main road through the ward, it being a bugger to cross much of the time, particularly peak hours - not much fun if you're taking the kids to school. To this end we've been door knocking, but MsRemarx suggested we set up the ol' trestle table outside the Co-op at the top of the village and have people come to sign it - which they duly did. We did pretty well in the time we were there - although one particular idiot refused to sign as they were 'unnecessary', just prior to pressing the button to activate the pelican crossing behind her and scuttling across the road when the lights went to red. There's some very odd people about.

Any road, it was blowing a gale and bloody freezing, and MsRemarx had just dumped the WeeBundle on me as she was off leafletting elsewhere in her ward. I realised that having the WB standing around in the cold wan't a great idea, and Andrew then spotted a local asian Tory councillor whip across the road and into the wine bar. Odd, we thought, and in view of the weather decided to drop in there for a pint to see what was occurrin'.

It was like a vortex of darkness - three or four Tory councillors, the local MP (his skin is still grey), two ex Tory councillors (one of whom I beat in 2012 and another who lost his seat last year because of my protege's campaign in my ward) and a whole bunch of 'helpers', not one of whom looked under 60. Unintimidated, me and Andrew and the WB propped ourselves up at the bar (Guinness and San Miguel, if you must know) and enjoyed their discomfiture at our presence. They all stood very self consciously eating their little plates of sandwiches and drinking teas and coffees.

This all came to a screaming halt when the coffee machine behind the bar suddenly went BANG! in a very big way, complete with white flash and cloud of smoke. "No more coffees" said the girl behind the bar. I call that fate. Anyhow, it was time to drop Andrew in town (Ed Balls was around) so we finished our beers and I wished the assembled Tories a good branch meeting (subtle, I thought) and left.

Turns out they'd been out with Chris Grayling in my ward - what a bloody choice. If I find out where they were, I'll be out there this week knocking on doors and reminding people that it's because of him that people's chances of getting justice are pretty minimal and very expensive. Still, I suppose I should be flattered that they shipped him in....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Pro EU & Labour retweeted
Jasna Badzak ‏@JasnaBadzak 2 mins2 minutes ago

Please stay tuned. #UKIP biggest sexual scandal to be revealed. And you will be speechless who is involved! @SLATUKIP @WomenDefyUKIP
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Pro EU & Labour retweeted

Please stay tuned. #UKIP biggest sexual scandal to be revealed. And you will be speechless who is involved! @SLATUKIP @WomenDefyUKIP
Farage having an affair with Herman Von Rompuy?
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Not the Hamiltons again ?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:THE ANDREW MARR SHOW
INTERVIEW:
GEORGE OSBORNE, MP
CHANCELLOR OF THE
EXCHEQUER
APRIL 12th 2015

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/p ... sborne.pdf
Well I'm glad that George thinks the NHS staff are brilliant, ohso, something I'm pretty sure Jeremy has been doing lately. You don't suppose they'll be super or fabulous before electioneering is over, do you?
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 12 Apr, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:shock:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Rumpy-pumpy?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Heather Stewart

I would be really unhappy if Labour were to launch such a process, it is both politically difficult and economically unsound.

Council tax is a joke of a tax, revaluing it will do nothing to fix the problem. The assumption that house price inflation means we can all afford to pay more tax is flawed. In fact for many the opposite is the case, anybody buying a small house today has to spend a fortune and if interest rates go up they are screwed. Tenants of course don't even get the benefit of house inflation.

If we need to raise local taxes we need to find a better way. A local income tax, combined with a cut of any taxes levied on mansions.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

citizenJA wrote:
Osborne struggles to explain how £8bn NHS pledge would be funded - live
"Osborne says NHS money would come from ‘balanced plan’'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... mily-homes
Pick up a bottle of Balanced Plan today - a little dab will do 'ya
Do you remember Complan, citizen? It's probably still around. A sort of ready mix gruel for people with problems digesting.
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Rumpy-pumpy?
Unless it involves Farage, Miliband and Osborne with Natalie Rowe as a witness I ain't bothered.
Release the Guardvarks.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

John Rentoul, on the BBC, is more or less saying that he's always thought, and said, that Ed Miliband is a strong political figure. There's a lot of it about (although Dippy J remains immune thus far).
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
citizenJA wrote:ANDREW MARR:
As Tory election strategist, you have just blown a huge hole in your own strategy by
making an £8 billion unfunded pledge on the NHS, exactly what you said you were
not going to do. Why?

GEORGE OSBORNE:
Well I don’t accept that at all.
Yes, "I don't accept that" has become the answer that actually means "Well, I know it is the case but saying this means I'm not telling a direct lie".
Another avoidance method the Conservatives have perfected in their 5 years. I particularly loathe their use of 'I don't recognise those figures' ... to avoid any statistics that embarrass the hell out of them.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
As Tory election strategist, you have just blown a huge hole in your own strategy by
not going to do. Why?

GEORGE OSBORNE:
Yes, "I don't accept that" has become the answer that actually means "Well, I know it is the case but saying this means I'm not telling a direct lie".
Another avoidance method the Conservatives have perfected in their 5 years. I particularly loathe their use of 'I don't recognise those figures' ... to avoid any statistics that embarrass the hell out of them.
Or 'I won't take any lectures from Labour about....'
The Lib Dems have picked them up as well.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
not going to do. Why?

GEORGE OSBORNE:
The ghastly Patricia Hewitt was responsible for that particular response, if I remember correctly.

Edited to add -

The "I don't recognise that" one, I mean.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Maybe Marr's attitude to Osborne was just fallout from the boatrace.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Heather Stewart

I would be really unhappy if Labour were to launch such a process, it is both politically difficult and economically unsound.

Council tax is a joke of a tax, revaluing it will do nothing to fix the problem. The assumption that house price inflation means we can all afford to pay more tax is flawed. In fact for many the opposite is the case, anybody buying a small house today has to spend a fortune and if interest rates go up they are screwed. Tenants of course don't even get the benefit of house inflation.

If we need to raise local taxes we need to find a better way. A local income tax, combined with a cut of any taxes levied on mansions.
Scrap the lot - only one is necessary - Land Value Tax (LVT)

http://www.landvaluetax.org/
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Deleted post because I found the answer to my question.
Last edited by pk1 on Sun 12 Apr, 2015 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote: Yes, "I don't accept that" has become the answer that actually means "Well, I know it is the case but saying this means I'm not telling a direct lie".
The ghastly Patricia Hewitt was responsible for that particular response, if I remember correctly.

Edited to add -

The "I don't recognise that" one, I mean.
I wish you hadn't reminded me of her. I've got that voice running round my head now.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Maybe Marr's attitude to Osborne was just fallout from the boatrace.
I was going to say that thumbs up don't look like rowlocks to me, tinyclanger2, before realising that that wouldn't work given the winners.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

olivercoppard ‏@olivercoppard 2 mins2 minutes ago

.@nick_clegg was 'too busy' to join the #bbcsp Sheffield Hallam debate this morning. This is what he's doing instead olivercoppard added,

Duncan Clarke @DClarkeWoking
Breaking News: @nick_clegg is tenpin bowling in Colchester
That's a bit insulting to those who might still want to support him.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

IFS statement on the IHT pledge by the Cons:

http://election2015.ifs.org.uk/article/ ... main-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

For Ernst:
Ed Balls Visits Bury North.jpg
Ed Balls Visits Bury North.jpg (41.74 KiB) Viewed 10425 times
Ed Balls ‏@edballsmp 46m46 minutes ago
RT @JamesFrith: Thx to @edballsmp for supporting @SuperJCharity yesterday on visit to Bury North @DawnFidler
Is that your PPC with him?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Sounds like fun Ernst! Was WB on the Guinness of the San Miguel? *innocent whistle*

Re. Grayling's whereabouts, does this help?
Rammy Conservatives ‏@RammyTories · 20h20 hours ago
Today we welcomed Chris Grayling, Justice Secretary to #Tottington to support @DavidNuttallMP #BuryNorth
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

tinyclanger2 wrote:From the Clanger GE spreadsheet:

03:00 am Erewash currently Tory Majority 2501 (5.3%)

How is that looking on the ground frightful?
Well the Tory isn't standing again. Long Eaton and Il'son are both pretty working class but the areas between are fairly posh. UKIP will be a worry here too as BNP have done well in the past. As polls stand it's a Labour gain.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Osborne & Marr:
[youtube]7VbZ_khbkFs[/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Via Labour List.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

pk1 wrote:IFS statement on the IHT pledge by the Cons:

http://election2015.ifs.org.uk/article/ ... main-homes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did you notice this, pk1?
The document lists a number of problems with the policy for example the fact that it would encourage investment in owner-occupied housing rather than other more productive investments and discourage downsizing late in life when that might otherwise be appropriate.
Can somebody please remind me of the stated purpose of the bedroom tax?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I've got a sense the 'Clanger GE Spreadsheet' might prove to become as iconic an emblem as Peter Snow's swingometer .....

A giant leap in psephological technology for us FTNers
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

To be fair to Clegg, I think he attended a mental health event there as well as bowling.
Not that he isn't running scared of Coppard.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:For Ernst:
RT @JamesFrith: Thx to @edballsmp for supporting @SuperJCharity yesterday on visit to Bury North @DawnFidler
Yup.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:To be fair to Clegg, I think he attended a mental health event there as well as bowling.
Even so. It is his seat.
I think it shows pretty clearly he's aware he hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of keeping it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The things you learn on Twitter.

Gove failed his driving test 7 times...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:To be fair to Clegg, I think he attended a mental health event there as well as bowling.
Even so. It is his seat.
I think it shows pretty clearly he's aware he hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of keeping it.
I think there's a fair chance I could literally explode with joy if Clegg gets ousted.
Could get very messy.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Pouring down rain now.
I like it.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Sounds like fun Ernst! Was WB on the Guinness of the San Miguel? *innocent whistle*

Re. Grayling's whereabouts, does this help?
Rammy Conservatives ‏@RammyTories · 20h20 hours ago
Today we welcomed Chris Grayling, Justice Secretary to #Tottington to support @DavidNuttallMP #BuryNorth
Beeky chugger! She was on pints of Creme de Menthe. That quote explians a lot, but not the perplexing phenomenon of David Nuttall's skin colour. I suspect that what I saw yesterday was the vast bulk of the Bury North Tories. Fairly typical of them to not choose a Totty pub, but rather a wine bar. Surprised they even chose that, given that there are a few garden centres in the area with tearooms attached where they'd probably have felt much more at home - and rather less likely to run into those horrid socialists.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ErnstRemarx wrote:
Yup.
Aaah. Feel free to have another Guinness on me.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:The things you learn on Twitter.

:lol: That doesn't surprise me one bit.
ErnstRemarx
Secretary of State

Post by ErnstRemarx »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ErnstRemarx wrote:
Yup.
Aaah. Feel free to have another Guinness on me.
Thank 'ee kindly - I actually sup San Miguel; Andrew's the Guinness lover, as his ample girth betrays rather unkindly.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I still can't quite believe Clegg will lose his seat, tbh. His absence today suggests he shares that point of view.

Of course he, and I, could be wrong......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Even so. It is his seat.
I think there's a fair chance I could literally explode with joy if Clegg gets ousted.
Could get very messy.
Well, just take care to keep well clear of tinyclanger2's spreadsheet. It would be a shame to ruin it, even if it is for a good cause.
diGriz
Committee Chair

Post by diGriz »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
refitman wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Yes - I got one of those. And as I said the other day, I was pleased and relieved that they avoided the trap (and the possible dodgyness (is that a word?) of sweat-shop labour.
Unlike Ukip, who are having their stuff made in China.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:
:shock:
poliester :D

Thanks for the replies on Cameron's tax status btw, I get the feeling with his sense of entitlement he'd try to get away with holding onto it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
Osborne struggles to explain how £8bn NHS pledge would be funded - live
"Osborne says NHS money would come from ‘balanced plan’'

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... mily-homes
Pick up a bottle of Balanced Plan today - a little dab will do 'ya
Do you remember Complan, citizen? It's probably still around. A sort of ready mix gruel for people with problems digesting.
Never heard of it - I think the 'little dab will do 'ya' is from an old-fashioned hair oil advertisement.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

diGriz wrote:poliester :D

Thanks for the replies on Cameron's tax status btw, I get the feeling with his sense of entitlement he'd try to get away with holding onto it.
I'd completely missed the Engrish.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:The things you learn on Twitter.

:lol: That doesn't surprise me one bit.
Nor me - he seems to make a habit of being useless at everything (says someone who passed first time).
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I still can't quite believe Clegg will lose his seat, tbh. His absence today suggests he shares that point of view.

Electoral Calculus has him with a 70% chance of keeping it - what's up with that?

http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/cgi- ... d%20Hallam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Loving Wales is not synonymous with voting Plaid.
That's what's so wrong with nationalism.
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 12 Apr, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:Pouring down rain now.
I like it.
Clear blue skies, but very windy so cold, here.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Talking of Gove...him and Toady support QPR (although I'd love to know if that's just a coincidence and whether Toady supports them just because Mikey does).

88th minute goal from Fabragas...and QPR lose. Not looking good for them.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:I still can't quite believe Clegg will lose his seat, tbh. His absence today suggests he shares that point of view.

I'm hoping you're both wrong !

I did actually put money on him losing it :lol: