sat 25 and sun 26 April

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Re: sat 25 and sun 26 April

Post by ohsocynical »

A campaign memo to Lynton Crosby

Tuesday, 20 November, 2012 in Conservative Party

By Lord Ashcroft

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2012/11/a- ... on-crosby/
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/voters- ... -1-3754824

Am having a "Snozer Moment". If we live in a situation whereby mendacious scaremongering can convince so many of us, what is indeed the point?

I have a few "Snozer Moments" myself - usually when I'm irritated by the pain and constraints of illness and/or depressed.

R.Snozer Esq. has (forgive me, Robert) that his "what's the point?" moments generally come when he's low.

I think we all have them sometimes - I feel as though the people I am fond of and the people I communicate mostly with are holding their collective breath in the cliff-hanger situation.
We have had 5 years of being lied to on a massive scale; we have had a government with no mandate delivering some appalling policies that were in nobody's actual manifesto.
It has taken some time for Labour to get its' weight behind Ed, to help him to unify the party and formulate policy; it is now obvious that he is IS different - but what we don't know is how many other believe it.

I have, at time when I'm low and my fears get translated into anger, pissed off a few people here; I have lost a friend in HindleA as a result, and have annoyed quite a few folks with my frustrations.
But - through it all - I know in my heart that it really IS worth fighting. The Labour candidate here is unlikely to win, but he and we won't throw in the towel. If all we do is increase his vote share, that'll be OK.
My particular areas of knowledge and what I campaign on will still be issues that will need to be dealt with; Labour in office is not going to change a lot of the stuff that needs changing so there is negotiating to do.
But - at least they can be negotiated with. That is untrue of the Tories.

Best of all, Labour will support the NHS, keep us in the EU, try to sort out the mess Gove has made of education, and hopefully reverse some of the more vicious changes in the legal system.
They are no longer the least worst option - for me they are the only option if we want a kinder society and a return to decently funded public services, and for that alone they get my support.

I am worried, tiny clanger. I am afraid that the Tories might just somehow contrive to sneak in again. With them, they are not in office to serve, they are in power to dictate. But I have hope - and if Ed has done nothing else, he's given me that.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Post by onebuttonmonkey »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Tim Montgomerie ن ✔@montie
Tory MPs somewhat down on @BorisJohnson's #Marr performance, one telling me: If he wants top job he needs more precision, less bluster
1:02 PM - 26 Apr 2015
Yeah - good luck with that.
Boris Johnson is in a difficult position. He's built his public persona on the bluster stuff and hiding what I believe to be his true political face. How can he ditch the bluster and still hope to maintain what popularity he has? How can he maintain the bluster and hope to be taken seriously? He's blustered himself into a corner.
I also think there's a fundamental misjudgment in the rose-tinted glasses of those who want to install Johnson. Sure, he can probably bluster through all the scandals and rumours we already know about, and there's nothing to say he'd fall down on anything worse. The issue isn't his capacity to bluster through scrutiny (although scrutiny might be his downfall), so much as he isn't very popular. The Tories are trailing by 14 points (more among women) even in London, where he's the loveable mayor of; opinion polls show he's almost universally loathed outside the capital among the very groups the Tories need to win over to succeed.

My problems with BoJo are (a) ideologically he's terrifying and (b) he's one of the heads of the "substitute characters for substance" movement stemming from desperation, boredom and the press, even though that isn't a meaningful political alternative so much as a meaningless alternative to politics. His pragmatic problem outside fiercely cynical, frustrated idealist lefties like me is that even most ordinary people don't love Boris as much as those who do love him think.Whatever happens, the next Tory leader needs to make up with all of these people they're throwing under the bus in this campaign - moderates, northerners and Scots, anyone outside UKIP and the Mail, really. Boris hasn't a hope with them, on current form.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:
Tim Montgomerie ن ✔@montie
Tory MPs somewhat down on @BorisJohnson's #Marr performance, one telling me: If he wants top job he needs more precision, less bluster
1:02 PM - 26 Apr 2015
Yeah - good luck with that.
Boris Johnson is in a difficult position. He's built his public persona on the bluster stuff and hiding what I believe to be his true political face. How can he ditch the bluster and still hope to maintain what popularity he has? How can he maintain the bluster and hope to be taken seriously? He's blustered himself into a corner.
I would guess Boris has been buffooning his way in and out of situations all his life. The drawback to that is it finally becomes what rather than who you are.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Boris is as my mother used to say 'over excitable.' It always means tears before bedtime.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:

By Lord Ashcroft

At the risk of creating another Hannah Waldram moment - how prescient.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ onebuttonmonkey

Oh, yes. Certainly Boris Johnson's popularity is much over-stated, especially by the press. And what popularity he has is mainly concentrated in the London area, and I'm not sure that that translates into being "politically" popular, either. I do sometimes wonder whether he would prove more "politically" popular if he dropped the buffoonery (although that would probably mean that he became popular with a different, numerically larger but more disparate, set of the electorate).
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Watching the clip of Miliband vs. Johnson, and it was very, very telling. Something that lept out at me while watching it (possibly because of all of Cameron's idiotic guff about how fake and inauthentic Miliband is - if only we were all sincere enough to forget which football team we are pretending to support, eh, Dave?) was about the two of them both being part of the politics game and what it meant

Boris clearly only cares about winning the game; really, all he cares about is Boris being a winner. Nothing else matters, really. But Miliband? He looked like someone who knew what the game was being played for - in fact, the reason he's playing the stupid thing seems to be the same as why he thinks its a game worth winning - so he can do something about the world the game's played in.

There's a much less clumsy way to say that that I can't think of right now (the Story about the SNP Ate my Capacity to Think Properly). But that's what I saw when I watched them argue. Boris is exactly the same as Cameron, really because the motivation's the same. Miliband really is coming from a different world, no matter what circles he moves in.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

George Osborne's interview on the World this Weekend

Q: Would you rule out cuts to disability benefits?

Osborne says three principles apply. First, help the vulnerable, and that covers the disabled. Second, they want to ensure work pays. (Guardian Election Blog - my emphasis)

Er - that's two, George. Three's the next one on . . . .
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'm going to hope that print out of the four badgers that was found on the doorstep is a good omen ... badgers will be safer in 11 days time or so.

To be frank - I have an utter dread of waking up to a Conservative 'win' of any sort (and it will be the inconclusive requires skulduggery sort) as that means Mr Riots and I will yet again have to go out into the fields and try to protect badgers from being killed en masse from the most stupid and twisted policy of the coalition government.

I keep jogging myself to do a quick summary of the wonderful seminar we went to last weekend with Professor Bourne - who oversaw the RBCT (randomised bager control trial). I will do so ... because it was epic ... and so was he.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:
George Osborne's interview on the World this Weekend

Q: Would you rule out cuts to disability benefits?

Osborne says three principles apply. First, help the vulnerable, and that covers the disabled. Second, they want to ensure work pays. (Guardian Election Blog - my emphasis)

Er - that's two, George. Three's the next one on . . . .
Osborne's answer completely avoided / flew in the face of the lady just interviewed who was looking after two disabled children who said her life had been made immeasurably more difficult by the coalition measures - one of her children had lost DLA - and she had had to give up working. She couldn't have been more explicit about how badly she thought the Tories and Lib Dems had broken their promises to look after the most vulnerable.

And the interviewer pretty much allowed Osborne to go on his roundabout mantra ridden spiel of denial with no interruption or reality challenge.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Osborne says he has set out some example of changes the Tories propose. And the Tories have a track record of turning around the economy. They have reduced poverty and equality. (Guardian Election Blog - my emphasis)
A mis-type or an Aston Villa moment? Did anyone hear it?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 8m8 minutes ago
Wonder how many Tories still think Boris is their under-used secret weapon after this morning's performance on the Marr sofa?
It was that bad then.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Wonder how many Tories still think Boris is their under-used secret weapon after this morning's performance on the Marr sofa?
It was that bad then.
Miliband was sat there openly laughing at him with a big grin on his face. He knew he'd just gutted Boris like a fish on national TV and it clearly felt good.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Spacedone wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
It was that bad then.
Miliband was sat there openly laughing at him with a big grin on his face. He knew he'd just gutted Boris like a fish on national TV and it clearly felt good.
I wonder if Boris has ever learned there's laughing with, and being laughed at?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

If Murdoch hates the British Establishment so much that he wants to destroy it, why does he not side with us against them?
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

PorFavor wrote:@ onebuttonmonkey

Oh, yes. Certainly Boris Johnson's popularity is much over-stated, especially by the press. And what popularity he has is mainly concentrated in the London area, and I'm not sure that that translates into being "politically" popular, either. I do sometimes wonder whether he would prove more "politically" popular if he dropped the buffoonery (although that would probably mean that he became popular with a different, numerically larger but more disparate, set of the electorate).
There's a genuine question of whether he's really all that bothered, isn't there? I mean he clearly would not object at all to being PM; probably think it's his by rights. But I've always got the feeling he can't be arsed enough to actually do enough to make it happen.
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

tinyclanger2 wrote:If Murdoch hates the British Establishment so much that he wants to destroy it, why does he not side with us against them?
Because he hasn't finished using them to help him milk us of all our money yet.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Just a thought.

Ed hasn't said anything much about Leveson yet. I wonder if he's leaving that one to the last? The papers would be spewing their worst bile just as we're about to go out and vote. They haven't done the Cons any favours so far.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Boris Johnson describes Marr as “a lefty BBC journalist.”

(Graun Blog)

No wonder us "lefties" can't agree on anything.
:shock:
I don't accept that. :rock:
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

graun blog wrote:Nick Clegg was asked to respond to Miliband’s comments that he would not do any sort of deal with the SNP:

"The problem is I don’t know what he’s going to say tomorrow."
Is it too early for the Vermouth?
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I don't have such a downer on Tim Montgomerie as others here. He is often very critical of Cameron and current senior party bods approach and policies. His recent tweets are pretty damning of them ...
Tim Montgomerie ن @montie · 1h 1 hour ago
1/2 Even if Tories win this election and crawl over line - it's been a near-death experience & against Ed Miliband. Massive change necessary

2/2 Tories need to worry less about changing leader and more about party organisation and an offering to low-paid and unpropertied young.

Further to previous 2 Tweets it's about embracing a) @TheGoodRight & b) a separate party operation with 10/15yr plan to rebuild in North etc

Tim Montgomerie ن @montie · 53m 53 minutes ago
Tim Montgomerie ن retweeted Tim Montgomerie ن
...I'd put someone like @LordAshcroft in charge of separate party organisation and learn from projects like @BGTX
Not a great endorsement of either Cameron or Shapps there.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:If Murdoch hates the British Establishment so much that he wants to destroy it, why does he not side with us against them?
Because he hasn't finished using them to help him milk us of all our money yet.
He likes his money. Has just done some sort of tax avoidance thing in Australia but I reckon it's all about the power. He gets off on being the 'power behind the throne'. Probably lies in bed thinking, they couldn't have got there without him.

He's old; it's the only thing he has left.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

onebuttonmonkey wrote:

There's a genuine question of whether he's really all that bothered, isn't there? I mean he clearly would not object at all to being PM; probably think it's his by rights. But I've always got the feeling he can't be arsed enough to actually do enough to make it happen.

So they'd be swapping "Dave" for "Dave II but with hair"?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:
graun blog wrote:Nick Clegg was asked to respond to Miliband’s comments that he would not do any sort of deal with the SNP:

I've just opened a bottle of Sainsbury's cheap gin...Want a drop of that?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinyclanger2 wrote:

I've just heard Nick Clegg say (on BBC News) that, in the event of a hung parliament, he wants to be an anchor. Or something that sounded very much like "anchor".

Edited to add an "s"
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote:

Oh Boris wants the PMs job, make no mistake about that...When young and asked what he wanted to be when he grew up he replied King of the World...And he was quite serious.

There could be a problem though. Osborne wants to be PM too. Had some sort of pact he'd take over when Dave left.

God help us all. God help this country...
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

By Lord Ashcroft

At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, is there any way we can prove the date on that Ashcroft website post is genuinely from 2012 & not later? I admit I don't trust Ashcroft & believe he's not above pulling stunts in order to make himself look a hotshot while his political party crashes & burns.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

I'd like us to have a polite revolution. One with queuing and the occasional Hard Stare, and that ends with proper, clever grown ups, from across the whole country (by which I mean society), running things.

And presenting on the BBC.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ohsocynical wrote:Just a thought.

Ed hasn't said anything much about Leveson yet. I wonder if he's leaving that one to the last? The papers would be spewing their worst bile just as we're about to go out and vote. They haven't done the Cons any favours so far.
Page 69 of the manifesto - full implementation of Leveson:
Attachments
Leveson.png
Leveson.png (41.41 KiB) Viewed 6559 times
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
At the risk of sounding like a conspiracy theorist, is there any way we can prove the date on that Ashcroft website post is genuinely from 2012 & not later? I admit I don't trust Ashcroft & believe he's not above pulling stunts in order to make himself look a hotshot while his political party crashes & burns.
That page was saved by the internet archive in July 2013: http://web.archive.org/web/201307250721 ... on-crosby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I wish people (on TV, radio) would stop saying ", . . . if you like. " Most of the time it's got nothing to bloody do with whether or not I "like" it. (ie It's a matter of fact - not one of interpretation, if you like.)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinyclanger2 wrote:I'd like us to have a polite revolution. One with queuing and the occasional Hard Stare, and that ends with proper, clever grown ups, from across the whole country (by which I mean society), running things.

And presenting on the BBC.
This is one of the best ideas I've ever read - safe & sane.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

And I wish that Nicola Sturgeon would stop going on about getting Scotland's voice heard.

For myself I sometimes I've heard nothing but "Scotland's voice" for the last 2 years, but more to the point, I find it frankly quite rude that she doesn't regard existing Scottish MPs as, well, Scottish.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Iain Duncan Smith: Ed Miliband 'hates marriage'
Ed Miliband “hate[s] marriage” because he only wedded his wife in 2011, according to Iain Duncan Smith.

https://www.politicshome.com/party-poli ... s-marriage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is really really desperate stuff now. :lol:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: At the risk of creating another Hannah Waldram moment - how prescient.
That page was saved by the internet archive in July 2013: http://web.archive.org/web/201307250721 ... on-crosby/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm grateful for this, thank you.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

And I wish that Nicola Sturgeon would stop going on about getting Scotland's voice heard.

For myself I sometimes feel like I've heard nothing but "Scotland's voice" for the last 2 years. But more to the point, I find it frankly quite rude that she doesn't regard existing Scottish MPs as, well, Scottish.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Iain Duncan Smith: Ed Miliband 'hates marriage'
Ed Miliband “hate[s] marriage” because he only wedded his wife in 2011, according to Iain Duncan Smith.

https://www.politicshome.com/party-poli ... s-marriage" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is really really desperate stuff now. :lol:
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

Edit: double post removed. Connection shenanigans, I'm afraid.
Last edited by onebuttonmonkey on Sun 26 Apr, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: At the risk of creating another Hannah Waldram moment - how prescient.
Thank you for the Internet Archive website as well.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

David Cameron on BBC news giving a campaign speech in Somerset. So far I've caught the words "horror" "toxic" "dreams". I think he's doing passion in this speech. Hysterical passion. And Liam Byrne's letter. Oh, and he's a "guy".
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

For myself I sometimes feel like I've heard nothing but "Scotland's voice" for the last 2 years. But more to the point, I find it frankly quite rude that she doesn't regard existing Scottish MPs as, well, Scottish.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tory council candidate apologises for calling Miliband 'the Jew'
https://www.politicshome.com/party-poli ... liband-jew" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
onebuttonmonkey
Committee Chair

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
onebuttonmonkey wrote: There's a genuine question of whether he's really all that bothered, isn't there? I mean he clearly would not object at all to being PM; probably think it's his by rights. But I've always got the feeling he can't be arsed enough to actually do enough to make it happen.

Oh Boris wants the PMs job, make no mistake about that...When young and asked what he wanted to be when he grew up he replied King of the World...And he was quite serious.

There could be a problem though. Osborne wants to be PM too. Had some sort of pact he'd take over when Dave left.

God help us all. God help this country...
This election is very much about whether we'll elect anything - which is why it's important for Osborne and Johnson to stay in the wings and see how short they come before offing Cameron.

I don't doubt Boris wants the job - I do doubt his capacity to remain interested enough in what he has to do to be in a position where he can conceivably get it (rather than simply hanging about and it being given to him). He's not as good as he thinks he is, for all he's much sharper than he pretends to be, and when he loses interest, it's far too obvious to everyone else that he has...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies for the poorly formatted post.
I wasn't able to finish the post properly & not able to get back to the thread.
'General Error' messages
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

We are having database issues with the hosting company. Having trouble accessing their website to check what's going on.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I'm watching Ed Miliband's International Development speech. I'm afraid David Cameron's belated "am-dram" passion just cannot compete.

@ refitman

Thank you for your work on trying to get the site running properly - it's been pretty bad this afternoon. When I read the Election Day Countdown at the top of the page I must confess that I panic a bit as "we" have less time than that to get this site functioning smoothly. I'm guessing that traffic here will increase significantly in the next week or so - do\will we have the capacity to cope?

Thanks again for your efforts which are much appreciated.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Afternoon all,

I thought I'd share a couple of links from the local paper with you. The first is so typical of both the Lib dems and Labour here in Watford. Every election, regardless at what level has a spate of these silly squabbles between the two. Neither party seem to realise that it actually turns the 'floating voters' off both of them. *sigh*

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... _leaflets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As to the second article - I can only ask wtf is the Dotty Mare on?

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... one_visit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Tizme1 wrote:Afternoon all,

I thought I'd share a couple of links from the local paper with you. The first is so typical of both the Lib dems and Labour here in Watford. Every election, regardless at what level has a spate of these silly squabbles between the two. Neither party seem to realise that it actually turns the 'floating voters' off both of them. *sigh*

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... _leaflets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As to the second article - I can only ask wtf is the Dotty Mare on?

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/news/1 ... one_visit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The first one is pretty depressing. The 2nd... words fail.