Monday 27th April 2015 - GE minus 10 days

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 27th April 2015 - GE minus 10 days

Post by yahyah »

She seemed very taken in by the 'Passionate Cameron' crap yesterday.
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 27 Apr, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AS blog:
Estate agents welcome Labour's stamp duty abolition for first-time buyers

The National Association of Estate Agents has welcomed Labour’s plans to abolish stamp duty for first-time buyers on homes worth up to £300,000. This is from its managing director, Mark Hayward.

This could be a real vote swinger for those looking to step on the housing ladder. Scrapping stamp duty for homes under the price of £300,000 would only mean good things for hopeful first time buyers (FTB). For many, hidden costs such as stamp duty can be the difference between being able to afford a home, and not being able to afford one. Our recent research showed that just under a third of house sales were made to first time buyers, and hopefully we’ll see this significantly increase over the next three years.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-election" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm constantly sporting a massive erection, says Dave.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Wipeout for Miliband: new poll shows Labour faces annihilation in Scotland with just one MP north of the border as SNP support swells
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 06695.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Will have to write out my 100 lines again.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

AS blog again:

Sturgeon:
The SNP is being open and honest about our position, that we will work to keep the Tories out and to keep Labour honest.
That phrase really grinds my gears - almost as much as the "lock the Tories out of Downing Street" does.

Who the bloody hell do they think they are !! :fire: :fire: :fire:
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Look at yougov which polls daily. It doesn't matter whether the poll's accurate, the trend is visible. And the trend ain't moving. I ignore any poll which shows the Tories ahead of Labour in Wales. Let's have a look at the crosstabs on this bad boy first.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

mikems wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-election

I'm constantly sporting a massive erection, says Dave.

Eek, I've just eaten my lunch. :sick:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

mikems wrote:
There is no evidence of any increase in land hoarding, and developers do it so that they can maintain a constant level of work (ie they can't afford to sack everyone if they happen t have no land to develop).
Developers are not interested in maintaining a 'constant level of work', though, are they? They are interested in maintaining a constant level of profit, and if they think they will make more profit from restricting supply, they will restrict supply. They will not willingly build if their profits will be reduced. That is stating the obvious.

Housing should not be seen as a market, because it is not. It is rigged, like all other areas of life in the benighted UK, and rigged to benefit one section of society over another.

Criticism of these policies tend to come from the point of view that a real free market currently exists, that it is nearly perfect, and that it will all be ruined if anyone tries to tinker in any way at all. And they tend to come from those who benefit from the status quo - and from billions in public money that goes in subsidy to private landlords.

We used to have a much different housing sector, which has been 'reformed' to the point of our current crisis. We didn't used to need housing benefit of any sort. We had controls on rent instead, and no massive subsidy to the sector. We need 'counter-reform' and Miliband has made a start, even if only in changing perceptions about the inevitability of our current wasteful and bad system of housing the citizens.
Agree with lots of that, but the old system isn't coming back. It depended on bipartisan agreement on building council homes. Without this, then they don't get built. It would take a parliamentary majority and a majority on every council. Even then, it would cost a lot of money in the shorter term (which the opposition could use to buy votes much more effectively). And the opposition would sell lots of the new homes when they came in.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

pk1 wrote:AS blog again:

Sturgeon:
The SNP is being open and honest about our position, that we will work to keep the Tories out and to keep Labour honest.
That phrase really grinds my gears - almost as much as the "lock the Tories out of Downing Street" does.

You've got relatives in Scotland PK...do they think the SNP are wonderful, honest and trustworthy ?

It all looks so tempting unless you are living under their rule.
Those who think Wood and Plaid are non-racist and anti-austerity should witness them close at hand.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Agree with lots of that, but the old system isn't coming back. It depended on bipartisan agreement on building council homes. Without this, then they don't get built. It would take a parliamentary majority and a majority on every council. Even then, it would cost a lot of money in the shorter term (which the opposition could use to buy votes much more effectively). And the opposition would sell lots of the new homes when they came in.
Yes, we need different ways to achieve the same thing, I suppose. But I do think there is still a role for publicly owned housing, even if tories want to flog it off when they get the chance. I wouldn't have opposed right to buy if it had involved one for one replacement. That would bring down prices in the medium to long term anyway and make housing and raising a family more affordable again.

Also, while our old ways of doing things might be gone forever, so too is the mind-set that powered the dreadful 'reforms' that have been inflicted on us all. All this market stuff is not seen as an answer to any sort of problem now.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

It's a pity the people of Britain can't get as excited about banding together as being equally treated like shite as they can about what side of some arbitrary historic boundary they're on regardless of who that leaves them on the same side as.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Patrick Wintour @patrickwintour
· 25m 25 minutes ago
Lord Bell, the Thatcher election guru, says research shows undecided voters fall 2 to one in favour of incumbent. Predicts DC majority.
:lol!:
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 3m 3 minutes ago
On theoretical uniform swing in England+Wales LAB would make 33 gains from CON with ICM but 65 seats with Populus
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:
pk1 wrote:AS blog again:

Sturgeon:

You've got relatives in Scotland PK...do they think the SNP are wonderful, honest and trustworthy ?

It all looks so tempting unless you are living under their rule.
Those who think Wood and Plaid are non-racist and anti-austerity should witness them close at hand.
Tbh, they probably don't vote but if they did, I imagine my younger sister & older brother would vote SNP whilst my half-brother would likely be Lab/LD. My Aunt never votes, my Uncle is SNP. My Mum - well, I wouldn't trust her to tell me it was daylight without checking ;)

I'm pro-union but I'm fed up to the back teeth of the demands & righteousness on display from the SNP & I'm beginning to wish that the 55% had been for independence & that they had to sink or swim on their own. The downside to that of course would be that we in England & Wales would then be lumbered with a Con govt so, on balance, I'm glad they lost !!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
Patrick Wintour @patrickwintour
· 25m 25 minutes ago
Lord Bell, the Thatcher election guru, says research shows undecided voters fall 2 to one in favour of incumbent. Predicts DC majority.
:lol!:
Will that be to match they one he won in 2010 then ?!

:toss:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

SpinningHugo wrote:If that ICM poll is true, it is in many ways bad for the Tories.

The Tories have two, last, faint hopes.

The first is either 'shy Tories' (now adjusted for in polling) or a 1992 style late swing. Neither very likely.

The second is winning back the kippers. The Kippers only got 3% in 2010, and disproportionately hurt the Tories (both because of where they take votes from and what their target seats are). The Tories would be hoping to be eating into the Kipper vote by now.

the opposite has happened. Almost unbelievably the only disernible movement in the polls is a pro-Kipper. A few weeks ago ICM had them on 7%, now 13%.

The last unknown is tactical voting. Can the Tories hold on by persuading people in marginals to abandon their Kipper preferences? That depends on the 'certain to vote' numbers, and those are pro-Kipper.

EM is PM.
Worth pointing out that the Guardian are so confident in the findings of that poll that they have kept comments closed on it, presumably to save their blushes.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:If that ICM poll is true, it is in many ways bad for the Tories.

The first is either 'shy Tories' (now adjusted for in polling) or a 1992 style late swing. Neither very likely.

The second is winning back the kippers. The Kippers only got 3% in 2010, and disproportionately hurt the Tories (both because of where they take votes from and what their target seats are). The Tories would be hoping to be eating into the Kipper vote by now.

the opposite has happened. Almost unbelievably the only disernible movement in the polls is a pro-Kipper. A few weeks ago ICM had them on 7%, now 13%.

The last unknown is tactical voting. Can the Tories hold on by persuading people in marginals to abandon their Kipper preferences? That depends on the 'certain to vote' numbers, and those are pro-Kipper.

EM is PM.
Worth pointing out that the Guardian are so confident in the findings of that poll that they have kept comments closed on it, presumably to save their blushes.

It is an embarrassment for all the papers that the ones with pro-Tory bias are commissioned by the Graun and Observer, pro-Labour Mail and Sun. They should swap firms (although it does make them a bit more believable).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@anne2robertson

Complaints from signators. They did not give permission to publish when they answered on-line questionnaire
We've been laughing at another Tory own goal, but in fact this could be serious...Using people's names without their permission is more than naughty. I read elsewhere that the questionnaire page said their details wouldn't be shared...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

At the risk of incurring the Wrath of Paul, Sturgeon's hubris is a shocker.

If she were a character in a Greek tragedy that overweening ambition would rebound on her in spades. As it did with Clegg, which should be a warning to her.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

Have there been any polls showing Labour leads that give them a majority in the south-east or east anglia? Or are these odd quirks from the polling sub-samples all in the tories' favour?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

From LabourList today
Andrew Neil demolishes “political stunt” Tory letter

Describing it as “Tory propaganda” and “a shambles”, Neil ran through a list of those who were not genuine small business owners:

“Number 13 on this list doesn’t actually own a single share in the company that you have associated, number 23 on the list who is an associate of this company but isn’t a director and doesn’t own any shares, number 39 names somebody not a director or a shareholder, number 40 isn’t a director, doesn’t own any shares. One of the signatories is down as Stanley Ward Conservative Club. It’s a shambles!”

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/andrew-ne ... ry-letter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[link to the video within the article]
[youtube]LRWw9C7Nm9I[/youtube]
Last edited by refitman on Mon 27 Apr, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Admin: video added
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

http://labourlist.org/2015/04/andrew-ne ... ry-letter/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:From LabourList today

Describing it as “Tory propaganda” and “a shambles”, Neil ran through a list of those who were not genuine small business owners:

“Number 13 on this list doesn’t actually own a single share in the company that you have associated, number 23 on the list who is an associate of this company but isn’t a director and doesn’t own any shares, number 39 names somebody not a director or a shareholder, number 40 isn’t a director, doesn’t own any shares. One of the signatories is down as Stanley Ward Conservative Club. It’s a shambles!”

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
[link to the video within the article]
Snap! lol
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Let me introduce you to Bella.
Bella Chilling Out.jpg
Bella Chilling Out.jpg (126.45 KiB) Viewed 7073 times
Bella - our new dog - is going to act as my pollster between now and May 8th. I will be basing my predictions on which way she tugs on the lead ... and which side of her temporary enclosure she mostly tries to make her frequent Houdiniesque escape attempts from. I think she may just give these polling companies a run for their money. As you can see she's got a pretty relaxed attitude to it all.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Andrew Neil demolishes “political stunt” Tory letter

Only a minute between us! Forever vigilant!
RR2 has a new family member, Bella. Handsome canine, congratulations, RR2!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Let me introduce you to Bella.
Bella Chilling Out.jpg
Bella - our new dog - is going to act as my pollster between now and May 8th. I will be basing my predictions on which way she tugs on the lead ... and which side of her temporary enclosure she mostly tries to make her frequent Houdiniesque escape attempts from. I think she may just give these polling companies a run for their money. As you can see she's got a pretty relaxed attitude to it all.

Lovely to meet her ! What a lucky dog to join the loving Riots household.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

She's a lucky lady, as are you :)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

louise martin @louisemartin25 · 20m 20 minutes ago
Turns out two West Yorks Cons PPCs are among the 5000 small business owners who've signed the letter on the front of Telegraph #GE2015

Jane Salisbury @GothicBlue · 51m 51 minutes ago
@will_sparling @peterjukes @mediaguardian there is a Tory MP signing for a charity he is Chair of.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:
Bella Chilling Out.jpg

Lovely to meet her ! What a lucky dog to join the loving Riots household.
She's been leading the Riots household a merry dance for a month now .... fetched direct from Ireland by Mr Riots ... possibly the shortest turnaround ferry trip ever. Part of my having less time to be on FTN has been down to her needing rather intensive looking after as she arrived with rather a lot of health stuff to sort out and some behavioural issues such as not being house or cat trained. She then compounded everything by coming into season a week after arriving - so we've been having all sorts of fun managing her alongside our other 'full' dog. We think we're just coming towards the end of that now ... thank goodness.

She's come on in leaps and bounds and, bit of a very welcome surprise, seems to have got back most of the sight in her damaged eye so probably won't need an operation on it. Just the spaying then .... as soon as possible.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Splendid work being done in the comments on Zelo Street on the Tory business letter.

One of the signatories seems to be up for a criminal trial. Also a couple of people who don't seem to employ anyone- one is trying to flog a self-published book.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Is the Tory PPC who signed up on behalf of a charity he chairs breaking the Lobbying Act?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:

EM is PM.
From the article without any comments below the line allowed regarding the polling data, 'some more good news for Labour' & the conclusion:
...smaller sub-sample of the poll that comes from battleground seats in England and Wales. These are defined as those that Labour won by no more than 10 percentage points in 2010, or the Conservatives won by no more than 15 points.

Labour is running at 40% in these seats, which is up four points on 2010, while the Tories are on 36%, which is down two points. Some caution is needed because the sample in this case is fairly small, but this would suggest the swing to Labour is slightly stronger in these swing seats than across Britain as a whole.

• ICM Unlimited interviewed a random sample of 1,004 adults aged 18+ by telephone on 24-26 April 2015. Interviews were conducted across the country, and the results have been weighted to the profile of all adults. ICM is a member of the British Polling Council and abides by its rules.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... n-icm-poll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:louise martin @louisemartin25 · 20m 20 minutes ago
Turns out two West Yorks Cons PPCs are among the 5000 small business owners who've signed the letter on the front of Telegraph #GE2015

Jane Salisbury @GothicBlue · 51m 51 minutes ago
@will_sparling @peterjukes @mediaguardian there is a Tory MP signing for a charity he is Chair of.
What a total sham that keeping politics out of policing rubbish from the Tories was ...

We were told our Police & Crime Commissioner sent a letter on Conservative Party letterhead when responding to an enquiry from a concerned resident.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

[quote
GeorgeMonbiot
‏@GeorgeMonbiot
Just back from 9 days in the Highlands, meeting land managers to talk about the potential for #rewilding. A great shift is beginning.[/quote]

I guess he's given up on Wales and Plaid. They weren't impressed before.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Bella Chilling Out.jpg
Oh she's beautiful...Well done.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Some of the companies don't exist.

http://usvsth3m.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... AS19lX.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

So in the last few days we have seen Labour suspend a candidate having been found guilty of drink-driving; a LD candidate suspended over allegations that he falsified his council nomination papers; a DUP health minister resign following his homophobic comments & now a tory candidate suspended over her anti-semitic remarks about Ed Miliband.

The notable exception is the SNP candidate who is still the candidate despite condemning elderly voters for “barely knowing their own name”, describeing MPs on Facebook as “paedophiles, taxdodgers, perjurers and thieves” & who likened No voters to Nazis by calling them “Quislings”.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

john spellar ‏@spellar 5m5 minutes ago
student Green vote collapsing as they get found out http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... ent-votes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I've just read that piece and didn't spot any evidence for this assertion ... did I read it too quickly ... anyone?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Oh dear. Seem to be a few duplicates.

AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
student Green vote collapsing as they get found out http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... ent-votes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
I've just read that piece and didn't spot any evidence for this assertion ... did I read it too quickly ... anyone?
It's from here...(a link in the article)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... onths.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

They are using a link to this Mail article presumably to justify it.
Mmm...maybe the Mail may be right occasionally ;)

''Students fall out of love with the Green Party as number who say they dislike Natalie Bennett DOUBLES in seven months
Support for Greens on campuses falls from 28% to 15% in two months
Dramatic slump means the Tories as well as Labour are now more popular
Since September, percentage who dislike Natalie Bennett doubled to 24%''

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3YWBsBI80" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
It's from here...(a link in the article)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... onths.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That article in the Spectator is by the editor of Spiked. File under ignore.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Re ICM poll
They have now published two sets of figures on their website (this week and last week) simultaneously.
http://www.icmunlimited.com/data/media/ ... npoll3.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is this weeks data and is not that remarkable other than to say topline poll sample is shown as 1004 but scrutiny shows voting intention based on a weighted base of just 547 people : of which 195 are CONS and 177 are LAB (37 LD, 28 SNP, 75 UKIP & 31 Green)
Take it which ever way you want (regional variation and age distribution seem correct but on a very low sample).
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Steffan John ‏@steffanjohn 14 mins14 minutes ago
@MSmithsonPB Btw, the average sample size of polls since April 16th giving Lab lead is 1828. The Con lead ones is 1325. All 2000+ are Lab.
That says it all really. The largest the sample size (and therefore the smaller the margin of error) the more likely it is to favour Labour regardless of weighting.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Oh dear. Seem to be a few duplicates.

Well that can't be true because that nice Karen Brady says all the signatures have been verified!
Baroness Karren Brady dismissed claims that businesses had been "ambushed" in to signing a letter on the Conservatives' website supporting the party's business policies.
Asked about a company, Aurum Solutions, who deny ever signing the letter, Baroness Brady said the software firm "did sign it".

They've signed it at 10 past nine on a Friday evening. Perhaps the person who signed it wasn't allowed to, I'm not sure. But every single person who signed the letter has been verified."
So even if you are not allowed to sign the document the entry will be verified!
Edited twice to make it read something like English!
Last edited by rearofthestore on Mon 27 Apr, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Spacedone wrote:
@MSmithsonPB Btw, the average sample size of polls since April 16th giving Lab lead is 1828. The Con lead ones is 1325. All 2000+ are Lab.
That says it all really. The largest the sample size (and therefore the smaller the margin of error) the more likely it is to favour Labour regardless of weighting.
The larger the number of people polled, the more likely the result will be Labour leading.
On 7 May 2015 the people will be asked to vote at their polling stations.
Please vote Labour.
Thank you.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Some of the signees.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

citizenJA wrote:
Spacedone wrote:
The larger the number of people polled, the more likely the result will be Labour leading.
On 7 May 2015 the people will be asked to vote at their polling stations.
Please vote Labour.
Thank you.
I live in the extreme marginal of High Peak which may be decided by just a handful of votes. Mrs RotS and I have today voted so ours are already in the ballot box so to speak. First really marginal seat vote I have cast since Colne Valley in 1974.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Prof. Roger Scully has a piece about polling in Wales, says the next Welsh Political Barometer poll will be out on the evening of May 6th. On the 7th we'll get it for real.

There's a gut wrenching reminder that Labour were polling at 51% in 2012 but only 40% in early April this year.
UKIP were only on 5.7% in 2012, now outpolling Plaid at 13%.

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinw ... have-said/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;