Saturday 2nd, Sunday 3rd & Monday 4th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 2nd & Sunday 3rd May 2015

Post by tinyclanger2 »

utopiandreams wrote:David Cameron has finally told William and Kate they have no cause for concern as long as he remains Prime Minister. He guaranteed there was no truth in Labour's horrid rumour that their family shall lose any of its benefits should he remain in Downing Street. He wished them the prosperous future that a deserving, hard-working family such as theirs can expect, which is only possible by sticking to the long term economic plan. He also let slip that he deserved credit for two royal births during his term of office, proof positive of his great achievement to rebuild the country.
You must be pretty hard-working if you need a nanny for each baby.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Good soggy Sunday morning. :D

Shock horror news headline -
Woman takes new born baby home - nothing happens. :o
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Swarthlander wrote:Good soggy Sunday morning. :D

Shock horror news headline -
Woman takes new born baby home - nothing happens. :o
Yes, and the Mail, not known for going completely over the top, has a pic of the midwives with the caption:
The unsung heroines of the Royal birth were midwives Arona Ahmed (right) and her boss, Jacqui Dunkley-Bent (left)
:roll:

I know my other half is a midwife but they're only doing their jobs...and at a bit over 2 hours sounds straightforward.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just looking at Peter Jukes' tweets.

Looks as if the Sun has been tracking down the family of the youngster who started up Milifandom.

Think she's spooked at Murdoch's goons getting her and her nan's address.
Poor lass.
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Good blog post from the LSE on why the Fixed Term Parliament Act introduced by the Coalition has made it quite possible for Labour to run a minority Government if necessary and why the many threats and predictions of doom from various sources are unlikely to happen.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolic ... to-govern/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

yahyah wrote:Just looking at Peter Jukes' tweets.

Looks as if the Sun has been tracking down the family of the youngster who started up Milifandom.

Poor lass.
I read her tweets to Rupert Murdoch last night. Pretty shocking that they could think it was acceptable to doorstep a child, particularly over something so silly. Not that IPSO will do a thing about it...

And how they got their address is an interesting question. There's certainly no public interest excuse that would justify doing so.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all. I could only manage the first 30 seconds or so of this. The moment hamface came in with his declaiming impending chaos voice I was off ... so I can't tell you what Ian Dunt finds so hilarious about it I'm afraid.
Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 11m11 minutes ago
Tory broadcast typical of their campaign: negative, lacking humanity and unintentionally hilarious " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning all. I could only manage the first 30 seconds or so of this. The moment hamface came in with his declaiming impending chaos voice I was off ... so I can't tell you what Ian Dunt finds so hilarious about it I'm afraid.
Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 11m11 minutes ago
Tory broadcast typical of their campaign: negative, lacking humanity and unintentionally hilarious " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cameron does something weird with his face right at the end when he says "vote conservative". Maybe that's the bit he found unintentionally hilarious. It made me laugh anyway. I didn't think the clock thing as a metaphor for the economy was particularly effective either.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Spacedone
Whip

Post by Spacedone »

Looks like Andrew Marr is back to being a Tory mouthpiece.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Interesting, this Nat extremist trying to organise against Ed's Glasgow visit:

Also tweeted elsewhere: 'Melissa didn't know as we were careful not to mention SNP or wear SNP badges.'

Is that what the Nats call 'vibrant democracy' ? New politics indeed.
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 03 May, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Clegg's positioning for another coalition with the Tories could not be more obvious if he started wearing a bi-coloured rosette. A referendum on Europe - without any major changes - isn't on his red line list.

Please Sheffield Hallam - do everything you can to get this man out of positioning power.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Oh this simpering woman on Radio 4 saying a royal baby will make everyone feel isn't this country great and give a bounce to the Conservatives .... F OFF.

Editing to add: Can we expect to see Sam Cam making a few appearances with a slight lower tummy bulge in the last few days of the campaign - a little bit more turning side on in her moves, and more cosying up to Dave - just the merest suggestion of .... not the reality? Sorry - I know I'm being nasty but I can't bear this hijacking of a basically normal process and turning it into some kind of political miracle.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Sun 03 May, 2015 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I hadn''t realised 'board pinching' was quite a thing at election time. I'm seeing a fair few tweets about boards having disappeared from people's properties - watching Labour tweets.

Yesterday we chatted to a long term Labour member in Fishguard who was furious that his big board for Labour had been removed from his garden. Given how few places in the towns and villages really have the opportunity to have big boards - in contrast to the open fields where Crabb boards can be and are put up in abundance - this seems to smack of real pettiness.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

The problem is that the democratic ‘crisis’ we’ve been hearing shrill hysterical whining about for the last few weeks isn’t the real crisis we are faced with. England has no democratic crisis, being able to ALWAYS elect the government it wants.
http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2015/05/01 ... belonging/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marr quoted this site on his show. They only have to look at the polling patterns in different parts of the country to see that this is not the case. Nationalism fuels so much hatred. Terrible.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 3m3 minutes ago
We can see the chances of a Lib/Lab deal shrinking in front on our eyes on the Marr sofa as Yvette Cooper goes 4 Clegg repeatedly over fees
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 3m3 minutes ago
Victory for #nomoremusiconmarr campaign..? Unedifying sofa bun fight between Cooper, Clegg and Farage but at least it was politics

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2m2 minutes ago
Cooper will also be delighted Clegg refused to rule out further rise in tuition fees.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mr Riots bought a bottle of brandy in Aldi yesterday. I think he's stocking up on essentials for election night and, possibly, the day after. Whether it's for celebrating or consoling - it will come in useful.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Found this quite useful. Sets out the numbers of seats range for each party - including the more minor parties - and what it might mean ...
Election night guide: the vital signs to look out for as the counts roll in
How many seats do Labour or the Conservatives need to rule the roost in a hung parliament – and when will we know whether they have them?

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ts-roll-in" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The first true target to report will be Nuneaton at about 1am, a traditionally Labour-leaning seat needing a 2.3-point swing. Labour will look for a comfortable win. Northampton North and Carmarthen West & South Pembrokeshire will provide two more early markers – the first is a must-win, while victory in the latter will point to a swing above 4 points and a strong night south of Hadrian’s wall.

Labour eyes will turn north about 2am, as the first formerly safe Labour Scottish seats report. Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath is the one to watch: the loss of the ultra-safe seat where Gordon Brown is stepping down would be a massive blow to morale and would point to an SNP landslide. By about 3am enough Scottish seats will be in to give Labour a clear sense of what is needed in England and Wales, so attention will return to the south of the border.

The declarations will accelerate as the night wears on, with nearly 200 results expected between 3am and 4am. Must-wins for Labour include Enfield North, Erewash and Croydon Central, while wins in Pendle, High Peak or Vale of Glamorgan will point to a good night for the party. If the result is close, all eyes will be on late-reporting Lib Dem seats such as Bradford East, Birmingham Yardley and Cardiff Central, where Labour wins could help tip the balance.

Key numbers

Good (>290) Labour join with Lib Dems, Plaid, Greens and SDLP - not SNP.

Bad (260-290) Labour would have to depend in some form on SNP.

Awful (<260) Miliband can’t reach the magic number even including SNP.
rearofthestore
Committee Member

Post by rearofthestore »

The full data for last night's YouGov poll (which gave CONS 1% lead over LAB) have now been published
Biggish Data sample as always with YouGov - 1967
Things that stand out: Before weighting CON have a slightly larger lead of 1.9% but this is because
from the sampling (before weighting) disproportionately taken from South of England (but excluding London) with 35% of the total GB sample from that region.
Again from the sampling (before weighting) disproportionately from age group 60+ accounts for 37% of total sample.
Voting intention in age group 18-24 after weighting only shows Labour lead of 1% and Voting intention after weighting in London only shows Labour lead of 2% (Con 36% Lab 38%)
Because sample distribution is so strangely skewed even the weightings are likely to produce a less accurate result IMO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Poor lass.
Tom Watson has offered help if she needs it.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LabourUnited ‏@LabourUnited 2 hrs2 hours ago

Experts predict 292 seats for #miliband #labour & drop to 274 for #cameron #tories Ed cd b nr Maj
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ohsocynical wrote:
SpinningHugo ‏@SpinningHugo 50 secs50 seconds ago
@sunny_hundal @anonmugwump @JenDtweeting That is mostly wrong unfortunately.
Try
https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... in-talbot/
https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... d-budgets/
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rearofthestore wrote:The full data for last night's YouGov poll (which gave CONS 1% lead over LAB) have now been published
Biggish Data sample as always with YouGov - 1967
Things that stand out: Before weighting CON have a slightly larger lead of 1.9% but this is because
from the sampling (before weighting) disproportionately taken from South of England (but excluding London) with 35% of the total GB sample from that region.
Again from the sampling (before weighting) disproportionately from age group 60+ accounts for 37% of total sample.
Voting intention in age group 18-24 after weighting only shows Labour lead of 1% and Voting intention after weighting in London only shows Labour lead of 2% (Con 36% Lab 38%)
Because sample distribution is so strangely skewed even the weightings are likely to produce a less accurate result IMO.
My hunch was it was a "pro-Tory" sample - the next few YouGov's (assuming they *are* out tonight and Mon) will be in a "holiday" period thus slightly unreliable. Apart from that I don't expect anything polling wise until Tuesday now?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rabih Chaaban ‏@ChaabanRabih 12 minutes ago Newcastle Upon Tyne, England

Ukip finally admit there are only 10 seats they have any hope of winning!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z3Z1POzkj4
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

refitman wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF.

Not staying up to watch the fight?

Kate and wotsit at it already, are they? I suppose that's the stress of having only one nanny. I hope Nanny #2 gets their skates on then, or there'll be ructions.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal 21 mins ago
Nigel Farage is now u-turning live on murnaghan - implies he will still be around next week even if he loses in South Thanet

David Head ‏@DavidHeadViews 17 mins ago
@sunny_hundal
Farage has probably been inspired by the example of Sturgeon: pulling House of Commons strings from outside parliament.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

At dinner with Iain Duncan Smith, even the fine wine couldn’t wash away the taste in my mouth

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/20 ... e-my-mouth
A few days old, but did we read this?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4 hrs4 hours ago

The 4% LAB lead to Survation's ballot paper voting question is just 1% short of what's required for a majority
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:Sunny Hundal ‏@sunny_hundal 21 mins ago
Nigel Farage is now u-turning live on murnaghan - implies he will still be around next week even if he loses in South Thanet

David Head ‏@DavidHeadViews 17 mins ago
@sunny_hundal
Farage has probably been inspired by the example of Sturgeon: pulling House of Commons strings from outside parliament.
It would help if the MSM made more clear that Sturgeon isn't actually standing in this election. But I suppose that wouldn't suit the anti-Labour/Ed agenda of many amongst them?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

The MoS have got that idiot in the audience on Thursday that though that not selling gold would have lessened the impact of the recession to write an article. Needless to say the commenters lap it up.
As I suggested to the Labour leader, if I get to the end of the week and find I don’t have enough money for a pint, then I’ve spent too much. Simple. But when I asked him to accept that that’s what the last Labour Government did, he just refused to do so, or take responsibility for the profligacy of the administration in which he served.

Rather than admit that, he lied.
He and his henchman Ed Balls want to perpetuate the myth that the country went bankrupt solely as result of the global financial crisis. There was indeed such a crisis, but the question I ask myself is this: Would the UK have still gone bust without it?

The answer is yes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... night.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yeah, countries really do go bust when their debt to GDP ratio is under 40% and the deficit is under 3%.

:toss:
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4 hrs4 hours ago

The 4% LAB lead to Survation's ballot paper voting question is just 1% short of what's required for a majority
I would love to believe it, but I don't.

I worry that we may have a re-run of 92 given the media spin. Labour needs to push hard on the don't risk David Cameron line.

They need to find a way of hammering that message home, but how do you cut through all the SNP/ hung parliament bullshit.
Release the Guardvarks.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

All this nationalist crap is making me feel physically sick.
As if oil hadn't already caused enough damage.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
James Forsyth ‏@JGForsyth 3m3 minutes ago
We can see the chances of a Lib/Lab deal shrinking in front on our eyes on the Marr sofa as Yvette Cooper goes 4 Clegg repeatedly over fees
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 3m3 minutes ago
Victory for #nomoremusiconmarr campaign..? Unedifying sofa bun fight between Cooper, Clegg and Farage but at least it was politics

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2m2 minutes ago
Cooper will also be delighted Clegg refused to rule out further rise in tuition fees.
Cooper going for Clegg does not mean no Lib/Lab deal - just no Lib/Lab deal where Clegg is still leader.

I don't see how any leader who loses more than half his party's support in five years and potentially halves the number of seats can possibly remain in charge anyway. IMO he only avoided some kind of challenge last time when the loss of three seats was balanced by a slight increase in the share of the vote and a certain amount of goodwill following 'Cleggmania'.
He could also have been challenged after last year's Euro election disaster - by all accounts it was a close run thing.

Losing their last MEP would probably have triggered it.......
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Spacedone wrote:Good blog post from the LSE on why the Fixed Term Parliament Act introduced by the Coalition has made it quite possible for Labour to run a minority Government if necessary and why the many threats and predictions of doom from various sources are unlikely to happen.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolic ... to-govern/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It really is not good. Talbot has got this hopelessly wrong.

See a constitutional lawyer

http://publiclawforeveryone.com/2015/04 ... in-talbot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and, if really desperate, me

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... in-talbot/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://spinninghugo.wordpress.com/2015 ... d-budgets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rabih Chaaban ‏@ChaabanRabih 13 mins ago Newcastle Upon Tyne, England

In London, the Tories are throwing the towel
Hampstead & Kilburn no longer a target seat admit Tory minister

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1175917 ... pstead-and" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Utopiandreams might like this site.

http://cameron-cloggysmoralcompass.blog ... onomy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

9 April 2015

Labour today turned its guns on David Cameron’s most powerful aide for "being involved with a network of offshore interests" that could be used to avoid tax.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics ... 64743.html
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

File this one under "Truth is stranger than fiction". Among the local council seats being contested on Thursday is the Wombwell Ward of Barnsley Metropolitan Council and the UKIP candidate for the seat will be a Mr Wayne Kerr!!

https://www.barnsley.gov.uk/media/36780 ... l_ward.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
CEEiGchWAAAI_8w.jpg
CEEiGchWAAAI_8w.jpg (53.86 KiB) Viewed 6837 times
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Cameron is urging Tory activists to remind voters about the government’s record. (Guardian Election Blog)
Now whose judgement is in doubt?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just to say I'm still concerned about the slowness and erratic behaviour of this site - especially for election night and day after. Sorry admin, I know you have worked on it and upgraded and I really thank you for that but I'm still getting frequent snails pace operation and odd things like complete freezes happening. Anyone else?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ohsocynical wrote:Utopiandreams might like this site.

http://cameron-cloggysmoralcompass.blog ... onomy.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks. ohso. My granddaughter has recently had me spinning so much I lose all sense of direction, but nothing can compare to Dave's finely crafted art of spin that deserves every recognition and demonstrates no moral compass whatsoever.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Just to say I'm still concerned about the slowness and erratic behaviour of this site - especially for election night and day after. Sorry admin, I know you have worked on it and upgraded and I really thank you for that but I'm still getting frequent snails pace operation and odd things like complete freezes happening. Anyone else?

I'm afraid so. And I echo your thanks.

Edited to replace a comma with a full stop.
Last edited by PorFavor on Sun 03 May, 2015 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

Cameron says Millibands pledge stone should question his judgement..................Andy Coulson anyone?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Spacedone wrote:

Poor lass.
I read her tweets to Rupert Murdoch last night. Pretty shocking that they could think it was acceptable to doorstep a child, particularly over something so silly. Not that IPSO will do a thing about it...

And how they got their address is an interesting question. There's certainly no public interest excuse that would justify doing so.

Abby will be absolutely fine. She has a future in politics or just about anything else - bright kid.

Tom Watson has offered to help her out if need be; John Cooper QC (barrister, human rights specialist, chairman of the League Against Cruel Sports, politician, broadcaster) is in touch with Abby now to protect her interests.

Whilst I hope that she doesn't become (for her own sanity) too much of a cause celebre, she has got her head screwed on the right way and is apparently not the least bit intimidated by what's been going on - she's been Tweeting old Rupe himself to tell him what she thinks.

All this started because she felt (as many do) that Ed was being deliberately misrepresented in the media. She decided to something about it (as many haven't - me included) and I don't think she had any idea how it would take off.

I think she has handled it brilliantly for one so young; the behaviour of the gutter press hacks proves her point.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Osborne says Miliband's pledges stone marks a 'Sheffield rally' moment for Labour (Guardian Election Blog)
That actually hurts (me, that is to say).
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4 hrs4 hours ago

I would love to believe it, but I don't.

I worry that we may have a re-run of 92 given the media spin. Labour needs to push hard on the don't risk David Cameron line.

They need to find a way of hammering that message home, but how do you cut through all the SNP/ hung parliament bullshit.
Famous last words and everything, but I don't think this is another 1992 situation:

1) the polls were clearly wrong then (partly due to relying on outdated 1981 census data) their methodology is now almost obsessive about not "overstating" Labour - just note how most polling "adjustments" (most recently Populus this past week) tend to favour the Tories;

2) it is easily forgotten the Tories dropped 40 seats then - if that happens this week Cameron's goose is well and truly cooked;

3) back then the Tories still had a formidable ground game, but in many ways it was their last hurrah in that respect; tales of them having to import activists into key marginals and pay people to do stuff for them are legion - leaving them ever more reliant on the slavish backing of a captive print media, whose circulation and monopoly on "facts" has markedly declined since 1992 (in many ways the absolute height of their power)

4) the fearmongering over "scary Scots will take all your money and rape your children" has surely influenced everybody it can by now, and Labour has moved to counter it (going hard on the SNP's barely hidden desire for a quick second referendum is another smart move, on both sides of the border) If the Tories have nothing else in the closing days, stick a fork in them they're done. The royal baby may actually not have arrived at a terribly convenient time for them.....

Peter Kellner's latest forecast (Con 35 Lab 32) is the absolute *worst* I can see Labour doing now - and even that is very likely to leave Cam staggering on with a highly unstable minority government. If we get our vote out - and a high turnout from younger voters generally - Ed is PM :)
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Loving this pledge stone thing. It has got the Tories running around in circles shouting about Ed's judgement (which, obviously, gives everybody a chance to say "Andy Coulson?) and stopped them talking about the SNP; whether it is a dead cat or a happy accident I don't know, but I seriously doubt it is the "Sheffield rally moment" they have been desperately praying for all campaign.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Hope so Anatoly.

I don't get to see that many people, because of where we live.

But am not wasting any opportunity to remind everyone I can that Labour need the highest total % vote as well as winning seats.
So remind everyone you can that even if they are in a 'Labour really can't win here' seat, or don't need to vote tactically to keep a Tory out, then vote Labour to get the best % figure.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Pledge stone ?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Loving this pledge stone thing. It has got the Tories running around in circles shouting about Ed's judgement (which, obviously, gives everybody a chance to say "Andy Coulson?) and stopped them talking about the SNP; whether it is a dead cat or a happy accident I don't know, but I seriously doubt it is the "Sheffield rally moment" they have been desperately praying for all campaign.
Yes - I'm not particularly enthused by the stone idea itself (Alex Salmond first did it with tuition fees) but like you I think it's great benefit is that it has taken the focus away from the endless SNP propping up stuff. And for that I thank whoever big time.