Thursday 7th May

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Thursday 7th May

Post by yahyah »

This is why we have to win, and hold Ed to his word if we do.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Poll by @survation has glimmer of hope for Labour: undecideds have been breaking 31%Lab, 23%Con
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

News from the polling station and if it raises just one smile it shall have been worth the posting. Despite my youngest lad's reluctance to vote I suggested he cast one anyway given that others had struggled to earn him such rights. Afterwards he commented on my having crashed into or kicked the table behind which the adjudicators sat, not that I could remember but then recalled that indeed I had and duly apologised. Apparently the guy sitting there remarked to my son that I was in a hurry, to which he instantly replied, "He's been waiting five years for this."

@rebeccariots2

I asked whether the other polling station was still in use and told it was. Someone who lived nearby had been in earlier chuntering about having to go there after walking by the one I was at. Though I'm not decrying the registration débacle this government have caused.

Edit: removed reporting our votes. The G moderated similar comment so I reposted the first para. I assume that's okay.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 07 May, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Diane Abbott retweeted
Sophie Masters ‏@MarmiteMasters 2h2 hours ago Camden Town, London
@HackneyAbbott turned away from polling station, 2 hours of chaos at Hackney town hall. Many people leaving with no resolution and no vote.
That doesn't sound at all good.
Working on the wild side.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Anyone else registered with Opinium ?

I had a survey from them today to be completed after voting, asking who I voted for and at what time.

Wonder if it will be used for an exit poll or info sold to the political parties ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Ruth Davidson MSP ✔@RuthDavidsonMSP
Disturbing reports of people being turned away from an Annan polling station by burly blokes if they say they don't support a certain party.

Any confirmation of this ?
Would have thought with mobile phones pics could be taken to show it if it happened.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 3m3 minutes ago
If final result is Lab 35 - Con 34 (ICM) then the two main parties are very much not dead - combined vote share up.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dear @PaulfromYorkshire

Dry with sunny spells here so far .... The Gods are smiling on Ed. :D
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Anger over SNP aide exposed as a cybernat
http://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish- ... 3/TextView
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
yahyah wrote:I see the Guardian have given Scot Nat Irvine Welsh a lot of space to spout against Labour, and whinge about the English party.
Walsh is just a complete arse.

A chip on his shoulder the size of France and no interest in the actual interests of the people who live in Scotland.
Which point he did not appreciate when I mentioned it on Twitter!!! :rofl: :toss:

Afternoon all. Busy old day today, hospital appointment first thing (the old ticker still works, even when they make me run uphill), a few jobs to do in town and a couple of hours helping out in one of the wards who were short of volunteers; I was telling (getting voting card numbers) and am happy to report a good turnout, lots of young voters and a goodly number who made straight for me when they saw the rosette (which is, apparently, a good sign) - we know we can't take Maidstone (the hope is we can get a significant increase on last time) but the buzz was that we stood a good chance of taking that ward from the LDs. And apparently Helen Grant, who took over from Ann Widdecombe, is in serious danger of losing her seat to the Lib Dems.

If that level of turnout (busier than usual I was told) is indicative of what is happening nationwide then that could bode well for Labour's fortunes. Fingers very crossed.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Kevin Cecil ‏@kevcecil 16 hrs16 hours ago

It's cool how Lib Dem MPs can be used in Conservative or Labour governments. They're like blank Scrabble tiles.
Best description yet!!!
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ohsocynical wrote:Dear @PaulfromYorkshire

Dry with sunny spells here so far .... The Gods are smiling on Ed. :D
I'm in between you two and it keeps chucking it down. Loads of black clouds all around.
Still there were 5 ducklings with their mum on the canal this morning. :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ben Wegg-Prosser ‏@wpbenjamin 17m17 minutes ago
At least 200 people out on streets of Hallam for @olivercoppard. Anyone in Sheffield with a few hours to spare pls come out and help #Labour
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
yahyah wrote:I see the Guardian have given Scot Nat Irvine Welsh a lot of space to spout against Labour, and whinge about the English party.
Walsh is just a complete arse.

A chip on his shoulder the size of France and no interest in the actual interests of the people who live in Scotland.
Which point he did not appreciate when I mentioned it on Twitter!!! :rofl: :toss:

Afternoon all. Busy old day today, hospital appointment first thing (the old ticker still works, even when they make me run uphill), a few jobs to do in town and a couple of hours helping out in one of the wards who were short of volunteers; I was telling (getting voting card numbers) and am happy to report a good turnout, lots of young voters and a goodly number who made straight for me when they saw the rosette (which is, apparently, a good sign) - we know we can't take Maidstone (the hope is we can get a significant increase on last time) but the buzz was that we stood a good chance of taking that ward from the LDs. And apparently Helen Grant, who took over from Ann Widdecombe, is in serious danger of losing her seat to the Lib Dems.

If that level of turnout (busier than usual I was told) is indicative of what is happening nationwide then that could bode well for Labour's fortunes. Fingers very crossed.
At first I thought you meant hospital wards and things were even worse than I thought in the NHS.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Glad to hear the hospital appointment went well Grim Squeaker.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Diane Abbott ‏@HackneyAbbott 1m1 minute ago
Spent months persuading people to register to vote. Now Hackney council completely messes things up. Made no contingency for the numbers.
Hackney council has had five years to prepare for this election. But today it is chaos.#lettingdownthepeopleofHackney
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Thu 07 May, 2015 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Spent months persuading people to register to vote. Now Hackney council completely messes things up. Made no contingency for the numbers.

Labour council too, very disappointing :(
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Roses By Tony Benn.jpg
Kerry McCarthy ‏@KerryMP 3m3 minutes ago
Someone has left roses by Tony Benn on my office wall. @hilarybennmp
Brought a lump to my throat.
I will admit to a tear in my eye. The man rocked. :rock:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:Glad to hear the hospital appointment went well Grim Squeaker.
Just a prelim to a proper appointment in a couple of weeks time, had an echocardiogram and then they wired me up & put me on a treadmill; they all seemed happy enough, and I coped with a pretty strenous workout on the treadmill with no twinges, so I'm happy too.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:Ruth Davidson MSP ✔@RuthDavidsonMSP
Disturbing reports of people being turned away from an Annan polling station by burly blokes if they say they don't support a certain party.

Would have thought with mobile phones pics could be taken to show it if it happened.
The council has responded to her:
@dgcouncil
@RuthDavidsonMSP No burly blokes outside Annan. Officers and police visiting frequently. No complaints re canvassers.

Last edited by pk1 on Thu 07 May, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Philip Cowley ‏@philipjcowley 2m2 minutes ago
Either 2015 joins 1992 and 1970 as polling disasters - or Ed Miliband is going to become Prime Minister.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Double post!
Last edited by utopiandreams on Thu 07 May, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Willow904 wrote:... This is why, despite checking I was registered online at least twice, I was still relieved when our polling cards turned up. I know you don't need your polling card when you vote, but it's your proof of registration for and entitlement to vote in, any particular election so if it doesn't arrive before polling day it's a big warning sign that you may not be properly registered. Again, I don't think there has been enough info about the changes to electoral registration just as there hasn't been with anything this slapdash coalition have done. Significantly, I think those who tend to register by form rather than online may be the most affected, especially if they've moved address recently.
I entirely agree, Willow. Having said that as I passed my card to the adjudicators I remarked that I realised it wasn't necessary but did make it easier for them, to which they agreed.

Edit: have been called out by my eldest so shall have to catch up later.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Labour Supporters from All Walks of Life.jpg
Labour Supporters from All Walks of Life.jpg (82.59 KiB) Viewed 7522 times
@SarahChampionMP
Out canvassing in Leamington Spa for Lynnette Kelly - Labour supporters from all walks of life!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Oh that's lovely RR.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

pk1 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Ruth Davidson MSP ✔@RuthDavidsonMSP

The council has responded to her:
@dgcouncil
@RuthDavidsonMSP No burly blokes outside Annan. Officers and police visiting frequently. No complaints re canvassers.

Very naughty, those SNP boards shouldn't be there. You are not supposed to have party signs on polling station grounds.

Not exactly intimidation though.
Release the Guardvarks.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Good point TE.

Hope someone will take it up with the person in charge of overseeing elections there.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote: Very naughty, those SNP boards shouldn't be there. You are not supposed to have party signs on polling station grounds.

Not exactly intimidation though.
Is that a Tory board on the left too ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/_ ... -rc-ca.pdf

3.3.Tellers should not display or distribute referendum material (e.g. billboards,
posters, placards or pamphlets) on walls or around the polling place. Any
display of such material should be brought to the attention of the Presiding
Officer immediately

That's for the referendum, would be surprised if any different for a general election.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The sun is shining again.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

yahyah wrote:http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/_ ... -rc-ca.pdf

3.3.Tellers should not display or distribute referendum material (e.g. billboards,
Officer immediately

That's for the referendum, would be surprised if any different for a general election.
Just sent them a tweet:

@dgcouncil Should those SNP boards in photo to @RuthDavidsonMSP not be removed in acc with 3.3 of EC guidance ? http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/_ ... -rc-ca.pdf … …
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Rich Fulcher ‏@Rich_Fulcher · 4s5 seconds ago
If you're poor and voting for Cameron, you're a self harmer and need medical attention.
(Rich played Bob Fossil in The Mighty Boosh, if you can't place the name)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I've just done my batch of 'phone knock-ups. Not bad - what contact I made. I don't expect Labour to win in this neck of the woods (but the constituency has been Labour - most recently in the Blair days) but even if there's no joy this time (and you never know - I can hope) it's a good building block for the future.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Just phoned D&G council's dept that deals with elections.

Am waiting for a call back from someone called Claire Thompson, the Governance Policy Officer and Elections - am asking for clarification of the rules and whether they have been breached.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RobertSnozers wrote:Sturgeon: England has no need to fear my reign of fire and blood

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/ ... 5050798104
And while we have refused to rule out a second independence referendum, the rolling terror of the next five years which will reduce England to a silent, empty land of ragged ghosts, means it will not be a priority.

Together we can make Britain better, as long as you agree that anywhere is better without the English.

Too close too the truth to be funny !
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/_ ... -rc-ca.pdf

Officer immediately

A Labour volunteer had his rosette on and was about to go in and vote when he was advised to remove it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@yahyah

Hello.

Whilst you're in 'phone mode (and well done for taking the trouble) could you give The Guardian Election Blog people a shout and ask why there are no photographs of cats at polling stations, please?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Christ. Was just phoned back by someone on Claire Thompson's behalf.
What a shockingly lacksadasical attitude, much sucking of teeth and not any help.

Have got pushy and said I want to speak to a Presiding Officer - or will go to the media to ask them to check.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

PorFavor wrote:@yahyah

Hello.

Whilst you're in 'phone mode (and well done for taking the trouble) could you give The Guardian Election Blog people a shout and ask why there are no photographs of cats at polling stations, please?

Cats are too busy sleeping and eating to bother about such matters. :D
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

The Electoral Commission piece I found also says:

There should be no more than one teller at a polling station for each
campaigner/candidate/party at any time. Where a polling place contains
more than one polling station with separate entrances, it may be appropriate
for there to be tellers at each entrance, but no more than one per
campaigner/candidate/party.

So again, the five SNP people seem to be flouting the rules.
The Tory may be said to be following them more carefully.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

stniuk 7m ago
Polling station (its a link to ....)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEaT5ccWMAAVjTu.jpg:large
A polling station with a food bank sign right next to it....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:stniuk 7m ago
Polling station (its a link to ....)

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEaT5ccWMAAVjTu.jpg:large
A polling station with a food bank sign right next to it....
Good lord.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Just posted this at the Graun.

Yeah I thought so. I vaguely remembered a picture of Dave and Sam on their way to vote so have checked back and opened it in another tab so I could zoom in. Sure enough I see he is still wearing his blue-check, prison-issue shirt. Well I say that, who could possibly have advised him on it?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

So far, it's been a beautiful day here if not overly warm. It's now become a lot gloomier and is decidedly nippy. I hope it doesn't set in for rain.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jason Beattie ‏@JBeattieMirror 10m10 minutes ago
Wouldn't go so far as saying it's the only result I care about but the car has passed the MoT. #onemoreyear
Know how he feels.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 1h1 hour ago
Must be bad when @David_Cameron feels the need to tell us he and the missus voted Con

"Samantha & I voting Conservative this morning, so that everyone can have security whatever stage of life they are at."
:lol:

Am I the only one to find that a bit weird - and with something of the intimidatory about it?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Must be bad when @David_Cameron feels the need to tell us he and the missus voted Con

"Samantha & I voting Conservative this morning, so that everyone can have security whatever stage of life they are at."

Am I the only one to find that a bit weird - and with something of the intimidatory about it?
Needed to make sure all the demographical data points were represented in a tidy twitter bit. Yes, it's weird & scary.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Jason Beattie ‏@JBeattieMirror 10m10 minutes ago
Wouldn't go so far as saying it's the only result I care about but the car has passed the MoT. #onemoreyear
Know how he feels.

Didn't the Greens debate a policy to banish all cars ?
No worries about MOTs if they got their way.
It'd be roller skates and a windmill on your head, much cheaper.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

By everyone does he mean just him?
Release the Guardvarks.
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Just back from my day out with the kids, every third street we walked down seemed to have Labour volunteers out and about, knocking own doors, getting people out. We had a "the election is today" leaflet from them this morning, and another one reminding us that the polls close at ten was waiting in the letterbox when I came back. I haven't seen a soul from any other party (there were no tellers at the polling station at all). So in terms of effort and boots on the ground Labour are clearly ahead here.

I've certainly seen nothing of UKIP, they didn't even bother to put a leaflet through the door, despite the fact that both Southampton seats were supposedly places where they fancied their chances after they came second in the Eastleigh byelection. Maybe they've decided to focus all their attention in Itchen instead, but over this side you wouldn't even know they were standing.