Saturday 9th, Sunday 10th May 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Re: Saturday 9th, Sunday 10th May 2015

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

Chris Leslie will no doubt take over Ball's brief, does anyone expect any major changes apart from that?

Another fall out from Thursday has been the effectiveness of social media, Labour won that hands down, but were we living in a bubble of our own making, the twitter campaigns, were they ultimately a pile of self indulgent crap?!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: You have to allow for the anger. I've never seen or heard our normally nondescript neighbour express himself as he did - out of the blue - to us yesterday. We had no idea of his politics before - he never gave a hint of it. He is now so disgusted with 'this country' he just wants to get out of it and away from the people who voted this government in.
Absolutely there is anger.

But MPs tweeting stuff like this are idiots.

On election night Kinnock was blaming the electorate as 'deluded'.

Well, you aren't going to win by blaming the electorate. You make the problem worse.

But the electorate have the power. They're the ones that put the cross on the bit of paper. They're the ones who should have the fucking sense to know when they're being lied to, sold a pup, having the wool pulled over their eyes.
They're the ones who are too fucking greedy or prejudice to know they're cutting off their noses to spite their face.

Of course it's the bloody stupid electorate.
Yep - who the hell are we going to take it up with? People making up the electorate, it starts & stops there.
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 10 May, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Have replied to the PM - no, not that PM silly !

:lol:
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

frightful_oik wrote:
pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I hope we're not going to get a new direction, message and leader mostly based on what is fed back from southern English constituencies and the voices given most prominence by the media though ... that's part of my fear now. There are probably very different responses from across the country ... the things I heard most frequently as negatives about Labour generally were Blair, Iraq, not in touch with us, immigration.
I think that's partly what my post about not electing Londoners was about.

Labour is seen to be governed by a team of Londoners who have no 'life' experience beyond Westminster. They speak with the same accent as southern England, not a solitary voice in the senior party from the regions.
Andy Burnham?
A scouser of course. And Michael Dugher is from Yorkshire, Ed Balls (who I personally will miss) is a Norwich lad and has no problem remembering which football team he supports, Rosie Winterton is also from Yorkshire as are the Eagle sisters, Chris Leslie and Gloria de Piero, Ivan Lewis and Lucy Powell are from Manchester, Mary Creagh was sent from Coventry, Owen Smith (who should have a think about the leadership imo) is from Lancashire, Jon Trickett is a Leeds lad. It may be the perception pk1, but it isn't the reality. Let us hope their voices are the ones we now hear, to help shoot yet another MSM fox.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

frightful_oik wrote:
pk1 wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I hope we're not going to get a new direction, message and leader mostly based on what is fed back from southern English constituencies and the voices given most prominence by the media though ... that's part of my fear now. There are probably very different responses from across the country ... the things I heard most frequently as negatives about Labour generally were Blair, Iraq, not in touch with us, immigration.
I think that's partly what my post about not electing Londoners was about.

Labour is seen to be governed by a team of Londoners who have no 'life' experience beyond Westminster. They speak with the same accent as southern England, not a solitary voice in the senior party from the regions.
Andy Burnham?
Mid-Staffs.

I know I know but it's precisely what would be uttered by every single bloody journalist & political commentator from the day he was elected until the day he resigns in 2020, following yet another Labour defeat :(
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Chris Leslie will no doubt take over Ball's brief, does anyone expect any major changes apart from that?

Another fall out from Thursday has been the effectiveness of social media, Labour won that hands down, but were we living in a bubble of our own making, the twitter campaigns, were they ultimately a pile of self indulgent crap?!
I think some thought they just had to vent about voting out the Tories on social media rather than actually DOING it :evil:

(a major reason the polls were "wrong" was that they predicted a turnout of 70-75% rather than the actual 66%)

And maybe the MSM isn't, alas, quite as finished as some of us hoped. Labour's new leader needs to have a strategy to deal with them - as the Miliband idea that they could basically just be bypassed didn't work (its time might come 10-15 years from now - newspaper sales will continue to decline relentlessly - but not yet) This doesn't mean grovelling Blair-style, obviously.

Another lesson from the last week is that it isn't just about numbers - Labour's "ground game" had far more people than the Tories, but one is increasingly hearing tales about how this army was not utilised as well as it might have been. Quality matters, as well as quantity.
Last edited by AnatolyKasparov on Sun 10 May, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Liz Kendall has her page up and running now
Liz Kendall 4 Leader https://twitter.com/Liz4Leader?lang=en-gb
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

My youngest son went shopping & bought shortbread for me. I'd love you to share some with me:

Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

Eric. Thanks for your informative post.
pk I agree about Jarvis and Eagle. I would like to see Angela stand but I'm afraid she would get a hammering from the rw press. Dan is probably better able to withstand it.
I have been very impressed with Chris Leslie though,he comes over well in interviews.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

If every single care worker making less than minimum wage stood together & declined to be the cash generators for wealthy owners of care agencies, those emergency flights bringing care workers in from other countries in response to the care worker strike would soon prove to be too expensive to justify owning care agencies.

Think of all the work getting done by people now who, a hundred years ago, were most often slaves or women. That's work that must get done every day or civilisation stops. Think of it.

I really don't like greedy sonsofbiscuits, you know?
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

God that shortbread looks nice.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:
pk1 wrote: I think that's partly what my post about not electing Londoners was about.

Andy Burnham?
A scouser of course. And Michael Dugher is from Yorkshire, Ed Balls (who I personally will miss) is a Norwich lad and has no problem remembering which football team he supports, Rosie Winterton is also from Yorkshire as are the Eagle sisters, Chris Leslie and Gloria de Piero, Ivan Lewis and Lucy Powell are from Manchester, Mary Creagh was sent from Coventry, Owen Smith (who should have a think about the leadership imo) is from Lancashire, Jon Trickett is a Leeds lad. It may be the perception pk1, but it isn't the reality. Let us hope their voices are the ones we now hear, to help shoot yet another MSM fox.
I'll miss Ed Balls too.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

pk1 wrote: Mid-Staffs.

I know I know but it's precisely what would be uttered by every single bloody journalist & political commentator from the day he was elected until the day he resigns in 2020, following yet another Labour defeat :(
I made the same point yesterday and it won't matter how many times anyone explains the facts - it'll still be there. Just like the 1,400 deaths.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

daina gregory ‏@chandnidaina · 4 mins4 minutes ago
'Ed Miliband, is planning to offer his services to the next Labour leader and will not abandon frontline politics.' #ThankYouEd #milifandom

Hope that's true!
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Tonibel wrote:Eric. Thanks for your informative post.
pk I agree about Jarvis and Eagle. I would like to see Angela stand but I'm afraid she would get a hammering from the rw press. Dan is probably better able to withstand it.
I have been very impressed with Chris Leslie though,he comes over well in interviews.
I love Chris Leslie. He always seems to turn up for interviews whereas his adversary refuses or does so by tv link only. He was on Murnaghan today & spoke of the massive cuts to come & he actually specified "social security" not 'welfare' - hoorah !
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:If Chuka Umunna thinks appearing side by side with Peter Mandelson on Andrew Neil was a good move I don't trust his ability at all
Still nobody from the reformist wing has any vision as to what reform means. Hint bashing the unions isn't the answer. Supporting ZHC, predatory land lords and non Doms is also not the answer.

Set out a policy vision or piss off. Mindless sound bites about new Labour or education are just shit.
Release the Guardvarks.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:daina gregory ‏@chandnidaina · 4 mins4 minutes ago
'Ed Miliband, is planning to offer his services to the next Labour leader and will not abandon frontline politics.' #ThankYouEd #milifandom

Hope that's true!
Indeed. And it's certainly what he implied in his resignation speech. Brave man, time and time again.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

pk1 wrote:
I love Chris Leslie. He always seems to turn up for interviews whereas his adversary refuses or does so by tv link only. He was on Murnaghan today & spoke of the massive cuts to come & he actually specified "social security" not 'welfare' - hoorah !
I mentioned up there somewhere I'd like Chris to stand, not seen any mention of him doing so though :(
edit : extremely weird spelling
Last edited by AngryAsWell on Sun 10 May, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

frightful_oik wrote: The problem with the electorate is that the loudest voices belong to the most ignorant.
Doesn't that apply to politicians as well? :(
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

This thread is getting very long......

I hope our (marvellous, splendid, wonderful, etc.etc.) admin people don't mind, but I'm going to start a new topic.

I'd be grateful for your views when I post it.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:If Chuka Umunna thinks appearing side by side with Peter Mandelson on Andrew Neil was a good move I don't trust his ability at all
Still nobody from the reformist wing has any vision as to what reform means. Hint bashing the unions isn't the answer. Supporting ZHC, predatory land lords and non Doms is also not the answer.

Set out a policy vision or piss off. Mindless sound bites about new Labour or education are just shit.
(my bold)
Hey, everyone who voted Tory! Look what policies won't happen now!
How many of you are Tory non Doms?
Sure as hell not enough to have made it worth your while to vote for those few who are - you're going to get hurt by Tory policy.
Enjoy your zero-hour contract, your 25% VAT, your private landlord from hell & give thanks every night that the land is safe for Tory non Doms.
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

If we think we had it bad, and of course we did over at LDV there's a new blog up "GE 2015, where did it all go wrong" I won't laugh, cos it's too close to the bone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

I made the same point yesterday and it won't matter how many times anyone explains the facts - it'll still be there. Just like the 1,400 deaths.
Yes - you are right sadly. Let's face it - Ed Miliband was relatively untainted by the previous Labour government's record - but the press managed to manufacture a negative back story right from the off with his win against his brother - and it never ever went away. And that was despite a lot of people being really reviled by some of the attacks - notably the Mail's slur on his father as hating the British.

I wish I could see a different way forward with the media ... but at present I can't. How long till we have another letter signed by x number of ......s against something that seems eminently fair and sensible - or timed for before the next cut in social security a slew of horror stories of individuals living it up at the taxpayers' expense?
Working on the wild side.
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

AngryAsWell wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Message for Tory Ukip Voters.jpg
Someone like Eoin Clarke has his heart in the right place, but he is basically a fool.

If you want to win back the 15m people who voted for other parties, you don't start by insulting them.
This is where you and your man are making a big mistake
Ed didn't lose because people didn't like the policies or didn't like Ed. He lost because of the massive last ditch "The Scott's are coming" campaign and the split of the left vote. Whoever paid for the greens to stand in every constituency has a lot to answer for. I've spoken to friends in a lost marginal, one voted tory and one green. Both are kicking themselves and ardently wishing they could cancel the election and have a re run. The tory didn't realise how close the seat was (face palm) and voted tory because she thought it would send a message to Ed not to get to close to the SNP (!) she really thought he would win and this was her way of objecting to the SNP. The other (green) is first time voter and had been told that it was the number of votes counted that would win the seat and the more Green votes they got would "send a message" (god how I wish these message senders would just use email!) that people wanted a more green outlook. She is also devastated now she understands how things really work. Both these people really wanted and expected Ed to be PM. Both are non political, in that they only think about politics at the election.
I'm reading similar story's all over the web.
If your man really wants to help Labour he needs to analyse what actually happened rather than making assumptions based on bland numbers that tell no story.

You post just highlights how little ordinary apolitical people know about the mechanics of government. Most haven't a clue, and can just about understand that there's local government and central government. I've come across apparently educated and intelligent people who can't understand the reality of opposition, or that if a Labour council delivers huge curs then that's not as a result of a Labour decision in Westminster, but a Tory decision. When explained they shake their heads disbelievingly, and you know you've wasted your breath. But still hope it will register at some point. Being involved with a very large group online this kind of stuff comes up all the time. These are people used to quick repartee but give them something factual and they often struggle with it. Today many will be cheering on the anti austerity stuff very uncritically. I'm of the opinion that voters did in fact deliver this terrible result, and as your post suggest, not from malice or any other form of ill will, but from ignorance, and sometimes - I'm trying hard not to offend - stupidity. The latter because very often when facts are explained you get a response of, well you are entitled to your opinion! Even links don't work with this, it's exactly the same as if you try to discuss freedom of speech or racism. A pat answer that absolves people from thinking.

So really there needs to be a movement to help people understand government and politics, as a nation we are woefully under informed on basic things and over informed on any nonsense you can think of. So anyone who could think of a solution to this problem, this side of Maoist reeducation, and propaganda free, and a way to get it to people and communities in ways that are creative, would be making a huge difference. If this doesn't happen I can only see abysmal out comes for the foreseeable future.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Meanwhile...

Free school blames EFA for early closure

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/free-school-bl ... y-closure/
More than 20 pupils face moving schools halfway through their GCSE studies after a free school in Stockport announced its closure is moving forward by a year.

Stockport Technical School, a 14 to 19 free school sponsored by Stockport College that opened in an office block in September 2013, announced in March that it would close in 2016, citing disappointing recruitment levels caused by the lack of a permanent building.
and who has to help out?
The DfE are now working with the council to ensure alternative school places are found for all pupils to aid a smooth transition.
Labour need to take a good long look at their policies but don't ditch them on the basis that "we lost so everything was wrong" - some were very right.

And it really bugs me that the free school policy will just continue and move ahead...and this will continue to happen.

"Down with this sort of thing"
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Charlotte Church would relish the chance to lawfully smash Katie Hopkins face in.

Them Cardiff girls, don't mess with them.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
pk1 wrote:
I mentioned up there some ware I'd like Chris to stand, not seen any mention of him doing so though :(
We need lots of good people at the top of Labour not just one. There seem to be more fresh names floating around this time which is good because they can form a whole new team that's not harking back to the Blair/Brown New Labour past. We need them all and we need Ed. I want Labour overflowing with talent. Something people forget is that right from the start New Labour combined the talents of both Blair and Brown. One issue Ed had was that sometimes it felt like it was just Ed....and occasionally Diane Abbot talking bollocks. There wasn't enough depth. I'm beginning to be more hopeful, as more names come up, that there will be a much stronger core of shadow secretaries to provide proper support whoever ends up with the top job. Or am I just being stupidly optimistic all over again already?
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@seeingclearly

Outstanding post! Mine, I confess, was delivered with great bitterness but your post above is what I was trying to communicate.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

I was merely pointing out he isn't a Southerner. I agree about his baggage which is unfair but there you go.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Our new Justice Secretary, hope Khan or Keir Starmer, if fast tracked smgrind him into the ground.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... nging.html
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

letsskiptotheleft wrote:Our new Justice Secretary, hope Khan or Keir Starmer, if fast tracked smgrind him into the ground.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... nging.html
Sadiq is apparently still thinking about running for London Mayor. I wish he would just concentrate on what really needs doing, as I think Tessa will get the nod anyway and she'll do a damn good job if she wins.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Meanwhile...

Free school blames EFA for early closure

http://schoolsweek.co.uk/free-school-bl ... y-closure/
More than 20 pupils face moving schools halfway through their GCSE studies after a free school in Stockport announced its closure is moving forward by a year.

Stockport Technical School, a 14 to 19 free school sponsored by Stockport College that opened in an office block in September 2013, announced in March that it would close in 2016, citing disappointing recruitment levels caused by the lack of a permanent building.
and who has to help out?
The DfE are now working with the council to ensure alternative school places are found for all pupils to aid a smooth transition.
Labour need to take a good long look at their policies but don't ditch them on the basis that "we lost so everything was wrong" - some were very right.

And it really bugs me that the free school policy will just continue and move ahead...and this will continue to happen.

"Down with this sort of thing"
I don't understand, RogerOThornhill. This free school is blaming the Education Funding Agency (EFA) for early closure? The local authority can 'help out' & sent the bill to god damn Westminster.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

seeingclearly wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Someone like Eoin Clarke has his heart in the right place, but he is basically a fool.

If you want to win back the 15m people who voted for other parties, you don't start by insulting them.
This is where you and your man are making a big mistake
Ed didn't lose because people didn't like the policies or didn't like Ed. He lost because of the massive last ditch "The Scott's are coming" campaign and the split of the left vote. Whoever paid for the greens to stand in every constituency has a lot to answer for. I've spoken to friends in a lost marginal, one voted tory and one green. Both are kicking themselves and ardently wishing they could cancel the election and have a re run. The tory didn't realise how close the seat was (face palm) and voted tory because she thought it would send a message to Ed not to get to close to the SNP (!) she really thought he would win and this was her way of objecting to the SNP. The other (green) is first time voter and had been told that it was the number of votes counted that would win the seat and the more Green votes they got would "send a message" (god how I wish these message senders would just use email!) that people wanted a more green outlook. She is also devastated now she understands how things really work. Both these people really wanted and expected Ed to be PM. Both are non political, in that they only think about politics at the election.
If your man really wants to help Labour he needs to analyse what actually happened rather than making assumptions based on bland numbers that tell no story.

You post just highlights how little ordinary apolitical people know about the mechanics of government. Most haven't a clue, and can just about understand that there's local government and central government. I've come across apparently educated and intelligent people who can't understand the reality of opposition, or that if a Labour council delivers huge curs then that's not as a result of a Labour decision in Westminster, but a Tory decision. When explained they shake their heads disbelievingly, and you know you've wasted your breath. But still hope it will register at some point. Being involved with a very large group online this kind of stuff comes up all the time. These are people used to quick repartee but give them something factual and they often struggle with it. Today many will be cheering on the anti austerity stuff very uncritically. I'm of the opinion that voters did in fact deliver this terrible result, and as your post suggest, not from malice or any other form of ill will, but from ignorance, and sometimes - I'm trying hard not to offend - stupidity. The latter because very often when facts are explained you get a response of, well you are entitled to your opinion! Even links don't work with this, it's exactly the same as if you try to discuss freedom of speech or racism. A pat answer that absolves people from thinking.

So really there needs to be a movement to help people understand government and politics, as a nation we are woefully under informed on basic things and over informed on any nonsense you can think of. So anyone who could think of a solution to this problem, this side of Maoist reeducation, and propaganda free, and a way to get it to people and communities in ways that are creative, would be making a huge difference. If this doesn't happen I can only see abysmal out comes for the foreseeable future.
The one who voted toy still insists that her "one vote" did not make a difference. Literally, I suppose she is right on that as the seat was lost on more than one, but the flawed logic floors me!
How to get over this problem?
Politics needs to be a compulsory subject in schools, and maybe even moving to compulsory voting? Not sure about that, but if people learn about politics perhaps they may participate a little more ?
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Speaking of Tessa .....
Tessa Jowell ‏@TessaJowell
Tessa Jowell retweeted GeorgeMonbiot
Rubbish. Labour wins when we appeal to everybody. Country rejected us, should be no-one we don't seek to win back
GeorgeMonbiot @GeorgeMonbiot
The voters #Labour needs to reclaim are not those who have gone to the Tories - a mug's game. They are those who stayed at home.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

AAW, pk1 and Ephe. Thank you. :hug:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson retweeted
LabourList @LabourList · 43m 43 minutes ago
Update: Miliband aide says reports that former leader will seek return to Shadow Cabinet this year are "not true" http://labli.st/1EZDH1x
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@TheGrimSqueaker

I can't say I'm a fan of Tessa Jowell but it's horses for courses - and I think, as you say, she'd be a good choice for the London Mayor job.

Sadiq Khan should stop being self-indulgent and buckle down to working in the arena in which he can do the most good.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Speaking of Tessa .....
Tessa Jowell ‏@TessaJowell
Tessa Jowell retweeted GeorgeMonbiot
Rubbish. Labour wins when we appeal to everybody. Country rejected us, should be no-one we don't seek to win back

GeorgeMonbiot @GeorgeMonbiot
The voters #Labour needs to reclaim are not those who have gone to the Tories - a mug's game. They are those who stayed at home.
(my bold)

edited to add
I've posted too soon, I think, before re-reading the tweet.
Last edited by citizenJA on Sun 10 May, 2015 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 4m4 minutes ago
Shirley Williams says constituency party funding rules allowed big party like Tories to buy the election - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... 027795c793
Yes I heard her say that on Radio 4 ... and wondered why the Lib Dems had allowed Cameron to get away with raising the amount that could be spent on campaigns to such an obscene level then?

She also told us that she was on the 'left' of her party ... and she's not going to stand for leader.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

She also told us that she was on the 'left' of her party ... and she's not going to stand for leader.
Jayzus! :roll:
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

PorFavor wrote: Sadiq Khan should stop being self-indulgent and buckle down to working in the arena in which he can do the most good.
If Sadiq stays as Shadow Justice Secretary then why not move Yvette Cooper (MSc in Economics) to Shadow Chancellor and Keir Starmer to Shadow Home Secretary?

Shadow Foreign Secretary?

How about Dan Jarvis and then we can see what he's about?
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

Hi All. Only just feeling composed enough to write - have managed to avoid all news programmes & papers since Thursday.
Hope the others who feel the need to take time out soon return feeling energised for the struggles ahead.
There are too many people out there that the Tories will shit on, who need the help of those like us who can & will provide assistance.
And hopefully Labour won't spend 6 months navel gazing, but will hit these bastards where it hurts, starting with the Queen's speech.
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AngryAsWell wrote:
seeingclearly wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: This is where you and your man are making a big mistake

The one who voted toy still insists that her "one vote" did not make a difference. Literally, I suppose she is right on that as the seat was lost on more than one, but the flawed logic floors me!
How to get over this problem?
Politics needs to be a compulsory subject in schools, and maybe even moving to compulsory voting? Not sure about that, but if people learn about politics perhaps they may participate a little more ?

I've been saying that (obviously not very articulately)!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Friends, please excuse me now for today, I think.
I'm not feeling well.
Your company & the company of my spouse are treasure.
I'll read you all later.
love
cJA
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Sadiq Khan should stop being self-indulgent and buckle down to working in the arena in which he can do the most good.
If Sadiq stays as Shadow Justice Secretary then why not move Yvette Cooper (MSc in Economics) to Shadow Chancellor and Keir Starmer to Shadow Home Secretary?

Am back, as PK tempted me with that shortbread. Hope there's some left.

Jarvis studied International Politics and Strategic Studies at Aberyswyth, and got an MA in Conflict, Security & Development at King's College London so is surely qualified for Shadow Foreign Sec?
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AndrewSparrow ‏@AndrewSparrow 4m4 minutes ago
Shirley Williams says constituency party funding rules allowed big party like Tories to buy the election - http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... 027795c793
Yes I heard her say that on Radio 4 ... and wondered why the Lib Dems had allowed Cameron to get away with raising the amount that could be spent on campaigns to such an obscene level then?

Hark at her, complaining at the "extraordinary targeting of popular Simon Hughes" in time, when the wounds have healed I will regret not having the energy or will to celebrate his demise.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

And sorry to keep blabbing on but hasn't it occured to anyone else what the Conservatives based their campaign on?
They used buzz words which if repeated enough times begins to sink in. They used fear. They used ridicule.
Time after time I found myself saying, 'Do they think we're thick? Do they think we're stupid'

They did.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

I'm not sure about Yvette Cooper for Shadow Chancellor. I know it's not fair on her but she will always be undermined by accusations of being a mouthpiece for 'Im Indoors (and I must confess that I'm prey to that suspicion myself).
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

I'd like Starmer as Home Sec, he's more than capable, may put out a few noses so soon after being elected but he's more than a match for May, use him.

Yahyah :hug: good to see you..
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Am back, as PK tempted me with that shortbread. Hope there's some left.

Jarvis studied International Politics and Strategic Studies at Aberyswyth, and got an MA in Conflict, Security & Development at King's College London so is surely qualified for Shadow Foreign Sec?
I should have looked at his wiki biog before posting!

That looks good.