Monday 11'th 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 11'th 2015

Post by SpinningHugo »

The BBC charter renewal comes up in 2016.

The BBC, like the Human Rights Act, will be gone by 2020.

As I have said before, if we had managed to elect a government that proposed to do nothing at all, it would have been better than what we are going to get.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:
minch wrote:A few quick observations.
1) The vote for Labour did not collapse – it went up by 1.5% and the Conservatives vote went up by 0.5%
2) The number of votes needed per seat for Conservatives and Labour changed. Labour used to need less votes per seat and now it needs more.
3) The real game changers were the drop in LD votes and the rise in UKIP votes. This altered how fairly stable votes for Labour and Conservatives were transformed into seats.
I think the 2010 boundary changes skewed things in the Tories' favour more than many people realised, hence their shock at not winning outright last time. Certainly when I looked at the new boundary for NE Somerset in 2010 my gut instinct was safe Tory seat, so the closeness between the Tories and Labour came as a bit of a pleasant surprise. It's a gutter that the 2015 result was such a huge majority for Rees-Mogg, but looking at the map that's actually what you'd expect. As you say, Labour and the Tories didn't really do anything but hold station, it was how things re-organised around them that dramatically changed the outcome. A Labour led government this time was always dependent on the Libdems holding onto a lot more seats than they did and thus denying the Tories, as it was clear Labour was still struggling to recover from its association with the global crash and I do believe only time can kill such associations, whatever people say about Labour "failing" to counter the Tory arguments about crashing the economy. The Tory lie mostly worked because people already instinctively felt it to be true anyway. The Tories are equally as vulnerable to such "events", however, and that's what provides hope.

1. The Tory vote went up 0.8%, Labour 1.4%. This still left the Tories 6.5% ahead. Labour did worse than in 1987.

2. Yes. That is because of the SNP, but also because Labour did far worse in the marginals than it did countrywide.

3. Yes. Labour did very poorly in persuading Lib Dem voters to back us. We now need to think

"How do we persuade those who voted Tory to vote for us, who is the best person to do that?"

Elections are still won and lost in Lab / Tory marginals.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Sorry if anyone's linked to this already,
by Phillipa Perry:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... very-guide

But it's one of the more useful things in Guardian, of late, (not sure about drawing the faces on the fruit though)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Willow904 wrote:
minch wrote:A few quick observations.
1) The vote for Labour did not collapse – it went up by 1.5% and the Conservatives vote went up by 0.5%
2) The number of votes needed per seat for Conservatives and Labour changed. Labour used to need less votes per seat and now it needs more.
3) The real game changers were the drop in LD votes and the rise in UKIP votes. This altered how fairly stable votes for Labour and Conservatives were transformed into seats.
I think the 2010 boundary changes skewed things in the Tories' favour more than many people realised, hence their shock at not winning outright last time. Certainly when I looked at the new boundary for NE Somerset in 2010 my gut instinct was safe Tory seat, so the closeness between the Tories and Labour came as a bit of a pleasant surprise. It's a gutter that the 2015 result was such a huge majority for Rees-Mogg, but looking at the map that's actually what you'd expect. As you say, Labour and the Tories didn't really do anything but hold station, it was how things re-organised around them that dramatically changed the outcome. A Labour led government this time was always dependent on the Libdems holding onto a lot more seats than they did and thus denying the Tories, as it was clear Labour was still struggling to recover from its association with the global crash and I do believe only time can kill such associations, whatever people say about Labour "failing" to counter the Tory arguments about crashing the economy. The Tory lie mostly worked because people already instinctively felt it to be true anyway. The Tories are equally as vulnerable to such "events", however, and that's what provides hope.

1. The Tory vote went up 0.8%, Labour 1.4%. This still left the Tories 6.5% ahead. Labour did worse than in 1987.

2. Yes. That is because of the SNP, but also because Labour did far worse in the marginals than it did countrywide.

3. Yes. Labour did very poorly in persuading Lib Dem voters to back us. We now need to think

"How do we persuade those who voted Tory to vote for us, who is the best person to do that?"

Elections are still won and lost in Lab / Tory marginals.
We listen to what the candidates have to say, how they will lead the party, and what direction they will take it in. Then we chose.
Chuka shot his fox for me by appearing like a glove puppet on AN with Mandy - or maybe that was intentional?
Who knows in this duplicitous world.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Oh joy, Priti Patel has replaced the Mouth of Mersey as Employment Minister.........:roll:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

@SpinningHugo

You ask "How do we persuade those who voted Tory to vote for us, who is the best person to do that?"

The obvious answer to your question is that the best person to do that is a Tory.

You might want to give that some thought.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Willow904 wrote:@SpinningHugo

You ask "How do we persuade those who voted Tory to vote for us, who is the best person to do that?"

The obvious answer to your question is that the best person to do that is a Tory.

I don't agree.

If the last 5 years didn't show you the difference between an elected Labour government and the Tories, the next five is going to with bells on.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

@PaulfromYorkshire

I had a horrible feeling that this place might gradually crumble in the wake of the election result. But the demise of this site would be just another Conservative victory. I appreciate that you've put in a fair amount of your time here (for which I thank you) and have things that you must do outside of it. But please stay around, take care and keep in touch with us on a (fairly) regular basis.
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

pk1 wrote:Oh joy, Priti Patel has replaced the Mouth of Mersey as Employment Minister.........:roll:
And Amber Rudd is Energy Secretary
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@David_Cameron
I have appointed John Whittingdale as the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport.

Murdoch's guarantee to get everything he demands.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

@PaulfromYorkshire

I had a horrible feeling that this place might gradually crumble in the wake of the election result. But the demise of this site would be just another Conservative victory. I appreciate that you've put in a fair amount of your time here (for which I thank you) and have things that you must do outside of it. But please stay around, take care and keep in touch with us on a (fairly) regular basis.
Hear hear !
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

danesclose wrote:
pk1 wrote:Oh joy, Priti Patel has replaced the Mouth of Mersey as Employment Minister.........:roll:
And Amber Rudd is Energy Secretary
Is it just me or .......

When I was at school studying physics we used amber rods to generate static electricity. Is this a subtle joke on OGRFG's part?
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

SpinningHugo wrote:

I don't agree.

If the last 5 years didn't show you the difference between an elected Labour government and the Tories, the next five is going to with bells on.
We're going to be shafted over the next 5 years because Tony Blair DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

http://rt.com/op-edge/257349-uk-general ... Qs.twitter
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@Willow904

Short and bitter, but very much to the point and so true.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 15m15 minutes ago
Here we go. David Cameron opens war on the BBC. Man who called the licence fee a "poll tax" is new Culture secretary: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -live.html
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

@PaulfromYorkshire

Te echo what others have said. Hope you can have a well earned break ... but please don't stay away for ever ... look forward to seeing you back as and when.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Priti Patel, FFS.

I don't have anything more articulate at this precise moment, no.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

BBC clarification of Labour Leadership election rules:
MPs wishing to stand as leader and deputy leader have to be nominated by 15% of their colleagues in the Parliamentary Labour Party to be eligible to stand.

As Labour now has 232 MPs, this means prospective candidates must get at least 35 signatures.

Under rules agreed last year, all Labour Party members, registered supporters and affiliated supporters - including union members - will be allowed a maximum of one vote each on a one member, one vote system.

When the election is held, they will be asked to rank candidates in order of preference.

If no candidate gets 50% of all votes cast, the votes will be added up and the candidate with the fewest votes eliminated. Their second preference votes will then be redistributed until one candidate has 50% of all votes cast.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32686769
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

Down at the school this morning looking at what goes on around admin of KS2 tests which are this week. Top security for the papers when they come in, limiting access to how can get at them, arranging for a scribe for a kid who had his writing arm in a sling...

In other news Ipswich Academy will have a new sponsor - no, it's not going back to the LA.

Its new sponsor has two academies already...in Tower Hamlets.

Odd that Lord Nash said the other day that they should try and localise these trusts - someone at the DfE isn't taking any notice...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Is this the first to discover that profit making in the postal delivery service is not as simple as it may have looked....
Private postal business Whistl - formerly known as TNT - has suspended its door-to-door delivery service in London, Liverpool and Manchester and is consulting 2,000 workers on redundancy.

The move follows a decision last month by potential investment partner LDC not to fund its expansion plans.

Whistl will continue to provide a service, but will revert back to using the Royal Mail for the "final mile".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32686828
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

pk1 wrote:Is this the first to discover that profit making in the postal delivery service is not as simple as it may have looked....
Private postal business Whistl - formerly known as TNT - has suspended its door-to-door delivery service in London, Liverpool and Manchester and is consulting 2,000 workers on redundancy.

The move follows a decision last month by potential investment partner LDC not to fund its expansion plans.

Whistl will continue to provide a service, but will revert back to using the Royal Mail for the "final mile".
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32686828
Thanks for that. Makes me even angrier on behalf of Royal Mail and us plebs though re the Cable mis sell off.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

@tobyperkinsmp 4m4 minutes ago
You know when your team loses at weekend and you have to go in and face that annoying prat who supports opponents. That x 1000 = today.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Lovely Paul, hope you get everything done you need to do and have a break - but don't be away too long. Please.

Whoever it was who said they have to clean behind the fridge, I hope they don't stay away too long either, or I'll start being worried about Romanians and ostentatious breast-feeding. It's absolutely everywhere, apparently.

Angela Eagle. Funny, female, with a mind like a razor and a tongue like a whip (when it suits). She's been an MP since 1992, knows everything and everyone, and would make mincemeat of TCC. I think she'd be a good leader. Until Ed comes back. Obviously.

NB - "TCC" (TM) is, I think, the creation of Lone Wolfie (please correct me if I'm wrong) and stands for That C**t Cameron.
I would like to formally announce the retirement of OGRFG and replace the title with TCC.

Thanks for the comment on the other thing wot I wrote - some great ideas there.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/h ... JlUELZT6eb

Despite that though, the recommendation to their readers was to vote Tory or LD !
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Not the most optimistic of pieces from a Labour perspective, but rather insightful, I feel:

http://www.politico.eu/article/labour-r ... ion-blair/
On May 9, another Blairite cabinet minister, Alan Johnson, called on the Labour Party to learn the lessons of Blair’s three consecutive election victories.

Several more of Blair’s cabinet ministers, including David Blunkett and Charles Clarke, have called for Labour to recapture the centre ground.

Their prescription is curious after a general election in which the three parties which rejected the centre ground — the SNP, UKIP and the Greens — made the biggest gains in the popular vote.

Meanwhile the party which made the greatest claim to the centre ground — the Liberal Democrats — was virtually annihilated.
The times, as they say, are a-changin'.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Willow904 wrote:Not the most optimistic of pieces from a Labour perspective, but rather insightful, I feel:

http://www.politico.eu/article/labour-r ... ion-blair/
On May 9, another Blairite cabinet minister, Alan Johnson, called on the Labour Party to learn the lessons of Blair’s three consecutive election victories.

Several more of Blair’s cabinet ministers, including David Blunkett and Charles Clarke, have called for Labour to recapture the centre ground.

Their prescription is curious after a general election in which the three parties which rejected the centre ground — the SNP, UKIP and the Greens — made the biggest gains in the popular vote.

Meanwhile the party which made the greatest claim to the centre ground — the Liberal Democrats — was virtually annihilated.
The times, as they say, are a-changin'.
Yes I agree. I posted a snippet here yesterday from someone pointing out that Blairism - with its 'centrist' approach - developed in entirely different times - before Ukip for example.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

NonOxCol wrote:Priti Patel, FFS.

I don't have anything more articulate at this precise moment, no.

D'oh, NonOxCol - this is a very obvious thing.

First, Patel is one of the authors of Brittannia Unchained which proffered the view that the British are the worst idlers in the world.

Second, IDS has to have some girlie's skirt to look up while they stand up and try to describe policies nobody understands.

As with all Cameron's cabinet, it makes sense to have a employment minister who hates workers; after all, we've a culture secretary who hates the BBC, a justice secretary who as with the last one has zero qualifications or experience in law - and best of all, a health secretary who knows only how to flog get-rich-quick schemes that he personally endorses using his multiple personalities.

Spivs, chancers, morons, and ideologues - the whole damn bunch. Led by a preening popinjay who is so conceited he is wasting no time in leaving his minions to fuck up the country while he ponces about pretending to be an international statesman.

Have we had the "my friend Barack called to tell me how wonderful I am" yet?

We are all in for some rough times. I do not think this government can last - the policies they can implement (social security, justice, education) will lead to social unrest, and the ones they can't (the future of the Union, the EU, immigration) will leave them looking like total arseholes. Cameron simply isn't competent enough to get all this stuff through - and long before that, we can expect the economy to cause more headaches because Osborne is an incompetent twunt too.

It's a mess. I just hope too many people and our country in general aren't irrevocably ruined.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Graham Allen MP ‏@GrahamAllenMP 2m2 minutes ago
The new Tory party meeting in Parliament today.We lost-were we not enough like them or were we too much like them?
Be great if we didn't have to reference everything against the Tories, wouldn't it?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

George Eaton @georgeeaton · 3m 3 minutes ago
Lib Dems have gained 7,000 members since the election - British love of the underdog.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Eaton @georgeeaton · 3m 3 minutes ago
Lib Dems have gained 7,000 members since the election - British love of the underdog.
Britain loved making them an underdog.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 10m10 minutes ago
Cameron to journalists: "You were all too nice to Labour."
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

SpinningHugo wrote:

I don't agree.

Yes I agree with that last point.

However there are a number of conflicting issues.

1. We need to get UKIP Labour back. This is a very different group from 2 (hint Chukka is toxic here).
2. We need to start to grab soft Tories including those tactically voting Lib Dems.
3. We need to re-build Labour North of the border.
4. We need to kill off the SNP contamination in England and Wales (the key reason we lost and the Lib Dems got slaughtered).

The fantasy that if only we moved rightwards business would love us and we would get our Kippers back is dangerous rubbish (The Peter Mandleson I met back in the day would have thought more deeply about this). We actually need to simultaneously face about three ways, very tricky to do. We must not appoint a London metropolitan playboy, or a failed charisma free policy wonk.

However the landscape will change in 5 years, not sure which way though. The Tories are going to make a huge number of people very poor, but the arguments will move to the right. So we need flexibility and yes we do need a bigger tent.

So we need a candidate who can address these issues, it isn't Umanna, it definitely isn't David Useless Miliband. It might have been Jarvis (the only candidate the Tories were scared of), who should be asked to reconsider.

Burnham maybe he guy, Hunt definitely is not it.

Oh and whoever wins get AC back in charge of media messaging and put in a local machine to access disengaged voters, plus do a deal with the rump of the Lib Dems because we need them to recover in the South West.
Release the Guardvarks.
minch
Backbencher

Post by minch »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Worth a read https://blog.lboro.ac.uk/general-electi ... -report-4/
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Tories are equally as vulnerable to such "events", however, and that's what provides hope.
They most certainly are, Willow904.

Good-morning, everyone.
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Oh and whoever wins get AC back in charge of media messaging and put in a local machine to access disengaged voters.....
Amen to that. I know Campbell has more baggage than Heathrow's Terminal Five but I suspect Thursday's result could have been very different with him on board.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

I think fox-hunting is likely to cause a few ructions. It gets people animated and most people are opposed to it.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
What?

What???

Delusional. Or just a wind up merchant.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Willow904 wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

I don't agree.

We're going to be shafted over the next 5 years because Tony Blair DIDN'T CHANGE ANYTHING.

http://rt.com/op-edge/257349-uk-general ... Qs.twitter

I just think that that bears repeating. And whoever we end up with as leader needs to have that truth, as I see it, very much at the front of their mind.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ephemerid wrote:Lovely Paul, hope you get everything done you need to do and have a break - but don't be away too long. Please.

Whoever it was who said they have to clean behind the fridge, I hope they don't stay away too long either, or I'll start being worried about Romanians and ostentatious breast-feeding. It's absolutely everywhere, apparently.

Angela Eagle. Funny, female, with a mind like a razor and a tongue like a whip (when it suits). She's been an MP since 1992, knows everything and everyone, and would make mincemeat of TCC. I think she'd be a good leader. Until Ed comes back. Obviously.

NB - "TCC" (TM) is, I think, the creation of Lone Wolfie (please correct me if I'm wrong) and stands for That C**t Cameron.
I would like to formally announce the retirement of OGRFG and replace the title with TCC.

Thanks for the comment on the other thing wot I wrote - some great ideas there.
Brilliant post, my friend!
Labour, just go for it, yeah?
Angela Eagle.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
What?

What???

Delusional. Or just a wind up merchant.
Dave's never known anything, he won't know now.
Don't look for sanity where none exists.
Keep together - one step after another.
Make it up the hill.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@rebeccariots2

Hello. I've been pondering your comment about Angela and Maria Eagle, but I don't think I really understand what you're getting at. Would you explain what you mean to me, please?

Edit

Or possibly - Would you explain to me what you mean, please?
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 11 May, 2015 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

minch wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Worth a read https://blog.lboro.ac.uk/general-electi ... -report-4/
Well those of us thinking that the influence of the press - print and TV might be waning - probably need to think again after looking at that. It's very stark. There's one instance where the amount of national press coverage for the two main parties mirror the percentages of votes they won on the night itself ... And the rest is pretty scary when you look at the positive/negative coverage and the relative lack of coverage of substantive policy rather than coverage about the 'horse race' itself and the characters.

Thank you. I think.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:@rebeccariots2

Hello. I've been pondering your comment about Angela and Maria Eagle, but I don't think I really understand what you're getting at. Would you explain what you mean to me, please?
Me being too wry and daft I expect. I was pointing out - or rather not pointing out - what a bloody field day the media and those agin Labour had with the two Miliband brothers contest, stabbing in the back etc etc. I just felt it wouldn't be past our glorious media to latch on to the two siblings pattern again ... whether or not both Eagles were involved in any of the contests / jockeying for positions.

Editing to add: For the record, I rate both the Eagles.
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Mon 11 May, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

I see I'm not the only one using incendiary terms like "proto-fascist", which many people will say is disrespectful to those who fought in World War Two.

This is taken from a post on the IDS article at the Guardian:
"Nor will I be disappointed not to experience the results of the proto-fascism that's rearing its grisly head right now. It's the utter idiocy, the sheer wrong-headedness of the response that beggars belief. I mean, your society's broken, so who should we blame? Should we blame the rich, powerful people who caused it? No let's blame the people with no power and no money and these immigrants who don't even have the vote, yeah it must be their fucking fault. So I might escape having to witness even greater catastrophe."

Taken from the final interview of the late, great, and much missed Iain Banks.

Says it all really.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

pk1 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

@PaulfromYorkshire

Hear hear !
Right on.
I ain' going elsewhere.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@rebeccariots2

Thanks for the reply.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard retweeted
steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes 7m7 minutes ago
Breaking: You're Fired: Sources claim Lord Sugar is set to resign from the Labour Party
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Oh and whoever wins get AC back in charge of media messaging and put in a local machine to access disengaged voters.....
Amen to that. I know Campbell has more baggage than Heathrow's Terminal Five but I suspect Thursday's result could have been very different with him on board.
I've always liked Alastair Campbell. Everything I've read recently from him (within the last year in particular) has been valuable, in my opinion.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 2m2 minutes ago
Lord Sugar quits Labour after 18 years attacking 'negative business policies and general anti-enterprise concepts' http://www.amshold.com/social_media/Lab ... 5-2015.JPG
There we are.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Sky'sGoneOut wrote:Fuck.

We're screwed.
Yep. That's rather how I'm feeling at the moment.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop