Tuesday 2nd June

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 2nd June

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Labour leadership contender Liz Kendall shares her vision for Wales and the lessons she takes from the UK election
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ll-9373203" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There's not much of a vision apparent here. Maybe she said more than this - I hope so. Saying she would work with and listen to Carwyn Jones seems to be stating the bleeding obvious.
She could maybe learn a few things from him too......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Working parents can’t rely on a government that gives with one hand and takes with the other

http://labourlist.org/2015/06/working-p ... the-other/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
David Stringer retweeted
Thomas Penny ‏@ThomasWPenny 54m54 minutes ago
Did I really hear Jeremy Hunt refer to ``the unit price of a nurse''? Can management speak get anymore dehumanising?
It already has. Lord Freud and 'stock'. Will never be able, or want, to forget that.
'unit price of a nurse'
'unit price of an MP'

Apparently, the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) is a body too powerful for Tory government to take on. Tories order housing associations to sell their property, appoint democratically unelected mayoral persons in charge of regions, sell NHS property, schools, Royal Mail, banks, refuse to implement pay raises for nurses, teachers for years, deny lawful entitlements to people all over the country without recourse to justice, scrap human rights legislation...but there's no way a Tory government can stop the IPSA. Someone ring up IPSA. That powerful organisation may be the Tory nemesis. I can see opportunity where there was once obstruction.
The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (Ipsa) set up to regulate MPs’ pay has recommended a 10% increase in their salaries...
Cameron’s official spokeswoman said the prime minister did not have the power to stop the pay rise and would not voluntarily give it up himself if it happens.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-53161840" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We announce Party members’ choice for next leader

...we bring you our first-ever poll of Party members’ views about who Labour’s next leader should be.
And their verdict is: Liz Kendall.
Almost 750 Party member readers responded to the survey.
We apologise to Kendall for any damage caused.

Paul Goodman
June 2, 2015

http://www.conservativehome.com/thetory ... ndall.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jesus, that took some coordination, well done, guys.
Every Tory member responded.
Kendall get up your nose or what.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sarah Champion MP retweeted
Community Union ‏@CommunityUnion · 4h4 hours ago
Thanks to @SarahChampionMP for her support of steelworkers standing up to Tata. http://www.sarahchampion.org.uk/sarah_l ... ing_strike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

http://www.sarahchampion.org.uk/sarah_l ... ing_strike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Commenting on her support for the steel workers, Sarah Champion said:
“Strike action should always be a last resort, but in this instance, I believe it is. Our local steel workers have tried everything to negotiate with Tata’s bosses over changes to their pension scheme, but nothing constructive has happened.

“For me, this is about treating your workers with fairness. It’s not fair to expect them to work all their lives, pay into a pension scheme on the basis of retiring at 60, and then suddenly be told that they can’t do that now and they have to work another five years. Working in the steel industry is hard physical work and we should be mindful of the toll it takes.

“I am hopeful that a deal can be reached before the planned strike, but if not, my support will lie firmly with the workers.”
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Just occurred to me that Charles Kennedy was almost exactly the same age as John Smith when he died. Something very spooky about that, somehow :(
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Just occurred to me that Charles Kennedy was almost exactly the same age as John Smith when he died. Something very spooky about that, somehow :(
Well. That was a real conversation stopper!
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Sepp Blatter to resign as Fifa president – live updates

http://www.theguardian.com/football/liv ... laims-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

AngryAsWell wrote:Sepp Blatter to resign as Fifa president – live updates

http://www.theguardian.com/football/liv ... laims-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
As I predicted he hasn't lasted a month.

The fundamental reason he has gone is the following:

Under global anti corruption laws the company as well as the individual is held responsible. When significant wrongdoing is uncovered at a company they usually have to:

1. Demonstrate they took swift action the second they discovered it.
2. Restructured and reform to prevent reoccurrence.
3. Fully cooperate with the investigation.
4. Fund the cost of an independent forensic investigation.
5. Often pay for a compliance office to be put in place.

Failure to do 1-5 results in a huge huge fine. FIFA is already stuffed on point 1, to carry on subsequent to the latest allegation without step 2 would have cost multiple billions.

Since Blatter was seen as the problem the lawyers advice would be he had to go as part of demonstrating 1 (belatedly) and 2.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Pam Ayres ‏@PamAyres 16 minutes ago

Tarnished now where once it shone,
The president of FIFA's gone
Mr. Blatter, feline, plump,
Was he pushed or did he jump?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 11m11 minutes ago
This is a wonderful piece of writing >> The Charles Kennedy I knew, by Danny Alexander http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... alexander/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Suspend any adverse judgements of Danny Alexander you may have - it is a wonderful piece of writing - and has made me even sadder that Charles Kennedy has gone.
Working on the wild side.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Glad to see Blatter gone and hopefully a full shakedown of FIFA is in the offing- I don't think replacing with Jordanian royalty or any of the others mentioned is really a step forward though

International sport has money flooding around it, and I am sure this is just one example of many - Blatter makes a good 'Hooded Claw' villain to the Anglo-Saxon press but forgive me if I feel a bit nauseous at the gross hypocrisy going on - remind me again under which jurisdiction do many of these 'tax havens' operate under - perhaps we could demonise out own Government's lack of interest rather than demonising one man, probably fairly small fry in the corruption business.....

The fact is that there is so much money flooding around at the moment, especially the flow of money from Government to 3rd party suppliers and the rush to outsourcing in global companies with absolutely no evidence of actual 'efficiency' savings - does anyone think that the likes of Serco, Cap Gemini and others of their type are providing a decent service to anyone - they are cheaper but that word 'Quality' seems to be completely forgotten - anyone can do something cheaper the skill is in providing the same quality. I am convinced backhanders are finding their way into the pockets of those making decisions - if not then I fail to understand what they are making them for. The whole edifice of Western Government and the relationship between it and high finance and business stinks to high heaven. Blatter has been got now, who will be the next scapegoat to prevent attention being directed where it isn't wanted....

I am sure there are corrupt practices going on everywhere - and FIFA is just small beer compared to a lot of the others - it just happens that it is an easy and popular target......where did all the Iraq money go for example?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Steve Bell on Charles Kennedy.jpg
Steve Bell on Charles Kennedy.jpg (38 KiB) Viewed 5857 times
The Guardian ‏@guardian 36m36 minutes ago
Steve Bell on Charles Kennedy – cartoon http://t.gu.com/NMGmS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Steve Bell on Charles Kennedy.jpg
The Guardian ‏@guardian 36m36 minutes ago
Steve Bell on Charles Kennedy – cartoon http://t.gu.com/NMGmS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

so simple but poignant - he seems to have been truly liked by those who knew him

As I said earlier - the loss of Kennedy has compounded the despair I feel about politics in 2015, and the loss of so many good MPs to much weaker ones in May

I compare him to TCC and just shake my head....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, ForFavor
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Published this afternoon in the G
The former Scottish secretary, Alistair Carmichael, is being investigated by parliament’s ethics watchdog after admitting he approved the leaking of an official Whitehall memo intended to damage Nicola Sturgeon.

Kathryn Hudson, the parliamentary standards commissioner, has launched an inquiry into Carmichael, the only Liberal Democrat MP left in Scotland, after receiving a number of complaints.

She will look into whether the Orkney and Shetland MP broke the Commons code of conduct in three separate areas: the requirement of MPs to “base their conduct on a consideration of the public interest”; ensure that “information which members receive in confidence in the course of their parliamentary duties should be used only in connection with those duties”; and not to “undertake any action which would cause significant damage to the reputation and integrity of the House of Commons as a whole, or of its members generally”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... estigation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm shocked an MP could do what Carmichael has admitted doing & remain standing this long.
Whatever.
Mission accomplished, I guess.

HSBC are going to let go 20,000 staff.
I read it somewhere in the G, I think.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

Post by thatchersorphan »

BBC election coverage became 'infected' by speculation of Labour-SNP coalition, head of news admits http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 92175.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:Published this afternoon in the G
The former Scottish secretary, Alistair Carmichael, is being investigated by parliament’s ethics watchdog after admitting he approved the leaking of an official Whitehall memo intended to damage Nicola Sturgeon.

Kathryn Hudson, the parliamentary standards commissioner, has launched an inquiry into Carmichael, the only Liberal Democrat MP left in Scotland, after receiving a number of complaints.

She will look into whether the Orkney and Shetland MP broke the Commons code of conduct in three separate areas: the requirement of MPs to “base their conduct on a consideration of the public interest”; ensure that “information which members receive in confidence in the course of their parliamentary duties should be used only in connection with those duties”; and not to “undertake any action which would cause significant damage to the reputation and integrity of the House of Commons as a whole, or of its members generally”.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... estigation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm shocked an MP could do what Carmichael has admitted doing & remain standing this long.
Whatever.
Mission accomplished, I guess.

HSBC are going to let go 20,000 staff.
I read it somewhere in the G, I think.
When NS has got away with the most blatant lies ever (Labour voted for 30million cuts for one) and the intimidation of Labour canvassers & MP's by SNP is take into account, not to mention the Conservative who gave UKIP data to help them take votes off Labour in a marginal seat, I don't think Carmichael did very much wrong. Not saying he was right... but on the scale of the dismal election of lies, misleading and conniving, he was just playing by the perceived "rules" of the day.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Probably my last word on the FIFA front, as it starting to become football gossip. Do not underestimate how big a deal the investigation is, it was a spectacular level of corruption. I doubt that there is much else on that scale around (these days at least).

However not everything Blatter did was bad. He kept the money and power away from the rich clubs of UEFA, and spent it instead in developing the game in Africa and Asia. This should continue in my view.

As for who follows him, not some Jordanian prince and not Platini. They are both too associated with old FIFA in my view. Whoever it is needs to be fresh and untainted even by association with what has gone on.

Ed Miliband is of course rested and ready :-)
Release the Guardvarks.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AngryAsWell wrote: When NS has got away with the most blatant lies ever (Labour voted for 30million cuts for one) and the intimidation of Labour canvassers & MP's by SNP is take into account, not to mention the Conservative who gave UKIP data to help them take votes off Labour in a marginal seat, I don't think Carmichael did very much wrong. Not saying he was right... but on the scale of the dismal election of lies, misleading and conniving, he was just playing by the perceived "rules" of the day.
I'd be more concerned about what he did if it had been against his opponent(s) in his constituency. In fact it was against somebody (NS) who wasn't even standing in the election.
I'd be more concerned if the court action had been instigated by constituents who had voted for him and not SNP members and activists.
I'd be more concerned if the content of the memo had been proved to be incorrect. The Cabinet Secretary didn't seem to be convinced that it was. (The Ambassador was predictably diplomatic and NS was equally predictable).
I can guess which group of MPs asked the Parliamentary authorities to investigate - even though the facts are known.
He was wrong to do it and he's apologised. It's a storm in a teacup, or a witch hunt, depending on one's point of view.
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Probably my last word on the FIFA front, as it starting to become football gossip. Do not underestimate how big a deal the investigation is, it was a spectacular level of corruption. I doubt that there is much else on that scale around (these days at least).

However not everything Blatter did was bad. He kept the money and power away from the rich clubs of UEFA, and spent it instead in developing the game in Africa and Asia. This should continue in my view.

As for who follows him, not some Jordanian prince and not Platini. They are both too associated with old FIFA in my view. Whoever it is needs to be fresh and untainted even by association with what has gone on.

Alistair Campbell knows his football too
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

thatchersorphan wrote:BBC election coverage became 'infected' by speculation of Labour-SNP coalition, head of news admits http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 92175.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
infected is exactly the right word. It's how the whole of British politics and media feel right now.
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Andy Burnham pushes Labour to set up separate pro-European Union campaign
Labour leadership contender believes backlash against Labour in Scotland after the independence vote was caused by campaigning alongside the Tories

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tonibel wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:Probably my last word on the FIFA front, as it starting to become football gossip. Do not underestimate how big a deal the investigation is, it was a spectacular level of corruption. I doubt that there is much else on that scale around (these days at least).

Alistair Campbell knows his football too
Ed Balls
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Is this a prelude to Johann Lamont joining the SNP?
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3789958
FORMER Labour leader Johann Lamont has warned there will be “no quick fix” to the party’s problems in Scotland.
Ms Lamont says that simply changing the leader won’t be a solution after the party was given a “lesson” in how to run a campaign by the SNP in the recent election.
Seems she's OK with rolling out the thugs to shout down and physically harass the opposition.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

So in the last two days we've had:

Amber Rudd 'demanding' energy companies slash prices to the consumer

and

Jeremy Hunt saying he will 'cap' the amounts that agencies can charge the NHS for supplying doctors and nurses

State intervention in markets - terrible when Labour suggests it as necessary - but somehow right when the Conservatives say it has to happen? Not to mention that the gross spending increase in agency staffing supply in the NHS is pretty much a direct result of the Tories cutting nurse numbers and training places ... and a stinking indictment of their mantra that privatisation increases efficiency through competition.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tory hypocrites beg SNP for help landing lucrative Commons jobs - weeks after demonising them

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/to ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love
cJA
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

http://www.leftfutures.org/2015/06/devo ... poorhouse/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Devo Manc: ‘Northern Powerhouse’ or northern poorhouse?
thatchersorphan
Committee Chair

https://futurelabour.wordpress.com/2015 ... r-go-next/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; by Matthew Galtress
This is not a post I wanted to write; I wanted to be reflecting on an election victory and the return of a Labour Government. However, we are where we are, and in the coming months we are going to engage in a debate on not just who Labour’s leader should be, but in which direction it should go next
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: When NS has got away with the most blatant lies ever (Labour voted for 30million cuts for one) and the intimidation of Labour canvassers & MP's by SNP is take into account, not to mention the Conservative who gave UKIP data to help them take votes off Labour in a marginal seat, I don't think Carmichael did very much wrong. Not saying he was right... but on the scale of the dismal election of lies, misleading and conniving, he was just playing by the perceived "rules" of the day.
I'd be more concerned about what he did if it had been against his opponent(s) in his constituency. In fact it was against somebody (NS) who wasn't even standing in the election.
I'd be more concerned if the court action had been instigated by constituents who had voted for him and not SNP members and activists.
I'd be more concerned if the content of the memo had been proved to be incorrect. The Cabinet Secretary didn't seem to be convinced that it was. (The Ambassador was predictably diplomatic and NS was equally predictable).
I can guess which group of MPs asked the Parliamentary authorities to investigate - even though the facts are known.
He was wrong to do it and he's apologised. It's a storm in a teacup, or a witch hunt, depending on one's point of view.
*sigh*

The to do isn't over what he did or didn't do. It's because he blatantly lied about it during the election campaign. It wasn't merely a sin of omission [and lets not even go there at the moment as to whether that would be OK]. When asked at the time, he clearly stated he knew nothing about it etc. Now he has admitted that he in fact endorsed the release of the memo. He blatantly and knowingly lied. Why are people making excuses for that? I don't care what party he belongs to, I don't care about the 'political' outcome if there is a by election eventually. The fact is, until we stop making excuses for this type of behaviour, we can't expect politicians of any persuasion to be honest or reliable.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.