Thursday 4th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor
Location: Stockport, Great Manchester in body, the Lake District at heart

Re: Thursday 4th June 2015

Post by mbc1955 »

Hello again.

I'm reading here again for the first time since.

I can't go anywhere near Wintour's piece, even if it were 100% neutral and unslanted and accurate. I can't read anything about the leadership election. The problem is that, as an ex-Liberal who initially saw voting Labour as an anti-Tory necessity, the only Labour leader I can now believe in is Ed Milliband, and if Labour are falling over themselves to run away from the policies he was planning, there really isn't anything in the party worth voting for any more.

Still lost in the miasma of Tory pollution...
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

giselle97 wrote:Warning - if you can curb your anger, you're way ahead of me. :fire:

Editorial 4th June 2015: Rough transcript of Jeremy Hunt's speech to NHS Confederation conference
http://www.healthpolicyinsight.com/?q=node/1598
Values section
A Buddhist monk advised me that we should seek 'leadership by values'. And values are not just something of the NHS big names: they're what the people we see every day do.

Clinicians going the extra, in many ways: that is leadership by values, and what in the end our entire NHS is built on: safer care, higher quality, lower costs. It's about being patient-led and patient-driven. It's about a dream not just of universal access, but universal quality. Not just my dream: that of over a million staff in NHS mustn't let them down.

- Jeremy Hunt

http://www.healthpolicyinsight.com/?q=node/1598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's it.
Done.
Over.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

mbc1955 wrote:Hello again.

I can't go anywhere near Wintour's piece, even if it were 100% neutral and unslanted and accurate. I can't read anything about the leadership election. The problem is that, as an ex-Liberal who initially saw voting Labour as an anti-Tory necessity, the only Labour leader I can now believe in is Ed Milliband, and if Labour are falling over themselves to run away from the policies he was planning, there really isn't anything in the party worth voting for any more.

I think some are falling for media spin (even as they decry it) about what the leadership candidates are saying.

Only one person is really doing this, and they are not going to win (I very sincerely hope)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mbc1955 wrote:Hello again.

A few wealthy & influential people want everyone to go on not thinking there's no one worth voting for in the Labour party.
It's how they've stolen this GE from the regular people & why would they stop now?
No joke, people, let's rally ourselves & run for Labour leadership ourselves if that's what it takes - make noise.
Someone get in contact with Ed Miliband & other Labour party people, the real live people, keep contacting them to get to their words, their ideas, the real people - go talk with Labour council members locally - get in there & work together.
My head aches so bad I can't look at the light.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Eric_WLothian wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Afternoon peeps. So he did say it.
Salmond Says Behave Yourself Woman.jpg
Not even the knowledge that it was aimed at Anna Soubry makes that acceptable.
Yet the cybernats spring to his defence (no surprise there).

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3792650
What does surprise me is how many people don't seem to understand why it's sexist ... hint to them, it's not just because he used the word woman.
Behave is such a Tory word.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

tinybgoat wrote:By Patrick Wintour:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... t-election

Still awaiting his "Ed Miliband, My part in his downfall."

Whilst googling to try and see if his middle name, has an 'e' in it (for anagrams)
found link to an old blog:

"The Incredibly Talentless Patrick Wintour."

https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives ... ncredibly/
Hey, thanks for the Craig Murray introduction.
What I've read briefly in his articles, I like a lot.
Not just because he rightly classifies Wintour.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sophy Ridge ‏@SophyRidgeSky 1m1 minute ago
George Osborne announces the Government is to sell its remaining 30% stake in Royal Mail, worth around £1.5bn

George Osborne: Holding £1.5bn of Royal Mail shares is "not a sensible use of taxpayers money"
I wish someone would teach him some common sense. We issued the f*cking shares, they didn't cost us anything. :wall:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
George Osborne announces the Government is to sell its remaining 30% stake in Royal Mail, worth around £1.5bn

George Osborne: Holding £1.5bn of Royal Mail shares is "not a sensible use of taxpayers money"
I wish someone would teach him some common sense. We issued the f*cking shares, they didn't cost us anything. :wall:
See here - this.
Why isn't he held responsible now, right now, for telling such an outrageously simple-minded lie that will shaft the property of the UK people?
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

citizenJA wrote:
refitman wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
See here - this.
Why isn't he held responsible now, right now, for telling such an outrageously simple-minded lie that will shaft the property of the UK people?
Because the Press are on his side and are just as mendacious as he is.
The truth ferret speaks!
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The Scourging Angel: The Black Death in the British Isles
published 2009

Public Debt Management Bill
A Bill to limit government budget deficits; to introduce a ceiling on public debt.
published 7th November 2012

By Ben Gummer, Tory MP for Ipswich & Under-Secretary of Health
Today's House of Commons debates
Thursday 04 June 2015
Version: Uncorrected | Updated 13:07

The Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Health (Ben Gummer):
I welcome the success regime, details of which were published by Monitor yesterday.

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publi ... known/200/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May god have mercy on us all.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

mbc1955 wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
refitman wrote: I wish someone would teach him some common sense. We issued the f*cking shares, they didn't cost us anything. :wall:
See here - this.
Because the Press are on his side and are just as mendacious as he is.
Yes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Andy Burnham MP, Labour’s Shadow Health Secretary, commenting on today’s abolition of a number of NHS waiting-time standards

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1206871 ... ber-of-nhs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:
2015-06-04_125957.jpg
https://twitter.com/THEEDGELondon/statu ... 2323129344
Hoping to appeal to and win back all the white, working class who voted UKIP. I've said it from day one.
Realistically they're the ones they have to claw back.

Me? I'd let 'em rot. But UKIPs where many Labour votes have leaked to.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I still get the urge to weep at how we lost the best PM the country could have had.

I am sick of this country and many of the people in it.
I doubt I'll bother to vote. Can't say any of the others appeal to me. It's all sound bites.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:I still get the urge to weep at how we lost the best PM the country could have had.

I doubt I'll bother to vote. Can't say any of the others appeal to me. It's all sound bites.
Please hold my hand
I'm sorry
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:I still get the urge to weep at how we lost the best PM the country could have had.

Do that, and you are letting the bad people win.

Remember that there are people struggling for justice and freedom across the world in conditions far worse than ours.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Your post will shortly be moved to the "members only" section. Have a nice day :)
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Your post will shortly be moved to the "members only" section. Have a nice day :)
Now you look like you've gone mad. :D
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

refitman wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Your post will shortly be moved to the "members only" section. Have a nice day :)

I feel like I've gone mad. What am I missing?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I feel the same. But I'll vote, anyway,
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

PorFavor wrote:
refitman wrote:

A visitor of the feathered variety.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

PorFavor wrote:
refitman wrote:

Passing troll. :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Who moi? I'm still angry.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:Who moi? I'm still angry.
No - not you. It was someone else who came and was relocated faster than you could say "Chick". I missed it, too.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Chancellor unveils £4.5bn extra savings including Royal Mail stake sell-off
Savings announced by George Osborne on top of £13bn cuts already announced will hit government departments, prompting IFS warning

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ke-selloff" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)

These words don't make any sense strung together.
How is it extra 'savings'?
The word savings is being used synonymously with cuts
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Who moi? I'm still angry.
No - not you. It was someone else who came and was relocated faster than you could say "Chick". I missed it, too.
Fowl creature

mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

Remember that there are people struggling for justice and freedom across the world in conditions far worse than ours.
I understand exactly how Ohso feels, and whilst your words are true, for me it's not a case of letting the bad people win, they have won, and they can do what the f*** they want with the board now. Call me a coward if you like but I do feel that downhearted.
The truth ferret speaks!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Its just four weeks - four weeks! - ago from now that we were all nervously, but eagerly, waiting for 10 PM and the exit poll.

Encouraged by all those reports of huge turnouts, if nothing else......

Had a glance at Wintour's piece today - I could pick holes in it as many others could and in some cases have, but the thing that struck me was that Ed's team and party HQ seemed to have no idea what was coming and remained cautiously optimistic even with an hour or two of polling to go. Some have said elsewhere that they started to get "bad vibes" a few days out from the election (as in 1992) but the fact the final polls showed a slight move *to* Labour (unlike then) reassured them.

Worth remembering that even Crosby was "only" citing about 300 Tory seats on polling day - and that was widely considered (by some Tories, too) as wildly optimistic......

Still not totally sure what the hell happened :?:
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The election defeat is still the first thought that comes into my head as I wake up every morning. I wonder how long that will keep happening.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

I don't know if any of you have seen a video of Ed giving a speech today in the commons,it's very good and quite funny.
I should have said,it's in the guardian.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:The election defeat is still the first thought that comes into my head as I wake up every morning. I wonder how long that will keep happening.
I'm not reading much news. Or doing much on Twitter. There doesn't seem any point. Twitter didn't reach as many people as hoped. Many thought putting a few words on a social medium would do the trick and didn't get off their asses to vote.

The poor devils who are still posting some of the atrocious things the Conservatives have done, and are doing might as well be bashing their heads against a wall. It didn't work four weeks ago, so how's it going to work now? They are basically preaching to the converted...And it's not us that need converting.

Newspapers are beginning to print retractions about Stafford hospital, to which I say [excuse the language] a bit fucking late.

And sorry, but from where I'm standing the leadership hasn't thrown up anyone that can equal Ed let alone be better than him.
I'm reluctant to vote for second best. He was the reason I came back into the fold...Daft voting for a person rather than a party, but his vision of Labour was mine and I liked his integrity.

Oh well....
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

mbc1955 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:

I understand exactly how Ohso feels, and whilst your words are true, for me it's not a case of letting the bad people win, they have won, and they can do what the f*** they want with the board now. Call me a coward if you like but I do feel that downhearted.
No they haven't won - not the total and permanent victory they crave (but will never actually achieve) anyway.

If you need to take a break, then that is totally understandable and I know where you are coming from - believe me. But in the end "don't mourn, organise".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JustMom wrote:I don't know if any of you have seen a video of Ed giving a speech today in the commons,it's very good and quite funny.
Like your avatar....
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Michael Moran ‏@TheMichaelMoran 3h3 hours ago
Cameron stepfather-in-law can’t remember whether he owns 18,736-acre Scottish estate (registered in tax haven) http://politicalscrapbook.net/2015/06/c ... ish-estate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
PorFavor wrote:The election defeat is still the first thought that comes into my head as I wake up every morning. I wonder how long that will keep happening.
I'm not reading much news. Or doing much on Twitter. There doesn't seem any point. Twitter didn't reach as many people as hoped. Many thought putting a few words on a social medium would do the trick and didn't get off their asses to vote.

The poor devils who are still posting some of the atrocious things the Conservatives have done, and are doing might as well be bashing their heads against a wall. It didn't work four weeks ago, so how's it going to work now? They are basically preaching to the converted...And it's not us that need converting.

Newspapers are beginning to print retractions about Stafford hospital, to which I say [excuse the language] a bit fucking late.

And sorry, but from where I'm standing the leadership hasn't thrown up anyone that can equal Ed let alone be better than him.
I'm reluctant to vote for second best. He was the reason I came back into the fold...Daft voting for a person rather than a party, but his vision of Labour was mine and I liked his integrity.

Oh well....
Yes - I noticed the Mid Staffs story retractions as well. We were up to no 76 today apparently.

I have found myself wondering if Burnham will need to, or should, threaten legal action against those who continue to peddle various stories about his so called responsibility for what happened ... and then I think that may do more damage through just creating even more focus on it.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

In all this FIFA stuff, I can't help feeling the world is missing a key question.

- Does the release of the FIFA film United Passions, mean that Plan 9 From Outer Space is no longer the worst film ever made?
Release the Guardvarks.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

ohsocynical wrote:
JustMom wrote:I don't know if any of you have seen a video of Ed giving a speech today in the commons,it's very good and quite funny.
Like your avatar....

Thanks ohso.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:In all this FIFA stuff, I can't help feeling the world is missing a key question.

- Does the release of the FIFA film United Passions, mean that Plan 9 From Outer Space is no longer the worst film ever made?
I'm thanking you for that post as it's the most incomprehensible (to me) one so far today ... I thank you for your wonderful offsideness.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jim Pickard ‏@PickardJE 3m3 minutes ago
Ukip attacks "outrageous" rules change allowing government to promote EU in final month of referendum campaign
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ba52695c-0a96 ... z3c5kyysQR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; … FT
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Night PF :)
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:In all this FIFA stuff, I can't help feeling the world is missing a key question.

I'm thanking you for that post as it's the most incomprehensible (to me) one so far today ... I thank you for your wonderful offsideness.
Plan 9 from outer space, famously listed as the worst film ever made.

Here is the trailer, it has all the best special effects.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ukRYsYPmo&sns=em

United Passions a film about FIFA, funded by FIFA and resembling Stalinist propaganda. In which a league of A list movie stars play people like Sepp Blatter (aka paying the rent).

http://youtu.be/JCjeD-Jqd2s

To be fair Plan 9 resulted in the more recent, and rather better, film about its director Ed Wood. I doubt United Passions has a legacy beyond comedy.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Charlotte Church says she would pay tax at 70% to protect public services
Singer was promoting an anti-austerity protest planned for 20 June

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... c-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meanwhile Yvette Cooper is being given a hard time in advance of visiting Scotland. And I'm seeing tweets from SNP supporters angry at the suggestion by a Labour lord that if the SNP wants to avoid the big cuts imposed by the Tories on public services they could always raise some more money through taxes. They (SNP) have the power to do this - but haven't.

I contrast this with the real progressive attitude shown by the two Scandinavian women on Womans Hour yesterday talking about childcare, women working, women's roles and levels of happiness and contentment in their respective countries. The Danish woman said she had experienced really good childcare support and other public services and was happy to pay 50% tax to have that. Of course - I wonder what average wage levels - cost of housing etc - are like in Denmark to achieve that balance and affordability for most people. I'm guessing they don't have the runaway housing costs that we do for starters.
mbc1955
Lord Chancellor

Post by mbc1955 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
mbc1955 wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote: Do that, and you are letting the bad people win.

No they haven't won - not the total and permanent victory they crave (but will never actually achieve) anyway.

If you need to take a break, then that is totally understandable and I know where you are coming from - believe me. But in the end "don't mourn, organise".
Again, your words are correct - in my head.

But total and permanent victory isn't always necessary. They've got five years, in which they will do a lot of damage, in every sphere possible, damage that it will not be possible for a very long time to undo, and that is before we consider in how many ways they will make the path back into power for their opponents as nearly impossible to tread as they can. I'd love to think I've got twenty years left, but the truth is that it will probably more likely be ten, and that's assumig I don't fall into any of the cracks, which they will do their damnedest to ensure are more frequent and wider.

I don't see the tide turning back in my lifetime. That's what scares me.

Look, it's been nice to pop back and talk with people again, but I'm just not ready for it. At the moment, I can only be unremittingly negative and that helps no-one. Keep the faith, and if ever I regain any, I'll come and talk again.
The truth ferret speaks!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/j ... c-services" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Meanwhile Yvette Cooper is being given a hard time in advance of visiting Scotland. And I'm seeing tweets from SNP supporters angry at the suggestion by a Labour lord that if the SNP wants to avoid the big cuts imposed by the Tories on public services they could always raise some more money through taxes. They (SNP) have the power to do this - but haven't.

I contrast this with the real progressive attitude shown by the two Scandinavian women on Womans Hour yesterday talking about childcare, women working, women's roles and levels of happiness and contentment in their respective countries. The Danish woman said she had experienced really good childcare support and other public services and was happy to pay 50% tax to have that. Of course - I wonder what average wage levels - cost of housing etc - are like in Denmark to achieve that balance and affordability for most people. I'm guessing they don't have the runaway housing costs that we do for starters.

http://www.movehub.com/denmark/copenhag ... rom-the-uk
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@mbc1955: Thank you for popping in. It's good to see you and I hope you'll be back soon – but we'll keep a seat warm for you, however long it takes.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:@mbc1955: Thank you for popping in. It's good to see you and I hope you'll be back soon – but we'll keep a seat warm for you, however long it takes.
I'll echo LadyC in that mbc1955. There are lots of us feeling very very gloomy about the foreseeable future ... I had just been wondering how you were when you appeared today. I hope you'll feel like chipping in again ... take care meanwhile.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

http://www.movehub.com/denmark/copenhag ... rom-the-uk
That park looks remarkably green and well tended.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Shaun Lintern
‏@ShaunLintern
Exclusive: NICE stops all work on safe nurse staffing, a key Francis report recommendation: http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/exclusive-nic ... 45.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?

Shaun Lintern ‏@ShaunLintern 9m9 minutes ago
Shaun Lintern retweeted Shaun Lintern
@sarahwollaston @bengoldacre Hi both, you can see my full story here & I can confirm NHS England told NICE to stop:
Meanwhile in Wales ... and with credit to Kirsty Williams / Lib Dems ...
Kirsty Williams’ Nursing bill passes its first parliamentary hurdle
http://www.libdemvoice.org/kirsty-willi ... 46256.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good news from Wales – Kirsty Williams’ Bill which would stipulate minimum staffing levels for nurses has cleared its first parliamentary stage.

Nursing Times has the story:

If passed into law, the Safe Nurse Staffing Levels (Wales) Bill would see Wales become the first country in the UK with a legal duty on safe nurse staffing levels in acute settings.

Kirsty Williams, leader of the Welsh Democrats, who originally submitted the proposals for safe nurse staffing levels in hospitals, said she was “pleased” the idea had gained support from all parties.

The vote today in the Welsh Assembly represents the end of stage one of the bill. It will now progress to stage two where it will be considered for a second time by the assembley’s health and social care committee and face a first round of amendments.

Under the assembly’s normal process, the bill would then have to survive two further stages before it can become legislation.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dennis Skinner is endorsing Corby !!!

Food for thought!