Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 6th & Sunday 7th June 2015

Post by AngryAsWell »

Michael Rosen ‏@MichaelRosenYes · 5h5 hours ago
I hope all people interviewing @nickymorgan01 from now on, will remember that the number of failing academies is 133. Why convert?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Fox cubs found in drain in barn
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... n_on_barn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... SIXTEEN fox cubs have been rescued after police swooped on a North Yorkshire barn.
The animals, all aged between six to eight weeks, were found during a search of an outbuilding on the Birdsall Estates, near Malton.

Acting on intelligence received, officers searched the barn last Sunday and the cubs were then taken to an animal sanctuary outside the county.

They were being fed and had access to water, but police now need further information as to how they got in the barn, why they were there, and who put them there.

Local wildlife crime officer PC Jez Walmsley said: “These cubs had been taken out of the wild, and will have come from at least four different litters...
Wondering what's going on here - why would someone do this? From BTL:
Theydon'thaveavoice says...
The Middleton Hunt is based at Birdsall.

yvonne-gargett says...
They will be being reared to release for the hunt to chase.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

None political - but fascinating
"Haunting chalkboard drawings, frozen in time for 100 years, discovered in Oklahoma school"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... ma-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Kate Green MP
Labour Member of Parliament for Stretford and Urmston
to
Justin Tomlinson
Parliamentary Under Secretary of State
Dept for Work and Pensions

http://www.kategreen.org/images/justintomlinson.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Hi all,

Just a quickie - thanks to those of you who responded last night. In particular @frightfuloik - I agree there are members who will defend the right of me and others to contribute. Sadly you aren't in the majority. Or maybe the poisonous comments of yahyah are more noticeable. I feel free to name her now given she is ignoring my 'sighing and poking'. My apologies to you and everyone for my negativity but, I'm frankly fed up of the fact that such comments seem to be condoned and I, Tem, and anyone else who might argue the 'Green' position are expected to 'suck it up'.

In terms of political beliefs, I possibly have more in common with yahyah than for instance Spinning Hugo, but he is nowhere near as rude imo. I guess this is why Greens and Labour struggle to work together - too many Labour people who think they are somehow superior.*

Sorry also this is posted late in the evening. There have of course been digs about that too - but that is the way my life is at the moment. Making sarcastic digs about it is no different to Tory rhetoric about people going to work in the morning and seeing their neighbours curtains drawn, without considering the many and varied reasons the curtains may be drawn.

Well, not such a quick comment after all but if you look beyond the personal, you all might realise that this is a problem if you want to be more than an echo chamber. :(

edited to add *and sometimes Greens who try to take the moral high ground because they haven't been in the positions of power where compromise can sometimes be necessary.
Last edited by Tizme1 on Sat 06 Jun, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

AngryAsWell wrote:Michael Rosen ‏@MichaelRosenYes · 5h5 hours ago
I hope all people interviewing @nickymorgan01 from now on, will remember that the number of failing academies is 133. Why convert?
Martin Robinson is always worth reading.

https://martinrobborobinson.wordpress.c ... academies/
So on, somehow on marches ‘Academisation’, all business values and managerialism, being brought into an education sector that is itself falling for business values and managerialism without the need to be turned into academies but we’re sick of the either so we’ll try the other… Whether it works or not… But what works is our mantra, that Blairite creed: “What counts is what works…” has now turned into “What counts is what we say works…” which it always was but… somehow on…
Well quite.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
More people at risk of being evicted in Gloucester than anywhere else in South West
http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/peop ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... "Almost every week I go to court and deal with someone who says their problem is because they are in a zero hour's contract," said Mrs Whitworth.

"People don't know from week to week how much money is coming in and Housing benefits can take weeks and weeks to come through.

"But in the meantime people can't pay their rents which results in them getting evicted.

"There are so many people who can't afford to pay the shortfall from the Bedroom Tax."

According to Mrs Whitworth other issues affecting people's ability to pay rent is because of long periods of illness and also vulnerable clients such as drug and alcohol dependents.

However Gloucester MP Richard Graham believes this report is just a scaremongering tactic by Shelter and believes claims that thousands of people are at risk of losing their home are simply untrue.

"I just don't believe that the report is true," he said.

"To claim that people are at risk of losing their homes when banks are going through the sorts of processes to ensure people don't have their houses repossessed is just scaremongering.

"In the last five years I have not had one letter come across my desk of a constituent being evicted from their home.
Nice, eh. Perhaps he's just not considered an easily approachable chap by those constituents facing eviction. I wonder why that might be? And perhaps those facing imminent homelessness, or already evicted, aren't in the best position to be writing him letters and waiting for a reply.
It seems that Richard Graham MP is unable to tell the difference between people being evicted from their rented homes and people having their mortgaged homes repossessed. Or, perhaps, he doesn't think that people who rent are allowed to call the place they live in "home." I've heard people make that assertion – it's not your home, it belongs to your landlord – and I think they're thick, too.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Just a thought that occurred as I make my way to bed, and you may take my opinions as lightly as I do. Even when I myself don't want to. But I did notice a big no to Europe statement from Bamford, the JCB bloke, recently. Very chummy with Our Dave, apparently.

Could this suggest that a leaving of the EU (I refuse to use the "...-exit" formulation on the grounds of lazy journalists) might be something that Our Dave might actually allow to happen?

I have sometimes/generally/OK, almost always been proved wrong. But....I'm ready to be proved wrong again, and pointed in the direction of bed.

Goodnight.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

AngryAsWell wrote:None political - but fascinating
"Haunting chalkboard drawings, frozen in time for 100 years, discovered in Oklahoma school"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morn ... ma-school/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Those are wonderful to see, and it's great that they're going to be properly preserved. I wonder whether the pictures and lessons were done intentionally, on that day, in the knowledge that the 'new' blackboards were going to be installed over them? A time-capsule of sorts, featuring not just 'typical' lessons but also the best work of some of the pupils. It'd be amazing if the local historians could find any contemporary notes or diaries from the teachers or pupils of that time – and it isn't impossible that there's someone still alive who remembers that day. Hopefully someone could explain how that arithmetic circle thingy works...
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Was quite fascinated by this article, partly in response to an insomniacal 24 hours in which I slaked my thirst for sleep with a trawl around iPlayer, which offered two Click programmes on S Korea, and a couple of programmes focused on bread and milk production in today's Britain, all quite revealing. Also the programme about cleaners, from the cleaners view. This article also made me think about FTN and that it is indeed part of my personal learning network.

http://jarche.com/2015/06/preparing-for-2020/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
seeingclearly
Speaker of the House

Post by seeingclearly »

Learning disability unit temporarily closed after 'serious incidents'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-33021287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Mandy's got the hump. Well, he's going on the Sunday Politics North West to complain that Labour's plans for devolution to the (particularly Northern) cities and regions wasn't radical enough and not thought out enough. The BBC's Arif Ansari suggests that Mandelson's 'admitted' that Labour didn't actually have a plan, that he's peed off because they didn't take up his own 'Northern Powerhouse' plans, and so they let Osborne run away with the plans and claim them as his own success. At least, that's my reading of what's written in this article. And I hope that the University of Manchester choose either Sir Mark Elder (conductor, composer, trumpeter) or Lemn Sissay (writer) as their next Chancellor over Mandy, who'd really rather like the job. That might just be my personal prejudice, though:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-33024679
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

seeingclearly wrote:Learning disability unit temporarily closed after 'serious incidents'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-33021287" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's worrying. Really difficult for people to be moved from a place they must regard pretty much as 'home' but safety has to come first. Whatever these 'incidents' were, they must be pretty bloody serious to prompt even a temporary closure of the place.

Thanks for the links you posted earlier, @seeingclearly and @RogerOThornhill. All very well written and thought-provoking, so have bookmarked those blogs. I'm pretty sure I saw Harold Jarche on a TED talk, or something similar – he was very good.

@HobieJoe: Hope you got some good sleep. I fear that Cameron could well march us out of the EU, rather than sleepwalking us out, if he can't manage to claim some great successes in 'concessions' from the EU. There are a lot of positive measures coming out of the EU that he could claim as 'success', though. It's worth reading the pieces that @AngryAsWell is collating on the TTIP discussions and negotiations, on here in the Features & Analysis section.

@Tizme1: Thanks for sticking with us :D I think we do need a broad range of voices – and I want to see a broad collective effort from the left pushing against the Tory Government's plans and attitudes over the next five years. And probably beyond, too, because even if we can get a left-wing (probably Labour-led) government elected in 2020, there will be a heck of a lot of work to do in turning the juggernaut of this 'ship of State' onto a new heading; and there'll be a lot of healing needed doing, too, by then.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

AngryAsWell wrote:Your Facebook, Twitter and blog are about to be monitored for references to the Government

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/06/05/your-face ... z3cJvNjvCJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm quite ambivalent on this, AAW, they are public spaces after all. Anyone who comments online needs to be aware of such and be mindful of what they say, no more than they would in any other public space. Snooping on private communications however is another matter altogether.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Tizme1 wrote:Hi all,

Just a quickie - thanks to those of you who responded last night. In particular @frightfuloik - I agree there are members who will defend the right of me and others to contribute. Sadly you aren't in the majority. Or maybe the poisonous comments of yahyah are more noticeable. I feel free to name her now given she is ignoring my 'sighing and poking'. My apologies to you and everyone for my negativity but, I'm frankly fed up of the fact that such comments seem to be condoned and I, Tem, and anyone else who might argue the 'Green' position are expected to 'suck it up'.

In terms of political beliefs, I possibly have more in common with yahyah than for instance Spinning Hugo, but he is nowhere near as rude imo. I guess this is why Greens and Labour struggle to work together - too many Labour people who think they are somehow superior.*

Sorry also this is posted late in the evening. There have of course been digs about that too - but that is the way my life is at the moment. Making sarcastic digs about it is no different to Tory rhetoric about people going to work in the morning and seeing their neighbours curtains drawn, without considering the many and varied reasons the curtains may be drawn.

Well, not such a quick comment after all but if you look beyond the personal, you all might realise that this is a problem if you want to be more than an echo chamber. :(

edited to add *and sometimes Greens who try to take the moral high ground because they haven't been in the positions of power where compromise can sometimes be necessary.

Well, Tizme, I hope you're happy now. Glad you've got all that off your chest, and not for the first time.

One of the reasons why I have decided to post less here is because I am sick of the arguments caused by what I view as concern trolling. I do not see much of anyone arguing "the Green position" - but I do see nitpicking dressed up as faux discussion.

As you have chosen to highlight comments made by yahyah on this latest occasion for your sniping, and as you are apparently all about everyone having the right to express an opinion, perhaps you will accept mine - she is right and so was TGS not so long ago.

After the disaster of the election, for those of us who supported Labour, there was talk here about possibly setting up a blog and making FTN a force for good. We talked about a possible coalition of the left, doing more in our local communities, all sorts.
I'm working on a local health project, which is using up a lot of my time. TGS has started a blog of his own. Good man, I say.

I would champion a broad coalition of the left - but your post here, and others from both you and Temulkar previously, suggest to me that the flexibility required in such a coalition would be impossible - any criticism, real or imagined, is rarely countered by argument; what happens, invariably, is an almost immediate reaction which is always personal and adds nothing to the debate.

You suggest people here should "look beyond the personal" if FTN is not to become an echo chamber. Pot and kettle spring to mind.
Those of a Green persuasion, who I have considered joining, will never get my support while this preciousness continues.

This place has never been an echo chamber - what is has been, for me, is a source of information, links to other sources, and some very knowledgeable stuff from a group of people whose politics are left-leaning and who are experts in their respective fields.

As I said a little while ago, I won't be posting here as often - I daresay I'll be writing my "essays" as pk1 calls them (rightly!) when the hideous truth on the social security cuts is eventually revealed; and part of the reason for that is the fact that I am busy with other stuff and as I have chronic illness I have to marshal what energy I have with care.
Part of the reason is also posts like yours, Tizme - and Temulkar's - in which there is criticism dressed up as concern, personal outrage dressed up as legitimate defence when no offence is meant, and a sense of humour failure that takes no account of the ribbing we all take from each other all the time but from which you seem to think you should be insulated.

As you say, "suck it up".
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I like Tizme, but don't agree with her claim that only a "minority" here want her participating at FtN. In my experience, that is simply not true.

But I was glad she added that rider at the end of her post. Because what Greens have to accept that the deeply sectarian nature of the truly awful Bennett's campaign - relentlessly attacking Labour, including repeated deployment of the Goebellsian "£30 bn of cuts" BIG LIE, and saying almost NOTHING about the Tories (who were, you know, actually in government doing stuff and everything) - deeply hacked off many who are genuinely sympathetic to them and would like to see them do well.

I have heard that Caroline Lucas, no less, is to some degree sympathetic to this analysis and thinks the Green messaging pre-GE was notably unbalanced.

I am very interested in joint centre-left campaigning in at least some issues (though not electoral pacts, a blind alley IMO) but tribalism exists on *both* sides.

That is all :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/1 ... n_on_barn/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... SIXTEEN fox cubs have been rescued after police swooped on a North Yorkshire barn.
The animals, all aged between six to eight weeks, were found during a search of an outbuilding on the Birdsall Estates, near Malton.

Acting on intelligence received, officers searched the barn last Sunday and the cubs were then taken to an animal sanctuary outside the county.

They were being fed and had access to water, but police now need further information as to how they got in the barn, why they were there, and who put them there.

Local wildlife crime officer PC Jez Walmsley said: “These cubs had been taken out of the wild, and will have come from at least four different litters...

yvonne-gargett says...
Many years ago I used to ride and the stable owners and some of the liveries hunted. In late summer the masters would go cub-hunting, which involved chasing young foxes to disperse them around the countryside, so as to improve the 'sport' later on. I should imagine that's what was going on at Malton, making sure there were cubs to chase, I've no idea whether my local hunt used to do that.
On second thoughts, perhaps cub-hunting isn't possible since the ban, so this is an alternative - collect the cubs from the dens and disperse them by vehicle.

:sick:
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

gilsey wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

yvonne-gargett says...
Many years ago I used to ride and the stable owners and some of the liveries hunted. In late summer the masters would go cub-hunting, which involved chasing young foxes to disperse them around the countryside, so as to improve the 'sport' later on. I should imagine that's what was going on at Malton, making sure there were cubs to chase, I've no idea whether my local hunt used to do that.
On second thoughts, perhaps cub-hunting isn't possible since the ban, so this is an alternative - collect the cubs from the dens and disperse them by vehicle.

:sick:
'Cubbing' is a regular practice - and didn't stop with the advent of the hunting ban where some hunts are determined to carry on with the nastiest slaughters come what may. It is well known that certain hunts trap and keep both cubs and full grown foxes to then release and chase to make sure the hunt gets their full thrills of the slaughter. Plenty of video around of certain hunts feeding foxes the wild too - to make sure they have enough foxes in a certain place to ensure their lust to kill can be satisfied. Absolutely nails the lie that such barbaric practice is essential to control the numbers of foxes.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ten ways in which life could change if the UK left the EU

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... uld-change" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

@AngryAsWell

Thanks for the link.

I also saw this, earlier -
Poland warns David Cameron not to fool voters over EU referendum
Rafał Trzaskowski, Polish minister in charge of EU policy, rejects migrant benefits cut and says travel and jobs will be hit if UK quits (Observer)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... referendum

David Cameron is bound to cock all this up.

(Apologies for my unceremonious exit (from FTN - not the EU) last night.)

Edited -

Bold! As Kenneth Williams might have said.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Look at this Tory government. Look at them! The wretched coward of a Prime Minster who did nothing but run away from accountability, ventured no further than somewhere in Oxfordshire to rally his handful of purchased fans. Every single minister from his outrageous government managing to keep their seat a disaster. Remember them, their unprofessional, half-assed laughter while social security provision systematically damages the people.
The worst government in a thousand years in the UK over five years ago & enough people voted it back into Westminster a month ago.

What do we expect to happen now?

Open the news to read negative stories about Labour, for chrissake.
Let's talk about reality.
Labour - the finest crew a nation could want. Responsible, honest, full of integrity.
What did it matter?
Think of the worthless campaign Tory government provided us all to see.
And people write what about Labour, now?
It's not a Labour government who's fouled up the lives of people!

The press aren't interested in playing fair now so they may as well disappear with their twisted stories.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Apologies for my abrupt post without first offering,
Good-afternoon.
gilsey
Prime Minister

Post by gilsey »

citizenJA wrote:Look at this Tory government. Look at them! The wretched coward of a Prime Minster who did nothing but run away from accountability, ventured no further than somewhere in Oxfordshire to rally his handful of purchased fans. Every single minister from his outrageous government managing to keep their seat a disaster. Remember them, their unprofessional, half-assed laughter while social security provision systematically damages the people.
The worst government in a thousand years in the UK over five years ago & enough people voted it back into Westminster a month ago.

Labour - the finest crew a nation could want. Responsible, honest, full of integrity.
What did it matter?

The press aren't interested in playing fair now so they may as well disappear with their twisted stories.
Couldn't agree more, citizen. The media still want to spend their time knocking Labour instead of reporting on the government's actions.
One world, like it or not - John Martyn
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

"Boris Johnson has controversially guaranteed that the estimated £3m annual running costs of a garden bridge over the Thames would be met by public money if private funds were insufficient."

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... aintenance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Good morfternoon.

@AngryAsWell

Thanks for the link.

I also saw this, earlier -
Poland warns David Cameron not to fool voters over EU referendum
Rafał Trzaskowski, Polish minister in charge of EU policy, rejects migrant benefits cut and says travel and jobs will be hit if UK quits (Observer)
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... referendum

David Cameron is bound to cock all this up.

(Apologies for my unceremonious exit (from FTN - not the EU) last night.)
Edited -

Bold! As Kenneth Williams might have said.
I'm rather off reading above the line contributions these days but find the commentary below the line to be more worthwhile.
Someone made me laugh with their suggestion about what we must sell to the EU - they cannot do without - 'gormless gits'. It made me laugh & I'm grateful.

I've been away from the computer, ill & sad - the days have been stunning - I've watched them through the window.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

With regard to yesterday's Labour Party hustings -

No-one presents as a safe pair of hands; and a safe pair of hands is the the very least I expect. Certainly, no-one inspires.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:Look at this Tory government. Look at them! The wretched coward of a Prime Minster who did nothing but run away from accountability, ventured no further than somewhere in Oxfordshire to rally his handful of purchased fans. Every single minister from his outrageous government managing to keep their seat a disaster. Remember them, their unprofessional, half-assed laughter while social security provision systematically damages the people.

What did it matter?

Spot on CJA, and I don't think it will stop till the Leader election is over - another period of time for the Tory's to seal a march :(
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

CJA said : I've been away from the computer, ill & sad - the days have been stunning - I've watched them through the window.
I'm sorry to hear that CJA and hope you feel better soon - have a hug :hug:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:With regard to yesterday's Labour Party hustings -

No-one presents as a safe pair of hands; and a safe pair of hands is the the very least I expect. Certainly, no-one inspires.
I agree.
I don't know what to do.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

It is reported that Kendall said she favoured Labour taking part in another "Better Together" type campaign to stay in the EU.

If that is really the case, not only should she never be elected Labour leader in a million years - but I would hesitate to leave her near sharp objects unattended :twisted:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:
CJA said : I've been away from the computer, ill & sad - the days have been stunning - I've watched them through the window.
I'm sorry to hear that CJA and hope you feel better soon - have a hug :hug:
Many thanks to you, my dear friends. I hope I find everyone in good health.
xx
cJA
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dr Éoin Clarke 16 hrs

Liz Kendall today said she would be happy to share a platform with the Tories in the EU Referendum. I humbly suggest that this is a mistake.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:

I agree.
I don't know what to do.
Nor me C/J And hope you soon feel better.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Harry Leslie Smith ‏@Harryslaststand 15 hrs

Portrait of Prince George has been issued, perhaps it can be tacked up in every foodbank to give poor kids something to aspire to
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏
Sturgeon has already made it clear they will not share a platform with Tories on EU Referendum. Tories are despised in Scot

@cllrtrisosborne
Arthur Scargill would not have done this or Bob Crow? Confused ...

Dr Éoin Clarke ‏
@cllrtrisosborne You miss the point. Sharing a platform with the Tories ensures we never ever win back another Scottish seat
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:Dr Éoin Clarke 16 hrs

Liz Kendall today said she would be happy to share a platform with the Tories in the EU Referendum. I humbly suggest that this is a mistake.
If it doesn't go Cameron's way, it'll give him someone to blame.

"Well, Prime Minister, you've managed to cock that up"
"I don't accept that...I put the blame fully on Labour"
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Miranda Green ‏@greenmiranda 4h4 hours ago
Yet to hear Liz Kendall say anything at all that I disagree with. She is fantastic. Come on Labour, choose her a winner! #marrshow
Not a particularly helpful endorsement in my book.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:

I agree.
I don't know what to do.
Coming to the conclusion that all that matters now is that a certain candidate doesn't win.

Burnham and Cooper both have enough about them that they could be "worked on" if they get the gig. That's not exciting but is maybe as good as we can hope for right now :?

(and realistically it *is* between those two - Corbyn has *no* chance even if he gets on the ballot, though it would nice to see him come 3rd ahead of you know who)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

G7 summit: Greek bailout, Ukraine and climate top agenda for Bavaria meeting
Leaders to gather in Schloss Elmau with state of Greek bailout set to dominate and Angela Merkel calling for countries to commit to Green Climate Fund

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/j ... ia-meeting" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
20,000+ Police March In Force Against G7 Protests in Germany
Though more than 20,000 police officers were deployed to keep voice of the people away from powerful leaders, the critiques offered by demonstrators appear highlighted by the enormous efforts made to silence them

Police officers briefly stop a protest in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, southern Germany, on Saturday, June 6, 2015.

According to reports and despite the strong turnout of demonstrators, police outnumbered civilians by nearly 2 to 1.
Though outnumbered by police by approximately two-to-one, thousands of people took to the streets of the Alpine resort town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen in Germany on Saturday to express their opposition to the hegemonic and neoliberal policies of the G7 nations as they gathered in a nearby luxury hotel ahead their annual summit which begins Sunday.

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2015/0 ... ts-germany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(my bold)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Here's an off topic interlude. Mr Riots is pressure washing my car because it's got to go in for its MOT tomorrow. This is its one off annual clean - absolutely no point at other times because of our track. I am going to reciprocate his kindness by making him a rhubarb crumble. Meanwhile the animals know how to appreciate their surroundings fully. Happiness all round.
Bella In Bluebells.jpg
Bella In Bluebells.jpg (62.51 KiB) Viewed 6233 times
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:

It is reported that Kendall said she favoured Labour taking part in another "Better Together" type campaign to stay in the EU.

If that is really the case, not only should she never be elected Labour leader in a million years - but I would hesitate to leave her near sharp objects unattended :twisted:
I would question whether she was asleep during and after the independence referendum. I think Burnham's got it right on this; no real enthusiasm for the EU referendum, but if it is going ahead, Labour have to take part, just as an independent campaign.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I love a rhubarb crumble.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

citizenJA wrote:I love a rhubarb crumble.
With a bit of ice-cream on the side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Here's an off topic interlude. Mr Riots is pressure washing my car because it's got to go in for its MOT tomorrow. This is its one off annual clean - absolutely no point at other times because of our track. I am going to reciprocate his kindness by making him a rhubarb crumble. Meanwhile the animals know how to appreciate their surroundings fully. Happiness all round.
Bella In Bluebells.jpg
Home grown I presume...I miss my allotment.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

If there was a way of beaming one up to you citizen - I'd do it. It's one of Mr Riots favourite essential yummy puds.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

refitman wrote:

Or custard. I particularly like custard with it...

Which reminds me. I bought a jar of Rhubarb & Custard jam from Aldi the other day.

Horrible!!!!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

refitman wrote:
He goes for greek yogurt - rather a lot of it. That's when he's managed to buy the full fat / creamy version anyway.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
refitman wrote:

Or custard. I particularly like custard with it...

Which reminds me. I bought a jar of Rhubarb & Custard jam from Aldi the other day.

Horrible!!!!
What on earth possessed you to do that Ohso?! It sounds horrid right from the off - let alone actually tasting it.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

So do I. But apple and raspberry is my favourite. Custard; or ice cream; or double cream? It depends on my mood and, to a certain extent, the weather.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just so you don't think I'm a namby pamby who lets Mr Riots do all the car messy things. I've already done two hours of picking out all the moss (yes, moss) and various other fungal growths and plant life from around all the windows, wipers, mirrors etc and washing it down as much as I could. I've not quite got to the state of a car we saw in the car park when I first moved here - that actually had a flowering plant emerging from it.