Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st June 2015

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I've obviously done too much gardening today and addled my brain ... I no longer understand anyone's posts.
Working on the wild side.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

One for CJA..

All choked up: did Britain's dirty air make me dangerously ill?
This year, environment correspondent John Vidal had heart bypass surgery – a wake-up call that prompted him to investigate the state of the air we breathe. With 29,000 UK deaths a year attributed to pollution, is it time we cleaned up our act?

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/ ... ity-health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.

I repeat:
Goodnight, everyone.

(I thought I'd do it voluntarily.)
Goodnight, PorFavor
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:1.The last Labour Government let welfare spiral out of control.
2.It has taken many years for welfare to get out of control

There is no inconsistency in these statements.

1.The vulnerable will be protected.
2.If they are not protected they are not vulnerable.
I'm confused, HindleA, as well as terrified by these people.
Is your post satirical, am I not understanding your meaning? Apologies - please write a bit more if you've time.
“It took many years for welfare spending to spiral so far out of control, and it’s a project of a decade or more to return the system to sanity. Reforming the damaging culture of welfare dependency and ensuring that work pays has been central to our mission to make Britain fit for the future.”

This government was elected with a mandate to implement further savings from the £220bn welfare budget...For a start, we will reduce the benefit cap, and have made clear that we believe we need to make significant savings from other working-age benefits. We will set out in detail all the steps we will take to bring about savings totalling £12bn a year in next month’s budget and at the spending review in the autumn."

- An extract from Chancellor Jeff in a joint article with Iain Duncan Smith in the Times
21 June 2015

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... y-protests" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:One for CJA..

All choked up: did Britain's dirty air make me dangerously ill?
This year, environment correspondent John Vidal had heart bypass surgery – a wake-up call that prompted him to investigate the state of the air we breathe. With 29,000 UK deaths a year attributed to pollution, is it time we cleaned up our act?

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/ ... ity-health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh, gracious.
Powerful & scary.
Thanks for posting the link.
I'd missed it.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Jeez...that Burnham article is like a magnet for very soddin' troll for miles around - they're all there!
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Soft rain in the green green garden now. Makes me think of that Joni Mitchell song / album 'hissing of summer lawns'.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:Soft rain in the green green garden now. Makes me think of that Joni Mitchell song / album 'hissing of summer lawns'.
Lovely album - 1975 was such a great year...Dylan's Blood On the Tracks, first Patti Smith, first Nils Lofgren, John Fogerty and Joni - five of may all-time favourites.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Yannis Koutsomitis ‏@YanniKouts · 25m25 minutes ago
French officials point to an imminent agreement following Tsipras-Merkel-Hollande call http://bit.ly/1fraaWz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; /via @handelsblatt #Greece

...fingers crossed.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@CJA

Yes attempt at satire.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Soft rain in the green green garden now. Makes me think of that Joni Mitchell song / album 'hissing of summer lawns'.
Lovely album - 1975 was such a great year...Dylan's Blood On the Tracks, first Patti Smith, first Nils Lofgren, John Fogerty and Joni - five of may all-time favourites.
Not forgetting Physical Graffiti and Wish You Were Here for those who liked slightly harder stuff.

I like punk, but it wasn't all a wasteland before it arrived by any means :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Not forgetting Physical Graffiti and Wish You Were Here for those who liked slightly harder stuff.

I like punk, but it wasn't all a wasteland before it arrived by any means :)
Also Brian Eno's Another Green World, Guy Clark Old No 1. Smokey Robinson A Quiet Storm...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

HQ by Roy Harper, as well 8-)

Talking of punk, was messing around on YouTube the other day (as you do) and stumbled upon a C4 news interview last year (that I had somehow missed at the time) with Viv Albertine - one of my very first crushes. She's remarkably posh tbh, but still very politically sound - and looks pretty great for 60 :)

Her autobiography is well worth reading, apparently......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:HQ by Roy Harper, as well 8-)

Talking of punk, was messing around on YouTube the other day (as you do) and stumbled upon a C4 news interview last year (that I had somehow missed at the time) with Viv Albertine - one of my very first crushes. She's remarkably posh tbh, but still very politically sound - and looks pretty great for 60 :)

Her autobiography is well worth reading, apparently......
She's just released her first solo album

http://vivalbertine.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Surprised? No, not really...

Gove plans freedom of information crackdown

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3e10b852-15d2 ... z3djOnJxVY
Ministers are planning a crackdown on Britain’s freedom of information laws in a move critics say undermines David Cameron’s claim to create a “new era of transparency in government”.

Michael Gove, the justice secretary, is considering making it more difficult to procure information from government bodies, including allowing officials to count “thinking time” when calculating how much it costs to retrieve information.

One plan is to make it easier for ministers to veto publication of certain documents, as they tried unsuccessfully to do with the recent release of letters written by Prince Charles to Labour ministers during the past decade.

Another is to change the way the cost of finding information is calculated so that officials can more readily turn down requests.
As the source for this said:

Laura McInerney ‏@miss_mcinerney 52m52 minutes ago
If Gove's going to start complaining about #foi cost he better know the ratio of how much each department spends on marketing vs #foi

Laura McInerney ‏@miss_mcinerney 51m51 minutes ago
Because if you're spending millions on what YOU want to tell ME it's hard to argue against cash for what the public actually *want* to know.

Spot on.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I envy you, though the air quality in Stoke currently good, there's no rain & people are driving too fast.
& those goddam power tools...
apologies
it's a Tory government & nothing is right
ironically
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

HindleA wrote:@CJA

Yes attempt at satire.
I've written the following too many times already but I'm ageing into querulous & repetitive:

Tory government have destroyed satire by becoming satire.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Surprised? No, not really...
Gove plans freedom of information crackdown

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3e10b852-15d2 ... z3djOnJxVY
Ministers are planning a crackdown on Britain’s freedom of information laws in a move critics say undermines David Cameron’s claim to create a “new era of transparency in government”.

Michael Gove, the justice secretary, is considering making it more difficult to procure information from government bodies, including allowing officials to count “thinking time” when calculating how much it costs to retrieve information.

One plan is to make it easier for ministers to veto publication of certain documents, as they tried unsuccessfully to do with the recent release of letters written by Prince Charles to Labour ministers during the past decade.

Another is to change the way the cost of finding information is calculated so that officials can more readily turn down requests.
As the source for this said:
Laura McInerney ‏@miss_mcinerney 52m52 minutes ago
If Gove's going to start complaining about #foi cost he better know the ratio of how much each department spends on marketing vs #foi

Laura McInerney ‏@miss_mcinerney 51m51 minutes ago
Because if you're spending millions on what YOU want to tell ME it's hard to argue against cash for what the public actually *want* to know.

Spot on.
Yes, Laura McInerney is correct & sums it up beautifully.
Tories don't do reasonable.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Gove demands civil servants spell out contractions?
Oh, god what a tedious little man.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

citizenJA wrote:Gove demands civil servants spell out contractions?
Oh, god what a tedious little man.
Oh, I saw that...how to win friends and influence people my M.Gove.

Does he really think you can't begin a sentence with 'However'?

And I bet he doesn't think you should start a sentence with And...er...oh.

Tedious little man is correct.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Remember - only just yesterday I fantasised about firing Gove off into outer space - to catch a ride on a comet heading into the sun. He really really is the most odious conniving .............
Jim Pickard retweeted
David Pegg ‏@davidtpegg 1h1 hour ago
2011: Gove told he can't use private email to dodge FOI.

2015: Gove as Justice Minister decides to hamstring FOI.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3e10b852-15d2 ... z3djEDqoQp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Roger I've just PM you
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

2015 really was a dirty dirty election ...
Chris Williamson ‏@ChriswMP 4m4 minutes ago Derby, England
Murdoch's Times 'newspaper' exposed for pre-election lies. Penalty? They've got to print a post-election correction http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... map=%5B%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Press regulator orders front page correction from The Times for 'Labour tax bombshell' splash
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... map=%5B%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

AngryAsWell wrote:Roger I've just PM you
And replied.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:Roger I've just PM you
And replied.
Likewise
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Beth Rigby ‏@BethRigby 4m4 minutes ago
Cameron urged to reveal EU renegotiation plan > Eurosceptics demand the details by tory conference http://on.ft.com/1GB0VvI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plan? What plan? He's flying by the seat of his pants ... no way he's going to give anyone actual details of what he wants and how he intends to get it. Only today a commentator on Radio 4 said as much ... that he won't give information on what he actually wants from the negotiations as he will look stupid when he doesn't get all or any of it ...

That won't stop him proclaiming his mission a mighty success though - regardless of what he does or doesn't achieve.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:2015 really was a dirty dirty election ...
Murdoch's Times 'newspaper' exposed for pre-election lies. Penalty? They've got to print a post-election correction http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... map=%5B%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Press regulator orders front page correction from The Times for 'Labour tax bombshell' splash
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... map=%5B%5D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All I could write were rude words in response to this & I think I've used my rude word quota up today.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Was this the story where the Times quoted "internal Treasury figures show..." where it was clear that Osborne had simply asked his officials to come up with something and forget all that 'being in purdah' nonsense?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:

Was this the story where the Times quoted "internal Treasury figures show..." where it was clear that Osborne had simply asked his officials to come up with something and forget all that 'being in purdah' nonsense?
Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 3m3 minutes ago
The Ipso ruling on The Times error and what to do about it. A test case. https://www.ipso.co.uk/IPSO/rulings/IPS ... tml?id=165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
and from that ruling (which is very straightforward)
7. The complainant was satisfied with the text of the correction, but not with its prominence. He said that the appropriate placement was the same as the original, inaccurate article. The newspaper should publish the headline “Correction: Labour’s £1,000 tax on families” on its front page in the same font size as the original headline, with the text of the correction below.
The complainant is Jonathan Portes.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Hey, everyone? Did this insidious bit of Gove's grammar lesson just pass me by? I've re-read the article & noted the bold bit.
"However, all this is to miss the point, or to make light of it for the sake of comedy. There are two clues as to what is really going on. The one in plain sight is his job: however sidelined he may be from the actual levers of power, or from David Cameron’s cosy clique, Gove is, in his own eyes at least, and relative to us, an Important Person. The clue that is tucked away in his instructions is his insistence that when his civil servants refer to rising court fees, a fact due entirely to his party’s policies, they must mention “the need to tackle the economic situation that the government has inherited”.'

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... s#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So much wrong factually & laughably with that instruction.
That'd be the Tory-led government Gove was in?
He didn't intend to convey that though, did he.
Lunatic Tory government.
They'd be entertaining without their power to hurt people.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
The Ipso ruling on The Times error and what to do about it. A test case. https://www.ipso.co.uk/IPSO/rulings/IPS ... tml?id=165" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
7. The complainant was satisfied with the text of the correction, but not with its prominence. He said that the appropriate placement was the same as the original, inaccurate article. The newspaper should publish the headline “Correction: Labour’s £1,000 tax on families” on its front page in the same font size as the original headline, with the text of the correction below.
(my bold)

Government misconduct in public office rulings will require every member found guilty to serve an indefinite sentence living in a series of cold, mouldy, insecurely tenured dwellings without enough to eat, no money, no access to assistance & dogged by a team of pendants sending threats by post.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:

Except it's not quite like-for-like. From the article:
On 24 April, two weeks before the general election, the paper’s print edition ran the front page headline ‘Labour’s £1,000 tax on families’.
And
The Times has now published the correction on the front page of its website, where it is set to remain for 48 hours.
So the definintion of "front page" seems to be a somewhat elastic one. Quelle effing surprise.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Hobiejoe wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:
Except it's not quite like-for-like. From the article:
On 24 April, two weeks before the general election, the paper’s print edition ran the front page headline ‘Labour’s £1,000 tax on families’.
And
The Times has now published the correction on the front page of its website, where it is set to remain for 48 hours.
So the definintion of "front page" seems to be a somewhat elastic one. Quelle effing surprise.
Precisely. So, when exactly will they be putting it on the front page of the newspaper? The one that sits on news-stands to be seen by many hundreds of thousands as they pass by; that is shown and talked about on television and radio channels' 'newspaper headlines' programmes late at night and during the 'breakfast' hours to be seen and heard by millions of people; and which drops onto many thousands of people's doormats in the mornings...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...