Wenesday 24th June 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Wenesday 24th June 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Re: Wenesday 24th June 2015

Post by Swarthlander »

Good morning. :D
Andy Burnham is the Labour leadership contender most likely to improve the party’s chances at the next general election, according to a survey of 2,000 people for The Independent by ORB.
And we know how reliable polls are. :roll:
Liz Kendall, the shadow Care Minister who is seen as the Blairite candidate, came second...
Really? :(
Ms Kendall is regarded by young voters as the contender most likely to boost Labour’s appeal; 43 per cent of 18-24 year-olds describe her in this way.
This just proves that I'm getting old.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 40208.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've already had an email fom the Burnham camp bigging-up this survey. They really should know better. :roll:
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning all.

Starting the day with an emergency visit to the vets. Hope it's not going to be another one of 'those' days. I had one of them last week. That was more than enough.
Working on the wild side.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all

Skilled workers 'may vanish' if further education budget cuts continue

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... s-continue
Britain’s supply of skilled workers may “vanish into history” if looming budget cuts in further education and the unchecked expansion of universities are allowed to continue, according to the architect of the government’s vocational education plans. Professor Alison Wolf, a respected labour market expert and author of the Wolf review of vocational education, said the further education sector that provides the bulk of the UK’s post-secondary training faces possible collapse and the loss of a valuable source of technicians and mechanics.

“I think we should be very alarmed about this – it’s a serious potential crisis,” said Wolf, who publishes a report backed by the Gatsby Foundation arguing that “unstable, inefficient, untenable and unjust” funding is destroying education provision for school-leavers outside of universities. “It damages and affects the nature of the industrial structure of this country. If you create a system in which vocational training can’t be funded, that is going to have a knock-on effect on which parts of the economy flourish and which don’t.”
This has been rumbling away in the background for a while now - schools with sixth forms are protected while sixth form colleges and the like get massive cuts.

Things must be bad if Alison Wolf (a Gove favourite) starts to complain...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Alan Milburn backs Liz Kendall.
Shocked and surprised, I am, shocked and surprised. :shock: :o

Pope... bears...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Right. Having a bit of reset for today. Dog left at vets to be sedated and X rayed for possible tear of his cruciate ligament and / or hip dislocation. Will be ringing to find out results and collecting or approving surgery this afternoon. Need to get my head in gear - ring clients to rearrange - and get out there to mow a lawn before the black clouds become rain.

Alan Milburn eh. Grrrrr.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Right. Having a bit of reset for today. Dog left at vets to be sedated and X rayed for possible tear of his cruciate ligament and / or hip dislocation...
My sympathies Reb. :( I've had two dogs with torn cruciates. One about 20 years ago who had her cruciates relaced with wire (both knees) and one who, 8 years ago, had TPLO on his right knee, he is still here.

:D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Interesting - I noticed this when I was watching the debate the other night. (via a Laura McInerney tweet)

Education and The English question

https://johnohowson.wordpress.com/2015/ ... -question/
What was more interesting, in a debate entirely about schools in England, were the contributions from two SNP MPs and the Labour Shadow Minister for School who sits for a constituency in Wales. Since education is a devolved activity one might have expected contributions only from MPs representing constituencies in England.

One SNP MP talked mainly about how wonderful her constituency was and didn’t really seem to mention education very much at all: something of a waste of parliamentary time when backbench members were being restricted to speeches of only six minutes duration. This was later extended to ten minutes, presumably because some potential speakers waived their previously expressed intention to speak.
Whatever happened to that English votes thing - presumably as the Tories won, they're not bothered now.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
CentreSocialJustice @csjthinktank

Alan Milburn: It was not voters who carry the blame- we have no one else to blame but ourselves #laboursfuture
8:42 AM - 24 Jun 2015

1 1 Retweet (Politics Blog, Guardian)
and fresh from his triumph in Scotland -
Jim Murphy, another leading Labour Blairite, said exactly the same last week. (Politics Blog, Guardian)
Come back, Ed Miliband. There's nothing to forgive!
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting - I noticed this when I was watching the debate the other night. (via a Laura McInerney tweet)

What was more interesting, in a debate entirely about schools in England, were the contributions from two SNP MPs and the Labour Shadow Minister for School who sits for a constituency in Wales. Since education is a devolved activity one might have expected contributions only from MPs representing constituencies in England.

One SNP MP talked mainly about how wonderful her constituency was and didn’t really seem to mention education very much at all: something of a waste of parliamentary time when backbench members were being restricted to speeches of only six minutes duration. This was later extended to ten minutes, presumably because some potential speakers waived their previously expressed intention to speak.
Whatever happened to that English votes thing - presumably as the Tories won, they're not bothered now.
They'll bundle it up with the devomore legislation.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Swarthlander wrote:Good morning. :D
Andy Burnham is the Labour leadership contender most likely to improve the party’s chances at the next general election, according to a survey of 2,000 people for The Independent by ORB.
Liz Kendall, the shadow Care Minister who is seen as the Blairite candidate, came second...
Ms Kendall is regarded by young voters as the contender most likely to boost Labour’s appeal; 43 per cent of 18-24 year-olds describe her in this way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 40208.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've already had an email fom the Burnham camp bigging-up this survey. They really should know better. :roll:
Given the stick he has had so far in this campaign, I can imagine the Burnham camp being quite pleased with these findings tbf.

Kendall's results are mediocre given the media hype she has had since the GE - the Times has been renamed the Daily Liz by one wit :)

But it is Cooper who should be really disappointed - must admit I was slightly surprised as well........
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tonibel
Backbencher

Post by Tonibel »

That settles it. If Milburn is voting for LK then I'm certainly not.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Interesting - I noticed this when I was watching the debate the other night. (via a Laura McInerney tweet)

Why does that need legislating for?
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:

Why does that need legislating for?
because devomore involves further. You cannot, for example, give the Scottish parliament further tax raising powers or say 'the Parliament is permanent' (whatever that means) without legislation
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:

because devomore involves further. You cannot, for example, give the Scottish parliament further tax raising powers or say 'the Parliament is permanent' (whatever that means) without legislation
OK, I was thinking of something else.

I doubt they'll be in the same Act as the EVEL issue applies to other regions too.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

2m ago11:51

Here is some comment from journalists on Alan Miliburn’s speech this morning.(Politics Blog, Guardian)
And that's not the first time!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Martin Vickers, a Conservative, asks about job losses in his Cleethorpes constituency. Will the area get extra help?

Cameron says he will have a meeting about the job losses at Young’s Seafood. But the broader picture is more positive. (Politics Blog, Guardian)
The Fish Pointer swings into action.

Edited

full stop for comma
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Kate B @hangbitch

#disabled protestors occupy parliament central lobby in protest at care cuts #saveilf pic.twitter.com/fxuJMp4aZY

Follow
Yvonne Rose Bailey @yvonneRbailey

RT"@hangbitch: #disabled protestors occupy parliament central lobby in protest at care cuts #saveilf pic.twitter.com/UJ7Pn4upks”
12:28 PM - 24 Jun 2015 (Politics Blog, Guardian)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Disability cuts protest at Prime Minister's Questions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33252828
BBC waking up to its responsibilities. Better late than never I suppose.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tonibel wrote:That settles it. If Milburn is voting for LK then I'm certainly not.

Apparently Milburn said he didn't know whether his endorsement of her would be a blessing or a curse ... seems he is at least aware of his reputation.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 3m3 minutes ago
Wheelchair protesters got to the door of the Commons chamber in a demo to save the ILF. Quite a kerfuffle going on
Bloody good on em.

We need as many ways of bringing the disgraceful treatment of disabled people by the government into public awareness as possible. Cameron and co have had a really easy ride so far - mainly down to the supine press and Lib Dems. Hope they will be far more exposed for what they are in this parliament.

I will be returning to the video of the Krugman, Wolf, Hendry panel on the UK economy later today - which Spinning Hugo linked to yesterday. Well worth a watch from my viewing of it so far. And I still have the best to come with Hendry's presentation according to SH.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Another break, then......

Anything happen at PMQs today apart from the usual Cameron bluster?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Another break, then......

Anything happen at PMQs today apart from the usual Cameron bluster?
Nah. Only a protest by disabled people...Someone Tweeted that reporters were told not to film or record...Don't know whether that's true or not.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@ohsocynical
"Commons officials told broadcasters not to film the protest, which continued outside in Westminster's central lobby"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-33252828" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Some good film of the protest here.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/vide ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
Swarthlander wrote:Good morning. :D

Given the stick he has had so far in this campaign, I can imagine the Burnham camp being quite pleased with these findings tbf.

Kendall's results are mediocre given the media hype she has had since the GE - the Times has been renamed the Daily Liz by one wit :)

But it is Cooper who should be really disappointed - must admit I was slightly surprised as well........
Given that most people had no clue who she was 7 weeks ago (most still don't) a good result for Kendall.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Which means the puff pieces in the media should have enhanced her standing more than they actually seem to have done (the classic "blank canvas" syndrome)

Her aggressively sectional campaign has likely put a fair few (voters as well as LP members) off.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Given that most people had no clue who she was 7 weeks ago (most still don't) a good result for Kendall.
Not really. She's out on her own in terms of her platform, just like Corbyn. Cooper and Burnham are competing much more directly.

Apart from Burnham (who ran in 2010) people who "lay down a marker" don't tend to do well in later leadership contests.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Cruddas: We’re setting up an English Labour Party
An English Labour Party is being set set up, according to former Shadow Cabinet member Jon Cruddas. The Dagenham and Rainham MP told an audience at the IPPR think tank this afternoon that the creation of a distinct Labour Party in England would be happening “imminently” – before castigating himself that it was “not something I should have said”.
The Labour Party are damned determined to make me rip up my membership card. :evil:
Whatever is being planned, it seems Cruddas will not be going through official party channels. A Labour spokesperson has confirmed that “there are currently no plans to create an English Labour Party.”
Apart from the ones we're still working on? :oops:

http://labourlist.org/2015/06/cruddas-w ... our-party/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Well, if Scottish Labour becomes "self governing" I would expect the Welsh party to follow in short order - which leaves, if only by default.......
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Cruddas is one of the guilty men. Not worth listening to.

He studied philosophy at Warwick, at a time when it was dominated by examining continental philosophy like Derrida.

It painfully shows.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, if Scottish Labour becomes "self governing" I would expect the Welsh party to follow in short order - which leaves, if only by default.......
Yes - it would have to happen. I wish that weren't the case (ie no "breakaway" components) but if one bit "secedes" I can't see much hope for convincing the others to stay with the status quo. What argument could possibly convince? Better to be seen to do it with a good grace, I feel.

Edited
to insert space - the final frontier
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 24 Jun, 2015 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

SpinningHugo wrote:Cruddas is one of the guilty men. Not worth listening to.

He studied philosophy at Warwick, at a time when it was dominated by examining continental philosophy like Derrida.

It painfully shows.
Bloody foreigners - what do they know eh?

How do you know what they were studying at Warwick - I thought you were at Oxford at the same time as Miliband?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:Some good film of the protest here.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/vide ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They've another clip here, filmed amongst the ILF protesters near to the doors to the HoC chamber:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/vide ... mons-video

Glad to see you here again, Ohso, and hope all is well for you and yours :)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick O'Flynn retweeted
Suzanne Evans ‏@SuzanneEvans1 8h8 hours ago
Astonishing dereliction of our duty to UK's unemployed: Tory MEPs vote to advertise all UK jobs across EU: http://www.eureporter.co/frontpage/2015 ... across-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Is Cameron aware of what his MEPs are supporting whilst he argues against the general trend re EU labour and rights?

Do all EU jobs get advertised in the UK - anyone?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Right. Having a bit of reset for today. Dog left at vets to be sedated and X rayed for possible tear of his cruciate ligament and / or hip dislocation. Will be ringing to find out results and collecting or approving surgery this afternoon. Need to get my head in gear - ring clients to rearrange - and get out there to mow a lawn before the black clouds become rain.

Alan Milburn eh. Grrrrr.
Fingers crossed for your dog and hoping he'll be ok :hug:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:Right. Having a bit of reset for today. Dog left at vets to be sedated and X rayed for possible tear of his cruciate ligament and / or hip dislocation. Will be ringing to find out results and collecting or approving surgery this afternoon. Need to get my head in gear - ring clients to rearrange - and get out there to mow a lawn before the black clouds become rain.

Alan Milburn eh. Grrrrr.
Doggie (Ianto) now back at home. Has had some mega pain relief so rather zonked out at present. Just as well. We could do with some knock out drops to help us come to terms with the £700 + estimate for the operation he needs to repair his cruciate ligament / stabilise his knee. That's on top of the £200 for today ...

Bring me sunshine ... (hysterical hiccup).
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, if Scottish Labour becomes "self governing" I would expect the Welsh party to follow in short order - which leaves, if only by default.......
Then Labour will end up fighting itself (no change there then).
A fragmented Labour Party has no future, self-governing factions of the same organisation will be wide open to MSM charges of incohesion. And I am sure there will be some in all of the factions to supply the ammunition.

If there is a 'Scottish Labour Party' and a 'Welsh Labour Party' I want a 'Northern Labour Party' because the buggers down south are no good for us up here.

The left can not organise together, what hope for three or more 'Labour Parties'....

...cont. p94

Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

rebeccariots2 wrote: ...help us come to terms with the £700 + estimate for the operation he needs to repair his cruciate ligament / stabilise his knee. That's on top of the £200 for today ...
Don't want to frighten you but the last one (TPLO) cost over £1800, fortunately insured.

Hoping for the best for your doggie. :zen:
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Swarthlander wrote:
A fragmented Labour Party has no future, self-governing factions of the same organisation will be wide open to MSM charges of incohesion. And I am sure there will be some in all of the factions to supply the ammunition.

If there is a 'Scottish Labour Party' and a 'Welsh Labour Party' I want a 'Northern Labour Party' because the buggers down south are no good for us up here.

The left can not organise together, what hope for three or more 'Labour Parties'....

...cont. p94

The SDLP isn't exactly thriving. Last seen trying to merge with Fianna Fail.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

More pictures and video of the violent storming of Parliament.

http://www.katebelgrave.com/2015/06/vid ... t-saveilf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Patrick O'Flynn retweeted
Suzanne Evans ‏@SuzanneEvans1 8h8 hours ago
Astonishing dereliction of our duty to UK's unemployed: Tory MEPs vote to advertise all UK jobs across EU: http://www.eureporter.co/frontpage/2015 ... across-eu/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Is Cameron aware of what his MEPs are supporting whilst he argues against the general trend re EU labour and rights?

Do all EU jobs get advertised in the UK - anyone?
There are over a million jobs on the EURES site, so far. Very few of them in the UK – although Northern ireland appears to be showing willing with 11 jobs which don't require experience, which was the parameter I set. The site is open for anyone to use, you can also look for courses at all levels of education, and there is advice on moving to each of the EU countries. This was the first I'd heard of the EURES portal but it makes sense to have it; people from the UK have the same rights to live, work, and study, in any EU country as the nationals of other EU countries have to come here. It can't be any worse than Universal Jobmatch, after all...
There's also a dedicated site for young people which has just launched – it's called "Drop'pin"...
https://ec.europa.eu/eures/public/en/homepage
https://ec.europa.eu/eures/droppin/
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:

Alan Milburn eh. Grrrrr.
Doggie (Ianto) now back at home. Has had some mega pain relief so rather zonked out at present. Just as well. We could do with some knock out drops to help us come to terms with the £700 + estimate for the operation he needs to repair his cruciate ligament / stabilise his knee. That's on top of the £200 for today ...

Bring me sunshine ... (hysterical hiccup).
Cripes! Poor Ianto – and sympathy for you and your pocket :(
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Swarthlander wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: ...help us come to terms with the £700 + estimate for the operation he needs to repair his cruciate ligament / stabilise his knee. That's on top of the £200 for today ...
Don't want to frighten you but the last one (TPLO) cost over £1800, fortunately insured.

Hoping for the best for your doggie. :zen:
Thanks for that! We think we've probably had a very comprehensive explanation of exactly what's going to happen and what it will cost from the senior vet. We are strangely reassured that she is doing this and explaining it - because whilst we don't like her approach generally this is probably the one area - serious mechanical repairs - where she'll be in her element. Here's hoping.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

... OPEN LETTER TO NIGEL GIBBENS, UK CHIEF VETERINARY OFFICER

23rd June 2015

Dear Mr Gibbens,

As the UK’s Chief Veterinary Officer, the final point in your official DEFRA review of the 2014 Pilot Badger Culls advised that culling shouldn’t continue in Gloucestershire in 2015 without improvements being made to contractor training and assessment, improved operational planning, monitoring and delivery:

“7. Given the lower level of badger population reduction in the Gloucestershire cull area over the past two years, the benefits of reducing disease in cattle over the planned four year cull may not be realised there. Culling should continue there in 2015 provided there are reasonable grounds for confidence that it can be carried out more effectively that year through measures of the kind mentioned in paragraph 2…

…2. Continued action is needed to increase levels of confidence in the effectiveness of any future culls, for example through contractor training and assessment, improved operational planning, monitoring and delivery.”

Please can you describe how the criteria you have specified have been improved, or alternatively if the cull will now be withdrawn from Gloucestershire in 2015 following your advice?

Yours sincerely,

Paul Herring
Chief Operating Officer

DEFRA Website: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dger-culls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Points 7/2: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... advice.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- See more at: http://www.networkforanimals.org/news/o ... 8chIi.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Swarthlander wrote:

...cont. p94

I hope you don't think (and you probably don't) that everyone "down South" is rich - or even comfortable. Plenty of underprivileged southerners. Very many of them living in London. The place I live in is often referred to as a northern town on the south coast. You probably don't mean to but you come across as rather dismissive of our problems. Divide and rule is alive, flourishing, and working a treat. Sorry to use you as a punch-bag!
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PorFavor wrote:
Yes - it would have to happen. I wish that weren't the case (ie no "breakaway" components) but if one bit "secedes" I can't see much hope for convincing the others to stay with the status quo. What argument could possibly convince? Better to be seen to do it with a good grace, I feel.

Edited
to insert space - the final frontier
sometimes I split infinitives just for the hell of it!
:shock:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
letsskiptotheleft
Home Secretary

Post by letsskiptotheleft »

I woke up this morning to a WTF string of expletives, in the week that 12 billion worth of cuts are being soft soaped to the social security budget, the bulk affecting the working and fucking skint it was heartening to hear, via sychophantic BBC journos that Buck House is in need of 150 million quids worth of upgrades and new decor... Maybe Osborne & Co can give them cost price..

The establishment haven't just won, they are now rubbing people's noses in it.. Still keep feeding us religion, sex and TV and it's alright, not much changes eh?!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

letsskiptotheleft wrote:I woke up this morning to a WTF string of expletives, in the week that 12 billion worth of cuts are being soft soaped to the social security budget, the bulk affecting the working and fucking skint it was heartening to hear, via sychophantic BBC journos that Buck House is in need of 150 million quids worth of upgrades and new decor... Maybe Osborne & Co can give them cost price..

The establishment haven't just won, they are now rubbing people's noses in it.. Still keep feeding us religion, sex and TV and it's alright, not much changes eh?!
Gove wanted the royal yacht back, paid for by taxpayers.