Wednesday 1st July 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Wednesday 1st July 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Lots of concern trolls on the story about Lucas' NHS Bill.

Why's Labour not supporting it?

Just a guess, but they ran the NHS till 2010. So given that Lucas seems to have in mind the structure from 1990, they probably don't agree.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 8m8 minutes ago
Ah, seems, IDS card was indeed suspended but now reinstated. Two separate IPSA issues
Smears of a clown.

(Sorry I obviously need some lunch. Sitting here waiting for the vet to ring and tell us the dog is out of his op ...).
Working on the wild side.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Just had a thunderstorm in Nottingham. Not very impressive but every little helps in this heat.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 4m4 minutes ago
Great line from @DouglasCarswell: "I had a [Parliamentary] rebellion and I put it down brutally and savagely"
http://huff.to/1NvtDAK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

frightful_oik wrote:Just had a thunderstorm in Nottingham. Not very impressive but every little helps in this heat.
We could do with one of those. Just a few blips of big raindrops and that was it. No sun here today though.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:Just had a thunderstorm in Nottingham. Not very impressive but every little helps in this heat.
We could do with one of those. Just a few blips of big raindrops and that was it. No sun here today though.
Yes - it's very close and threatening here but, so far, no action. I've got a splitting "thunder" headache.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Yes - it's very close and threatening here but, so far, no action. I've got a splitting "thunder" headache.
I share your pain PF as I've got one as well. Want to try an Ibuprofen? :D
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Burnham retweeted
Alastair McLellan ‏@HSJEditor 12m12 minutes ago
'One of the worst own [NHS] goals I have ever seen' http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/exclusive-age ... ZPkEvlViko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
That's about this ... only title available unless you are a subscriber to HSJ.
Exclusive: Agency spending clampdown team will be made up of temporary staff
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Duncan Smith says targets in Child Poverty Act will be scrapped
Iain Duncan Smith is also scrapping the targets in the Child Poverty Act.

He said:
I am announcing that we will bring forward legislation to remove the existing measures and targets in the Child Poverty Act, as well as the other duties and provisions.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... df9cb7bcd1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"The government will introduce a new and strengthened approach to tracking the life chances of Britain’s most disadvantaged children, Secretary of State for Work and Pensions, Iain Duncan Smith, announced today (1 July 2015)."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... ty-measure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Less than a quarter of an hour ago.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
You & I both.

An aside, I'm sorry, PorFavor, I didn't understand the reference to a Reading move you're making on my recommendation.
I put into a search engine & everything.
Please let me know if I'm doing something or have done something you'd like me to reconsider.
No fears, no fears here - please tell me anything - I ask your pardon if I've given offence.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Andy Burnham retweeted
'One of the worst own [NHS] goals I have ever seen' http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/exclusive-age ... ZPkEvlViko" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
heh.

If only Rusty were still around - he could give us the full...well, partial probably...article without disclosing its source or why he has access to a sub.

He's on Twitter where his only mates seems to be fellow loons. When they care about what he tweets of course, which sadly isn't that often...
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: We could do with one of those. Just a few blips of big raindrops and that was it. No sun here today though.
You & I both.

An aside, I'm sorry, PorFavor, I didn't understand the reference to a Reading move you're making on my recommendation.
Please let me know if I'm doing something or have done something you'd like me to reconsider.
No fears, no fears here - please tell me anything - I ask your pardon if I've given offence.
Just a weak joke predicated upon your tag-line "Reading is for lefties". Not understanding it is probably a good sign - you should be relieved!

Edited to add

I think it should be "leftists" rather than "lefties" - apologies for the misquote.
Last edited by PorFavor on Wed 01 Jul, 2015 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:
citizenJA wrote:
PorFavor wrote: Yes - it's very close and threatening here but, so far, no action. I've got a splitting "thunder" headache.
You & I both.

Just a weak joke predicated upon your tag-line "Reading is for lefties". Not understanding it is probably a good sign - you should be relieved!
Not a weak joke at all! I'm relieved I've caused no offence. HarryTheHorse is a regular commentator over on the G - wonderful work. The quote tickled me no end. It's not as funny here, I think. :rock:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Yes citizen - be thankful you are not yet a punning saddo like me and PF ... (sorry PF - count yourself out of that one if you like).
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Yes citizen - be thankful you are not yet a punning saddo like me and PF ... (sorry PF - count yourself out of that one if you like).
No - I'm in!
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

I imagine the children of the Birkenhead North End are celebrating Frank Field endorsing IDS.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andrew Woodcock retweeted
Press Association ‏@PA 43m43 minutes ago
#Breaking Government to scrap the child poverty measures and targets contained in the 2010 Child Poverty Act, Iain Duncan Smith tells MPs
Michael Savage ‏@michaelsavage 26m26 minutes ago
DWP press release arrives: "Government to strengthen child poverty measure".
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Child Poverty Act 2010: a short guide
Standard Note: SN/SP/5585
Last updated: 4 July 2014

http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ ... ry/SN05585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've downloaded a copy of the above & posted the Parliament website address to get the document here.
Note it's only been a year since it's been updated - does this matter? I don't know but I wanted a before & after.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
We had a short, surprise rainstorm around 11pm yesterday. Brilliant sunshine today with strong winds. Clouded over around noon, then sunshine and now more clouds gathering.

I had to get some essential supplies for Mr Ohso. It's very, very hot out there. And not much cooler indoors although we have a sturdy fan working overtime.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Wed 01 Jul, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Andy Burnham retweeted
heh.

If only Rusty were still around - he could give us the full...well, partial probably...article without disclosing its source or why he has access to a sub.

He's on Twitter where his only mates seems to be fellow loons. When they care about what he tweets of course, which sadly isn't that often...
Probably best not to invoke 'if only Rusty were still around' ... even in jest. :evil:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: These stories pop up every few years, and look suspiciously like older men wank fantasies. "Students stripping" is another.
Only this time its a bit more organised...

http://sugardaddie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.seekingarrangement.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And programme I heard was presented, researched and, I believe, produced by women. 'Sordid' best sums up the impression I was left with.
I heard the same program (and also I think newsnight? if not, C4 news perhaps carried it) I thought the mother interviewed, who approved in a rather admiring way, of what her daughter was doing, was appalling.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I noticed that when the Child Poverty Bill was going through the HoC on its second reading, IDS couldn't even be bothered to speak up about it...

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/p ... 7206000297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

I've just put an inch of cold water in a bowl and am dunking my feet in it. Cold towel on the back of my neck if I don't cool down soon.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From politics live G blog ...
He said new measures would also be developed relating to “the root causes of poverty”.
Alongside the statutory measures, we will develop a range of other indicators to measure the progress against the root causes of poverty.

We know that in households with unstable relationships, where debt and addiction destabilise families, where parents lack employment skills, that these children don’t have the same chances in life as other children.

They cannot break out of the cycle of disadvantage.

We are currently developing these measures, including family breakdown, problem debt, and drug and alcohol dependency.

We will report each year on these life chances measures as well.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Lots of concern trolls on the story about Lucas' NHS Bill.

Just a guess, but they ran the NHS till 2010. So given that Lucas seems to have in mind the structure from 1990, they probably don't agree.
Not read anything about Lucas NHS Bill - do you have a link ?
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Ed's tweeting in full swing about child poverty

https://twitter.com/Ed_Miliband" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Given most of those indicators are more prelavent among the non poor(by income)are the better off now poor and the poor now not.Confused I am.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Greek Bailout Fund now at 920,363EUR - @indiegogo http://igg.me/p/1324990/twtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Campaign only started yesterday and page was down last night for hours as well.

Sometimes faith in people is a little resorted - or at least sees a little light :)
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

AngryAsWell wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Lots of concern trolls on the story about Lucas' NHS Bill.

Not read anything about Lucas NHS Bill - do you have a link ?
Just saw Guardian article.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ement-bill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abolishing NHS trusts, which came in, 1990. Not sure it's as easy as she makes out.

But doubtless all that's needed is to be "radical".
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

We've got rain now.

And they're not letting the dog come home until tomorrow.

I feel as though I've done nothing today. Not quite true but that's how it feels.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Greek Bailout Fund now at 920,363EUR - @indiegogo http://igg.me/p/1324990/twtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Campaign only started yesterday and page was down last night for hours as well.

Sometimes faith in people is a little resorted - or at least sees a little light :)
I tried to access the page to donate earlier and couldn't get on it. Mr Riots has given a small donation. He is Greek at heart. He would have us all moved over there in a flash if he could.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

John Swinney was asked to donate to the bailout but he said he didn't want to get the Troika off the hook.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I'm having trouble with my Internet access, everyone.
I'm not ignoring anyone.
Thank you while I deal with my technical difficulties.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

€932,832EUR
raised by 54,535 people in 3 days
0% funded
Great fundraising achievement, but that last number puts it in perspective.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Well, yeah - its just a *tad* ambitious.......
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
€932,832EUR
raised by 54,535 people in 3 days
0% funded
Great fundraising achievement, but that last number puts it in perspective.
True and I don't expect they will make it, but (for me) it proves there are still people out there who actually care about others wellbeing
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Well, yeah - its just a *tad* ambitious.......
Well yeah it is but there are 56,349 Funders who were willing to give it a go - which makes me happy :)
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

rebeccariots2 wrote:We've got rain now.

I feel as though I've done nothing today. Not quite true but that's how it feels.
Sad the dog can't come home yet, but how did the op go? It the vet hopeful it's a success?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Christopher Hope ‏@christopherhope 2m2 minutes ago
Oh. Heathrow-critical ministers told to follow the Prime Minister's example and not comment on the Howard Davies report for several months.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

CPAG response to the changes to the poverty measure.
http://cpag.org.uk/content/government-t ... r-children" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Goodnight, everyone.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
Goodnight, PorFavor
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

We think the heat is causing some havoc resulting in sporadic Internet availability.
Thank you for holding.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Remember the good old days when a heatwave meant your TV reception went all fuzzy?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Paddy Power paid out already on a Yes vote in Greece.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Oh look, guess who's back in town...

Rachel Wolf to Number 10

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehous ... number-10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How to make sure the Gove legacy doesn't get watered down...employ his ex-adviser and founder of the New Schools Network.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Remember the good old days when a heatwave meant your TV reception went all fuzzy?
Lance Corporal Hobiejoe of Her Majesty's 4th Lightly Pedantic Dragoons writes thusly:

"As far as I can remember, it was in fact high atmospheric pressure that caused the problem, although, of course, in summer the same conditions would often also lead to high temperatures, thus leading to a most understandable conflation of the two effects.

Trouble was, it also meant that the troops stationed along the south coast - damned fine chaps, all of them, even the mercenaries and psychopaths - could pick up damned Frenchy revolutionary propaganda on their radiograms. No end of ditties bigging up bloody Napoleon. And don't even arsk about the telly - there we were in the mess tent, gathered around the set and every manjack of us agog to see how Generalfeldmarschall Blucher's sauerkraut went down on "Kommen Dine Mit Me" on the Austro-Hungarian Broadcasting Körperschaft" and there it was, gone. Replaced by absolute drivel. Although there was that one show, presented by an orange Italian chap, seemed to be a combination of filthy propaganda and, errrm filth. The lower orders liked it, as did young Cameron. By the way, must find out how the chap got his commission. Don't recall him earning it the usual way.

Hope this helps, but do bear in mind that the Lance Corporal is not the best witness when it comes to chronology.
Last edited by Hobiejoe on Wed 01 Jul, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:P.S.
My husband is walking to the GP as I type
Cough won't go away
Sorry to hear that you and your husband are suffering from this hot weather, air pollution, high pollen levels, and then power-tools on top of it all. Hope that the doc was able to give him some treatment that will work. (Am reading from the beginning of page one so please forgive me if you've already posted an update to this!)
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:We've got rain now.

Sad the dog can't come home yet, but how did the op go? It the vet hopeful it's a success?
They said it went fine - but it is quite a big deal op. We're hoping he's pretty knocked out tonight - he's never been away from home / us before. He tends to whimper when he's left alone ...