Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd August 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
refitman
Site Admin

Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd August 2015

Post by refitman »

Morning all.

Posted by Hugo at the end of yesterdays thread:
SpinningHugo wrote:Don't want to start a new day, and I am working all day today, but this interview with Balls (who I like) is worth reading.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... efeat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 1st & Sunday 2nd August 2015

Post by yahyah »

John Mann & The Mail still pushing the 'Corbyn did nothing' story.

John Mann ‏@JohnMannMP 1h1 hour ago
Jeremy Corbyn 'did nothing' after being told of paedos in his borough http://dailym.ai/1DWS6sX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; via @MailOnline

I felt angry at stories [still not fully got to the bottom of] of Lib Dems & Tories in London boroughs allegedly not doing anything when confronted with allegations or evidence of abuse.
I can't just ignore it because it is someone I'm leaning towards voting for.

More to the point, the media won't ignore it.
The Goddard inquiry will be in the headlines over the next two or three years, Islington is likely to come up as part of that.

Maybe it is time for a 'truth & reconciliation' process for all those who are/were involved in the murk of these allegations of political moves to hide the truth.
Allow people a period of confidentiality to report to a very tight and small group of investigators.
After that, those who have not co-operated should be called under oath and testimony taken in the open.

Something also needs to be done about the allegations that council insurers used their power to hide things, for fear of having to make large compensation pay outs.

If not, these rumours and allegations will go on and on.
It isn't good for the survivors and won't help our politics in the coming years.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

& a question for OhSo.

Did you download Windows 10 to a tablet ? Or was it a laptop or desktop ?
Just wondering if it would be a different experience if the former or latter.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@ohspcynical

Just catching up on yesterday's posts and noticed your Chrome problem. Coincidentally I had a similar problem a few days ago without the Win10 upgrade albeit something I should have done. Anyway, not that I'd advise it in your case, but a System Restore after the latest update didn't resolve matters so tried reinstalling.

There's no need to uninstall your current version just download the standalone installer, virus scan if not done by default then run, preferably after a reboot or at least a session where you've not tried running Chrome. Worked for me.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

What a nasty smear. Disgusting politics.

Of course, the Daily Mail was 'turning a blind eye' too, to protect the high ranking paedophiles in the Tory party, linked to Thatcher.

And Mann is supposed to be championing the victims, not using them as a political card to play in a Labour party election.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@HindleA

Regarding the missing ESA sanctions, I can only surmise they've been withdrawn to 'undergo quality assurance'. In practice that usually means burying within varied and larger time scales making them almost impossible to extrapolate, notwithstanding that sanctions were less severe pre Oct 2012.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

mikems wrote:What a nasty smear. Disgusting politics.

Of course, the Daily Mail was 'turning a blind eye' too, to protect the high ranking paedophiles in the Tory party, linked to Thatcher.

And Mann is supposed to be championing the victims, not using them as a political card to play in a Labour party election.

You are right about the Mail & Mann's motives, but that doesn't stop the damage now, or if it gains traction.

& do we only call things smears when they touch on uncomfortable areas ?
Are we to presume that the social workers who are reporting what they allege happened are part of Tory/Blairite smears and were from the beginning ?

Do we ignore uncomfortable things because we don't like the messenger or their motivation ?

As someone who has felt the extreme effects of family denial and secrecy over nearly 50 years this is pushing my buttons, I know that.
I also have experienced family breakup and stigmatisation as the result of telling the truth about abuse, something that has been painful beyond words. So am not able to be a neutral on this.

If anyone has clear evidence that all was dealt with in an open and above board way, please can you post it.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

& do we only call things smears when they touch on uncomfortable areas ?
It is a coincidence that it is raised now, out of the blue, when Corbyn is doing well in the leadership election and one of his opponents, who is supposed to be concerned about the victims, is using the self-same victims as a political football and joining up with a fascist rag to do so.

No doubt exactly the same sort of non-allegation allegation can be levelled at almost anyone at anytime, but here it is now, when it can do most harm to Corbyn.

...and blind eyes are still being very much turned towards high-level paedophiles and their links to the tory party.
mikems
Minister of State

Post by mikems »

As someone who has felt the extreme effects of family denial and secrecy over nearly 50 years this is pushing my buttons, I know that.
That's why it is being said now. To upset you and all other victims and turn away from Corbyn. It's nasty politics from utter scum and we should be aware of their dirty games and condemn them.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

Re Windows 10.

Before I got my MacBook Air :heart: & was running my regular Windows laptop, I downloaded the Beta version of Win 10. It changed regularly as they developed it and not every change met with my approval but the final version is great, imo.

It's a VAST improvement on Win 8.1 so I'd say to anyone thinking about it - try it & see. You have 30 days in which you can revert to 8.1. Just make sure you save all your important files & documents to an external drive first !

If you want to revert to 8.1, follow the instructions:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 10.17.33.png
Screen Shot 2015-08-01 at 10.17.33.png (134.43 KiB) Viewed 7773 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Mann is going on about Corbyn and Islington in the past, has he had anything to say about a certain other present day Labour MP who was rather more involved in all this stuff?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

@utopiandreams. It was a leaflet for ESA WRAG group recipients as regards sanctions.It wasn't up for long but is to reappear ,presumably there was incorrect information and had to be changed.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

mikems wrote:
That's why it is being said now. To upset you and all other victims and turn away from Corbyn. It's nasty politics from utter scum and we should be aware of their dirty games and condemn them.
I don't know anything about Corbyn in the way I do about Burnham and Cooper, having observed them in government and read the many things already written about them. It's hard to imagine there are any skeletons still lurking after all their years in Labour in prominent roles. Although this about Corbyn may well be nothing, it's hard not to imagine the press are sitting on plenty of stuff they are waiting to unleash once he's leader to try to destroy Labour. This could just be stuff already known to those who follow politics closely but unknown to his new fans, or it could be real skeletons. I hate to be the voice of cynicism, but the media are giving Corbyn the oxygen needed to created this surge and they wouldn't do so if it was in Labour's favour, of that I'm certain.

Likewise, they have portrayed Ed and now Burnham as unreconstructed Blairites rather than the more complex characters they really are so the left will reject them. Few political journalists bothered to point out that the welfare bill Labour abstained on didn't actually contain the tax credit cuts left wing activists were so upset about, for instance. I just can't shake the feeling Labour supporters are being played, in the way Farage was allowed much uncritical coverage in the press to equally undermine Labour's broad coalition of the left. Burnham is way more popular with the electorate at large than Corbyn ever could be and would lead a unified Labour party with strong support among MPs. He has a track record of being dogged over Hillsborough and innovative with plans for combining health and social care. He has experience and ability and is impressive when speaking in the house of commons. Conversely I have no idea what kind of leader Corbyn would make and struggle to understand why so many people are convinced by him based on so little observable evidence of leadership within government and opposition.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Add to that the fact Harman taking the line she did over the welfare vote was a fairly transparent attempt to stitch Burnham up.
pk1
Speaker of the House

Post by pk1 »

I'd missed this snippet:
One of the bankrollers of Tim Farron’s successful campaign to lead the remnants of the Lib Dems was an eccentric named Derek Laud, a lobbyist who became a minor political celebrity in the 1980s because he was the first black member of the Monday Club, a Tory group that believed in “repatriation” – a polite term for deporting people with the wrong skin colour.

He was also the first black master of the hounds and, briefly, a Conservative parliamentary candidate, but a couple of years ago he denounced the Tories as a “racist” party. He gave Farron’s campaign £2,000.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 94506.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems like some LDs and Tories are fairly closely associated, no matter how 'left' they portray themselves to be.
Last edited by pk1 on Sat 01 Aug, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:& a question for OhSo.

Did you download Windows 10 to a tablet ? Or was it a laptop or desktop ?
Just wondering if it would be a different experience if the former or latter.
Laptop.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:Add to that the fact Harman taking the line she did over the welfare vote was a fairly transparent attempt to stitch Burnham up.
And boy, did it work!

Still, it's interesting to read the Corbyn supporters btl at the Guardian. This is still about Blair. I'm not convinced about the youth support. Most self-confessed Corbyn fans appear to be much older. I read a comment from one who said they were previously a Labour councillor, deselected under Blair and I understand their resentment. There was a mass cull imposed from the top at that time that alienated not just the ousted councillors but the communities they had faithfully served for years. The sudden upheaval really hurt Labour at grassroots level. Some continued to serve locally as independent Labour and such splits have never healed. Maybe it's time to 'have it out' once and for all, I don't know. I don't believe in going backwards, though, and that's what Corbyn feels like to me - a step back.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

There's nothing like a bit of gardening to settle the brain....After downloading Win 10 yesterday, I've just managed to get Chrome back as my browser without any fuss.

Warm but no sunshine today; perfect for pottering with the pruning shears. Wrong time of the year, but I'm a fair weather gardener these days.
A fantastic crop of apples this year.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Lingerie tycoon Michelle Mone 'to be made Tory peer'
The Ultimo underwear founder is said to be 'thrilled' about taking a seat in the House of Lords

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... -peer.html
What can one say?
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
The Ultimo underwear founder is said to be 'thrilled' about taking a seat in the House of Lords

What can one say?
Oh pfft...!
Cameron's making our country a laughing stock.
I'd always wondered how Italians felt about having to put up with the embarrassment that is Berlusconi and now I know.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:

What can one say?
Knickers?

Good morfternoon, everyone.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

The body of Jack the Ripper’s final victim is set to be exhumed as a new book claims the world’s most famous serial killer was her estranged husband.
The Ministry of Justice has indicated it will grant the first ever exhumation licence for the grave of a Ripper victim after examining the new theory, which is serialised exclusively in The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -book.html
Off topic, but interesting.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

What can one say?
Knickers?

Good morfternoon, everyone.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

What can one say?
Oh pfft...!
Cameron's making our country a laughing stock.
I'd always wondered how Italians felt about having to put up with the embarrassment that is Berlusconi and now I know.
Of course, a disturbingly large number enthusiastically supported him - some still think he can do no wrong even now. We're not alone :oops:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:

What can one say?

She'll be able to provide a bespoke lingerie service for her fellow peers then ... Cameron is being very considerate in his appointment.
Working on the wild side.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
The body of Jack the Ripper’s final victim is set to be exhumed as a new book claims the world’s most famous serial killer was her estranged husband.
The Ministry of Justice has indicated it will grant the first ever exhumation licence for the grave of a Ripper victim after examining the new theory, which is serialised exclusively in The Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -book.html
Off topic, but interesting.
Not really off-topic, if you take this article (from yesterday) into account -
This week, residents of the Cable Street area of London were horrified to discover that a site proposed for “the only dedicated resource in the East End to women’s history” turned out to be something unexpected: a Jack the Ripper Museum. This small museum, whose precise contents are as yet unknown but whose frontage boasts the cliched silhouette of “Jack” and a corny skull and crossbones, joins the myriad ways – walking tours, bus tours, guidebooks – in which the Jack the Ripper tourism industry has come to define and historicise the East End of London.

Those who live in the Cable Street neighbourhood – where no “Jack the Ripper” murder actually occurred – are particularly incensed by this prurient version of East End history expanding into their area. Julian Cole, a filmmaker who lives near the site of the museum, was quoted in the Guardian as saying it felt like a sick joke. “You propose a museum celebrating the achievements of women and then it turns out to be a museum celebrating London’s most notorious murderer of women.”

Reacting to the onslaught of criticism, the museum’s creators, who include a former Google diversity chief, Mark Palmer-Edgecumbe, say it will be presented from the “perspective of the victims of Jack the Ripper”, but there is little other evidence that this will actually be the case. The displays in the museum are described as “never-before-seen Jack the Ripper pieces which will provide a glimpse into the sinister world of the mysterious murderer, the panic his reign of terror sparked in Victorian London, and a look at those who tried to track him down”.(Guardian)
The somewhat devious Mark Palmer-Edgcumbe may well be a bit pissed off.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... tims-women
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

What can one say?

She'll be able to provide a bespoke lingerie service for her fellow peers then ... Cameron is being very considerate in his appointment.
All those cross dressing cross benchers I assume.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Been looking at the recent Education Bill evidence session. Incredible. Nick Gibb just keeps mentioning a few favoured academies, and Moynihan just keeps bullshitting.
Q 34 Kevin Brennan: If I may say so, that observation seems to be in direct contrast to what Sir Daniel said earlier. Sir Daniel, would you care to come back, rebut and destroy the points made by the representative of the National Governors’ Association?

Sir Daniel Moynihan: IEBs are an effective solution and in many cases IEBs precede academy conversion. In a number of the schools that we have taken on which have been—

Q 35 Kevin Brennan: I apologise for stopping you, but briefly, the Bill says “must” and that was the question I asked you earlier. It does not envisage an IEB as a possible tool to be used in those circumstances.

Sir Daniel Moynihan: No, but IEBs have often been used in those circumstances, so part of the success of the figures that we have just heard is that of IEBs on their way to delivering an academy solution. I know all academies are not successful and I am not claiming that they are, but not all treatments for any problem are successful and it does not mean that you should not have the treatment. In many cases, sponsored academies are doing an amazing job.
Q 42 Mr Gibb: I think education is about the individual pupil. Can you describe the change in pupils’ life chances at Downhills primary school as a consequence of Harris taking it over, compared with what would have happened to those children had you not intervened?

Sir Daniel Moynihan: At Downhills, the school was failing. Around 70% to 75% of children were making expected progress, so a quarter of children were not making the progress we would expect. In our most recent year, 2014, 100% of children made expected progress. No child underachieved. The number of children reaching secondary-ready standards in reading, writing and maths has improved dramatically. They are better prepared for secondary and will be successful as a result.
It was actually already improving before Harris showed up.

http://www.localschoolsnetwork.org.uk/2 ... s-academy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

I noticed how many MPs spoke apart from Brennan and Gibb. A few bits from Esterson but apart from that not many.

Suella Fernandes was bigging up an academy in her constituency which I looked up at the time - I'll see if I can find it because at the time the "Good" rating that she said it had now certainly hadn't been published...let me take a look.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

A bit old,apologies if seen/known about:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ight-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

English schools see first rise in exclusions in eight years
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote:A bit old,apologies if seen/known about:

http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... ight-years" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

English schools see first rise in exclusions in eight years
Gibbs' response is unbelievable - thanks to our reforms, there are more kids being excluded!

No, the rise in exclusions isn't a good sign you idiot.

Just as a point...we haven't had any exclusions for...I think, four years now. Behavioral problems are dealt with effectively without the need for excluding.

Also, for the past three years we've been part of UNICEF's Rights Respecting Schools programme. Pupils know their rights and what they can expect, not only from the school but from other pupils...but they also know what responsibilities they have to uphold. Same can't be said for some of the parents though...

http://www.unicef.org.uk/rights-respect ... t-is-rrsa/
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

So are free schools/academies excluding at twice the rate ,due to "freedoms" ,as,a control method of pupil intake thus skewing results etc.Excuse ignorance,I know nothing about the subject.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

OK, found it.
Suella Fernandes (Fareham) (Con): Is it not clear from the evidence we have heard that some academy chains perform excellently and some do not, and some maintained schools perform very well and many do not? It is a mixed picture, but it is clear that the academisation programme over the past decade has produced success. The academisation of a school in my constituency has taken it from below average to “good”, and it is on track to “outstanding”. That must surely be progress. Anything that empowers that process and takes it a step forward must be supported.
Fareham has six academies - five converters and one that was a sponsored takeover. The converter academies were all either Good or Outstanding (as you might expect) so she has to be talking about the sponsored one which is St Columba Church of England Primary Academy, sponsored by the Portsmouth & Winchester Diocesan Academies Trust, and taken over in Sept 2012.

It used to be the Oak Meadow Church of England Controlled Primary School which makes me think that it was actually controlled by the very same people who now have it as part of their academy trust. Before becoming an academy it was Satisfactory (equivalent to an RI). The last Ofsted report for the old school said that it was Voluntary Controlled.

Latest Ofsted was an s.8 in Sept 2014 after their Requires Improvement in June 2014. If they've had an inspection since then, it's not published yet.

So where does this idea that she has of it having been "taken from below average to “good”, and it is on track to “outstanding” come from? And before the change in wording, Satisfactory was average.

I don't trust anything any Tory MP says about education...
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

A brief departure into the aviation world with the Guardian's take on the Bin Laden family jet crash.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... rash-cause

This is a great example of how utterly incapable of accurate reporting our arts centric media are when it comes to technology related stories.

Firstly the jet is a small biz jet, always operating at the edge of margins almost by their very nature. Fast, clean but on a budget with limited safety systems. It is not in any way state of the art.

Secondly that long runway isn't, for this sort of jet it is at the margins and has no safe run-off area.

The state of the art navigation system is simply a visual reference that has been in use for donkey's years.

So single pilot operation (as I understand it) slightly long on approach, and by the time they realise their mistake they can't get the power on fast enough to go around (Jet engines requiring a fair amount of time to spool up). This is fairly standard for these sorts of accidents.

Now obviously anything could have happened but the above scenario is credible and hardly baffling. Good weather doesn't really help if you completely screw it up.

So if the media can't get stories like this right how can we trust them with anything outside of art reviews (and Mr Jones at the G is rubbish at those).
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:A brief departure into the aviation world with the Guardian's take on the Bin Laden family jet crash.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... rash-cause

This is a great example of how utterly incapable of accurate reporting our arts centric media are when it comes to technology related stories.

Firstly the jet is a small biz jet, always operating at the edge of margins almost by their very nature. Fast, clean but on a budget with limited safety systems. It is not in any way state of the art.

Secondly that long runway isn't, for this sort of jet it is at the margins and has no safe run-off area.

The state of the art navigation system is simply a visual reference that has been in use for donkey's years.

So single pilot operation (as I understand it) slightly long on approach, and by the time they realise their mistake they can't get the power on fast enough to go around (Jet engines requiring a fair amount of time to spool up). This is fairly standard for these sorts of accidents.

Now obviously anything could have happened but the above scenario is credible and hardly baffling. Good weather doesn't really help if you completely screw it up.

So if the media can't get stories like this right how can we trust them with anything outside of art reviews (and Mr Jones at the G is rubbish at those).
Mr Ohso used to work at British Car Auctions and we've been to Blackbush many times. He said the same as you. The runway isn't that long.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Well - over at Lib Dem Voice there is quite an entertaining slant on the Labour leadership contest with a piece saying that the Lib Dems can gain from the terrible split and disillusion that will occur if Corbyn wins the contest as hordes of Labour people will then find the Lib Dems appealing .... (LDV have also been debating about whether to drop the pigeon logo ... hmmm maybe replace it with a yellow vulture?).

The premise is being debated quite earnestly BTL - as is LDV's style - with little sense of self awareness or irony from some. Some are already holding up garlic and crosses to prevent infestation. Others are saying how fab it would be to have the moderate Blairites on board.
A positive light on the Labour leadership election
http://www.libdemvoice.org/a-positive-l ... 47007.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is my stand out comment though.
Geoff Cutting 1st Aug '15 - 2:59pm
You are delusional if you think any Labour member or supporter will forgive you for propping up the Tories for the last five years.
There will be some who might ... but I appreciate him stating the obvious so directly.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Matthew Cobb retweeted Graham Farmelo
So with no fanfare, but through stealth cuts, the UK's policy of free museums and galleries has been taken apart. Matthew Cobb added,

Graham Farmelo @grahamfarmelo
Science Museum to charge for its most popular gallery, Launch Pad—certain to penalise children of poor families: http://dailym.ai/1fTnTVU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

CARERS NOW BEING TARGETED BY THE DWP.

https://thepoorsideoflife.wordpress.com ... y-the-dwp/
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

dominic dyer retweeted
The League ‏@LeagueACS 5h5 hours ago
"Rural voters deserve better than to be typecast as pro blood sports by the hunting lobby" - @sarahwollaston http://bit.ly/1Jxy5PQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Has the Guardian retired the politics live blog for the summer? Or has it gone for good? I realise I haven't seen it for quite some time now.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Has the Guardian retired the politics live blog for the summer? Or has it gone for good? I realise I haven't seen it for quite some time now.
Andrew said that it would be back when parliament is, in September.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Just seen this from the LRB letters:
It’s hardly surprising, given his investment in the cause, that Toby Young ignores the main points in responding to my piece, and cherry-picks the data. As I wrote, only 19 per cent of secondary free schools are opened in areas with a shortage of places: a colossal waste of funds that justifiably drew the attention of the Public Accounts Committee. When free schools do open in deprived areas, the students they enrol are not the poorest; one of the problems people have with free schools is that they make it possible for sharp-elbowed parents to separate their children from the children of their more deprived neighbours. Of the first wave of 24 free schools, all but two have free school meals rates below the local average. An Institute of Education report on free schools in 2014 showed that 13.5 per cent of pupils attending primary free schools were eligible for free meals when the local average was 18.3 per cent; for secondary free schools, the corresponding figures were 17.5 per cent and 22.1 per cent. Creaming off the children of more affluent parents constitutes social segregation; so too does the existence of religious free schools.

Young seems to think he is held in high regard by free school advocates. When I mentioned his name in the course of interviewing a former Department for Education employee for the piece, my interviewee headbutted the restaurant table in exasperation. I have found the sentiment, if not the gesture, to be common among his ideological comrades.

Dawn Foster
London SW2
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

FWIW

Have submitted a contribution to the Public Bills Committee about the Removal of Welfare and Work even if you are not expected to Bill.Including, the changes to housing support for homeowners which has all party support.If it is unfair to taxpayers for the longterm sick/disabled/carers (despite the repeated utteration of temporarity this is not always the case)for homeowners to get such support;unfair for non homeowners to have an allocated home with a room specifically for care designated spare and penalised as a default position;what is the FINAL SOLUTION envisaged to deal with such situations.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

DEFRA SHOWS BTB INCREASES IN THE CULL ZONES DURING THE BADGER CULLS
Poor Policy: It would be funny if it weren't so serious. The badger culls have failed on every level and now, new Defra statistics show that bTB has risen in the cull zones. At what point do our government stop digging and abandon a policy that is too expensive, ineffective , unscientific, hugely unpopular and just plain stupid.
READ MORE http://ow.ly/QmO4a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And Owen Paterson - along with others - has been claiming that bTB has fallen dramatically in the cull zones .... which has, of course, been published by the media and gone totally unchallenged or checked by them. The Defra data / maps based on it are worth looking at.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Stumbled across this ... and thought Ohso might be interested.
Windows 10 spying: How to opt out of Microsoft's intrusive terms of use
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 32300.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/a ... lum-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Church attacks David Cameron’s lack of compassion over asylum crisis
Bishop of Dover pleads for PM to ‘rediscover what it is to be human’ as No 10 unveils plans for Calais reinforcements... :D
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Hadn't seen this from the other day.

English students at Scottish Unis (who pay fees) up. Scottish students at Scottish unis (who don't) down.

Scottish unis prioritizing fee payers over Scots (who don't pay fees)?
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Sun 02 Aug, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Another piece SNP busting here.

http://blog.mcnalu.net/scottish-government-cuts.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So, in real terms, although the total Scottish government's total expenditure has not been cut since 2008, there has been a £2.5bn real terms cut in what it gives to local government. About £1bn of this occurred from 2013-14 when police and fire services were brought under central control, but that still leaves a real terms cut of around £1.5bn. In addition to this, the 2015-16 budget enforces a council tax freeze for the eighth year in a row, i.e. the tax councils collect from their residents has been decreasing in real terms for eight years.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

HindleA wrote: Bishop of Dover pleads for PM to ‘rediscover what it is to be human’ as No 10 unveils plans for Calais reinforcements... :D
Interesting bit from the Balls interview in the DT...
‘I had many hundreds of emails, from as many Conservative as Labour supporters.’ One of the first to get in touch was Osborne, with whom Balls would sometimes share a late-night drink at a financial summit. ‘He sent me a very nice text.’ Did David Cameron, who once called Balls ‘the most annoying person in modern politics’, do likewise? ‘No.’
Leaving his politics aside, Osborne does actually seem a reasonable sort of guy unlike his boss...
Tish
Committee Member

Post by Tish »

Exaro dropped this overnight

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5624/ ... nt-assault" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No follow up in any of the mainstream media as far as I can see