Monday 7th September

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 7th September

Post by AngryAsWell »

citizenJA wrote:Can someone give me a refresh on the difference between complements and compliments, please?

I once ate a tiny bit of a bite off new growth poison oak in the hopes it would inoculate me against the terrible rashes resulting from contact with poison oak. I've no idea if it worked or not but I've never experienced a poison oak allergic reaction. I know what poison oak looks like so I avoid contact with it, other than that time a ate a little of it. The tiny bite I bit off the growing vine touched my teeth and the inside of my mouth and digestive tract. Nothing bad happened, that I'm aware of. Later, a healthcare professional told me I could've ended up in the ER and not to do it again. I didn't have to pay for that advice. I respect that advice and caution everyone not to eat poison oak. I don't think poison oak has been introduced in the UK. That's good. It's invasive and nasty.
Compliment or complement?
http://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/2011 ... omplement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Complementary = something in addition to something else, working together harmoniously
Complimentary = thank you, AngryAsWell, for providing a handy link teaching me the difference
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

20000. Over how many years?

Another easy headline grabbing figure that the BBC can lap up. :mad:
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

Excuse me but I do find it amusing that Patel replaced McVey after my account of the proposed Tory Party version of Britain's Got Talent with Simon Cowell in the run up to the election. The Priti one had wanted to replace Esther then.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

StephenDolan wrote:20000. Over how many years?

Another easy headline grabbing figure that the BBC can lap up. :mad:
Over five years. And it's "up to" as well.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

About a half hour ago on Sparrow's blog at the G:
Cameron's statement - How an RAF drone killed a British Isis fighter in Syria

Cameron confirms this was the first time in modern times that a British asset was used to attack someone in a country with whom we are not at war.
The attorney general’s advice will not be published, he says.
But it was largely about self-defence.
He says a proper process was followed.
That is the best way to proceed.
The attorney general said there was a legal basis, and then the defence secretary approved the attack.
He says he would repeat this if it were necessary to protect the UK.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... e2d74c5843" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... 58e9dfef11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Cameron said this today:
"The military assessed the target location and chose the optimum time to minimise the risk of civilian casualties. This was a sensitive operation to prevent a very real threat to our country. And I have come to the House today to explain in detail what has happened and to answer questions about it."

UK government authorised targeted airstrike in Syria in August

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/blo ... itics-live" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is distressing to me. Cameron has authorised this. I'm shocked.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

@RobertSnozers
I'm in agreement with your post.
Thank you for giving your opinion on homoeopathy, very reasonable.

I admire your ability to write clearly without nonsense - that's an aside.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

What has this targeted air-strike Cameron authorised in August done to Syria, please?
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Airstrikes are terrifying.
Anyone experienced the like?
I haven't.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Well Cameron has really risen to the humanitarian crisis and found his compassion gene - eh. Huge sarcasm intended.

I am - yet again - embarrassed by the mean attitude of the current UK government. Up to 4,000 refugees a year for the next 5 years. Pathetic.

He's happier going for the bombing option. I expect Fox and Werrity are right behind him.
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Well Cameron has really risen to the humanitarian crisis and found his compassion gene - eh. Huge sarcasm intended.

I am - yet again - embarrassed by the mean attitude of the current UK government. Up to 4,000 refugees a year for the next 5 years. Pathetic.

He's happier going for the bombing option. I expect Fox and Werrity are right behind him.
Yeah, exactly, RR2!
Cameron was apparently aware of terrorist plans of aggression on the UK and thought in order to prevent this from happening, he authorised snuffing some terrorists. I'll have to take his word for it. Nonetheless, I can't be insensible Cameron's authorised action is violence - violence civilian Syrians are fleeing from.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
France tells Cameron: If you want EU reform, don't shirk duties in taking share of refugees - live
President Francois Hollande says France will take more than 24,000 over two years as he warns UK PM that solidarity with EU reform depends on British action on refugees. Follow the latest developments here

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -live.html
They really despise Cameron don't they. Humiliating or what...
They do. It's a shame Holland probably won't be around for another term- his own party will probably want someone else.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

That's as good a spin as you can hope for from me, Dave Cameron.
This is terrifying.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Homeopathy in itself is a minor issue, but it worries me. Corbyn's typically referrred to as "principled". It shouldn't be overlooked that there's a strong populist streak running too- his tax gap stuff, his overestimation of revenues from taxes on high earnings, abolishing student fees, EU referendum, and nationalizing electricity.

On the other hand, we do need things to make people come out and vote for us, I suppose.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think Ed Miliband's upbringing, the experiences his parents went through, would provide the UK with finer leadership.
Of course, I may be entirely wrong.
I suggest it because I'm frightened of Dave Cameron's leadership.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Jeremy Corbyn question to Cameron [youtube]CZS4WKtM--s[/youtube]
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Response ; [youtube]Ja0TsXDAN_g[/youtube]
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The bad news keeps coming.
Doug Richard...adviser to David Cameron, is to appear in court charged with sexually assaulting a 13-year-old child.

Richard, 57, who founded School for Startups, a company that provides training for budding entrepreneurs, was one of the original “dragons” in the popular BBC show...

His advisory work for the Conservative party started in 2008 when Cameron, then leader of the opposition, asked him to compile policy guidelines on support for small businesses. He published a government-requested review of the apprenticeship system in 2012.

The US-born Richard is charged with three counts of sexual activity with a child and one count of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said. The alleged offences occurred on 2 January and relate to one victim aged 13 at the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... al-assault" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Also of note was the unstifled laughter of George Osborne and Theresa May on the Tory side, and shadow chancellor Chris Leslie on the Labour side, as the backbencher spoke.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... h-revealed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ScreenShot00755.png
ScreenShot00755.png (65.98 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

RobertSnozers wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote: As was your response.

Tredinick is claiming that homeopathy can in some cases *replace* conventional medicine, Corbyn that it can *complement*.

This constant barrage really is getting tiresome. Are you going to stop after the election or do we have this to look forward to until May 2020?
Did he?

What was the Tredinick quote?

Here is the Corbyn twitter one

"I believe that homeo-meds works for some ppl and that it compliments 'convential' meds. they both come from organic matter."

2007 Early Day Motion 1240

That this House welcomes the positive contribution made to the health of the nation by the NHS homeopathic hospitals; notes that some six million people use complementary treatments each year; believes that complementary medicine has the potential to offer clinically-effective and cost-effective solutions to common health problems faced by NHS patients, including chronic difficult to treat conditions such as musculoskeletal and other chronic pain, eczema, depression, anxiety and insomnia, allergy, chronic fatigue and irritable bowel syndrome; expresses concern that NHS cuts are threatening the future of these hospitals; and calls on the Government actively to support these valuable national assets.

2011 backed Early Day Motion 1820

That this House welcomes the campaign by the Homeopathy Research Institute (HRI) to place homeopathy research on the national agenda as a credible scientific field of inquiry; notes that the HRI is an innovative charity that does not promote the practice of homeopathy itself, but rather promotes and facilitates scientific research into homeopathy,of which the most controversial aspect is the use ofhighly diluted medicines; acknowledges that, in the UK, the practice of homeopathy has been part of the National Health Service (NHS) since its inception, and since thattime homeopathic medicines have been prescribable to patients; observes that the Faculty of Homeopathy Act 1950 states that the public has access to homeopathy under the NHS so long as patients demand it and doctors are trained to provide it; and calls on the Government to facilitate research into this important area to ascertain the effectiveness of homeopathy.

Both signed by Corbyn.

Homeopathy is for cranks with no judgment.

In my view.

But perhaps he just wants to widen the debate. Or something.

He also didn't say it complements regular medicine. Rather surprisingly he thinks it compliments it. I do like the scare quotes around 'conventional' and the reassurance that both come from organic mater.
Tredinnick quoted above. 'Compliments' is evidently a typo - picking this up is snide by even your standards. I could single out your reassuring organic mother, for example.

Tredinnick's position and Corbyn's are markedly different. Tredinnick is a loon who thinks astrology should be provided on the NHS and homeopathy should be an integral part of health services. He stood for the role of Chair of the Health Select Committee, and raises homeopathy any chance he gets. (He also had to pay back expenses claimed for software that diagnoses health complaints through astrology). Corbyn has signed a couple of EDMs indicating they can supplement conventional treatment (the second of which calls for support for research into homeopathy, not homeopathy itself). Trying to put them in the same bracket on this is unfair.

I don't agree with providing homeopathy on the NHS, and I was in full agreement with my employer West Kent PCT when it withdrew funding. However, I know many people who feel they benefited from homeopathy and I don't believe the viciously dismissive attitude of those wedded entirely to Western medicine (which isn't nearly as evidence-based as they'd like people to believe) is helpful.
No quote above that I can see.

I'll put my faith in 'conventional' (ie actual) science I think. I'll leave homeopathy to the cranks and extremists who reject everything mainstream. It is snakeoil, and should just be condemned.

Sadly, we are no longer in a position to laugh at the idiot Tories who believe in it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Economic news is shit too.
All over the world.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

SHOCK!!!!! HORROR!!!!!

Comrade Corbachev was interviewed by the news broadcaster Britain Today, and said he'd like to discuss stuff.
Whole countries - and jolly bad ones at that - are outraged!
Said Brigadier-Colonel Trumpington-Angry of Tunbridge Wells, "I am outraged and the entire world completely agrees"
He added "Whatever next? Ministers on Strictly Come Dancing?"

Comrade Corbachev was unavailable for comment, as he is busy outraging every single person in every whole country in the world.
His many dozens of enemies are also unavailable for comment, as they are busy looking for evidence of....erm... to print in the Telegraph.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STOP PRESS!!!!! WEIRDIE BEARDIE IS A HOMEOPATH!!!!!!

It has been revealed to this loo-roll that Sir Jeremy Huntingdon-Corbyn, that well-known tree-hugger and vest-wearer, is a dangerous Homeopath.
Parents beware - keep your children safe!
Sir Hunt, as he is known in medical circles, expects our kiddies to drink water when they're ill and plans to ban them from our hospitals while he sends his toff offspring to A&E with their nanny.
He hasn't got a beard (we made that up) but he is weird and he hides behind trees - so committed is he to making other people cure their cancers with water, he isn't one of 70 MPs who proposed it!

Paediatricians are very dangerous people and many entire countries agree - so sign our petition today! We will ensure that The Leader Of The Free Communist World, St.Jezza de Islington, is in the forefront of something or other cont'd P.94.........
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:The case for renationalising Britain's rail network.
http://www.citymetric.com/transport/cas ... twork-1375" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The author is a PhD researcher and research assistant in transport policy and governance at University College London.
She's probably not top notch enough for some who think Labour shouldn't dare even think about renationalisation and that fares are too cheap.
This is the report Corbyn's built his rail policy on, if you're interested.

http://www.transportforqualityoflife.co ... ersion.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Corbyn caused some alarm on twitter among some rail folk for saying the government should run train procurement (they have recently and it didn't go well). He might have meant Network Rail, but they're generally recognized as being below par.

By 2020, when Corbyn's in a position to bring in his rail bill, Network Rail might be much better shape, and the time could be right. He could say he was ahead of the game.

There's some general scepticism towards government being as involved in rail as Corbyn suggests. That might be just his turn of phrase, meaning basically "government not Branson", but raises a few unwelcome spectres.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Corbyn's a good guy.
There's no serious problem with the man, I've a great deal of respect for him.
I've never wavered.
Ephemerid justly and hilariously mocks what is nothing less than hysteria over his...what? ungoodness? Double-plus ungoodness?
This is silly.
We need a coherent government here pronto.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:Homeopathy in itself is a minor issue, but it worries me. Corbyn's typically referrred to as "principled". It shouldn't be overlooked that there's a strong populist streak running too- his tax gap stuff, his overestimation of revenues from taxes on high earnings, abolishing student fees, EU referendum, and nationalizing electricity.

On the other hand, we do need things to make people come out and vote for us, I suppose.
To date I have talked to a handful of solid Labour voters I know in the real world about Corbyn. The politest thing said was idiot. At least one declared an intent to join the Lib Dem revival (they were being a bit sarcastic) if he got elected.

It is profoundly depressing. I have no idea what he said about Homeopathy (although in my view any politician in any party supporting it should be deselected on the grounds of being deliberately evil (water is cheap) or spectacularly stupid).

I note Cameron depressingly wiped the floor with Corbyn today.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

citizenJA wrote:Corbyn's a good guy.
I've never wavered.
Ephemerid justly and hilariously mocks what is nothing less than hysteria over his...what? ungoodness? Double-plus ungoodness?
This is silly.
He has no qualifications for the job and much of what he says is risible nonsense.

Is he a good guy? Don't know, don't care. Michael Foot was a fabulous person (who I was very fortunate to meet) but an utter disaster as a leader.
Release the Guardvarks.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Having suffered clinical depression, it is not a term I would throw around loosely just because I were a tad pissed off.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

SpinningHugo wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Did he?

What was the Tredinick quote?

Here is the Corbyn twitter one

"I believe that homeo-meds works for some ppl and that it compliments 'convential' meds. they both come from organic matter."

2007 Early Day Motion 1240

That this House welcomes the positive contribution made to the health of the nation by the NHS homeopathic hospitals; notes that some six million people use complementary treatments each year; believes that complementary medicine has the potential to offer clinically-effective and cost-effective solutions to common health problems faced by NHS patients, including chronic difficult to treat conditions such as musculoskeletal and other chronic pain, eczema, depression, anxiety and insomnia, allergy, chronic fatigue and irritable bowel syndrome; expresses concern that NHS cuts are threatening the future of these hospitals; and calls on the Government actively to support these valuable national assets.

2011 backed Early Day Motion 1820

That this House welcomes the campaign by the Homeopathy Research Institute (HRI) to place homeopathy research on the national agenda as a credible scientific field of inquiry; notes that the HRI is an innovative charity that does not promote the practice of homeopathy itself, but rather promotes and facilitates scientific research into homeopathy,of which the most controversial aspect is the use ofhighly diluted medicines; acknowledges that, in the UK, the practice of homeopathy has been part of the National Health Service (NHS) since its inception, and since thattime homeopathic medicines have been prescribable to patients; observes that the Faculty of Homeopathy Act 1950 states that the public has access to homeopathy under the NHS so long as patients demand it and doctors are trained to provide it; and calls on the Government to facilitate research into this important area to ascertain the effectiveness of homeopathy.

Both signed by Corbyn.

Homeopathy is for cranks with no judgment.

In my view.

But perhaps he just wants to widen the debate. Or something.

He also didn't say it complements regular medicine. Rather surprisingly he thinks it compliments it. I do like the scare quotes around 'conventional' and the reassurance that both come from organic mater.
Tredinnick quoted above. 'Compliments' is evidently a typo - picking this up is snide by even your standards. I could single out your reassuring organic mother, for example.

Tredinnick's position and Corbyn's are markedly different. Tredinnick is a loon who thinks astrology should be provided on the NHS and homeopathy should be an integral part of health services. He stood for the role of Chair of the Health Select Committee, and raises homeopathy any chance he gets. (He also had to pay back expenses claimed for software that diagnoses health complaints through astrology). Corbyn has signed a couple of EDMs indicating they can supplement conventional treatment (the second of which calls for support for research into homeopathy, not homeopathy itself). Trying to put them in the same bracket on this is unfair.

I don't agree with providing homeopathy on the NHS, and I was in full agreement with my employer West Kent PCT when it withdrew funding. However, I know many people who feel they benefited from homeopathy and I don't believe the viciously dismissive attitude of those wedded entirely to Western medicine (which isn't nearly as evidence-based as they'd like people to believe) is helpful.
No quote above that I can see.

I'll put my faith in 'conventional' (ie actual) science I think. I'll leave homeopathy to the cranks and extremists who reject everything mainstream. It is snakeoil, and should just be condemned.

Sadly, we are no longer in a position to laugh at the idiot Tories who believe in it.

Now Hugo, you are being silly.

A lot of people use homeopathy as a...the clue is in the word...complementary remedy.
Are all the people who use arnica cream 'rejecting everything mainstream ?

Surely not.

One of the GPs at the practice I worked at recommended homeopathic remedies for patients for a variety of reasons.
For minor ailments, where a patient is on a lot of conventional medicines and additional drugs could cause interactions, then homeopathic remedies may be a good idea, and keep the patient happy.

And even if they are 'quack' have you never read anything about the role of placebos ?

That GP was not only much loved and respected by patients and other medical staff, he had a good reputation for getting trainee GPs through their MRCGP exam and went on to be Dean of a medical postgraduate centre. Part of his success was in teaching new doctors to understand the patient rather than seeing them as a parcel of symptoms to throw drugs at.

When I left my job I was about to embark on a project for our PCT, with a pharmacist and me doing admin, list searches etc, looking at identifying problems relating to polypharmacy amongst our elderly patients.

My brain's getting a little middle aged and I can't remember offhand the number of patients admitted to hospital because of problems related to their medication.
It was quoted at a work training course, and it was high, and not anything to do with 'loons' or homeopathy but regular conventional medical treatments.

But, hey ho, you know it all Dr Hugo, keep bashing away at Corbyn why don't you ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry, I should have used Ephie's approach, far more effective than a rant.

We get it guys. You hate Corbyn. You cannot be wrong. He can never succeed.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Paddy Ashdown ✔ @paddyashdown
Minister in the Lords just confirmed refugee orphans and children brought in under Cameron's scheme will be deported at age 18.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

yahyah wrote:Sorry, I should have used Ephie's approach, far more effective than a rant.

We get it guys. You hate Corbyn. You cannot be wrong. He can never succeed.

D'oh, yahyah.

We have been informed today that entire countries support Corbyn. ENTIRE COUNTRIES, yahyah.
Do pay attention.

One bloke from one profession in one country who has not got a vote and who thinks Corbyn will lose.
That, yahyah, is the TRUTH and that means ENTIRE COUNTRIES.

Corbyn is the only person in the whole of the House of Commons who thinks NHS hospitals famous for one type of complementary thing should be allowed to stay open.
Well, the only one of, er, seventy people (evenly split between the parties) who also signed the EDM in question....

IT'S ALL CORBYN'S FAULT!!!!!!!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

So, presumably, David Cameron will detail off somebody to scour refugee camps for orphans who

a) are over the age of 17 years,
and
b) didn't especially want to come to the UK in the first place.

Edited to add

With a couple of babies and toddlers thrown in for their PR value.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Hansard on todays proceedings.

I missed this reply from Dunkin' Smiffers during the DWP questions, although I was sort of watching through squinted eyes and gritted teeth.

Maybe I'm becoming desensitized.
ScreenShot00756.jpg
ScreenShot00756.jpg (92.57 KiB) Viewed 5673 times
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

On and on it will now go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34179201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@ephemerid

Fancy mentioning paediatricians, ephe. Has nobody told you Rebekah is back?
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:Homeopathy in itself is a minor issue, but it worries me. Corbyn's typically referrred to as "principled". It shouldn't be overlooked that there's a strong populist streak running too- his tax gap stuff, his overestimation of revenues from taxes on high earnings, abolishing student fees, EU referendum, and nationalizing electricity.

To date I have talked to a handful of solid Labour voters I know in the real world about Corbyn. The politest thing said was idiot. At least one declared an intent to join the Lib Dem revival (they were being a bit sarcastic) if he got elected.

It is profoundly depressing. I have no idea what he said about Homeopathy (although in my view any politician in any party supporting it should be deselected on the grounds of being deliberately evil (water is cheap) or spectacularly stupid).

I note Cameron depressingly wiped the floor with Corbyn today.
Compare and contrast Cooper's performance today.

One offs don't matter much, though important for morale. Over a longtime will be grim (but not the worst part).
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
citizenJA wrote:Corbyn's a good guy.
I've never wavered.
This is silly.
He has no qualifications for the job and much of what he says is risible nonsense.

Is he a good guy? Don't know, don't care. Michael Foot was a fabulous person (who I was very fortunate to meet) but an utter disaster as a leader.
You don't think Corbyn is a fit Labour leader with good reasons why.
I'm not arguing with you.
I voted Burnham, Cooper, Corbyn and Kendall in that order.
I like every voter who voted for Corbyn first too.
Or Cooper or Kendall, I like those voters too.

The Labour party currently has some talented people and I'm grateful for their work.
All Labour party leadership, members and supporters, I ask us all to cooperate with each other.
We don't have to like everyone, we can agree to disagree.

The Tory party vote Tory every time.
It's the only behaviour Labour should copy.
Change the Labour party all you want, work to satisfy your conscience but vote Labour.
The Labour party vote Labour every time.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:On and on it will now go

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34179201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's not illogical- if you want the Coalition to get out, realistically they're going to have to be resisted.

Though you probably can't be PM after you've nodded along with that.
SpinningHugo
Prime Minister

Post by SpinningHugo »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

It's not illogical- if you want the Coalition to get out, realistically they're going to have to be resisted.

Not sure about the first proposition. Just as it is possible to want a united Ireland, but not support those who think it is OK to murder to get it.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Government delays revealing identities of RBS share buyers
UKFI has asked for 20 working days to decide if public interest in disclosure outweighs public interest in withholding the information

The government is continuing to refuse to reveal the identities of the hedge funds and institutional investors to which it sold shares in Royal Bank of Scotland last month. UK Financial Investments (UKFI), which handled the sale of £2bn of shares in the Edinburgh-based bank, has not disclosed the list of institutions that bought the 5% stake sold off in August.

The sale represented the first reduction in the government stake in RBS since the £45bn taxpayer bailout seven years ago at the height of the banking crisis. It resulted in a £1bn loss for the exchequer as the shares were sold at a lower price than the average price the government paid for them. Around 60% of the shares sold were bought by hedge funds in a sell-off that reduced the taxpayer stake from 79% to just below 73%.

UKFI – whose boss, James Leigh-Pemberton, will give evidence to the Treasury select committee of MPs on Tuesday – is yet to decide whether to reply fully to a freedom of information request asking for the identities of the buyers. UKFI is also considering whether to release the terms of the sales mandate handed to the bankers handling the sale.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... identities" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

Not sure about the first proposition. Just as it is possible to want a united Ireland, but not support those who think it is OK to murder to get it.
I think that is a bit of over-reach as an attack on Corbyn. If he himself had said it or authorised it then he should immediately be dismissed from the Labour Party and possibly ejected from the commons. However being on a steering committee of an organisation (even an odious one like Stop The War) that attended the conference which put out a statement advocating attacking British soldiers is a bit bloody remote.

I doubt Corbyn noticed, and I rather doubt he would authorise anything advocating violence.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I didn't put it very well.

I'm talking about intervention in Iraq as inherently a bad thing. If you believe that, you can't think a bloodless coup is OK. Whatever makes the Coalition less likely to intervene can be seen as necessary, which is military resistance.

It's grim logic, but it's logic.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:

Partly because you and people like you keep pushing the roundabout
Oh come on, the Tory Party are the ones who will push this. The entire Labour Party inclundic Danczuk could all become avid Corbynistas and these stories will just keep coming.

Cameron's put down today was masterful (which given what a tosser he is annoys me). Tory press will run another Corbyn quote (or associates quote) every few weeks. It is just one of the reasons he is a bad choice for leader.

They have been playing nicely so far.
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RobertSnozers wrote:

Partly because you and people like you keep pushing the roundabout
People like Hugo here being BBC Panorama.

Corbyn has never expected to be in this position. There's 30 years of hostages to fortune he's left. It's why ambitious politicians are much more circumspect (apart from Johnson, of course, but it'll probably trip him up in the end).

Being a successful governing politician has a strong element of diplomacy to it. Coming to it as a campaigning politician doesn't necessarily work.

The SNP aren't led by Tommy Sheridan. They're led by Nicola Sturgeon.
Last edited by Tubby Isaacs on Mon 07 Sep, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

SpinningHugo wrote:.

Fantastic stuff, Hugo!

An entire country's worth of no daft quotes from the Torygraph, Russia Today, or other Corbynistamaniacomradebashingeopathy!

Keep it coming like this, and even I might approve.

Toodlepip!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote: It's not illogical- if you want the Coalition to get out, realistically they're going to have to be resisted.

I think that is a bit of over-reach as an attack on Corbyn. If he himself had said it or authorised it then he should immediately be dismissed from the Labour Party and possibly ejected from the commons. However being on a steering committee of an organisation (even an odious one like Stop The War) that attended the conference which put out a statement advocating attacking British soldiers is a bit bloody remote.

I doubt Corbyn noticed, and I rather doubt he would authorise anything advocating violence.
The problem might be that he attended in person, and doesn't seem to have said anything to oppose the communique. As you say, I'm sure he didn't agree with it.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

RobertSnozers wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
SpinningHugo wrote: Not sure about the first proposition. Just as it is possible to want a united Ireland, but not support those who think it is OK to murder to get it.

It's been like this all day.
And when the Tory attack dogs kick off next week it will be relentless.

The comments on homeopathy are fairly damning (how much scorn did we rightly throw at Hunt for saying less?) As a back bench MP harmless, not great as leader. But anybody who believes Homeopathy is effective as a treatment doesn't understand science. It has been repeatedly shown to be clinically useless as a treatment (AKA - not significantly better than Placebo).
Release the Guardvarks.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Finally, I have voted.

Ultimately, I could find pros and cons with all the candidates (though Liz Kendall is just too right wing for me) so I decided to vote mainly on the basis that we need more women in politics.

I hope this is as good a reason as any other ;-)