Saturday 12th September

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
frightful_oik
Whip

Re: Saturday 12th September

Post by frightful_oik »

I daresay there'll be some opinion polling in the Sundays. Interesting.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Was reading The Rise of Labour in bed last night and the point was made in it that Labour lost support in the fifties when the Tories were still acting as real One Nation Tories, and did not seek to break the consensus on the NHS etc. That was because the gap between them narrowed.

Now the Tories are ramping up Thatcher's New Right, Labour need to be clearly different.

Also, surely even the most rabid Corbyn hater must admit that the Tory policies will have an effect in the next four years ? High street and online sales are down, effects of tax credit cuts etc are filtering through. Manufacturing not good, balance of payments or whatever they call it is poor.

When the economy starts going the other way again people may be open to a more radical alternative. Corbyn, with help from ALL in the party can make sure 2020 is winnable.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

frightful_oik wrote:I daresay there'll be some opinion polling in the Sundays. Interesting.

I'm more concerned about what Murdoch's got up his sleeve.
He is not going to like Watson winning.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
yahyah wrote:'The biggest party mandate for any political leader in UK political history'
Really?

I doubt it. Labour membership is still tiny and insignificant as a percentage of the electorate.
Yeah, that's the spirit ;)

Lots of people who voted for Corbyn to be leader today supported D Miliband in 2010, and indeed Blair back in 1994.

It is possible they may just have taken leave of their senses, or there might - just maybe - be more to it than that.

I feel a period of reflection for those of us who did not support him is in order.
I'm waiting to see what Corbyn does, before coming to any conclusions. I've read so many assertions from Corbyn supporters of what kind of government he would lead, all of them completely contradictory, I don't really know what to expect. Who he puts in his shadow cabinet may offer a few clues.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Hutton ‏@RobDotHutton 55m55 minutes ago
Robert Hutton retweeted Greg Dawson
Doing PMQs less will increase the pressure when he does turn up.

Greg DawsonVerified account
‏@Gregstweet
Just spoken to Jeremy Corbyn. He's confirmed he intends to have other Labour MPs take his role at some sessions of PMQs
I think it's a good idea. Will keep Cameron guessing and less able to just carry on with the same jibes, sneers and evasions. Bit like a clever tennis player with a lot of variety in their game can put the so called big hitters under pressure and make them unsettled and unable to play their usual game as they would like. (Sorry US Open speak is with me ... but it's a very good analogy.)
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Mearns MP ‏@IanMearnsMP 39m39 minutes ago
Over 6000 new members have joined the Labour Party today! Help us change Britain: http://join.labour.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mr Riots says he'd like to join again!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@Gregstweet
Just spoken to Jeremy Corbyn. He's confirmed he intends to have other Labour MPs take his role at some sessions of PMQs
I think it's a good idea. Will keep Cameron guessing and less able to just carry on with the same jibes, sneers and evasions. Bit like a clever tennis player with a lot of variety in their game can put the so called big hitters under pressure and make them unsettled and unable to play their usual game as they would like. (Sorry US Open speak is with me ... but it's a very good analogy.)

Sounds good, and Cameron can't have his list of Corbyn honed 'knifed your brother' type jibes ready.

I'd just like Corbyn to stand there while Cameron shouts and blushes and just look at his watch until Cameron calms down. Treat him as a naughty bullying child, give him time out.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@Gregstweet
And sounds like a damned good idea to me.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Over 6000 new members have joined the Labour Party today! Help us change Britain: http://join.labour.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tell him he can have full fat cheddar if he does.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Oh well done Mr Riots... :clap:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:What's happened with the conference jobs we voted on ?

Any feedback on the results would be appreciated.

Aren't those quite important in terms of what happens at Conference re debates etc.
I think they get announced at Conference - it wasn't full NEC Elections this year. I can't find when we'll have the announcements for London Assembly Member candidates, either, so wonder if that happens at Conference, too.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Tell him he can have full fat cheddar if he does.
Yep. Double helpings. No dammit. Triple helpings.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Ian Lavery MP ‏@IanLaveryMP 1h1 hour ago
.@DPJHodges You don't speak for me as an MP nor other Labour MPs. Stop treating the membership with contempt. They've spoken. Get to grips.
Why thank you Mr Lavery. Bang on.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
He's already a member. He's just feeling very enthused by the energy - wants to be part of the big joining in. He'll go for the cheese anyway.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Call me a Stalinist (can't be a Trot as well can I) but Hodges needs to be purged.

Isn't there a thing in some sports - bringing the sport into disrepute can lead to censure ?

At the very least he should be put on a warning for pretending to be a Labour supporter while mopping up media cash to smear the party.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

howsillyofme1 wrote:I am disgusted by the speed in which some people have resigned from the shadow front bench

It just helps a hostile media set the narrative. If these people, some of which were not exactly supportive of Ed either, now find that their views are so alienated from those of one of their key electorates...the party membership itself.... then they should just leave!

There is no basis for a fifth column of parliamentarians based on these results.......they have not even had time to see what Corbyn has actually proposed as policies.
Never being one to push the point, hsm, but more fool me too. But hey, let's not worry about those wishing to sulk and lick their wounds, let's leave them to it and blindly get plastered.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:I daresay there'll be some opinion polling in the Sundays. Interesting.

Murdoch is the main reason I voted Watson, and I reckon a lot of other people did too...

Hasten to add I did like Watson's ideas on updating Labour's involvement with councils and supporters too...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Mr Riots says he'd like to join again!
He's already a member. He's just feeling very enthused by the energy - wants to be part of the big joining in. He'll go for the cheese anyway.
He can have my share too.... :(
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 4m4 minutes ago
If you take out the controversial £3 registered Lab supporters, Corbyn would still have won with 51.39 % of the total vote in first round.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Mr Riots says he'd like to join again!
Like my old man, he's on his desk top writing emails to Watson, Corbyn and whoever else will listen.
Haven't seen him so enthused as in the last few weeks.

Our Lib Dem pal is Corbyn's age, and he thought a lot of voters will be pleased to see an older head back in the limelight, someone who has lived through things rather than reading about them in the PPE books.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Call me a Stalinist (can't be a Trot as well can I) but Hodges needs to be purged.

Isn't there a thing in some sports - bringing the sport into disrepute can lead to censure ?

At the very least he should be put on a warning for pretending to be a Labour supporter while mopping up media cash to smear the party.
It's going to be interesting to see if the MSM persist in getting commentators of the Hodges, Collins ilk to comment on Labour matters in the future. It must surely be becoming obvious - even to the MSM - how distanced they are from the recent, current and future activity. And we ought to have a change of 'grandees' too - it's embarrassing how often the same out of touch figures are resorted to. This result might just ... might .... just .... get a few editors thinking about broadening the pool?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

COsoGwaWwAAcujk.png
COsoGwaWwAAcujk.png (104.14 KiB) Viewed 6053 times
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Cripes! That's an impressive figure for new members in one day. Are you going to give Mr Riots permission to rejoin? eat full strength proper cheese;)
Edit to change my question as the original was answered above....
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Sat 12 Sep, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
yahyah wrote:Call me a Stalinist (can't be a Trot as well can I) but Hodges needs to be purged.

It's going to be interesting to see if the MSM persist in getting commentators of the Hodges, Collins ilk to comment on Labour matters in the future. It must surely be becoming obvious - even to the MSM - how distanced they are from the recent, current and future activity. And we ought to have a change of 'grandees' too - it's embarrassing how often the same out of touch figures are resorted to. This result might just ... might .... just .... get a few editors thinking about broadening the pool?
In some cases hopefully, but I fear Newsnight is a lost cause. That decrepit relic needs to be put out of its misery.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Oh well done Mr Riots... :clap:
Like my old man, he's on his desk top writing emails to Watson, Corbyn and whoever else will listen.
Haven't seen him so enthused as in the last few weeks.

Our Lib Dem pal is Corbyn's age, and he thought a lot of voters will be pleased to see an older head back in the limelight, someone who has lived through things rather than reading about them in the PPE books.
I have been all for the young taking control. Even agreed with sixteen year olds getting the vote, but despite a huge Twitter campaign by the young, for the young, they failed to put their money where their mouths were in May.

I've even become disillusioned with those in their forties. And they really should know better. I'd had to gain a lot of insight by the time I was that age.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
yahyah wrote:

Murdoch is the main reason I voted Watson, and I reckon a lot of other people did too...

Hasten to add I did like Watson's ideas on updating Labour's involvement with councils and supporters too...
It's at the local level that Labour needs to concentrate most right now, I reckon.
Sadiq Khan had it right that Labour needs to gain power, at every level, to show how Labour can do things better. If you have a well run local Labour council, you are less likely to believe the MSM when they tell you Labour are incompetent. The media will never allow Labour to effectively get their message across at national level, but local press is harder for the Murdoch's of this world to control. I actually find the fact that the BBC is talking about scrapping children's telly (something Murdoch's wanted for a very long time) and at the same time planning new local news reporting to rival local newspapers very worrying. Labour need to get their act together very quickly. If Corbyn is the catslyst for some kind of forward momentum they should grasp it - they'll be time to change policies later on, but there won't be time to rejuvenate the grassroots and grow the party at local government level later.They have to get on with it quickly. Khan better be up to winning the London mayor race as Labour are really going to need it as a base to build on. He's certainly very personable, which will surely help.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

Well that was a huge mandate I'd say. As you all know, I didn't have a vote for obvious reasons but I did wonder who I'd vote for if I did have an option. In terms of the deputy leadership, I can't warm to Watson [despite his good work on Murdoch, and paedophilia], so I think my vote would have gone to Stella. That said, I didn't look into it in great depth so possibly I'd have voted differently. And maybe Watson has skills that will be of great service to Labour. In terms of the leadership, obviously Corbyn is closer to Green thinking in many ways than the other candidates but I did wonder about his appeal to the wider electorate. Especially with all the 'he's unelectable' clap trap. But then I don't see the others being able to win in 2020 tbh. So I figured I'd twist or bust and go for Corbyn. Looks like others who did have a vote may have thought that way too. Who knows, come 2020 the electorate may even be of the same frame of mind. That's if Corbyn lasts until then. But if he does, it will be because Labour are doing well.

I might have to move to just North of Peterborough........... ;)
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 4m4 minutes ago
Exc @HuffPostUK interview, @Corbyn4Leader vows to fight 2020 genelexn + reform PMQs Adds lots want to join ShadCab
http://huff.to/1XWJMpp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good interview. Gives me a bit more hope that we'll see Angela Eagle as Shadow Chancellor. And here's his take on the PMQs change ...
Mr Corbyn said that he was not going to change his political style, and wanted to move debate away from personalities to policies – and revealed he would change the way PMQs worked every week.

“I don’t do personal, I don’t give it, I don’t take it. I’m just not interested,” he said.

“I want Prime Minister’s Question Time to be less theatre, more fact, less theatrical, more understandable. I think it’s very exciting for political obsessives, it’s utterly boring for most of the population, who think it’s an utter irrelevance,” he said.

“I will be trying to conduct my part in Prime Minister’s Question Time on the basis of the questions and also share out a lot more stuff in within the Parliamentary Labour Party.

“I’ll obviously be there and do all the things that I’m asked to do. But we’ve got a lot of very talented people within the Parliamentary Labour Party. They can call ask questions, they can all do things, let’s share it all out a bit. It won’t all be me everywhere all the time.

“It’s a whole party, and a whole movement. We are about bringing people on, not stopping people.”
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... sults.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 4m4 minutes ago
Exc @HuffPostUK interview, @Corbyn4Leader vows to fight 2020 genelexn + reform PMQs Adds lots want to join ShadCab
http://huff.to/1XWJMpp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good interview. Gives me a bit more hope that we'll see Angela Eagle as Shadow Chancellor. And here's his take on the PMQs change ...
Mr Corbyn said that he was not going to change his political style, and wanted to move debate away from personalities to policies – and revealed he would change the way PMQs worked every week.

“I don’t do personal, I don’t give it, I don’t take it. I’m just not interested,” he said.

“I want Prime Minister’s Question Time to be less theatre, more fact, less theatrical, more understandable. I think it’s very exciting for political obsessives, it’s utterly boring for most of the population, who think it’s an utter irrelevance,” he said.

“I will be trying to conduct my part in Prime Minister’s Question Time on the basis of the questions and also share out a lot more stuff in within the Parliamentary Labour Party.

“I’ll obviously be there and do all the things that I’m asked to do. But we’ve got a lot of very talented people within the Parliamentary Labour Party. They can call ask questions, they can all do things, let’s share it all out a bit. It won’t all be me everywhere all the time.

“It’s a whole party, and a whole movement. We are about bringing people on, not stopping people.”
Like it !!!!!
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote: Also, surely even the most rabid Corbyn hater must admit that the Tory policies will have an effect in the next four years ? High street and online sales are down, effects of tax credit cuts etc are filtering through. Manufacturing not good, balance of payments or whatever they call it is poor.
Does anyone think Corbyn has any idea what to do about it?

Brown and Blair had excellent GDP growth over their period, so spending could be increased and lots of social problems turned around. I've seen very little acknowledgement of this from Corbyn. All a big "neo-liberal" mistake, apparently.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

My non voting parents really don't like the look of Corbyn, despite me defending him.

But hey, I'm sure all those non-voters are really Corbynite leftists.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ooh-er. I've just told Murdoch he doesn't live here, only takes our money and to bugger off. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:

‏@Gregstweet

Sounds good, and Cameron can't have his list of Corbyn honed 'knifed your brother' type jibes ready.

I'd just like Corbyn to stand there while Cameron shouts and blushes and just look at his watch until Cameron calms down. Treat him as a naughty bullying child, give him time out.
Some good points amongst those, yahyah, including team work, but regarding his standing patiently until Cameron clams down remind me of when I did customer service for that furniture store. Yeah, yeah, here I go again. Seriously though when making complaints as often as not people are disappointed, even angry, so need to get it off their chest, so I would shut up and pay attention whilst they did so. Having evaluated the situation I would quietly and calmly agree that they were understandably upset and then try to arrive at a resolution, sometimes if I deemed it necessary asking that they don't fall out with me as I've come to help.

That did not however mean that I simply rolled over there was much more to it than that and often required a little, let's call it education, which could result in their buying more expensive furniture. But the secret was of course the low voice.they had to shut up in order to listen.

There were the odd exceptions however, for example I once took that warehouse lad with me to a call because they were complaining of poor assembly of some high quality wardrobes, which to be frank were rather well done considering how uneven their floor. No matter how much I tried to reason with the guy he kept effing and blinding and screaming about the grain pattern on the wood of the back panels inside the wardrobe.

Much to the astonishment of my colleague, I merely turned to the chap and words to this effect, "May I use your phone, it's fucking obvious there's no pleasing you so you can fuck off. I'm calling the lads back to collect your fucking furniture and am giving you a refund."

"No, no, you can't do that. Perhaps if you could..."

After a few minutes slightly adjusting the doors he seemed perfectly happy. After we left my colleague asked what would I do if he phoned the boss. "Why should I care he deserved every word of it?" I'm not suggesting that Jeremy behave as in this latter case especially within the House but the calm, quiet approach can often work wonders. Bercow would have to tell the fuckers behind ham face to politely shut up.
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sat 12 Sep, 2015 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:If Hunt won't serve as shadow Education Secretary, I'd ask Kevin Brennan - ex-teacher and provided Nick Gibb with some awkward moments in the Committee stage on the Education Bill. Bill Esterson would make a good choice too - came across very well on the Select Committee last time round.
Or Pat Glass?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

With all respect Tubby. If they're willing to let others vote for them, then they should rest content with the results...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

I want Prime Minister’s Question Time to be less theatre, more fact, less theatrical, more understandable. I think it’s very exciting for political obsessives, it’s utterly boring for most of the population, who think it’s an utter irrelevance,” he said.

Unfortunately, Corbyn doesn't seem to be particularly good at facts. "£2m pensioners in poverty", "PFI costs 6 times as much", "this top rate tax will raise £5bn". Just as narrative-driven as anyone else, really.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:With all respect Tubby. If they're willing to let others vote for them, then they should rest content with the results...
I'm saying they might vote, to vote against Corbyn.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Wales reacts to the Jeremy Corbyn political earthquake
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good round up of comments and statements from a variety of party leaders, MPs and others.

These two stood out ...
Welsh Liberal Democrat leader Kirsty Williams said Mr Corbyn was “exactly the opposite of what this country needs”.

She said: “With a Conservative Party in Government acting like it’s the 1980s, the last thing Labour should be doing is acting like it’s the 1970s. Corbyn’s style of politics may generate a lot of noise, but it’s only one thing that keeps a government in check: credible opposition.
:lol: :lol: The Lib Dems have spent the last 5 years telling us they kept the Tories in check, luv. Get your story straight.

and
Environmental campaigner George Monbiot was not sorry to see the departures.*

He said: “To those resigning from the shadow cabinet: good riddance. You’ve now made it clear that you had no intention of building a fairer country.”
*Jamie Reed, Tristam Hunt et al.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From LDV on the Corbyn win ... http://www.libdemvoice.org/sal-brinton- ... l#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The first Liberal Democrat reaction has come from Party President Sal Brinton:

The Corbyn style of politics may generate a lot of noise but only one thing keeps Government in check – credible opposition.

As Labour abdicates its responsibilities, the Liberal Democrats will offer the serious, responsible and economically-literate alternative this country badly needs.

We will find common cause with the millions of people who do not support this Government and need a party to represent them.”
There's that line again. But they've spent the last 5 years telling us only they in coalition could keep the govt in check ..... etc etc etc.

I'm bored with that response already.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby

You are right that he has to follow up today with a clear message that appeals and good communication. He needs to be a leader and we have to see whether he can do that

He has, however, a platform to build from and judicious use of the talent within the party should help.....it is not him that has said he will not work with others

2020 will be very difficult - but let us at least hope!

The electorate spoke loud and clear today. Kendall was at 5% and Corbyn at 59% as well as a clear victory in the full members

If the right wing of the party who grouped around Kendall still think they are in the ascendancy then they need to small the roses

And the membership is at 250 000 with the possibility of more - the question is how do we use that to our advantage?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:With all respect Tubby. If they're willing to let others vote for them, then they should rest content with the results...
Sorry Tubby,thanked you in error.Ok,we know you don't like Corbyn,but your remark that your parents don't like the look of him is pretty silly.The sort of thing that kids might come out with in the playground.
Maybe my parents do like the look of him?Maybe add an aunt or uncle or lollipop lady to the mix.
Corbyn won fair and square,he has also cost the bookies millions.
Labour have a new leader and deputy,it's high bloody time that labour members stop whining and start supporting.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I assume they will vote Tory as that is really the only way to vote against the party he leads!

If they are prepared to act so childishly by voting Conservative then I am not sure we would want their votes? I thought the idea was you voted for parties whose policies you believe in - so they prefer the absolute destruction of public service in this country over someone who may be wrong but at least whose intentions are more honourable

A pretty weak argument
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Episode (clause) IV: A new hope. :P

I didn't vote for Corbyn (he was my second preference) but I'm loving today's result. It's really shaken some folk up and that is to be welcomed. 8-)

As for those who have gone off to sulk - well go and good riddance. They are not players they are egotists. They are now the putrid past.

We need solidarity and co-operation within the Labour Party. All members and supporters have a responsibility to play their part. From today Labour is no longer Tory-lite. :rock:

PS: Did anyone see Prezza on News24? He was good.
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Oh, and I have just read the bit about the 'swing voters' on Sparrow's blog

If these are their views then it just shows what twats these type of voters are and any attempt to follow their lead will lead us to an American two right-wing party system that should go against all our values

We need to go after the currently disenfranchised and try to get them to vote for their own benefit not those of the richest

This is, unfortunately, one of the legacies of Blair
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

Group hug
ScreenShot00776.jpg
ScreenShot00776.jpg (82.07 KiB) Viewed 6358 times
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From LDV on the Corbyn win ... http://www.libdemvoice.org/sal-brinton- ... l#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Corbyn style of politics may generate a lot of noise but only one thing keeps Government in check – credible opposition.

As Labour abdicates its responsibilities, the Liberal Democrats will offer the serious, responsible and economically-literate alternative this country badly needs.

We will find common cause with the millions of people who do not support this Government and need a party to represent them.”
There's that line again. But they've spent the last 5 years telling us only they in coalition could keep the govt in check ..... etc etc etc.

The comments btl are not exactly supportive of these statements. Interestingly.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:From LDV on the Corbyn win ... http://www.libdemvoice.org/sal-brinton- ... l#comments" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The comments btl are not exactly supportive of these statements. Interestingly.
Apart from Simon Shaw of course, oh and the serial fantasist paul barker
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Tom Watson @tom-watson.com

Dear D

I won the deputy leadership and now I have to live up to your expectations.
It’s a daunting challenge but I'm determined to put in place the changes we need to win.
If you voted for me, thank you for your trust. If you didn’t, thank you for the trust you put in Labour. This great party of ours is going to change the world again.

These leadership elections were a signal that business as usual isn't working. The way we do politics has to change.

We’ve got to put members at the centre of our party and the aspirations of ordinary people at the centre of our programme. With the Tories reinvigorated, Labour is the last line of defence for the millions who suffer at their hands.

I said I'd overhaul our party organisation and launch a revolution in our digital campaigning. That work starts this afternoon.

I promised to back our new leader 100% - I plan to do exactly that, and I ask you to do the same. Only through unity can we find the strength we need to fight the Tories.

Please stay with me on this journey. If you would like to share your ideas, receive updates on party reform, the digital revolution and be kept in touch with a growing number of community campaigners and organisers, then sign up below. I will only send you the occasional email and promise your private information will not be shared.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

howsillyofme1 wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:

I assume they will vote Tory as that is really the only way to vote against the party he leads!

If they are prepared to act so childishly by voting Conservative then I am not sure we would want their votes? I thought the idea was you voted for parties whose policies you believe in - so they prefer the absolute destruction of public service in this country over someone who may be wrong but at least whose intentions are more honourable

A pretty weak argument
They're much more Tory than Labour, but not Tory enough to vote always.

They might do now, I don't know. Just seems to me nobody's considered this happening.