Monday 14th September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Monday 14th September 2015

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

David Miliband wisely kept out of the fray when asked by Sara Montague to give the BBC an anti-Corbyn headline just now. She wanted to know if he will be back to save us all. :roll:
He's focusing on the refugee issue at the moment.

If it rains in the next few days I'll have time on my hands.
No gardening and can't do sewing because of the kitten.
So I'll be able to email the right wingers, sorry moderates and let them know what I, a mere rank and file member, thinks about their stance to the media.

If Dan/Paul don't mind is it ok if I start a thread where people can post names of all the MP 'anti-Corbyn' resistance and those helping the right wing media?
Then there's a working list of MPs to contact.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Re: Monday 14th September 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

Good morning.

On my best behaviour today, so shall join the Labour party now... cash flow. Btw I'm unfamiliar with many of the parliamentarians being mentioned for the SC. Time I learned...

Bloody hell I still can't help myself, throwing in yet another play on words.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

G'day!
OIRFG is, this morning, visiting a refugee camp in the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon. Is it wicked of me that my first thought was, "to pick out his first selection of refugee children and families, preferably photogenic ones"? And he's going to appoint a special 'representative'"...specific Minister for >Syrian< Refugees." Corbyn effectively appointed one first, in Yvette Cooper. Dave playing catch-up, again.

He's also playing 'not-quite-catch-up' with his announcement of cancer diagnoses within 28 days by 2020. Labour Manifesto 2015 said:
We will guarantee that patients wait no longer than one week for vital cancer tests and results by 2020.
@yahyah: Hope the rain holds off enough for you to get out into the garden - and perhaps the kitten might fall asleep for long enough that you can do some sewing :D

Edit to correct Cameron quote." and to add: He has met a large Syrian refugee family who have already been offered resettlement in the UK, according to Sky News...
Last edited by LadyCentauria on Mon 14 Sep, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

That's why I often use emoticons UP.
It helps show when you mean something, are being jokey, etc.

Sorry to see HA & you had an encounter, like you both and wouldn't like to see you falling out.
Also, may I say that you both sharing very personal stuff about losing your partners has helped me talk to mine about 'what to do if/when'. So, thank you.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Charles Clarke....on Radio 4 in a minute.

He'll be on my list.
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 14 Sep, 2015 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

& Kuessenberg makes you wish for Nick Robinson back.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Clarke is talking about the 'moderates' working out their own economic plan as an alternative to present to that of the elected leader and his shadow chancellor.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning.

What a wonderful start to the day ... listening to Charles Clarke telling Humphrys that Labour MPs will now start to develop an alternative economic policy and plan in response to Corbyn choosing John McDonnell because they'll have no confidence in him. Thank you so much for that.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Just to counter all the flak ... here's an excerpt from the New Statesman's blog on the new Shadow Cabinet.
It's worth noting that there are currently just two Corbyn supporters in the shadow cabinet: McDonnell (shadow chancellor) and Abbott (shadow international development). This is not the hard-left team that some feared. Jon Trickett, currently shadow minister without portfolio and a former senior adviser to Ed Miliband, is one other Corbyn supporter likely to be brought in.

00:35 GE: By way of compensation for the absence of women at Labour's top table, Angela Eagle has been appointed Shadow First Secretary of State. The new shadow business secretary, who missed out on the shadow chancellorship, will deputise for Corbyn at PMQs when David Cameron is not present, facing George Osborne.
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk ... ow-cabinet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning.

What a wonderful start to the day ... listening to Charles Clarke telling Humphrys that Labour MPs will now start to develop an alternative economic policy and plan in response to Corbyn choosing John McDonnell because they'll have no confidence in him. Thank you so much for that.

Unbelievable.

I'm up to page 48 of Shaw's book, and back in the day, when they wanted to stamp on the left they threatened to expel them for having 'a party within a party', i.e. things like the Bevanite Tribune Brains Trust.

Surely what Clarke is nudging for is just that ?
Continuity New Labour, sod democracy, sod members vote.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 34m34 minutes ago
News lifted on David Cameron's visit to Syrian refugees in Lebanon http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-09- ... n-lebanon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 34m34 minutes ago
BBC colleague reports @David_Cameron met a family who are due to be flown to the UK to settle soon
PR Dave in action. Sorry to be so cynical but really ... after 'swarms' I don't believe this half turnaround has much authenticity about it.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

The wikipedia page, "Official Opposition Shadow Cabinet (United Kingdom)" has been moved and put to 'only auto-authorised editors' after rumours were posted and vandalism was reported, last night. The 'appointments' of Owen Smith and Gloria De Piero was based on a rumour. Diane Abbott is Shadow Secretary of State for International Development, not Communities and Local Government, so the latter plus Work and Pensions, and Defence remain yet to be filled or confirmed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_ ... d_Kingdom)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Chris Ship ‏@chrisshipitv 34m34 minutes ago
News lifted on David Cameron's visit to Syrian refugees in Lebanon http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-09- ... n-lebanon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …

Robin Brant ‏@robindbrant 34m34 minutes ago
BBC colleague reports @David_Cameron met a family who are due to be flown to the UK to settle soon
PR Dave in action. Sorry to be so cynical but really ... after 'swarms' I don't believe this half turnaround has much authenticity about it.
Me neither. See my earlier post at 8.15.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 3m3 minutes ago
Patrick Wintour retweeted Jon Davis
Important story about Treasury and OBR

Jon Davis
‏@JonDavis73
The Times reports the Treasury tried to meddle with Office for Budget Responsibility’s independent forecasts http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/ ... 555954.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Anyone got The Times handy to tell us more?
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

"so Charles, care to pontificate without any interruption? "
"Don't mind if I do John. Please don't consider how you would respond to someone from the left of the party saying such things about a leader I deemed sensible, electoral mandates or any such thing."
"Wouldn't dream of it Charles. I'll save all my animosity, interruptions and snide for Benn"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all. Forgetting my manners there...

Ah, "security" is the new LongTermEconomicPlan

This is why David Cameron called Jeremy Corbyn a threat to national security

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/da ... yn-6435223
According to Parliamentary records, the phrase Long Term Economic Plan has been uttered 607 times in the House of Commons alone.

And that's not counting the times it's been said on telly - particularly on BBC Question Time, where it became a running joke.

But by the time people started to noticed the parrot-fashion phrase, it'd been repeated so often the message had been absorbed.

And the image of fiscal competence it created around the party helped the Tories secure victory in the 2015 general election.

The phrase was introduced by George Osborne, the Tories' strategy mastermind - and 'security' is his follow up hit.

He first used the phrase during his 2015 budget speech - delivering variations on the word THIRTY times in a little over an hour.

And you're going to hear it an awful lot more over the next five years.
Last edited by RogerOThornhill on Mon 14 Sep, 2015 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

nickyclark ‏@MrsNickyClark 13m13 minutes ago
I feel if anyone has let women down it's the women refusing to serve in a Corbyn cabinet. Not great role models. no one mentioning that.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

norman smithVerified account
‏@BBCNormanS
Jeremy Corbyn will campaign to stay in the EU "under all circumstances" says Hilary Benn @BBCr4today
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

More sense from Wales.
I know Hain hasn't always been well received here but he can't be faulted now.

''Former Welsh Secretary Peter Hain has called for the thousands of people who came to Labour in the leadership contest which saw Jeremy Corbyn sweep to victory to stick with the party as part of a “huge crusade” against the Conservative Government.

The ex-Neath MP, who will shortly enter the House of Lords, was adamant that Mr Corbyn’s majority had to be respected and dismissed speculation about possible splits.

He said: “The fact is, for people like myself who didn’t vote for him, he has got an overwhelming mandate – a huge mandate from party members... and that has to be respected by everybody in the party.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... e-10044524" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'We now need to move forward'
"We now need to move forward together and to work together for a Labour victory next time because what is being done to Britain – not just the poor and the disabled of Britain but also [to] our economy – is extremely destructive by this Tory Government and we need a Labour party that is united and strong.”

:clap:
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 14 Sep, 2015 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

More sense from Wales:

''Surge in activists is 'absolutely brilliant' for Labour as party prepares for Assembly battle, says
Cardiff Central MP.
Jo Stevens says people will like what they hear coming from the Labour party under Jeremy Corbyn''

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... r-10044994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Better discussion on approaches to economics on Today - woman, Kate Pickett from York University, is a very good spokesperson for an alternative and wider approach to debating the economy, austerity, deficit reduction, poverty and how to create a more equal society. Hope they have her on more often.

Humphrys actually giving both participants a bit of space.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Is it just us, yahyah and LadyC?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe the others have joined the anti-Corbyn resistance ?
More cake for us.

Do you think there is any point emailing those bitter MPs who are causing trouble ?
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

My internet connection is wobbly.
If I disappear it won't be because I've taken umbrage at anyone.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Angela Eagle ‏@angelaeagle 10m10 minutes ago
Very happy to have been appointed Shadow SoS for Business and First Secretary of State.
I wonder if Maria Eagle will be staying at Environment?
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 3m3 minutes ago
Patrick Wintour retweeted Jon Davis
Important story about Treasury and OBR

Jon Davis
‏@JonDavis73
The Times reports the Treasury tried to meddle with Office for Budget Responsibility’s independent forecasts http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/ ... 555954.ece" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Anyone got The Times handy to tell us more?
Shocked I tell you......Shocked!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RobertSnozers wrote:
PS I'd rather spend a month trapped in a room with Grant Shapps than join Continuity New Labour
:lol:

I think that might just become a favourite catchphrase ... the 'I'd rather spend a month trapped in a room with Grant Shapps than' bit. Can see that being applied to many situations.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

Morning,

Seeing some of the newspapers today, it's a bit like listening to "the unbelievable truth" on radio4,
(where contestants try to sneak some true facts into a list of lies)

Not sure if anyone linked to this,
& suppose a bit late in the day,
but relevant to all the drivel being printed at the moment.

A supposed list of ten reasons not to vote for J.C.,

http://www.sott.net/article/300041-Do-N ... le-Reasons
Not everyone though has welcomed Corbyn's advance. One man who has made repeated warnings about the 'dangers' of Jeremy Corbyn is Cyril Waugh-Monger, a 'Very Important' newspaper columnist for the NeoCon Daily, a patron of the Senator Joe McCarthy Appreciation Society and the author of 'Why the Iraq War was a Brilliant Idea', as well as 'The Humanitarian Case for Bombing Syria'.
Below are Mr Waugh-Monger's ten commandments to Labour members to not, under any circumstances, vote for Jeremy Corbyn. Remember, we need to take what he has to say very seriously — as, after all, he did reveal to us that Iraq possessed WMDs [Weapons of Mass Destruction] in 2003.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

@rr2: Lonewolfie posted, and there are plenty more signed - plus we have 48 guests :waves:

@yahyah: ...or still catching up on yesterday's marathon Post Fest. Yes please, I'd love some cake and can offer raspberry jellies (with raspberries in) and grated 76% choc on top. MPs don't have a responsibility to respond to communications unless they're your Constituency MP - but they, or their secretary, might read and inwardly digest. Anne Widdecombe was surprisingly good at responding to people, regardless of where they were from.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Maybe the others have joined the anti-Corbyn resistance ?
More cake for us.

Do you think there is any point emailing those bitter MPs who are causing trouble ?
It may be worthwhile to send a calm, reasoned email setting out why you and so many members chose Corbyn and what you think will be helpful for the party and, hopefully, wider electorate now rather than division and splits. The kind of email that immediately sets it apart from some of the mindless abuse that has been flung around on twitter and other social media.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

yahyah wrote:Charles Clarke....on Radio 4 in a minute.

He'll be on my list.
Only just back in, so thanks, yahyah. As for Charles Clarke wasn't it he who appeared with Ken Livingstone on that HARDtalk show I linked to a few days back? If so, I concur. Btw after I'd commented to JA about not abbreviating her moniker to 'Ja' I later realised with your double-barrelled name that it were more applicable to you. Only joking, please don't change it on my account. Sorry I still don't do emoticons or emojis as they are here, but shall perhaps try to be more clear such as explaining that my later comment to HindleA was about my possibly ill-advised joke and not his earlier confusion.

Finally I very, very rarely back down if I really am being serious. Call it a loss of face thing if you like, which reminds me...

Some time back, I think it were one of my son's birthday, I popped into the pub where he was having a drink with mates when I exercised my usual cheek to some guy I barely know. My lads swiftly grabbed and steered me away telling me that he was a particularly hard man with a reputation and a bare-knuckle fighter, considerably larger than me too.

"Not to worry" says I, "we've met before and I was similarly abrupt that time". I'd overheard him talking about one of his fights and as is typical with me, I'd interjected with a pithy punch line. He loves it and if I'm not mistaken appreciates the nerve... and so it was.

That's enough for today; I shall remain shtum. Sorry if I offend any Jews out there. :roll:
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

@LadyCentauria

Permission to resume my normal effrontery toward Fat Dave. Later maybe.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The latest from Sparrow politics blog ...
Jeremy Corbyn's shadow cabinet appointments

Here are the shadow cabinet appointments we’ve had from Jeremy Corbyn.

I will be updating this last as more names come in.

All these appointments have been formally announced by the Labour party, apart from Chris Bryant’s (which he has confirmed on Twitter) and Vernon Coaker’s (which has been confirmed by the BBC).

Shadow chancellor - John McDonnell

Shadow home secretary - Andy Burnham

Shadow foreign secretary - Hilary Benn

Shadow business secretary, and shadow first secretary of state (deputising for Corbyn at PMQs when Corbyn not present)- Angela Eagle

Chief whip - Rosie Winterton

Shadow health secretary - Heidi Alexander

Shadow justice secretary - Lord Falconer

Shadow leader of the Commons - Chris Bryant

Shadow international development secretary - Diane Abbott

Shadow chief secretary to the Treasury - Seema Malhotra

Shadow Northern Ireland secretary - Vernon Coaker

In addition, Yvette Cooper, the former shadow home secretary, will chair Labour’s taskforce on refugees

As LabourList reports on its blog, Michael Dugher is expected to become shadow culture secretary. LabourList says there are also rumours about Owen Smith becoming shadow work and pensions secretary, and Gloria De Piero becoming shadow defence secretary.
I thought Gloria De Piero's appointment to Defence had been ruled out as a mistake / mischievous entry on wiki (think I got that from the New Statesman)?
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning.

Yeah, not what I'd have expected following his appearance with Ken, rr2.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Emily Ashton ‏@elashton 6m6 minutes ago
Tories waste no time in releasing attack ad: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Chuka Umunna ‏@ChukaUmunna 3m3 minutes ago
"Treasury sought to meddle with OBR forecasts" -after all of Osborne's hyperbole on independence HMT tried to tamper
He's referring to that Times story ...
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

yahyah wrote:Clarke is talking about the 'moderates' working out their own economic plan as an alternative to present to that of the elected leader and his shadow chancellor.
Evenimorntinoon all...

Yep - I heard that too - that'll be ex-Cambridge, ex-MP and ex-Blairchum Charles Clarke - for once though, I found that, rather than shouting swearily at the radio, I was remarkably calm...it's a very very odd feeling....as now, when I think of the Shadow Chancellor, I think of a Trades Unionist.....who is anti-austerity, has backed the WowPetition since it's inception and, instead of voting for the 'party line' and playing into the hands of Gidiot the Clown, would rather swim through vomit (immediate apologies to those breakfasting)...yes indeed - very odd.

I caught an interesting exchange between Rent-a-fool and Danny the Fink (on Twitter) earlier -
npd1290.GIF
npd1290.GIF (31.94 KiB) Viewed 9659 times
`
....which I believe(TM) is the Corbyn strong point - those reared on a constant diet of 'Nanny says all the nasty lefties have gone away so we don't even need to think about the alternative' have absolutely no idea (or ability to cognitively understand) what they (the Opposition) are going to say - I don't put Gidiot in that category - I think he does understand a great deal about what is actually economically the 'right' thing to do for everyone, but chooses to ignore it - his empty-headed acolytes, however.....oh dear.....oh dear oh dear :lol:

On the subject of lists, here's one for 10 reasons why Rebukekakakakaka 'is not a fit manager for any company'...

https://www.byline.com/column/35/article/377

...I'm getting the feeling that the headless chickens are coming home to roost (I love the smell of a mixed metaphor in the morning :D )

...and crikey - literally swarms of people queuing at the gates of Hope (just north of Peterborough) - I blame Corbyn (and Tom Watson)...
npd1430.GIF
npd1430.GIF (10.76 KiB) Viewed 9659 times
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

John Mann ‏@JohnMannMP 3m3 minutes ago
John Mann retweeted PoliticsHome
Sorry Simon, on your own, mood is to give Jeremy space and time, whilst actively engaging in all policy discussions

PoliticsHomeVerified account ‏@politicshome
Simon Danczuk: Growing appetite among Labour MPs to change course if new leader fails: http://polho.me/1NyDAR6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (£)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Is it just us, yahyah and LadyC?
I'm here - but I'm thinking, ruminating, cogitating and all that stuff.

Good morfternoon, everyone.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

What may be my final post today. Shush, calm down will you?

Should I not thank many that I ordinarily would it's merely because of my connection. I must have upset somebody, Fat Dave possibly. Cheers, I shall read what I can.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

LadyCentauria wrote:G'day!
OIRFG is, this morning, visiting a refugee camp in the Bekaa Valley in Lebanon. Is it wicked of me that my first thought was, "to pick out his first selection of refugee children and families, preferably photogenic ones"? And he's going to appoint a special 'representative'"...specific Minister for >Syrian< Refugees." Corbyn effectively appointed one first, in Yvette Cooper. Dave playing catch-up, again.

He's also playing 'not-quite-catch-up' with his announcement of cancer diagnoses within 28 days by 2020. Labour Manifesto 2015 said:
We will guarantee that patients wait no longer than one week for vital cancer tests and results by 2020.
@yahyah: Hope the rain holds off enough for you to get out into the garden - and perhaps the kitten might fall asleep for long enough that you can do some sewing :D

Edit to correct Cameron quote." and to add: He has met a large Syrian refugee family who have already been offered resettlement in the UK, according to Sky News...
As I said the other day, he's on the look-out for 17 year olds who can be sent home when they turn 18, and a handful of photogenic babies and toddlers. I thought he'd send a talent scout rather than turn up himself, though.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

utopiandreams wrote:@LadyCentauria

Permission to resume my normal effrontery toward Fat Dave. Later maybe.
Granted. Carry on.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Morning all.
Must say that I am ashamed of the behaviour of many labour mps at the moment.They are being incredibly disrespectful of all the people who voted in the leadership elections.What possible good do they think can arise from working against their new party leader in this immediate and very public manner.
As for the mps refusing to join Corbyns shadow cabinet,well,it seemed that for most of the last 5 years Ed was on his own anyway.Few of them did much to support him or speak out for Labour anyway.Time for a change then.They are neither serving the party or the people who voted for them.
No doubt there will be much ranting here and elsewhere from anti Corbyn members who disagree with everything he does.Or does not.All great news for the tories really.Lets all fight ourselves and denigrate the new elected leader before he has even got his feet under the table.
Glad you have a kitten YahYah,how sweet they are.I suppose you don't feel like swapping him or her for an incredibly muddy gsd do you?
My son graduated this summer,took a part time job in a bar for a few weeks and starts his first proper full time job today with O2.Seeing as he spent the last few years in the uni bar/studying,he needed to buy a whole new work wardrobe,and it takes nearly two hours to travel to work.Pay isn't great either.Doing all this cheerfully and sensibly,I'm very proud of him.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Emily Ashton ‏@elashton 6m6 minutes ago
Tories waste no time in releasing attack ad: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
No surprise that "comments are disabled for this video."
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Hello Rebecca,

Delighted for your son re his job and his cheerful can do attitude. Hope it goes well for him. I think I just about managed 2 hour journeys to and from work when I was young! Did a lot of reading on trains and tubes.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

OK,having had a busy weekend with time to lurk but not contribute I will inflict my considered thoughts upon you all.

Firstly, really pleased with the result and the conclusive nature of same. Pleasantly surprised that Stella Creasey did so well although, if I hear correctly,disappointed that she has decided to stay on the backbenches.

On the make up of the shadow cabinet so far actually very pleased. With the possible exception of McDonnell (I would have preferred Eagle) there are some inspired choices. Benn potential to be excellent at Foreign and Burnham will confound a few people at Home. Chris Bryant leader of the house will be great. As to the number of women lets see how it all pans out. Its clear that Corbyn is thinking differently about roles and responsibilities and will spring a few surprises on to our tired, predictable media.

So on to the media. Did anyone really expect the Westminster bubble (Yes I know I sound like Andy Burnham but it does exist) to welcome a Corbyn victory with anything other than disdain. They are nothing if not predictable.

I think the one thing that has given be most pleasure (politically) this weekend is the discomfiture shown by the press at the nature of the result and the reaction to it.It was so overwhelming that the proposed narrative of a weak leader, only elected by the unions and a few left wing nut jobs had no validity. We saw Eleanor Mills (Sunday Times) on a BBC press review jumping around like a demented rabbit telling all and sundry that we will return to having dog shit (her words) through letter boxes and bullying in the streets. Janet Daly on Dateline London, once again a fact free zone, telling us it all means nothing as its all down to adolescent angst. Well I will tell you Janet this adolescent 67 year old is more confident about the left than for many years (although I had a lot of time for Ed) and his next job today is to join the Labour Party.

Its clear that apart from a few of the publicity mad clan whoring themselves around the TV studios that the old nudge,nudge,wink,wink relationship between Labour and the press is now over. They (the press) got it wrong on Scotland, they got it wrong in May and they have got it wrong now. What is the point in trying to cultivate them when they are only looking to shaft you! Let them stew in their own juice.

Finally, you will be pleased to hear, on the subject of those people in the Labour Party who are already talking about opposing the democratically elected leadership. I do not want anyone to leave but they must go away and have a good, long think about what they stand for. They have been rejected by the country and now they have been rejected by the majority of their party. Please fight your corner as hard as you can within the tent but always remember the loyalty you demanded when in your ascendency also applies now. It will be a measure of your character and maturity as to how you react.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Hello Rebecca,

Delighted for your son re his job and his cheerful can do attitude. Hope it goes well for him. I think I just about managed 2 hour journeys to and from work when I was young! Did a lot of reading on trains and tubes.
I did too.Think this generation,son certainly,are more likely to be plugged into something electronic.
I offered to sub him some of the money for clothes,waiting for the grand total.Am glad he went nowhere near a jobcentre.
Thanks for your kind wishes for him.I'm trying to stop worrying about him,sure he will be ok.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Good morning. :D

To my mind it doesn't matter what anyone says or does at the moment. It's only to be expected that dummies will be flying across rooms. It's early days and the new proper Party of opposition (for that's what it is) has to bed down and show what it is capable of.

In a few months time the opinion polls and local elections will give an idea of what the electorate think and that will be when serious discussions may or may not be needed.

At the moment I'm enjoying the spectacle of "senior Labour people" running from studio to studio to newspaper screaming "the end is nigh!"

They are looking like spoilt ignorant privileged fools.
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Have to say I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Ed Miliband's house right now. I bet they're having some very interesting discussions.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sophy Ridge ‏@SophyRidgeSky 5m5 minutes ago
Frank Field: "I just think the Labour Party desperately needs to look more like the country it claims to represent"

Sophy Ridge ‏@SophyRidgeSky 2m2 minutes ago
Labour MP Frank Field says that last time the party was offering "a very thin Blairite gruel"
See this is the conflict I have about Frank Field. Some of what he says is pretty sensible ... and then he goes and spoils it all with ...