Monday 28th September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Monday 28th September 2015

Post by utopiandreams »

Good morning.

I see Dave still expects us to believe his porkies. He'll be calling himself François Antoine next and claiming he killed the Beast of Gévaudan.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Re: Monday 28th September 2015

Post by tinybgoat »

utopiandreams wrote:Good morning.

I see Dave still expects us to believe his porkies. He'll be calling himself François Antoine next and claiming he killed the Beast of Gévaudan.
Good Morning,

Presuming this is a reference to his supposed denial of pig accusation:-

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... e-dead-pig
Asked about his feelings towards Ashcroft and the pig allegation, Cameron said: “Everyone can see why the book was written and everyone can see straight through it. As for the specific issue raised, a very specific denial was made a week ago and I’ve nothing to add to that.
Surely, that's either very careless or very careful wording,
and possibly doesn't amount to a denial at all, at least not by him?

(Edited to remove spurious spaces & add gd.morn)
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

tinybgoat wrote:

Good Morning,

Asked about his feelings towards Ashcroft and the pig allegation, Cameron said: “Everyone can see why the book was written and everyone can see straight through it. As for the specific issue raised, a very specific denial was made a week ago and I’ve nothing to add to that.

Good morning all.
So why doesn't he sue Ashcroft?
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Morning all.

That 'tax raid on the middle classes' designed to get the blood boiling of all Mail and Telegraph readers seems to be limited to returning the top rate to 50p and to cancel the inheritance tax rises (which only affected 4% of all estates anyway).

I wonder if they think "Well, I;m not on £150k but I guess the rest of the middle class are"?

And I wonder if they recall that it was only in 1988/89 that the rate went below 60p...they'd have heart failure if anyone suggested that these day.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

LadyCentauria wrote: Well, that was well worth getting warmly wrapped up and going to sit/stand around, at the end of the square, in the cold cold air. The skies were crystal clear to give us, even here in leafy South-West London, a host of brilliant stars, nebulae, planets, and galaxies, along with that stunning moon at perigee, slowly turning from gleaming silver- and titanium-white through shades of gold, rose, ochre-red, to claret and burgundy. There were five of us out, and only we five - myself, my great friend from opposite, and her three teenaged sons - watching, and wondering, and quietly talking, and sharing silences, and teasing, and extra blankets, and my binoculars; and, as the eclipse slid into totality, making our silent secret wishes and simply staring at the wonder.

Then back to our homes to the thick, rich, vegetable soups we'd left simmering gently on our hobs - and knowing that we'd shared those moments with friends in other places (one of mine is in Kielder for the event, lucky man) and with millions of strangers, friends we've not yet met, around the world. A good way to share silly o'clock...

So, to all of you - my friends here - :zen: :heart: :hug:
We were less adventurous & watched out of the attic window,
Couldn't see anyone else watching,
But were made aware of a fox, by it's barking,
Don't know if this was at moon or looking for other foxes, but it stayed around for 15 minutes.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

Re: Red Moon

I got up at 3.30am, walked outside, and it was thick fog! :evil: Couldn't see a thing in any direction. :(

Yorkshire! I hate it and everyone in it.
Isn't that right Dave? You (alleged) necroporcine chicken choker.

Good morning. :D
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

McDonnell did well on Radio 4.
Sarah Montague tried her best to trap him into a negative headline and he seemed to avoid it.
He also showed some humour.

The media are going to have to change their lazy ways.

Montague spent most of the time using the approach that Corbyn & McDonnell want to Stalinise the Labour party.
Journos seem to find it difficult to understand the notion of consultation and want the Trot Twins (as they see them) to be dictatorial, then get fazed when they aren't.

Her constant harping back to 'you said this ten years ago, you said that five years ago' also means no emphasis on the here and now, which is surely what is important.

(Am sure I read somewhere about Montague's landed gentry husband being a good pal of Osborne.
Can't seem to find it now when searching online)
Last edited by yahyah on Mon 28 Sep, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

tinybgoat wrote:... Presuming this is a reference to his supposed denial of pig accusation:-

Yes indeed, tiny, with the additional proviso that he acknowledges we all take him for a liar. My cryptic reference to crying wolf was supposed to indicate Cameron's desire that he be given the benefit of doubt, hence my choice of an equally credible claim.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Swarthlander wrote:Re: Red Moon

I got up at 3.30am, walked outside, and it was thick fog! :evil: Couldn't see a thing in any direction. :(

Yorkshire! I hate it and everyone in it.
Isn't that right Dave? You (alleged) necroporcine chicken choker.

Good morning. :D

Morning Swarthlander.
The joys of being in Yorkshire eh ?

Saw the moon eclipse like a crescent here, it was dramatic, but the actual blood moon part later was a bit of a let down.
It looked more dirty brown than red.
Our neighbour was out in the lane and gave us a tutorial in star gazing and finding gas formations and things like that, which are visible even with binoculars. So that was fun, if cold.

Lady Centauria seems to have had a more spectacular colour range, may be to do with the atmosphere/pollution around London ? Think that can affect winter sunset sky colours so may have an effect ?

Por Favor, I hope I get a brownie point for my correct usuage of affect and effect :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just checked Radio 4 Today's twitter account.

They obviously didn't manage to get a really controversial headline out of McDonnell's interview, unless they want us to think a chat means imprisonment in a gulag.

BBC Radio 4 Today ‏@BBCr4today 46m46 minutes ago
"We are going to have a chat" with Mark Carney- @johnmcdonnellMP, as criticises BoE gov'nr missing inflation targets
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Michael Rosen ‏@MichaelRosenYes 5m5 minutes ago
John McDonnell has decoupled deficit talk from austerity talk. Osborne had linked them as inseparable and media bought it.

Sun stooge deliberately misreports what was said:
Tom Newton DunnVerified account ‏@tnewtondunn 56m56 minutes ago
John McDonnell's nice guy charm offensive wobbles a bit when he seemed to encourage protestors to superglue themselves to the PM #r4today
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

danesclose wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:

Good Morning,

Good morning all.
https://www.thrillist.com/culture/ways- ... pot-a-liar
Liars are also more likely to come up with a very specific denial in a situation, whereas a truth teller has no trouble with categorical denials, i.e., "I've never cheated on anyone in my whole life."
:)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Maybe that's why he is unlikely to go to court over it.
Doesn't want to risk other incidents/rituals/bad behaviour coming out.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Cif, today, is not infested with the SNP/ultra's shrieking about Corbyn's 'betrayal' over Trident.

Instead it is full of twits who do not understand where Marx stands in terms of his work on capitalism.

Oh lord, give me strength.

Thank goodness it is sunny again so I can garden today.
The internet, and exposure to idiots on Cif, is enough to make one think democracy may not be a good thing.
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

tinybgoat wrote:
danesclose wrote:
tinybgoat wrote: Good Morning,

Good morning all.
https://www.thrillist.com/culture/ways- ... pot-a-liar
Liars are also more likely to come up with a very specific denial in a situation, whereas a truth teller has no trouble with categorical denials, i.e., "I've never cheated on anyone in my whole life."
:)
Umm...was it? The day I caught the 'unews', they were saying Clouncy wasn't going to 'dignify' it with a comment - did he/they make a statement of denial then?

Serious shiny squirrelism though - everyone focusing on the pocine misadventures, whilst I'd like to know when the Pig Molesters party was, that had 'many people openly taking cocaine' - a banned Class A substance, that can lead to serious consequences if caught by the boys in blue - if it was witnessed at a party with Clouncy and HamShamCam, surely the Security Services were there too? So do the Pig Molester and the Security Services now condone (or at the very least, turn a blind eye) to law-breaking on that scale?

That'll be a serving PM witnessing cocaine usage whilst leading a 'Government' that is 'really really serious about the WAR ON DRUGS' ('cos our US/Bankster handlers told us we should be)...as ever, the 'law' only applies to 'the lower orders' :line: :whip:

...and a Chancer (sp?) who takes cocaine and uses prostitutes to act out fantasies of 'being a dog', whilst pretending to be able to count :line: :whip: :whip:

....but but Corbyn is a serious risk to security :o
Proud to be 1 of the 76% - Solidarity...because PODEMOS
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

It's a bit like the time I heard Clouncy being interviewed by that really nice @jeremyvine before the election....when Murkydochia and the MSM had decided that Mr Ed wouldn't serve the full term (to 2020)....and Clouncy gave a categorical and indisputable statement along the lines of 'no ifs, no buts - I promise you I will serve the full term if elected, as my people want me to' (not verbatim, natch) - yet I find that, apparently, that isn't the position and, indeed, has never been the position....I'm shocked, I tell you!
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

tinybgoat wrote:

Good Morning,

The wording used by Number 10 was that they "do not recognise the account" - a classic non-denial denial.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I see it's going to be a day of having to avoid accounts of what

Caroline Flint said (I try to anyway tbh)
Andy Burnham said (he's come out as a Blairite now the leadership contest is over apparently)
and
the 'senior women in Labour' said (that's how Allegra Stratton just described Harman and co on Radio 4 - apparently it's still dreadful that Corbyn hasn't put women into the 'top' jobs).

Morning!
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sharon Hodgson MP ‏@SharonHodgsonMP 2m2 minutes ago
Lovely to meet some of the ~150,000 new members who've joined @UKLabour since #GE2015 at #Lab15
She's got that figure wrong, hasn't she?
Lonewolfie
Lord Chancellor

Post by Lonewolfie »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
tinybgoat wrote:

Good Morning,

The wording used by Number 10 was that they "do not recognise the account" - a classic non-denial denial.
There seems to have been an awful lot of the 'I/we don't recognise that' lately....is this an escalation from 'I/we don't accept that'?...in that they don't accept that they don't recognise something....or do they recognise they don't accept it....or they accept they don't recognise it....anyhow, it's clear (to me at least) that Clouncy, his poodle and the rest of the (intellectual) Miniatures for Murkydochia can't see the herd of elephants in the room...and if Rebukakakaka has been rebuked, I not convinced Uncle Rupert will take kindly to being ignored.

ttfn
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Press Association ‏@PA 14m14 minutes ago
#Breaking Iron and steelmaking at the Redcar steel plant is to be mothballed, with the loss of up to 1,700 jobs, sources tell PA
'Mothballed' - moved on from 'paused'. Why don't they just say 'closed' or 'shut down'?

Northern powerhouse seems to be one step forwards - one, possibly two, backwards.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I'd like to say that 'I do not recognise' David Cameron as Prime Minister - I'd really like to say that.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.

And - I give in. Who's François Antoine, please? I've looked him up but can't spot the link to the subject matter under discussion.
StephenDolan
First Secretary of State

Post by StephenDolan »

Morning all.

Is it possible Cameron would have studied Marx's economic theories as part of his PPE?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Redcar steelworks to be "mothballed" with the loss of getting on for 2,000 jobs (BBC News).

I'd have thought we'd be needing a few bits of steel what with this HS2 and northern powerhouse stuff?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ rebeccariots2

Whoops! Sorry for the repeat. I'll try to keep up . . .
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Sharon Hodgson MP ‏@SharonHodgsonMP 2m2 minutes ago
Lovely to meet some of the ~150,000 new members who've joined @UKLabour since #GE2015 at #Lab15
She's got that figure wrong, hasn't she?
It is roughly correct, "full" membership only topped 200k during the election campaign itself. It has now passed the 350k mark and is still growing.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Press Association ‏@PA 14m14 minutes ago
#Breaking Iron and steelmaking at the Redcar steel plant is to be mothballed, with the loss of up to 1,700 jobs, sources tell PA
'Mothballed' - moved on from 'paused'. Why don't they just say 'closed' or 'shut down'?
It's to give the faint hope that it could be re-opened. The furnaces and other vital equipment will be maintained, for now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Well this is cosy...

So...unelected RSC sets up new board to advise on free schools...which just so happens to be everybody's favourite Tory charity.

Any sign of any local involvement?

Nope.

Coulson used to be the Director of Education at Essex CC - he seems to have morphed seamlessly into the new world of education i.e. saw what was going to happen to his job and moved across.

Great that we have a school-led system and teachers in charge eh?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

PorFavor wrote:@ rebeccariots2

Are you sitting at the back PF? I'd have had you down as a front row person ... all the better for picking up those pesky grammatical glitches.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

PorFavor wrote:Redcar steelworks to be "mothballed" with the loss of getting on for 2,000 jobs (BBC News).

I'd have thought we'd be needing a few bits of steel what with this HS2 and northern powerhouse stuff?
It will be imported from Asia.

It's all China's fault, it's alleged they sell it to the international market below cost price and therefore destroy any competition. A bit like the Saudis with their low priced oil damaging USA fracking.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
PorFavor wrote:@ rebeccariots2

Are you sitting at the back PF? I'd have had you down as a front row person ... all the better for picking up those pesky grammatical glitches.
Ha! I'm standing to attention, now.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Paul Brand ‏@PaulBrandITV 19m19 minutes ago
Redcar MP @annaturley in tears over SSI news. Huge anger and frustration from her and @TomBlenkinsop over govt's refusal to rescue the plant
Meanwhile Osborne cuddles up to the Chinese and is praised by them for not bringing up human rights.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Anyway, about this François Antoine cove . . . .

(Or am I showing myself up? Should I stop digging?)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Gordon Marsden ‏@GordonMarsden 17s17 seconds ago
#Lab15 Angela Eagle says Government failing to support strategic industries and presiding over a skills emergency and productivity crisis
Glad we've got Angela Eagle in this role now - she'll be a very good challenger to the Osborne nonsense.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

PorFavor wrote:Anyway, about this François Antoine cove . . . .

http://www.artoftheprint.com/artistpage ... embers.htm

I had a look but got lost, has pigs & politicians though!
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

tinybgoat wrote:
PorFavor wrote:Anyway, about this François Antoine cove . . . .

http://www.artoftheprint.com/artistpage ... embers.htm

I had a look but got lost, has pigs & politicians though!
Thanks. I've tried to access the links but they come up as "Forbidden". My curiosity is even more piqued, now.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

I've noticed something on the new forms that the DfE provide for converting to an academy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... tion-forms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So conversion to become a stand-alone academy is no longer allowed unless you have an arrangement to support another school.

And given that schools can support each other without becoming an academy, why would you even need to convert?

I guess that they're trying to force schools to become or join Multi Academy Trusts without specifically saying so as this would effectively mean that their whole approach of encouraging schools to be 'autonomous' was wrong. Not really a surprise since the Schools Commissioner frank Green said that he wanted academies to join together rather than being stand alone.

The numbers converting to stand-alone academies will be interesting in the next few months.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

One for Roger and Tubby:
http://www.theguardian.com/education/20 ... de-parents
Kate Picket was the woman arguing very well on R4 the other day wasn't she?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

'Afternoon, everyone
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

Good afternoon everyone.
It's a beautiful day here,but sadly can't enjoy it as usual.My gsd was spayed on Thursday,but doesn't believe me.Walks are a miserable affair,stuck on the lead.She popped a couple of stitches on Saturday when she vaulted over the armchair.Oh well.Off to the vets this afternoon,though she might refuse to walk through the door.
Anyway,came here to recommend popping over to AS liveblog to read John McDonnells' speech.Sounded good to me(yeah,of course,IRA sympathiser etc etc etc).
No doubt I shall shortly be told the error of my views.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

StephenDolan wrote:Morning all.

Is it possible Cameron would have studied Marx's economic theories as part of his PPE?
I get the impression The Pig Molester General hasn't retained much at all of what he studied. Too many pot smoking sessions with Delingpole ...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Earlier this month we asked readers to take part in our poll to discover how many of Jeremy Corbyn's policies they agree with. Now see the results.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... g-10146051
Interesting. Check out rent control, education, and nationalising the Railways.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

@PF:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_G%C3%A9vaudan
and:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_de_Beauterne

@Rebecca: I hope your GSD will soon cheer up again - and that she'll deign to visit the vet, today, to have her stitches looked at.

Plus, I can't remember who mentioned it but, yes, I think that the pollution and/or light pollution of the London area might have had an effect on the colours of the 'supermoon.' The colour-changes were sequential, as the shadow of Earth slid across and the surface of the moon appeared to darken, and all seemed darker (muddier, even) to the naked eye than under magnification. Have woken up still delighted that I got to see it - and determined to stick around to see the next one in thirty-three years' time!
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

A wolf in pig's clothing? That's novel.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

JeremyCorbyn4PMVerified account ‏@JeremyCorbyn4PM 55m55 minutes ago
Our @PplsChancellor @johnmcdonnellMP setting out our economic policy, in an absolutely barnstorming speech to #Lab15

ARTIST TAXI DRIVER ‏@chunkymark 52m52 minutes ago
Another World is Possible "Solidarity" @johnmcdonnellMP #lab15 WHAT A SPEECH!!!!!!

I suppose they could both be described as biased !
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

McDonnell's speech text

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/labour-john-mc ... ch-1521527" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

What was the lead headline for his speech on the BBC 1PM news?

Yes you guessed it - "McDonnell insists (always a snide little word, there) that Labour would cut the deficit" :roll:

I haven't seen it yet, but am willing to hazard a wild guess that wasn't the only or even main thing he had to say ;)
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Standing ovation at the end for McDonnell too.

yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Can someone link a video of his speech if they see one please.