Monday 28th September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 28th September 2015

Post by yahyah »

Blimey, someone just posted this on Andrew's blog.

pegidafront 3m ago

IM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE LEFTIE COMMIE BOLSHES BETRAYING OUR COUNTRY AND BLOOD TO CULTURAL MARXISM I FEEL LIKE A FOREIGNER IN MY COUNTRY AT TIMES WITH MOSQUES EVERYWHERE SOON THEY'RE WILL BE MORE THAN CHURCHES EUROPE IS SUPERIROR CULTURALLY AND I WILL NEVER APOLOGISE TO THESE REPUBLICAN LEFTY SCUM CHRISTIAN HATERS AND WHITE PEOPLE EUROPEAN HATERS FUCK YOU ALL AND I WILL NEVER APOLOGISE FOR THE GREATNESS OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE THE GREATEST IN WORLD HISTORY WHICH DOMINATED RIGHTLY INFERIOR AND UTTERLY BACKWARD PEOPLES WHICH DESERVED EUROPEAN WESTERN CIVILISATION IS THE GREATEST THAT EVER EXISTED SO IT IS IN THE RIGHT TO CONQUER AND SMASH OTHER INFERIOR ONES ANDD THE WORLD IS WESTERNISED TODAY SO IM PROUD OF THAT SO FUCK YOU COMPLAINING ABOUT IMPERIALISM AND COLONIALISM YOUR ALL TRAITORS KICK ALL MUSLIMS AND NON WHITES OUT OF EUROPE NEXT AND REFUGEES AND KILL THEM
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

People like that and ISIS are two sides of the same coin - shame they can't mutually wipe each other out.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Took a screengrab of this before it disappeared...which was precisely a minute later.

:lol!:

Ah, beaten to it...worth preserving though.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
Earlier this month we asked readers to take part in our poll to discover how many of Jeremy Corbyn's policies they agree with. Now see the results.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... g-10146051
Interesting. Check out rent control, education, and nationalising the Railways.
Interesting, too, that the poll was negative on the question of 'People's QE' but positive on the creation of a National Infrastructure Bank when the point of PQE is to fund that NIB....
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I find it scary rather than funny tbh.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

MichaelWhite @MichaelWhite
Mature & impressive Labour conference speech by new shadow chancellor, John McDonnell. We cd pick holes in it, but that's true of them all

Patrick Kidd ✔ @patrick_kidd
Quite impressed by John McDonnell's speech. He's no fool. The Tories might have to think about beating him with ideas rather than ridicule.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

Interesting take on one of the MSM's many nonsensical attempts to undermine Corbyn, ie the Kneeling Story. (The supposedly left leaning Guardian is singled out for special mention.)

The blogger Craig Murray, as a former ambassador, is in the unusual position of having some insight into what feelings her Maj herself might have about the matter.
The interesting thing is nobody has actually asked the Queen. I have met the Queen in public many times and in private twice, on both occasions to be thanked for my role in organising State Visits. I had explained I was a republican and Scottish nationalist (in those days small n) and was therefore refusing the offer of a LVO and a CVO respectively. I did not bow, or call her Ma’am. She actually asked me my reason for refusing the honour the first time, and was perfectly pleasant when I explained politely but straight. I received direct from her hands small gifts of an armada dish and a letter rack. I eventually auctioned the letter rack for the Julian Assange Defence Fund.

She showed no umbrage or concern whatsoever that I was a republican – I am sure she meets them all the time – and behaved towards me in an entirely normal fashion, not in any way noting my refusal to obey the court protocol. I personally witnessed a proposed honour to another person being downgraded because “the Palace” did not like them, but there was no question of any sanction on me for my republicanism. The proof is that there was never any question mark over my doing the job all again on a second occasion, either from the Queen or from her private secretaries.
All this nonsense about kneeling - and hand kissing (!) - originates with the BBC's utterly dreadful Laura Kuenssberg. Murray describes her as a 'medieval fantasist' for telling JC that he would be required to kiss Mrs Windsor's hand, as it is complete rubbish. I'd call her something a lot worse. Perhaps she genuinely believed hand kissing was a must for joining the PC, in which case she must be a sh*t journalist and incredibly stupid. Or, she knew it was a lie and it was an underhand attempt to bewilder and embarrass Corbyn (she failed), in which case she's still a sh*t journalist, plus a nasty, lying, Tory fan girl, piece of work.

https://bsnews.info/corbyn-kneeling-sto ... invention/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

yahyah wrote:I find it scary rather than funny tbh.
I would find it scary, if I thought it was believed by anyone save a few deeply sad and inadequate individuals.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:Blimey, someone just posted this on Andrew's blog.

pegidafront 3m ago
. . .
Blimey, indeed! (I've cut that person's actual words and imagine/hope they'll be disappearing from the Graun before too long!) Deeply saddening that people can hold such xenophobic and racist views - if they really do and weren't just trolling. :sick:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

From John McDonnell's speech:
We don’t think that destroying industries and then subsidising a low pay economy through the tax system is a good idea.(Politics Live, Guardian)
Andrew Sparrow is of the opinion that John Mc'Donnell's speech wasn't "memorable" - I disagree; and it was certainly delivered in a straightforward way. He often pointed out the bleedin' obvious. But it's bleedin' obvious to me that that needed to be done and must continue to be done. The Conservatives lie with their simplifications of the issues. Perhaps people will sit up and listen when Labour (simply) tells the truth.

Edited after having been rightly chastised for mis-spelling John McDonnell's name!

Edited - again
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 28 Sep, 2015 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Robert Peston lined up for political editor role by ITV
BBC economics editor reported to have been offered position on News at Ten as broadcaster looks to beef up its flagship evening bulletin

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/s ... ole-by-itv" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hmmm. If he jumps ship the ITV news will become a more regular alternative to the Beebs in our house. Laura and co don't really cut it for me.
Working on the wild side.
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

So much for John O'Donnell, PF - what what about John *Mc*Donnell?

Sorry ;)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:So much for John O'Donnell, PF - what what about John *Mc*Donnell?

Sorry ;)
Don't know what came over me there! I know perfectly well what the bloke's name is. Mc dearie me! That was sloppy! I did used to work with a John O'Donnell. That's the only excuse I can think of. Similarly, I used to call James Walsh at the Guardian (back in the old days) John Walsh because I used to work with a bloke of that name.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

The Labour MP Michael Meacher is suggesting that Lord Mandelson should be expelled from the party. He made the case in a post on his blog. (Politics Live, Guardian)
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 39m39 minutes ago
Osborne planning Police cuts of at least 25%. Police chiefs say they pose "considerable risk to national security" > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lions.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Please let every organisation start parroting the Tories' ridiculous messages back at them in this way. We really do need a 'right back at you' movement to get under the skin of this lot ... and maybe the public at large will start getting what is going on instead of being taken in by stupid script repeating.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

PorFavor wrote:From John McDonnell's speech:
We don’t think that destroying industries and then subsidising a low pay economy through the tax system is a good idea.(Politics Live, Guardian)
Andrew Sparrow is of the opinion that John McDonnell's speech wasn't "memorable" - I disagree; and it was certainly delivered in a straightforward way. He often pointed out the bleedin' obvious. But it's bleedin' obvious to me that that needed to be done and must continue to be done. The Conservatives lie with their simplifications of the issues. Perhaps people will sit up and listen when Labour (simply) tells the truth.

Edited after having been rightly chastised for mis-spelling John McDonnell's name!

Edited (again)
I've just noticed that I'd put a totally unnecessary ' in Fred MacNamara's name. It's been removed . . . .

Edited (instead of quoting myself)

Is it bedtime yet?
Last edited by PorFavor on Mon 28 Sep, 2015 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Bumboils. I'm not doing very well today, am I?
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

The Mirror have a transcript of McDonnell's speech:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jo ... ur-6532282" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks pretty barnstorming, impressive and memorable, despite what Mr Sparrow says. I don't set much store by his opinion.
nickyinnorfolk
Minister of State

Post by nickyinnorfolk »

I like that McDonnell has highlighted the SNP's poor record in opposing austerity, in stark contrast to their grandstanding about it.
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:What was the lead headline for his speech on the BBC 1PM news?

Yes you guessed it - "McDonnell insists (always a snide little word, there) that Labour would cut the deficit" :roll:

I haven't seen it yet, but am willing to hazard a wild guess that wasn't the only or even main thing he had to say ;)
And who was the guest on the Daily Politics to give us the benefit of his untold wisdom? Why only the know all, know nothing John McTernan.

Frankly I think he must be related to Dan F Hodges in that if McDonnell had announced the second coming he would have denounced it as a commie plot.

Who do you think will be BBC guest when George Osborne delivers his pearls at the conservative version..........David Cameron or Michael Gove!
ScarletGas
Committee Chair

Post by ScarletGas »

CBI criticises McDonnell speech.

Shocked I tell you Shocked...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LadyCentauria wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
Earlier this month we asked readers to take part in our poll to discover how many of Jeremy Corbyn's policies they agree with. Now see the results.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/readin ... g-10146051
Interesting. Check out rent control, education, and nationalising the Railways.
Interesting, too, that the poll was negative on the question of 'People's QE' but positive on the creation of a National Infrastructure Bank when the point of PQE is to fund that NIB....
I have a feeling most people haven't a clue what quantitive easing is....
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Members of the public are being invited to join a ballot for tickets to attend ceremonies marking the centenary of the Battle of the Somme in France next year.(Guardian)
A ballot? I've read the article - but I'm still unclear. Mind you, I am having a bad day, today.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/s ... ceremonies
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Careful use of senna.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Careful use of senna.
Did you say that to further befuddle me?
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

@ HindleA

Unclear? Senna (careful use thereof)? Is that it?
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Definition of quantitative easing I believe.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
PorFavor wrote:From John McDonnell's speech:
Andrew Sparrow is of the opinion that John McDonnell's speech wasn't "memorable" - I disagree; and it was certainly delivered in a straightforward way. He often pointed out the bleedin' obvious. But it's bleedin' obvious to me that that needed to be done and must continue to be done. The Conservatives lie with their simplifications of the issues. Perhaps people will sit up and listen when Labour (simply) tells the truth.

Edited (again)
I've just noticed that I'd put a totally unnecessary ' in Fred MacNamara's name. It's been removed . . . .

Edited (instead of quoting myself)

Is it bedtime yet?
Yesterday Andrew Sparrow Tweeted that Labour had 'ducked' the Trident issue. I admonished him for it. Said it was a democratic decision...He replied that 'ducked', was a handy journalistic word....And I replied: Tut, tut, tut.

Looks like he's developed a liking for journalistic words.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Mon 28 Sep, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Definition of quantitative easing I believe.
:lol:
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Apologies for any confusion/befuddlement(is that a word?)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

HindleA wrote:Apologies for any confusion/befuddlement(is that a word?)
Yes - but o'fuddlement and mcfuddlement are acceptable alternatives.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Elmerfuddlement?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I won't sue Ashcroft over 'Pig-gate' because I'm too busy running the country, says David Cameron
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -book.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: Of course you are Dave. Of course that's the reason.

I'm just imagining the conversation he might have dad with his lawyers when called upon to say what actually happened in his youth ... give details. Cringeworthy.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

RobertSnozers wrote:
ScarletGas wrote:CBI criticises McDonnell speech.

Shocked I tell you Shocked...
And in other news, a ballot of turkeys reveals a majority against Christmas.
Indeed - the time to worry is when the CBI come out enthusiastically for Labour.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Still can't find a video of McDonnell's speech.
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

yahyah wrote:Still can't find a video of McDonnell's speech.
There is a video of excerpts from the speech in Sparrows blog,but not the whole of it.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Rebecca wrote:
There is a video of excerpts from the speech in Sparrows blog,but not the whole of it.
Thanks Rebecca.
Sorry to hear about your little dog having problems.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

yahyah wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
Thanks Rebecca.
Sorry to hear about your little dog having problems.
This might be it:

[youtube]DXkdMYsxYmk[/youtube]
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Thanks Dan.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Jeremy Corbyn Jumps In To Help Candy Atherton After Wheelchair Gets 'Stuck' On Conference Stage
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/09 ... _hp_ref=uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is such a lovely funny story - and Candy Atherton looks like she's got a great sense of humour.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Gordon Marsden ‏@GordonMarsden 17s17 seconds ago
#Lab15 Angela Eagle says Government failing to support strategic industries and presiding over a skills emergency and productivity crisis
Glad we've got Angela Eagle in this role now - she'll be a very good challenger to the Osborne nonsense.
In every paragraph, Eagle lambastes current Tory government's failures.
Outstanding speech.
I've only posted a segment.
Apologies if it's going over what's been discussed already.
Please do read entire Eagles' speech if you've not seen or heard her.
Speech by Angela Eagle to Labour Party Annual Conference

Angela Eagle MP, Shadow First Secretary of State and Shadow Secretary of State for Business, Innovation and Skills, in a speech to Labour Party Annual Conference in Brighton, said:

[Brief text]

And Conference there is no place in this vision for the divisive and partisan Tory Trade Union Bill.
It is an attack on basic freedoms.
It has no place in modern Britain.
And we will fight to defeat it.

Conference, looking forward, we face an increasingly complex and competitive global environment.
We will only succeed at home and abroad by fostering partnerships between Government, business and employees.
That is why Labour must be pro business and pro worker.
We cannot succeed by tolerating a race to the bottom on wages, skills or job security like this Government does.
To succeed we have to compete in a race to the top.
A race to the top is the only way to achieve economic growth which is socially and environmentally sustainable.

But Conference we have a Secretary of State for Business who describes himself as a small state Thatcherite and refuses to let the phrase 'industrial strategy’ ever cross his lips.
A Secretary of State for Business who recently boasted that he was looking for 40 per cent cuts to his Department ahead of the Chancellors looming, ideologically driven Whitehall cuts.
Perhaps he should concentrate more on the day job and less on his ambitions to be the next right wing Prime Minister.
This Tory ideological obsession with a small state is getting in the way of our national interest and leaving our economy vulnerable.

We need a dynamic industrial strategy.
We need partnerships championed by an active state.
Yet with this Government we see the opposite.
There is a complete failure to support strategic industries and sectors.

Take the steel industry.
As we meet in Brighton the entire British industry is hanging by a thread and yet the Government seems reluctant to act decisively.
Steel forms a vital part of a productive and competitive manufacturing sector.
It is worth £45 billion to our economy.
No other Government in Europe would be so slow to react.
This Government must act now with urgency to safeguard the future of steel making in the UK.
The latest announcement from SSI shows how critical the situation in Redcar is.
Unless the Government acts, 1700 jobs will be lost.
And that Conference is why I urge you to support the emergency resolution this afternoon.

And what about the green economy?
A hi-tech sector that has been growing at 7 per cent a year.
But just last week the Government was lambasted for abandoning this country’s leadership on the green economy putting billions in potential future export earnings at risk.
This Government has slashed support for the solar power sector and onshore wind at the same time as scrapping the green deal.
That makes absolutely no sense.

And if this failure to support strategic industries was not enough, this Tory Government is presiding over a productivity crisis.
It takes us four days in this country to produce the same amount as they produce in 3 days in Germany, France and America, because we aren’t training and equipping our workforce properly.
Productivity is now the worst since records began.
So much for the march of the makers.

This Tory Government is also presiding over a 'skills emergency’ which threatens economic growth.
Success in the 21st century means partnering with business to make the most of all of our talent.
Yet more than two thirds of businesses now need more high-skilled staff.
In construction, manufacturing, science, engineering and technology the skills shortage is at its worst.
So what is the Government’s answer to this challenge?
They’ve cut further education budgets.
They’re failing young people on vocational qualifications.
And they’re dumbing down apprenticeships.
Conference our young people deserve more than this ideologically driven recipe of cuts and neglect.

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1300531 ... rty-annual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:MichaelWhite @MichaelWhite
Mature & impressive Labour conference speech by new shadow chancellor, John McDonnell. We cd pick holes in it, but that's true of them all

Patrick Kidd ✔ @patrick_kidd
Quite impressed by John McDonnell's speech. He's no fool. The Tories might have to think about beating him with ideas rather than ridicule.
I'm happy to read that.
I've not gotten a hold of anything other than Eagles' speech today yet.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So the Tories spent several hours thinking up their response and David Gauke drew the shirt straw to chunder this awful load of guff.
Labour’s tax rises would hurt hardworking people, threatening every family’s security.

And as Mark Carney has said, Labour’s policy to end the Bank of England’s independence and print money would drive up the cost of living.

That’s why Labour are a serious risk to Britain’s economic security.
:toss:

Embarrassing.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

‘I can’t sacrifice my family for the NHS’: the junior doctors forced out of jobs they love
Young doctors are seething with anger over new contracts threatening lower pay, longer hours and increased stress. But do they really have it that bad? Here junior medics on the verge of quitting describe salaries that barely cover the bills – and a workload that means they earn as little as £10 an hour
http://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/ ... -of-health" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Was struck by this personal account setting out what the new contract means in monetary and working terms (and yes, I think it probably is a real person not a DWP PR fake).
Anushka Patchava, 29, a radiologist who qualified in 2011 and has at least two more years as a junior doctor before she graduates to being a consultant, plans to switch careers and is midway through a rigorous interviewing process with two management consultancy firms. She is fed up with the hours and the current pay and is despondent at the prospect of getting a substantial cut to her salary. She earns £31,000, which includes a 40% supplement to her basic salary, to compensate for the antisocial hours she works. Once the new contract is imposed, she thinks she will see this reduced to £27,000 or £28,000 and she expects the hours she works will become even more antisocial. She campaigned for David Cameron in May’s general election, but has subsequently rescinded her membership of the Conservative party in protest at the contract.
Way to go Cameron. But how could she only just have twigged how destructive the Tories are when dealing with the NHS?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

And here's Tory MP - Dr Sarah Woollaston - trying to get Jeremy Hunt to see sense. Her own daughter has left to work in an Australian hospital ...
A fight over doctors’ hours will help no one
The dispute between the NHS and young medics over weekend working needs a new approach

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/nhs/118 ... o-one.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Have just watched McDonnell's speech.

He was very encouraging, very clear.
Listening to him and Corbyn speaking, it's like the adults are back in charge.

Those who argue Corbyn's influence on the Labour party will be malign, that there's no chance for Labour in 2020 may need to update their thinking.

His call for the 'moderates' who took their bats & balls home to return to help the party for the sake of solidarity was moving. Let's hope those words don't fall on stony ground.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

PorFavor wrote:Bumboils. I'm not doing very well today, am I?
You're fine.
You're always fine.
Thank you, PorFavor.

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:So the Tories spent several hours thinking up their response and David Gauke drew the shirt straw to chunder this awful load of guff.
Labour’s tax rises would hurt hardworking people, threatening every family’s security.

And as Mark Carney has said, Labour’s policy to end the Bank of England’s independence and print money would drive up the cost of living.

Embarrassing.
David Gauke?
I bet Carney winced hearing Gauke bring his name up like that.
I know who Carney's friends are but I doubt he wants Gauke using his name for that purpose.

Anyway.
Gauke.
HSBC.
They were made for each other.
I'll never be able to separate the two.

I'm delighted by Gauke's absurd censure of Labour.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I won't sue Ashcroft over 'Pig-gate' because I'm too busy running the country, says David Cameron
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -book.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: Of course you are Dave. Of course that's the reason.

I'm just imagining the conversation he might have dad with his lawyers when called upon to say what actually happened in his youth ... give details. Cringeworthy.
He probably took his jacket off, rolled up his sleeves and said to them: "Now look. In those days I was passionate about pigs"...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

RogerOThornhill wrote:So the Tories spent several hours thinking up their response and David Gauke drew the shirt straw to chunder this awful load of guff.

Embarrassing.
Not embarrassing but deliberate. Security is a key word. Make the population feel fearful. Unsettle and scare them. Generalise it, but keep ramming the word home.

It's an American Republican tactic.