Monday 28th September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 28th September 2015

Post by yahyah »

Don't think anyone's mentioned this.

ITV do a regular Welsh poll.
They are calling it a Corbyn bounce. Fieldwork carried out 21-24th September

Westminster polling
Labour 42% (+5)
Conservative: 26% (-2)
UKIP: 16% (+1)
Plaid Cymru: 10% (-2)
Liberal Democrats: 5% (+1)
Greens: 2% (-1)

Welsh Assembly
Labour: 39% (+4)
Conservatives: 23% (no change)
Plaid Cymru: 18% (-2)
UKIP: 13% (-1)
Liberal Democrats: 6% (+1)

Welsh Assembly Regional List
Labour: 34% (+2)
Conservatives: 24% (+2)
UKIP: 14% (no change)
Liberal Democrats: 5% (no change)
Greens: 4% (no change)
Others: 2% (-1)

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2015-09-2 ... yn-bounce/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
yahyah wrote:I find it scary rather than funny tbh.
I would find it scary, if I thought it was believed by anyone save a few deeply sad and inadequate individuals.
That commentator isn't wise to write publicly of a current desire to kill segments of the population.
It's a cry for help, for attention.
The person needs some professional, compassionate attention.
I hope they receive it.
I understand it's uncomfortable feeling scared about circumstances outside of our control.
It's part of the human condition.
Each generation, every person, must examine fear possibly masquerading as hate with a wise, compassionate elder and get straightened out without shame and no one getting hurt.
Hiking, growing food, providing care to homeless animals, learning to cook from scratch, being trained as a wind turbine installation and maintenance worker or a career in environmental science are just a few ways to help frightened, angry people lose all desire to take the lives of others. Happens all the time, the loss of fear and wholesome endeavours.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

http://blogs.cardiff.ac.uk/electionsinw ... yn-bounce/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Good night all.

Funny times here.
Remember when good poll results would be cheered, and good speeches applauded.
But because it is The Wrong Leader & The Wrong Shadow Chancellor they are virtually ignored.

Well, I for one am pleased to see Labour showing better in Wales.
Whether it is a Corbyn bounce I will leave to the likes of academics like Prof. Scully whose blog I linked above to decide.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hinkley Point C: Plans to spend billions building UK nuclear power station to be investigated by watchdog
A deal that will give the final go-ahead for Hinkley Point C in Somerset is due to be signed by ministers next month

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 69881.html
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:So the Tories spent several hours thinking up their response and David Gauke drew the shirt straw to chunder this awful load of guff.
Labour’s tax rises would hurt hardworking people, threatening every family’s security.

And as Mark Carney has said, Labour’s policy to end the Bank of England’s independence and print money would drive up the cost of living.

That’s why Labour are a serious risk to Britain’s economic security.
:toss:

Embarrassing.
Not embarrassing but deliberate. Security is a key word. Make the population feel fearful. Unsettle and scare them. Generalise it, but keep ramming the word home.

It's an American Republican tactic.
I know the tactic well, Ohso.
Utterly unconscionable.

"Feeling scared? Feeling as though every news headline is a personal attack on your well-being? Relax. You're being subjected to fascist propaganda. The good news is none of the headline news is true. The bad news is those who own the means to disseminate information in those headlines have a lot of money and power and they want you to have none. You'll have to dig a bit more to find out accurate data. It takes more time. Know this: They're more afraid of us regular people than we are of them."

citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:Good night all.

Funny times here.
But because it is The Wrong Leader & The Wrong Shadow Chancellor they are virtually ignored.

Whether it is a Corbyn bounce I will leave to the likes of academics like Prof. Scully whose blog I linked above to decide.
Goodnight, yahyah!
I think Corbyn's leadership is excellent.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Heartening and like the [2 Cons. MPs] Reading poll, plus the huge jump in Labour members, it must show there is approval for much of what Corbyn and his cabinet are wanting to do and how Corbyn is going about it.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Hope SeeingClearly is alright. I don't think she's posted recently.

And I wonder how ErnstRemax is doing? I guess he'd have been having a field day with the new direction Labour is taking.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

So Rebecca. Have you seen the vet yet? Hope the dog hasn't done too much damage to herself.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

5 reasons why John McDonnell is brilliant for Britain - whatever the anti-Corbyn naysayers might say
Jeremy Corbyn was widely mocked for making his friend and fellow rebel MP John McDonnell the shadow chancellor. But in McDonnell's speech today, he proved that Corbyn had made a very shrewd decision indeed - here's why

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/5-r ... 70591.html
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Funny times here.

Ed Miliband enjoyed good polls and gave good conference speeches too. It's not an anti-Corbyn thing, it's a once bitten, twice shy thing. I just can't put much faith in polls anymore. I'm more interested in local election results for now. Any movement in Labour's favour will be cheered by me, you can depend on that.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

From Larry Elliot, the Guardian:
"John McDonnell’s debut party conference speech as Labour’s shadow chancellor was anything but dull.
A bit more mainstream, certainly, than some might have been expecting (or fearing), but not boring.

McDonnell’s economic message was straightforwardly Keynesian. The budget deficit had to be tackled, but in a different way:
through growth rather than austerity, and through higher taxes on the better off rather than spending cuts that affect the poor.
Austerity, he said, was a political choice not an economic necessity."
John McDonnell offers different economic tack without sounding scary
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... -necessity" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm glad you're not frightened, Larry Elliot.
Everyone is going to be fine.
Vote Labour and settle down.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

nickyinnorfolk wrote:I like that McDonnell has highlighted the SNP's poor record in opposing austerity, in stark contrast to their grandstanding about it.
Funny you should mention the holier-than-thou SNP:
A SENIOR Scottish National Party MP who has campaigned against social deprivation built a buy-to-let property portfolio by buying homes at knockdown prices from families struggling to pay their mortgages, a Sunday Times investigation has found.
Michelle Thomson, the SNP’s frontbench business spokeswoman, and her husband Peter Thomson, a private school music teacher, were accused last week of “taking advantage” of vulnerable families. The couple say they have always behaved according to the highest ethical standards.
The Sunday Times has spoken to families who have sold their properties in deals involving the Thomsons. In some cases they claim the purchase prices recorded in the public records are several thousands of pounds higher than the amount they say they were paid for the properties.
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/new ... 609551.ece

Seems the solicitor involved was subsequently struck off.
http://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish- ... 1/TextView

(Apologies for the sources but it doesn't seem to have been widely reported).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Jeremy Corbyn's calls for unity mocked by Labour MPs at private party
Labour members roar with laughter as John Woodcock MP tells story of a seven-year-old girl who predicted the party is "f-----" under Jeremy Corbyn

Mr Woodcock said Labour "must respect" the alternative view that 150,000 new party members do not represent a "sign of hope".
He said: "We must respect the view which was put to me in really pithy terms by a candidate who hadn't been able to win their seat. They had been discussing the ramifications of the leadership result with their children and family. A seven-year-old marched in and said 'la la la, we're f-----'.
John Woodcock MP addresses Progress event alongside Seema Malhotra, the shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, pictured right
John Woodcock MP addresses Progress event alongside Seema Malhotra, the shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury, pictured right
"Now hang on, she's a seven-year-old so I'm not saying I endorse that but her parents were not happy with her swearing. They told her that it wasn't appropriate language and she said 'it's ok mummy, it's in context.
My bold.

Mr Woodcock needs sorting.
For Gods sake. What seven year old says something is 'out of context'?
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Funny times indeed yahyah.

It feels to me like there's suddenly a big political space that's been closed to us for so long we've lost the language we need to navigate it. So there's mainly silence. Only temporarily of course ;-)
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:So Rebecca. Have you seen the vet yet? Hope the dog hasn't done too much damage to herself.
Hi Mrs Ohso,
Yes,we went to the vet,Trixie was quite good really,though a pug was sent out for barking too much!I don't like the practise,the vets never talk to the animals or reassure them.Anyway,she's fine,wound healing well but another week of lead walks only.The dogs spend almost two hours a day running around the fields,so are pretty fed up.
How is Mr Ohso getting on?
Rebecca
Lord Chancellor

Post by Rebecca »

ohsocynical wrote:
Labour members roar with laughter as John Woodcock MP tells story of a seven-year-old girl who predicted the party is "f-----" under Jeremy Corbyn

Mr Woodcock said Labour "must respect" the alternative view that 150,000 new party members do not represent a "sign of hope".
He said: "We must respect the view which was put to me in really pithy terms by a candidate who hadn't been able to win their seat. They had been discussing the ramifications of the leadership result with their children and family. A seven-year-old marched in and said 'la la la, we're f-----'.
"Now hang on, she's a seven-year-old so I'm not saying I endorse that but her parents were not happy with her swearing. They told her that it wasn't appropriate language and she said 'it's ok mummy, it's in context.
My bold.

I think Tom Watson needs to have a few words with the bloody lot of them.And that includes Flint,Reeves and Jarvis.
High time that some Labour mps remember that they lost the last 2 elections,so how dare they start telling the press that Corbyn is unelectable?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

My bold.

I think Tom Watson needs to have a few words with the bloody lot of them.And that includes Flint,Reeves and Jarvis.
High time that some Labour mps remember that they lost the last 2 elections,so how dare they start telling the press that Corbyn is unelectable?
It is an article in the Telegraph. Hardly worth paying attention to.
Release the Guardvarks.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

yahyah wrote:Have just watched McDonnell's speech.

He was very encouraging, very clear.
Listening to him and Corbyn speaking, it's like the adults are back in charge.

Those who argue Corbyn's influence on the Labour party will be malign, that there's no chance for Labour in 2020 may need to update their thinking.

His call for the 'moderates' who took their bats & balls home to return to help the party for the sake of solidarity was moving. Let's hope those words don't fall on stony ground.
McDonell still has a huge credibility gap to close, and he probably never will live down the IRA thing. Plus there is the whole Times story about the left organising to corrupt local parties (which may just be made up).

That said his getting serious economists involved is a good thing (I suggested such an approach a few weeks ago), and pretty much everything he says on the economy is sensible and well thought out. The problem with his speech is how you pay for it, which I rather suspect is going to be tax increases somewhere. The IFS verdict is fairly clear on that, so unless he can convince the IFS he can fund it the Tories will scream massive tax rises.

Of course he could just be explicit where the taxes will fall, or at this stage at least what demographics end up paying for it.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:So Rebecca. Have you seen the vet yet? Hope the dog hasn't done too much damage to herself.
Hi Mrs Ohso,
Yes,we went to the vet,Trixie was quite good really,though a pug was sent out for barking too much!I don't like the practise,the vets never talk to the animals or reassure them.Anyway,she's fine,wound healing well but another week of lead walks only.The dogs spend almost two hours a day running around the fields,so are pretty fed up.
How is Mr Ohso getting on?
He's hanging in there. Gets days when he's very low...Now waiting for an appointment to see about his polyp.
Urology can't start his chemo until that's seen to and it's another department.
The consultant said unfortunately different departments don't work together very well...I'm going to ring and gee them up if we don't get a letter tomorrow.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Rebecca wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: My bold.

I hope you're going to tell all the Telegraph readers that....
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Willow904 wrote:

Funny times here.

Ed Miliband enjoyed good polls and gave good conference speeches too. It's not an anti-Corbyn thing, it's a once bitten, twice shy thing. I just can't put much faith in polls anymore. I'm more interested in local election results for now. Any movement in Labour's favour will be cheered by me, you can depend on that.
I might get excited for polls in England, and especially in places like The Midlands and the South East. Labour could win every seat in Wales and it wouldn't make a huge difference in seats. I will get really interested if Labour gets close on best PM or most trusted on the economy.

The locals will indeed provide a check point.
Release the Guardvarks.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ali john watts ‏@anaestheticdad 29m29 minutes ago
#juniorcontract so proud of my colleagues, stopped traffic at Downing Street. Protect our NHS

ali john watts ‏@anaestheticdad 36m36 minutes ago
I'm with 5000 doctors outside Westminster. Ensure patient safety, and ensure we can care for them
Working on the wild side.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

ohsocynical wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Rebecca wrote: I think Tom Watson needs to have a few words with the bloody lot of them.And that includes Flint,Reeves and Jarvis.
I hope you're going to tell all the Telegraph readers that....
I don't think you communicate with Telegraph readers, grunt and if they look too agitated throw them copies of Farage's life story - hard copy of course for added smacking potential.

The paper is borderline comic which happily invents stories.
Release the Guardvarks.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

LabourList ‏@LabourList 51 secs52 seconds ago

Full text of John McDonnell's speech at #Lab15 today http://ow.ly/SLqFx
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

doctors protest.jpg
doctors protest.jpg (30.76 KiB) Viewed 7809 times
When was the last time doctors had a protest march?

Couldn't find a thing about it on the main BBC news page...
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

Well well well

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... old-intent" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the-guardian-view-on-labours-economic-policy-careful-words-bold-intent
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

THE Prime Minister has sparked outrage after announcing nearly £6billion of British taxpayers' money will be spent tackling climate change around the world.

"The UK is determined to play its part, not just by cutting our emissions at home but by providing support overseas to those who need it, particularly the poorest and most vulnerable.

"That’s why we will increase the amount of aid we spend on climate finance over the next five years, helping communities around the world become more resilient to flooding and drought and providing clean, reliable energy.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ameron-6bn
I think I'll go into a corner and gibber quietly to myself...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Julia Telfer ‏@JuliaTelfer 6 mins6 minutes ago

NHS cancels open meeting about 7-day contracts after 5,000 doctors arrange protest

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/nh ... -7-6533123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

ohsocynical wrote:
THE Prime Minister has sparked outrage after announcing nearly £6billion of British taxpayers' money will be spent tackling climate change around the world.

"The UK is determined to play its part, not just by cutting our emissions at home but by providing support overseas to those who need it, particularly the poorest and most vulnerable.

"That’s why we will increase the amount of aid we spend on climate finance over the next five years, helping communities around the world become more resilient to flooding and drought and providing clean, reliable energy.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ameron-6bn
I think I'll go into a corner and gibber quietly to myself...
The UK needs clean, reliable energy, Dave!
Your government has cut wind turbine projects, house insulation, solar projects...!?
Your Tory chancellor's fossil fuel portfolio and hydraulic fracturing are a NO-NO.
Use the fossil fuels out of the ground for making public transportation infrastructure, wind turbines, solar...

Six billion
Okay, fine, definitely give aid to to other countries for renewable energy projects providing reliable energy for those countries.
We have just the one atmosphere after all.

Find six times six times six times six billion more for the UK - whatever it takes for clean, reliable, renewable energy in the UK too.
I feel better now.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

trip to the vet.jpg
trip to the vet.jpg (44.6 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
Rebecca, I saw this and thought of you and Trixie at the vets today. :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

@Kevin_Maguire

"#Ashcroft's brought forward publication: Call Me Dave- to nxt Mon.
-start of Con conference. It's war!"

#Tories
#popcorntime
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

When you find yourself agreeing with Putin on anything the world is seriously fucked up.
“We think it is an enormous mistake to refuse to cooperate with the Syrian government and its armed forces who are valiantly fighting terrorism face to face,” Mr Putin declared at the UN’s annual General Assembly. “We should finally acknowledge that no one but President Assad's armed forces and (Kurdish) militia are truly fighting the Islamic State and other terrorist organisations in Syria.”
Release the Guardvarks.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
I won't sue Ashcroft over 'Pig-gate' because I'm too busy running the country, says David Cameron
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -book.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: Of course you are Dave. Of course that's the reason.

I'm just imagining the conversation he might have dad with his lawyers when called upon to say what actually happened in his youth ... give details. Cringeworthy.
He probably took his jacket off, rolled up his sleeves and said to them: "Now look. In those days I was passionate about pigs"...
"... Just seeing a photograph of a pig got me pumped-up..."
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I don't know if Eric or yahyah posted a link to this blog about the reported tribunal findings re mortgage fraud in Scotland ... and the connection with one of the SNP MPs. Apologies if they already have.

I hadn't realised it was on such a scale. This blogger doesn't mince words about what he thinks will have to happen.

http://ianssmart.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09 ... fraud.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Working on the wild side.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

rebeccariots2 wrote:I don't know if Eric or yahyah posted a link to this blog about the reported tribunal findings re mortgage fraud in Scotland ... and the connection with one of the SNP MPs. Apologies if they already have.

I hadn't realised it was on such a scale. This blogger doesn't mince words about what he thinks will have to happen.

http://ianssmart.blogspot.co.uk/2015/09 ... fraud.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I hadn't seen any mention of the scale - but guessed it probably wasn't one, or even two, minor transgressions on the part of a solicitor. The Law Society of Scotland wouldn't take away someone's livelihood without a very good reason. The (alleged) involvement of the buyer will no doubt come out in the building society investigations.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

yahyah wrote:Don't think anyone's mentioned this.

Westminster polling
Labour 42% (+5)

Welsh Assembly

http://www.itv.com/news/wales/2015-09-2 ... yn-bounce/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If those polling levels continue, or improve, between now and May's Assembly elections it will be very good news for Labour in Wales - and it'll give heart to Labour across the nations. Is it the case that Labour's share had been falling in recent Welsh polling? I know it's been a concern that we/they could risk losing control of the Welsh Assembly. Since things are, seemingly, headed in the desired direction, I propose a quietly-celebratory piece of chocolate and a cuppa. Please join in and help yourselves :D
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tory replacement for NHS Direct going well I see.

The tragic cost of NHS out-of-hours hotline's descent into meltdown: Two babies died after parents were given wrong advice - as investigation finds ONE nurse on duty for 2 million people

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... eople.html

Still, we can always blame the NHS for that can't we instead of the politicos who thought "it doesn't matter if it works, we need to change it and fuck it up completely"

Pre-2010 - Burnham's fault
Post-2010 - NHS's fault
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
tinybgoat
Speaker of the House

Post by tinybgoat »

LadyCentauria wrote:
yahyah wrote:Don't think anyone's mentioned this.

Westminster polling
Labour 42% (+5)

Welsh Assembly

If those polling levels continue, or improve, between now and May's Assembly elections it will be very good news for Labour in Wales - and it'll give heart to Labour across the nations. Is it the case that Labour's share had been falling in recent Welsh polling? I know it's been a concern that we/they could risk losing control of the Welsh Assembly. Since things are, seemingly, headed in the desired direction, I propose a quietly-celebratory piece of chocolate and a cuppa. Please join in and help yourselves :D
almost totally off topic, but:-

https://mobile.twitter.com/LonelyBeagle ... 344448?p=v
Beagle2
@ LonelyBeagle2
This salty water is all very well but it makes an awful cuppa.
#bringmehome
9:08 AM - 28 Sep 2015
:mrgreen:
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

tinybgoat wrote: almost off topic, but:-

https://mobile.twitter.com/LonelyBeagle ... 344448?p=v
Beagle2
@ LonelyBeagle2
This salty water is all very well but it makes an awful cuppa.
#bringmehome
9:08 AM - 28 Sep 2015
:mrgreen:
Mwahaha! Quite so. Would need an incredibly efficient desalination plant before you could get a good cuppa on Mars! Fascinating reports from the Mars observation team, mind - and certainly revives hopes that some sort of extra-terrestrial life-forms might be found on other planets within our own solar system and beyond. Interesting link on the effect salt has on the freezing point of water. I'm guessing that the melting-point might be a little higher than the freezing-point (have no idea why this seems logical to me) but only fractionally so. I know that summers on Mars are not hot in relation to those on Earth but, given that ice continues to flow even when it appears completely frozen to our eyes, the flows don't surprise me. Delight, though, is what I feel. Chlamydomonas nivalis might have Martian cousins :D
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:Hope SeeingClearly is alright. I don't think she's posted recently.

And I wonder how ErnstRemax is doing? I guess he'd have been having a field day with the new direction Labour is taking.
Heartily seconded. I hope that Ernst would be pleased with the recipé I've been working with since OGRPFG informed us all of Yorkshire's hatred for everyone including themselves (waves to @Swarthlander who is currently engaged in hating the fog).

Ladies, Gentlemen, Comrades; I give you the Ernst's Kitchen Yorkshire Tart - aka the EkyTart:
A Custard of Puréed Tripe, Rhubarb, Lumb's Quality Ice-Cream, and Hendersons' Relish, lovingly encased in a Blind-baked Parkin casing, then Slow-cooked to ensure a Crisp Top concealing the soft smooth Custard within.

Ee, teks me back to me Auntie's in Sandal, that does... :bliss: