Tuesday 29th September 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Re: Tuesday 29th September 2015

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Silly Portugese.

It was all Gordo's fault.
Swarthlander
Committee Chair

Post by Swarthlander »

PorFavor wrote:
Patrick Wintour

@patrickwintour

Jeremy Corbyn's key speech line was "You dont have to take what you are given", but it emerges you can, if it works as a line in a speech.
6:30 PM - 29 Sep 2015 (Politics Live, Guardian)
No. It doesn't make any sense to me, either.
There has just been something on Ch4 News about parts of the JC speech being written years ago. I didn't catch it all so I'm not sure.

Edit: Guardian politics covers it.
Edit addendum: Michael Crick is a Pillock of the first water.
Last edited by Swarthlander on Tue 29 Sep, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A lack of compassion is as vulgar as an excess of tears"
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

Edited because the text without context is, errr.....

Because I couldn't post my holiday snap, or remove evidence of my sad failure. I'm sure we used to be able to delete posting fails.
Last edited by Hobiejoe on Tue 29 Sep, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Poll: What did you think of Jeremy Corbyn's speech?

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2015-09- ... ns-speech/
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Willow904 wrote:I've just been watching a repeat of Owen Smith's conference speech on BBC parliament. Easily the best speaker I've seen so far, by a large margin. Good he's got the shadow DWP brief.
I'd agree, from the speeches I've heard so far (although none have disappointed.) I haven't heard today's yet as I have been mostly playing with ponies and have just got home. Had a text from a friend, earlier, saying, "When you get home you can look forward to hearing Jeremy's speech. The food equivalent would be Waitrose Trifle!" Coming from JJ that is high praise indeed, so will look forward to it once I've eaten, etc., :D
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Following on from posts late last night,
MP Michelle Thomson has stepped down from the SNP frontbench amid a police investigation into property deals she conducted in 2010.
Ms Thomson has been linked with property deals involving Christopher Hales, a solicitor who was struck off by the Scottish Solicitors’ Disciplinary Tribunal (SSDT) for professional misconduct involving 13 transactions in 2010 and 2011.
Prosecutors have now instructed police to carry out an investigation into “alleged irregularities” relating to property deals in the year 2010/11 following a complaint by the SSDT.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3901423
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

I believe that Luke wasn't asked permission to use the "not walk by on the the other side" line(as similarly neither did Brown)
Hobiejoe
Minister of State

Post by Hobiejoe »

ohsocynical wrote:
The attachment portugal.jpg is no longer available
In Portugal, binmen were on strike, so people left their rubbish outside the banks.
I like the Portugese very much. We did a house swap with a family in Lisbon last Easter, just as the country were preparing to celebrate the 40th anniversary of their revolution. They had just put up a huge banner in the very heart of the city:
Attachments
13938983844_84226e5185_z.jpg
13938983844_84226e5185_z.jpg (140.99 KiB) Viewed 9280 times
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
AnatolyKasparov wrote:Corbyn did well today and he has avoided most of the embarrassments that certain people, with total confidence, predicted would befall him if he won the leadership.

That is at least enough to be going on with.
My objection to him was that government's a lot harder than he thinks.

When you basically "run against the party", as he did, albeit in a very genial way, you store up problems.

Clearly not if you look at the current mob - they make it look very easy as they are under no scrutiny at all

If you are honest it is 'difficult' for any Government that tries to break the Establishment consensus and is continually lied about

The media are scum and Corbyn should announce that anyone over a certain (low) % of the media ownership should be resident in the UK for tax purposes. And if Europe say it is not allowed then tell them to fuck off

Apparently the speech today was short on policy according to the hacks

i. No election for 5 years
ii. he was elected 2 weeks ago
iii. He has to concentrate on the party at this time and make them see a way forward
iv. He did announce general policy aims (rail renationalisation, energy localisation, house building, self-employed benefit etc). I am sure you disagree with most of it Tubby but it was the start of a policy framework

I would also like to see the following - someone actually coming out and saying what they disagree with rather than criticising his delivery. You can ask how it will be paid for etc but does anyone really expect that to be announced FIVE years before the election when it is likely there will be another recession before then - ask how the bloody Incompetents are going to pay for their policies and they are in Government!!!!!

I think there is a danger the media is missing the public mood - there is a real possibility that people do not dislike his non-polished delivery and actually like some of the things he says. He is definitely speaking a different language from the past. The media live in a bubble on £150000+ and mix in the same circles, and have close links, to the political class. They do not know any different - most of them are in there 20s or 30s so do not remember Thatcher and how she rewrote the script.

The best line though is that Miliband was criticised for being too much of a political geek and from the same class as all the others - now we have someone different the argument is that he is not polished enough, rambling and poorly trained. It shows what a bunch of liars and manipulators they are
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
RobertSnozers wrote:
yahyah wrote:I like him too. It isn't his fault he was born into a middle class family and called Tristram - something some people seem to find a no-no for a Labour politician,

But, and obviously the press may have hyped it to get at Corbyn, if he was involved with plotting anti-Corbyn 'resistance' then it is very disappointing.
But his recent utterances seem placatory, hope he lives up to them.
I don't have a problem with Hunt's social class or his name - mostly that he was such an appalling opposite to Michael Gove.
He wasn't appalling.

He could legitimately say he had a core of popular and practical policies that Miliband didn't really feature in the broader campaign.
I beg to differ, although I have only read the text maybe it was all in the delivery. Hopeless, on everything except the economy and schools.

Edited to clarify as I have a Wallace wrong trousers type quotation error - that is my view of Corbyn's speech, not Hunt. Clearly rapidly scanning text doesn't work in my current state.
Last edited by TechnicalEphemera on Tue 29 Sep, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Release the Guardvarks.
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Me again!

I am interested in how we can go forward towards and election victory in 2020 - a really hard order

FPTP
SNP in Scotland
Hostile media (100% pretty much)
Population that is mired in debt and scared about what is around the corner
A 'challenging' leadership of the party
Disunited party

Not looking promising

The only thing that perhaps we can look to is this massive influx in new supporters. If, and it is a big if, Corbyn's style and policy philosophy takes hold then the public may start to be more sympathetic. The public are a fickle bunch and Cameron has been lucky so far that events have not gone against him - that could change in a day! The poll tax riots being an example - that did for Thatcher remember (but still we lost in 92 - go figure)

A party of 500,000 members is also not to be sniffed at and if, again a big if, they can be energized to get involved in a movement for change - and then actually vote then the examples of Syrizia, Podemos and Chavez show that even a completely hostile Establishment can be turned on its head.

The difficulty I see more than others is actually the 4th one on my list - people are petrified what the future will bring. personal debt and insecurity is on the rise but the SOMA being fed to them allows them to put off reality. If nothing affects them really badly personally then they will go for the most conservative, and to them, secure option - which is the Tories (supported by the press). Unfortunately, those most affected tend not to vote

The British are a supine bunch when it comes to Government, despite our apparently gung-ho attitudes - we are conservative and quite insular - whether that has always been the case I can't say but there is a large proportion who really don't see outside their little boxes of existence at the moment

The Labour Party has to be aggressively using the bigger base and being prepared to tolerate active protest - whether it is strikes or non-violent demonstrations. The new politics means more than just electing a different type of leader
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

I think Mr. McBride has a couple modes
1) insightful, competent
2) off-his-head-what-was-he-thinking
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

citizenJA wrote:I think Mr. McBride has a couple modes
1) insightful, competent
I think you may be on to something there.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

"But whatever the outcome we stand together, united as Labour, to put forward a better way to the misery on offer from the Conservatives."

Jeremy Corbyn
September 2015

that's what you need to know
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
1) insightful, competent
I think you may be on to something there.
We're human beings, we're imperfect.
It's fine.
Mr. McBride is okay where he's at now.
When he has good ideas, we can benefit from that and when he doesn't, we'll call him a cab to get him home.
It'll work out.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

SNP in pointlessly giving money to profitable company with SNP lobbyist!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rk-subsidy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The faithful below the line think this inquiry is a bit impertinent. Apparently it's all OK because the profitable festival makes money for Scotland or something.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Phil BC ‏@philbc3 21 mins21 minutes ago

Apparently, 3,000 more people have joined Labour since Jeremy's speech this afternoon.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:SNP in pointlessly giving money to profitable company with SNP lobbyist!

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... rk-subsidy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The faithful below the line think this inquiry is a bit impertinent. Apparently it's all OK because the profitable festival makes money for Scotland or something.
Apparently the organisers suggested they might take the event south of the border. When the financial institutions said something similar just over a year ago, they were scaremongering. :)

The BBC report is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-34380607

They have also linked to the published documents here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-34393604
If you scroll down, to just below the transport map, there are links to the full published documents. For an example of 'transparent government' have a look at the first one (http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0048/00486199.pdf).
I don't advise trying to print it unless you have plenty of black ink for the acres of redactions!
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:
portugal.jpg
In Portugal, binmen were on strike, so people left their rubbish outside the banks.
Good on the Portuguese :D
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... es#history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updated guidance for fit notes

"If you are fit for work you do not need a fit note"

WORK BASTARDS IT IS GOOD FOR YOU ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT FIT

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ce-for-gps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dear GP's ,if the bastards can move,breath etc ,they can do work,ignore any other consideration beyond that and the indisputable evidence that patients previously conning you as "suicidal" lasted a full six months on JSA without being sanctioned.
Last edited by HindleA on Tue 29 Sep, 2015 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Meanwhile, over at the Carmichael witch hunt:
ALISTAIR Carmichael faces the prospect of having to explain himself in court over why he lied about his role in the leaking of a memo to harm Nicola Sturgeon.
The former Scottish Secretary is expected to appear in a specially convened election court after he failed to get a legal challenge against him – backed by a £88,000 crowd-funding campaign – thrown out at the first opportunity.
Yesterday the two judges tasked with deciding whether the Lib Dem MP for the Orkney and Shetland broke electoral laws ruled that they wanted to hear more evidence.
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3901598
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

From tomorrow it will be illegal to light up in cars with children. But it's all a farce because...
POLICE VOW TO IGNORE NEW LAW ON SMOKING
(Daily Mail front page for Wednesday 30th Oct 2015)
http://www.scoopnest.com/user/SkyNews/6 ... 2120576000
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Goodnight, @cJA - dream sweetly and waken refreshed :)
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... es#history

Updated guidance for fit notes

"If you are fit for work you do not need a fit note"

WORK BASTARDS IT IS GOOD FOR YOU ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE NOT FIT

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ce-for-gps" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dear GP's ,if the bastards can move,breath etc ,they can do work,ignore any other consideration beyond that and the indisputable evidence that patients previously conning you as "suicidal" lasted a full six months on JSA without being sanctioned.
Indeed. And if you don't need a Fit Note once you're fit to return to work, why is it called a bloody Fit Note - except for purposes of bamboozling, befuddling, confusticating, and just bloody riling-up people like me!!!??? :fire: :wall: :fire: :wall: :fire: :wall: :fight:
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Eric_WLothian wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:SNP in pointlessly giving money to profitable company with SNP lobbyist!

Apparently the organisers suggested they might take the event south of the border. When the financial institutions said something similar just over a year ago, they were scaremongering. :)

The BBC report is here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-34380607

They have also linked to the published documents here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-34393604
If you scroll down, to just below the transport map, there are links to the full published documents. For an example of 'transparent government' have a look at the first one (http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0048/00486199.pdf).
I don't advise trying to print it unless you have plenty of black ink for the acres of redactions!
Cheers- nicked your line about "scaremongering" companies.
Tizme1
Minister of State

Post by Tizme1 »

1) insightful, competent
so, 1) = you agree and 2) = you disagree.

Perhaps now you will stop expressing agreement with anyone who says they are a 'Labour' member or supporter and engage your critical brain.
Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

I don't know whether or not anyone's posted it but here is Kerry McCarthy's (DEFRA) speech to Conference. I think most of us will find it pleasing:
http://press.labour.org.uk/post/1301239 ... rty-annual
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

I haven't read, heard or seen Corbyn's speech yet just the odd clip on news items but have to say that it did seem inspiring. However I have also noticed that some of the media and others who appear to either bear some grudge or are opponents for whatever reason have apparently forgotten that this was a speech to a Labour Party conference.

I get that being a part of the establishment that Jeremy opposes much of the msm have a motive to challenge his views but quite frankly they are so overstating their case that they are looking increasingly foolish. The more they persist the more they shall continue to do so and may find that rather than setting the narrative that they find themselves out of step with public opinion and become one of its major topics.

I could of course be wrong because it won't be for the first time but feel it time that Tom Watson brought them back to the fore and reverted to his attack dog stance. There is also the, I can't remember what it was to be called now, but the unit to counter all the lies. Sorry would look it up but am going out in a minute.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Dunno who's typing the BBC News' on-screen headlines but just had a giggle at someone typing as I do, a lot of the time. I'm not alone! Hurrah!. Their headline said:
Cars: China boosts tacx cuts
My brain frequently instructs my fingers to do that sort of thing when I'm sort of drifting (and befour I cerrekt things) and I slip into a form of phonetic (funetick!) spellings - I blame the Lyrica™ - although, when I'm pain-free, fog-free, and focused, I'm considerably more accurate :D :big-head: ;)
:waves to early-morning birds/night-owls: