Saturday 3rd October & Sunday 4th October 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Re: Saturday 3rd October & Sunday 4th October 2015

Post by LadyCentauria »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:i'm convinced that the Tory decision to meet in Manchester is a bit of trolling, just because Labour have 96 out of 96 councillors there :twisted:
Suits them for their Northern Powerhouse schtick. First 'City Region' to accept Osborne's devolution-with-elected-mayor deal - even though the enabling/enacting legislation for City/Region Devolution doesn't hit Parliament until next year, so the current 'interim mayor' is unlikely (from my reading of things) to have any real powers (or budget) before the first election for the post takes place in May 2017. But they can brag that 'even Labour councils agree with us!' and 'It takes a Conservative Government to offer Labour Councils this freedom' - whilst quite ignoring the inconvenient fact that the Greater Manchester Council/Authority (can't remember which) was abolished by the Tories, along with the GLC, etc.,
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Harry Leslie Smith.

http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/a-e5 ... gy.twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Am forced to ask why there is not a single politician that seems capable of writing from the gut like this.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

HindleA wrote:Farewell,Denis Healey.
He certainly made it to a great age and was a towering figure of Labour politics for most of, if not, all of my life so far. Fine musician, too. Wasn't he one of the first British politicians to not just take part in but join in with television satirical news-based quizzes?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Somewhere on YouTube there is a clip of him singing and dancing with Les Patterson alias Dame Edna, and Roger Moore. :D
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Denis Healey’s 10 most celebrated quotes

http://linkis.com/www.theguardian.com/h5OSp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

I was joking - having a little surreal flight of fantasy if you like - about the pig masked protests. Turns out they already exist. How frightening is that. I blame that Black Mirror bloke ... he's been writing the present in the past if you see what I mean.

Utopian - come back, you do this rambling digressive blurb with a point or two much better than I.
Working on the wild side.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

ohsocynical wrote:Denis Healey’s 10 most celebrated quotes

http://linkis.com/www.theguardian.com/h5OSp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They're lovely ain't they.

The only political autobiography I have ever bought and read is Denis Healey's.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

atm.jpg
atm.jpg (41.89 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
What Denis Healey said about whether he'd push the nuclear button

(from http://joeltaylorwrites.blogspot.co.uk/ ... rrent.html…)

Interesting
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Denis Healey’s 10 most celebrated quotes

They're lovely ain't they.

The only political autobiography I have ever bought and read is Denis Healey's.
It's now on my must buy wish list....
ChrisDean
Backbencher

Post by ChrisDean »

Signing off now folks, read you all everyday and appreciate all that you write...all food for thought. Take care, much love to you all x
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone
love,
cJA
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34433313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A Conservative spokesman said there was "growing concern over militant actions of left-wing councils, spurred on by trade unions and the Labour leadership".
If the Conservatives feel so strongly about this issue, perhaps they should get themselves democratically elected to these councils in order to impose more Tory values on the local residents. Of course, if local voters are happy with the actions of their democratically elected Labour council.....
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

'Arrogant and complacent' ministers admit Government is not prepared for a 'Brexit'

THE Government has admitted it has made “no preparations” for Britain leaving the European Union (EU), despite public opinion swinging in favour of a so-called Brexit.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... pared-Ukip
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
'Arrogant and complacent' ministers admit Government is not prepared for a 'Brexit'

THE Government has admitted it has made “no preparations” for Britain leaving the European Union (EU), despite public opinion swinging in favour of a so-called Brexit.

It's almost as if they already know what the result of the referendum might be. Spooky.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

LadyCentauria wrote:
HindleA wrote:Farewell,Denis Healey.
He certainly made it to a great age and was a towering figure of Labour politics for most of, if not, all of my life so far. Fine musician, too. Wasn't he one of the first British politicians to not just take part in but join in with television satirical news-based quizzes?
That wouldn't surprise me Lady C. It sounds as though it should be right - even if it isn't. I think Healey was one of those people who were naturally 'good company'. That's a fine attribute ... one I'm a bit envious of.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HuffPost Politics ‏@HuffPostPol 9h9 hours ago
Jeb Bush opposes new gun laws on grounds that "stuff happens" http://huff.to/1M6QS1k" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Republicans really are spoiled for choice with their potential presidential candidates, eh. Bush and Trump ...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Reading Tweets about police snipers on the roofs around Manchester...

Dear oh dear. The Tories certainly don't get it do they....
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

ChrisDean wrote:Signing off now folks, read you all everyday and appreciate all that you write...all food for thought. Take care, much love to you all x
To you, too, @ChrisDean - your posts are always much appreciated.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Repeat of discussion of "Jeremy Corbyn and Britain's place in the World"at 22.15 Radio 4,for those interested.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ash-crisis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ministers ‘are hiding details of £2bn NHS cash crisis’
Tories accused of burying bad news with delayed figures on health service finances expected to show huge deficit
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34433313
A Conservative spokesman said there was "growing concern over militant actions of left-wing councils, spurred on by trade unions and the Labour leadership".
If the Conservatives feel so strongly about this issue, perhaps they should get themselves democratically elected to these councils in order to impose more Tory values on the local residents. Of course, if local voters are happy with the actions of their democratically elected Labour council.....
It's a "look at loony Corbyn" policy.

It's pathetic. What on earth does "spurred on by" mean anyway?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

This is really funny.
"Labour's Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, alongside Labour-affiliated trade unions, are urging councils to use their procurement and pension policies to punish both Israel and the UK defence industry," he said.

"Separate hard-left campaigns against British defence companies threaten to harm Britain's £10bn export trade, destroying British jobs, and hinder joint working with Israel to protect Britain from foreign cyber-attacks and terrorism," he added.
The campaigns are separate from Corbyn or not?

Campaigning against something is destroying British jobs? It's free speech. If indeed Israel really are that offended, employ some decent diplomats to dampen the row down.

On the subject of council campaigns destroying British jobs, you might wish to consider all your pals in the Chilterns campaigning against HS2. There are different views on HS2, but your government asserts very clearly that cancelling it would cost lots of jobs.

What's the difference?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Fair play to Patrick McLoughlin. Unambiguous support for EU membership.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015 ... m-positive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He's been one of the better ones, I think. Apart from hiding the "pauses" in the big electrification schemes till after the election.

Actually, even including that, he's been one of the better ones.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:This is really funny.
"Labour's Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell, alongside Labour-affiliated trade unions, are urging councils to use their procurement and pension policies to punish both Israel and the UK defence industry," he said.

"Separate hard-left campaigns against British defence companies threaten to harm Britain's £10bn export trade, destroying British jobs, and hinder joint working with Israel to protect Britain from foreign cyber-attacks and terrorism," he added.
The campaigns are separate from Corbyn or not?

Campaigning against something is destroying British jobs? It's free speech. If indeed Israel really are that offended, employ some decent diplomats to dampen the row down.

On the subject of council campaigns destroying British jobs, you might wish to consider all your pals in the Chilterns campaigning against HS2. There are different views on HS2, but your government asserts very clearly that cancelling it would cost lots of jobs.

What's the difference?
And all the boycotts/campaigns mentioned in the article and quotes pre-date Corbyn's election as Leader of the Labour Party, so there's a bit of a wriggle to blame him and McDonnell for things that go back, I think, up to four years ago.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

@Tubby's link, above, led me to this:
More than half of teachers in England (53%) are thinking of quitting in the next two years, a survey has suggested.
The survey, conducted by the National Union of Teachers, found 61% of those wanting to leave blamed workload and 57% desired a better work/life balance.
Two thirds of the 1,020 primary and secondary school teachers questioned felt morale in the profession had declined over the past five years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34426598
Deeply worrying. Have a look, too, at the levels of doubt expressed in the forced-Academisation, Free Schools, and pre-school baseline-testing, policies of this Tory Government...
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Morning.

Have just been looking at the newspaper front pages at Paper Boy.

Ignoring the Telegraph Corbyn smears, the Sunday Express ignore report:

''Mass closure of surgeries: Family doctors plan biggest walkout for 50 YEARS

FAMILY doctors are planning the first mass resignation in 50 years in protest at increasingly unsustainable workloads
.''

''Last night Dr Peter Holden, senior member of the BMA’s General Practitioners Committee, said the family doctor service was on the verge of “collapse” and that the subject of resignation was being openly talked about.''
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/609725 ... y-closures" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NHS, safe in Cameron's hands , wasn't that what he promised ?

Edited to add: The Paper Boy site has only just in the last few minutes fully updated its front pages from last week.
The Telegraph is today front paging a story about ISIL and the SAS, the riots smear against Corbyn was last Sunday.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

David CameronVerified account ‏@David_Cameron 17m17 minutes ago
I can announce we will double our drone fleet and increase funding for special forces to combat the terrorist threat.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tories stealing Labour's ideas again ?

April 2015:
Labour outlines plans for grandparent leave to look after grandchildren
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 76698.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

October 4th 2015
''Osborne's £140 'granny leave':
Millions of grandparents could be paid by State to look after grandchildren under radical reforms

For first time, grandparents able to claim ‘granny leave’ or ‘grandpa leave’
Working grandparents will qualify; but they wouldn't have to give up jobs''
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Marr starts as he means to go on, calling the Tory win in May 'a great victory'.
TobyLatimer
Chief Whip

Post by TobyLatimer »

George Osborne has an ambition to be blasted into space. Should we start a crowdfunding appeal to help him achieve his dream ?
I for one would love to see him jettisoned into another galaxy, to boldly go where no towel folder has gone before.
ScreenShot00834.jpg
ScreenShot00834.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 5981 times

He also is a big fan of US gangsta rap pioneers N**gaz With Attitude (NWA) who apparently want to "F*ck Da Police" & one of his political heroes is US civil rights activist Rosa Parks.

What a wonderful chap.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Morning. I've been catching up with bits and bobs around t'net (wearing my decades old specs as the lens just fell out of my normal screen watching specs ... Sundays eh.)

Remember the hooha about this in the run up to the election?
Green Party ✔ @TheGreenParty
#gpconf has voted to remove the @TheGreenParty's preference for shorter #copyright terms pic.twitter.com/nrKvwT4LUW
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

An affectionate goodbye to Dennis Healey from Andrew Rawnsley.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... oliticians" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope to hear later from JA about her partner's experience at the Manchester rally.

Am off now, haven't scoffed all the croissants and toast.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

ohsocynical wrote:

I might be imagining it but I seem to recall a bit of a hoo-haa over the Treasury drawing up plans for a Brexit which you could expect the civil service to do.

Maybe the government haven't is nor prepare which wouldn't surprise me at all but not the civil service.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

yahyah wrote:Marr starts as he means to go on, calling the Tory win in May 'a great victory'.
Can you just give us the edited lowlights of it please yahyah. Have you got your Marr Tory bingo card out? Spec security will feature somewhere - and working people's party - yada yada yada.

Bet there won't be any mention of ham though.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

rebeccariots2 wrote:Morning. I've been catching up with bits and bobs around t'net (wearing my decades old specs as the lens just fell out of my normal screen watching specs ... Sundays eh.)

Remember the hooha about this in the run up to the election?
Green Party ✔ @TheGreenParty
#gpconf has voted to remove the @TheGreenParty's preference for shorter #copyright terms pic.twitter.com/nrKvwT4LUW
Clever spin on it from the Greens. Not we had the wrong policy, but 'we listened to you and changed our policy'.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I am going now, I promise.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

It doesn't bode well when Andrew Marr describes Cameron as a visionary at the outset of his programme today unless of course you refer to his commonplace misunderstandings. How you could possibly confuse pointing Percy at the porcelain for example? Still this is the guy who thought the Americans won the Battle of Britain and that the Magna Carta was the wagon that delivered his Dom Pérignon supplies.

Sorry, a good morning to you all
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Well - good on the Sun (yes, I know, feel sick about that as well) for reporting this.
OSBORNE HIT IN FRESH DONOR ROW AFTER DILUTING “NON-DOM” PROMISE
Labour have accused the government of “dancing to the tune of their hedge fund paymasters"

http://www.sunnation.co.uk/osborne-hit- ... m-promise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

...Plans drawn up by the Treasury would mean an individual’s non-dom status would expire after 15 years of living in the UK.

But due to a sneaky loophole planned by Osborne, if they set up an offshore trust before then, its income and and capital gains could remain untaxed.

The plans were initially announced on the Treasury website last Monday — and quickly withdrawn — on the same day that Downing Street were caught in a row over the non-dom status of controversial former Tory donor Lord Ashcroft, The Sun can reveal...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sorry - again. But shows you just how wrong Osborne and the Tories might have got their calculations of what they can get away with. Forest sell off number two?
Sun on Sunday Campaign Against Tax Credit Cuts.jpg
Sun on Sunday Campaign Against Tax Credit Cuts.jpg (109.67 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 7m7 minutes ago
Sun on Sunday launch campaign to force George Osborne to ease blow of tax credit cuts;
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

And here's a response to that campaign by Tory Tim Montgomerie
Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 6m6 minutes ago
@tnewtondunn Brilliant Tom. These cuts are hard to justify when inheritance tax is being cut and pensions increasing by so much.
Well quite.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Tim Shipman ‏@ShippersUnbound 10m10 minutes ago
Tory leadership: "There will be 3 candidates. George, the stop George candidate & whoever George runs as the stop-stop-George candidate.”
He's probably right on that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 4m4 minutes ago
Unite has formally written to Cameron offering to accept TU bill's new strike threshold so long as govt allows on line workplace balloting.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

Good morning all. And what a happy Sunday it is.

A £2BN cash crisis in the NHS covered up so as not to spoil the conference. Where's that £8BN you promised, Porky? Oh. That's for 2020. Maybe.

Gidiot likes "Trainspotting". He clearly wants to be Renton, played by Ewan Macgregor...... who lost a lot of weight for the part (check), was a git in reality but seemed like an OK sort of guy (check), and supported his addiction with taxpayers money (check). Oh dear, George.

Ministers are not prepared for a possible Brexit. Well, colour me surprised. Luckily there are masses of civil servants who can plan for them....ah. They've all been sacked.
IDS/Nosferatu has popped up from his grave to be all Eurosceptic etc. and has informed us (not for the first time) that ESA with its 3 levels of benefit is "binary".

These people are dangerous.

Still, at least the Wallabies beat England. The reason why I am pleased about this is because it means Wales goes through to the next stage; and because Ben Youngs' arrogant assumption that the Wallabies wouldn't care when England beat them as they'd only have to beat Wales to stay in the championship. Robshaw was magnanimous in defeat, and is a gent - the rest of them have behaved like total dicks, IMHO.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

SNP prepare for tough by-election in Thomson’s seat
Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... z3naRAYbL2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
SNP selection under fire over second MP
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3906656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure how tough a by-election would actually be if they have a good, untarnished new candidate. No knowledge of the local context in Edinburgh West but assume the SNP had a massive majority there. And doesn't Thomson have to decide to resign - or be charged / convicted of an offence - before there is a seat to be contested?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Beth Rigby ‏@BethRigby 13m13 minutes ago
Beth Rigby Retweeted Maria Hutchings
As said by former Tory Eastleigh by-election candidate....

Maria Hutchings
‏@MariaHutchings
#andrewmarrshow tax credit cuts for striving low income self employed, yet payments to working grandparents: insane!
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 16m16 minutes ago
David Cameron insists no extra help for those losing tax credits. next year. That will be a surprise to MPs told there wd be more help
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 5m5 minutes ago
PM confirms MoJ bidding to run Saudi prisons but Britain does not support death penalty anywhere. So UK only to profit from death penalty.
Obscene.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

England only ever win the World Cup under a Labour Government,the voters have a lot to answer for.
I have a glut of tomatoes(different sizes,varieties,I think they are tomatoes,some are rather large))any recipies,ideas(keep it clean please)what to do with them,beyond "on toast"would be appreciated.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 2m2 minutes ago
DC will not say when he knew Lord Ashcroft was a non dom referring to the answers he gave previously.
Sam Coates Times ‏@SamCoatesTimes 2m2 minutes ago
On tax credits, on Saudi beheadings and on offering Ashcroft a job, Cameron gave unconvincing answers. Not a great start to conference.
Ian Dunt ‏@IanDunt 3m3 minutes ago
Good interview, but Marr really let him off the hook on Saudi Arabia. You could see the relief in Cameron's eyes.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

He doesn't give a toss though,does he.It is merely piddling about between holidays.