Saturday 3rd October & Sunday 4th October 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 3rd October & Sunday 4th October 2015

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:England only ever win the World Cup under a Labour Government,the voters have a lot to answer for.
I have a glut of tomatoes(different sizes,varieties,I think they are tomatoes,some are rather large))any recipies,ideas(keep it clean please)what to do with them,beyond "on toast"would be appreciated.
Chutney or soup strike me as the obvious answers. Large tomatoes can be stuffed, of course.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
SNP prepare for tough by-election in Thomson’s seat
Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... z3naRAYbL2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
SNP selection under fire over second MP
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3906656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure how tough a by-election would actually be if they have a good, untarnished new candidate. No knowledge of the local context in Edinburgh West but assume the SNP had a massive majority there. And doesn't Thomson have to decide to resign - or be charged / convicted of an offence - before there is a seat to be contested?
It was relatively marginal IIRC - a traditional LibDem/Tory battleground and somewhere where the SNP had no electoral presence to speak of prior to 2011/15.

The likelihood is that they would lose a by-election - one reason why some Nats are advocating getting it over with as soon as possible if it becomes unavoidable.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

HindleA wrote:England only ever win the World Cup under a Labour Government,the voters have a lot to answer for.
I have a glut of tomatoes(different sizes,varieties,I think they are tomatoes,some are rather large))any recipies,ideas(keep it clean please)what to do with them,beyond "on toast"would be appreciated.
The roasted tomato sauce recipe by Jamie Oliver is a favourite of mine for a tomato glut. Don't think I can find it on the web (but perhaps in the Guardian once).

Here it is:
500g tomatoes, halved
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt and black pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C/350F gas mark 4. Lay the tomatoes cut side up in a roasting tin, place a slice of garlic on each, pour over the oil, season well and roast for 30 - 45 minutes, until soft and slightly charred. Rub through a sieve into a bowl.
It's the sieving that takes the work. Resulting sauce is delicious - can be used on or in just about anything and adds loads flavour and body - pizza, soups, pasta etc. I freeze it in batches and it keeps well.
Working on the wild side.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Thanks for tips.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

ephemerid wrote:Still, at least the Wallabies beat England. The reason why I am pleased about this is because it means Wales goes through to the next stage; and because Ben Youngs' arrogant assumption that the Wallabies wouldn't care when England beat them as they'd only have to beat Wales to stay in the championship. Robshaw was magnanimous in defeat, and is a gent - the rest of them have behaved like total dicks, IMHO.
:shock: Dead to me.

(not really)
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:@Tubby's link, above, led me to this:
More than half of teachers in England (53%) are thinking of quitting in the next two years, a survey has suggested.
The survey, conducted by the National Union of Teachers, found 61% of those wanting to leave blamed workload and 57% desired a better work/life balance.
Two thirds of the 1,020 primary and secondary school teachers questioned felt morale in the profession had declined over the past five years.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34426598
Deeply worrying. Have a look, too, at the levels of doubt expressed in the forced-Academisation, Free Schools, and pre-school baseline-testing, policies of this Tory Government...
Tories are don't mind having no one employed or qualified to teach our children.

Good-morning, everyone.

Tory security in Manchester includes snipers perched on top of buildings, does it?
Mr. citizen didn't tell me about that.
I'd expressed some nervousness about his going to Manchester this morning with others carrying placards asking Tories to stop.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Osborne Trews Stroll On.jpg
Osborne Trews Stroll On.jpg (52.8 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
Joe Watts ‏@JoeWatts_ 14m14 minutes ago
If anyone bought jeans in a charity shop recently, you may be wearing trousers that George Osborne was squeezed into
They should be sending out alerts to all Tatton charity shoppers ...

Gives a whole new meaning to country seat.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Willow904 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34433313
A Conservative spokesman said there was "growing concern over militant actions of left-wing councils, spurred on by trade unions and the Labour leadership".
If the Conservatives feel so strongly about this issue, perhaps they should get themselves democratically elected to these councils in order to impose more Tory values on the local residents. Of course, if local voters are happy with the actions of their democratically elected Labour council.....
Well said.

Once again, please accept my thanks, Willow904, for your excellent political commentary.
Clear, concise, never tedious and insightful.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://ukaji.org/2015/09/28/evidence-of ... ed-people/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Evidence of the impact of welfare reforms on disabled people

Two recent reports published by the Equality and Human Rights Commission focus on disabled people’s rights to social security and to participate in political decision-making. Both are submissions to the inquiry of the UN Special Rapporteur on Disabilities, who is due to report to the UN’s General Assembly next month.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Frances Perraudin ‏@fperraudin 30m30 minutes ago
You shouldn't play politics with childcare, says Priti Patel when @SkyMurnaghan says her grandparent leave policy was 1st proposed by Harman
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

BBC Politics ‏@BBCPolitics 31m31 minutes ago
David Cameron resists calls to rethink cuts to tax credits for working families amid warning millions will lose out. http://bbc.in/1iVF7Uc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
You shouldn't play politics with childcare, says Priti Patel when @SkyMurnaghan says her grandparent leave policy was 1st proposed by Harman
What does that even mean - so are MPs not allowed to say "Actually we thought of that a while ago"?

She really is an appalling human being. One of those that can't acknowledge that anybody else might be right occasionally.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Good morfternoon.
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Has anyone kept a tally of all the things with which "you shouldn't play politics"? It'll be elections next . . . .
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

If you have a freezer you could skin them [after a minute or two sitting in boiling water, and cook them down with onions.

If you add Italian herbs, dried or fresh, then you will have a supply of pasta sauce.
Use Indian spices and you'll get ready made curry sauces.

You could try putting the cooked down tomatoes into preserving jars, but as my only preserving attempts have ended in things going bad I wouldn't bother.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

yahyah wrote:David CameronVerified account ‏@David_Cameron 17m17 minutes ago
I can announce we will double our drone fleet and increase funding for special forces to combat the terrorist threat.
That's security, is it?
Is that supposed to make us feel secure?
A drone fleet and taxpayer funded combat troops for terrorists?
That isn't safe.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
What does that even mean - so are MPs not allowed to say "Actually we thought of that a while ago"?

She really is an appalling human being. One of those that can't acknowledge that anybody else might be right occasionally.
I agree on how appalling she is (I cannot stand the way she drops the g of the ing endings of words - very affected.) They really don't want to admit they are stealing some of Labour's policies developed under that awful weak, but somehow back stabbing, Ed Miliband. But as with the non dom loophole Osborne has now snuck in ... and the not enough money to pay for their existing childcare promises ... and the gaping hole in NHS finances despite all their promises ... this policy won't be implemented properly or given enough funding etc etc.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

On the Andrew Marr Show David Cameron said he had met the TUC to discuss the trade union bill. Frances O’Grady, the TUC general secretary, says that is not true.

Frances O'Grady @FrancesOGrady

. @David_Cameron said @The_TUC met Number 10 on the #TUbill. Not true. I wrote to him just after the election, but still no reply. #Marr
10:13 AM - 4 Oct 2015

291 291 Retweets (Politics Live, Guardian)
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

Tomato and chilli "jam" (in reality, a kind of chutney) is rather nice. Easy to make too, and lots of recipes on the net :)
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Cheers,again.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... are_btn_tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Right-to-buy extension branded unworkable by Tory-led council group
Local Government Association says allowing housing association residents to buy their homes could cost councils £6bn over next four years

I think they have missed the point,they don't give a toss about workability or effects beyond garnering votes.
utopiandreams
Speaker of the House

Post by utopiandreams »

ephemerid wrote:... A £2BN cash crisis in the NHS covered up so as not to spoil the conference. Where's that £8BN you promised, Porky? Oh. That's for 2020. Maybe...
Funny you should mention that, ephe, because I noted that it had miraculously become £10bn when Dave mentioned it during his friendly chat with Andrew Marr. Obviously he'd seen the Observer headline and already added it in. Up down, figures are meaningless coming from his like, such as the extra £12.7 or £13bn during the last government which had unquestionably become £7bn during the campaign just to make the proposed £8bn look good. Nothing quite compares to IDS' claim of the extra £100bn tax revenues from 1600 or was that 2600 prosecutions or was that tightening of loopholes? Nobody knows, equally mysterious though.

Speaking of friendly chats, I did note that Supertramp got a mention. Okay, David, maybe marginally more acceptable but at least you admitted that part was true. As for the other you suggested that we may already have made up our minds. Granted it rarely happens, Dave, but I guess there are times that even we can agree.

Edit: added 'bn' to '£7'
Last edited by utopiandreams on Sun 04 Oct, 2015 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I would close my eyes if I couldn't dream.
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

AnatolyKasparov wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
SNP prepare for tough by-election in Thomson’s seat
Read more: http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... z3naRAYbL2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and
SNP selection under fire over second MP
http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/t ... -1-3906656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not sure how tough a by-election would actually be if they have a good, untarnished new candidate. No knowledge of the local context in Edinburgh West but assume the SNP had a massive majority there. And doesn't Thomson have to decide to resign - or be charged / convicted of an offence - before there is a seat to be contested?
It was relatively marginal IIRC - a traditional LibDem/Tory battleground and somewhere where the SNP had no electoral presence to speak of prior to 2011/15.

The likelihood is that they would lose a by-election - one reason why some Nats are advocating getting it over with as soon as possible if it becomes unavoidable.
The constituency contains some very up-market areas. It used to be Lord James Douglas-Hamilton's seat, iirc.

Interesting piece of trivia: Thomson was the line manager of Mike Crockart, the LibDem MP who lost his seat to her, when they worked for Standard Life.
SNP candidate Michelle Thomson, described by the party as “one of the new breed of SNP challengers”, was a professional pianist and worked in IT at Standard Life – where she was Mr Crockart’s line manager – before setting up her own property business. She also spent two years in the run-up to the referendum as 
managing director of Business for Scotland.
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/n ... -1-3760155
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Sajid Javid is really crap (and A.N. has been hammering at him) because, amongst other crap he's spouting, he uttered the sentence, "For every Public Sector worker who lost their job, millions more jobs were created by the Private Sector!"
:rofl: :lol: :roll:
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 7m7 minutes ago
David Cameron says the Tories won’t alter their tax credit cuts. Here’s what might make them change their mind http://specc.ie/1WFCTHn" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The revolt is growing, but I suspect that it won’t reach its peak until letters are sent out to claimants explaining how much money they are going to lose. Those letters start going out in December, at which point MPs may start to be unsettled by the number of people coming to their surgeries in a panic.

The Conservatives are pushing ahead with this because they feel they have the time and political capital to make the cut now and still be forgiven by voters in 2020. But the question is whether they are basing this assumption on previous cuts, such as those to child benefit that caused a row in 2010, which didn’t hit people in a way that they’d really be smarting still in 2015. The child benefit cuts hit those on higher incomes, whereas these tax credit cuts hit Sun readers, people for whom even small changes in their financial situation can be devastating. Will they still be furious with the Conservatives in 2020? The answer to that question will have a lot to do with whether Cameron and Osborne do end up making changes to their current plan.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

The huge crowd of people wanting to express disapproval of Tory government aren't allowed near the completely fenced off building Tories are occupying. Mr. citizen cannot confirm that snipers are poised on rooftops protecting Tory overlords in Manchester.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

Live: Manchester anti-austerity protest rally - Tens of thousands to march through city as Tory conference begins
Around 80,000 demonstrators are expected to descend on the city to protest outside the Conservative party conference’s base at Manchester Central as part of the #TakeBackMCR rally

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... y-10190207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

LadyCentauria wrote:Sajid Javid is really crap (and A.N. has been hammering at him) because, amongst other crap he's spouting, he uttered the sentence, "For every Public Sector worker who lost their job, millions more jobs were created by the Private Sector!"
What do you expect from an arsehole who believes that Teesside is in the North West of England?

Afternoon all
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Manchester News MEN ‏@MENnewsdesk 5h5 hours ago
Roads closed, buses diverted and trams stopped as 80,000 protesters hit Manchester http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... d-10179661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Hadn't seen your post when I put this up AAW. Snap and all that. Wonder how much reporting the BBC is going to do on this aspect of the Tory conf?
Last edited by rebeccariots2 on Sun 04 Oct, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

LadyCentauria wrote:Sajid Javid is really crap (and A.N. has been hammering at him) because, amongst other crap he's spouting, he uttered the sentence, "For every Public Sector worker who lost their job, millions more jobs were created by the Private Sector!"
All those private sector jobs don't pay people wages though.
Having to work for free is a problem, you know?
We understand this, Tories don't.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

https://twitter.com/hashtag/takebackmcr ... s&src=hash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

#takebackMCR
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

From Andrew Sparrow's blog:
Here’s my colleague Nicholas Watt’s story about David Cameron’s Andrew Marr interview. And here is how it starts.

David Cameron has rejected calls to soften the impact of planned cuts to tax credits in the face of a cross-party campaign which warns that 3 million of the poorest working families will be worse off by £1,350 a year.

In an interview on the Andrew Marr Show on BBC1, in which he said that the Conservatives would now champion the “common ground” as Labour “runs to the hills”, the prime minister defended the cuts on the grounds that the government was having to protect the NHS and schools.
So I hope the interviewer went right back at him about the huge 2bn funding hole in the NHS that undermines everything Cameron and co said and pledged about protecting and increasing resources to the NHS ... and then challenged him on all the additional funds wasted on many free school set ups (especially the ones that have failed spectacularly and closed). No ... of course he didn't.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Tory spokespeople don't even bother to even try and make sense now, or present a logical answer, do they ?
Last edited by yahyah on Sun 04 Oct, 2015 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

HindleA wrote:Thanks for tips.

Be careful if you follow mine.
I did phrase it to sound like you should sit in boiling water to be skinned, not the tomatoes. :oops:
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
Roads closed, buses diverted and trams stopped as 80,000 protesters hit Manchester http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... d-10179661" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Hadn't seen your post when I put this up AAW. Snap and all that. Wonder how much reporting the BBC is going to do on this aspect of the Tory conf?
Say howdy to the peoples, Mr. citizen!
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Sorry, but I can't take Billy Bragg seriously.
He is the man who told us just days after the Tory/Lib coalition was formed, that Cameron & Clegg might turn out to be more progressive than Labour.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

WATO interview with Justine Greening on the tax credit cuts ... me gnashing teeth. She's just spouting that a 'typical family will be £2,400 a year better off'. That's it ... that's all she's really prepared to say. 'Typical family' - that's really what they are going to hide behind?
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

My radio is going to be lucky to survive this interview.....
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

rebeccariots2 wrote:From Andrew Sparrow's blog:
Here’s my colleague Nicholas Watt’s story about David Cameron’s Andrew Marr interview. And here is how it starts.

David Cameron has rejected calls to soften the impact of planned cuts to tax credits in the face of a cross-party campaign which warns that 3 million of the poorest working families will be worse off by £1,350 a year.

In an interview on the Andrew Marr Show on BBC1, in which he said that the Conservatives would now champion the “common ground” as Labour “runs to the hills”, the prime minister defended the cuts on the grounds that the government was having to protect the NHS and schools.
So I hope the interviewer went right back at him about the huge 2bn funding hole in the NHS that undermines everything Cameron and co said and pledged about protecting and increasing resources to the NHS ... and then challenged him on all the additional funds wasted on many free school set ups (especially the ones that have failed spectacularly and closed). No ... of course he didn't.
Wait. You promised to protect the NHS, schools and you promised not to cut tax credits, Dave.
Dave's had over five years in Tory government to do his thing as Prime Minister.
Why would Labour be running for the hills? That doesn't make sense. It's Dave projecting. It's Tory government in scramble mode. Giving regular people the common ground - I like that.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Libby Wiener ‏@LibbyWienerITV 7m7 minutes ago
Are Tories worried over fallout from tax credit cuts? Osborne won't say - and PM's adviser Craig Oliver storms off #toryconference @itvnews
Labour needs some short sharp messaging over these cuts - and should be making sure they get heard. The Tories are in a very weak position re this ... there will have to be some kind of back track.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

And if you want to eat some fresh - take a ripe avocado, cut it in half lengthways, spoon out the stone, slice it each half (while it's in the skin) first lengthways then make lots of slices across (carefully without breaking the skin,) then use the same knife to scoop the slices out; take a drained mozzarella, slice lengthways then into slices; take a roughly equal bulk of tomatoes to the avocado and slices them; place all in a bowl, pour on a slug of olive oil, turn the mixture in the bowl with a wooden spoon to coat the ingredients in the olive oil (or lay them all out, neatly overlapping, on a plate then pour the olive oil over.) Enjoy with fresh crusty buttered bread. You could chop some salads, add olives, and mix the lot together, too. And, if you're a meat-eater, add slices or chunks of your favourite cold meats.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

AngryAsWell wrote:Live: Manchester anti-austerity protest rally - Tens of thousands to march through city as Tory conference begins
Around 80,000 demonstrators are expected to descend on the city to protest outside the Conservative party conference’s base at Manchester Central as part of the #TakeBackMCR rally

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... y-10190207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In an email obtained by the M.E.N, party chairman Lord Feldman stressed it was ‘particularly important’ for activists to remove their Tory-branded badges if they go beyond the ‘secure zone’ over safety concerns. Lord Feldman wrote to members: “For the first time in almost two decades, we have a Conservative Prime Minister at the Cabinet table, surrounded only by Conservative Ministers. I’m delighted that we will have more members and activists with us; with 30% more than the last time we met in Manchester."

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... e-10176748
You're delighted feeling the necessity of telling Tories to hide their party affiliation outside the bunker during the conference?
Are the '30% more' security forces?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

citizenJA wrote:The huge crowd of people wanting to express disapproval of Tory government aren't allowed near the completely fenced off building Tories are occupying. Mr. citizen cannot confirm that snipers are poised on rooftops protecting Tory overlords in Manchester.
As long as he's safe.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Think I'll go with sitting in boiling water and looking at the tomatoes.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:

Be careful if you follow mine.
I did phrase it to sound like you should sit in boiling water to be skinned, not the tomatoes. :oops:
Boiled bum. A new recipe You read it first here. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

HindleA wrote:Cheers,again.
Or give some away...I do that with excess apples, plums and nuts...
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

It is not the bum,I am worried about.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Yes,we usually gave most away,just thinking out loud as to expanding my culinary inexpertise.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House

Post by LadyCentauria »

rebeccariots2 wrote:WATO interview with Justine Greening on the tax credit cuts ... me gnashing teeth. She's just spouting that a 'typical family will be £2,400 a year better off'. That's it ... that's all she's really prepared to say. 'Typical family' - that's really what they are going to hide behind?
That and, "Eight out of ten typical families will be better off!"
Yeah, Justine, but two out of ten will be worse off and that's two-tenths to many for me...
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
I wonder if the Tory prats at the Beeb have realised that if they do, they're informing the country about the demos and unrest....
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

I thought I saw a Twitter thing (over at the Guardian) saying that Craig Oliver walked off (in a huff, presumably) during an ITV interview at the conference. I can't find it now. Does anyone else know anything about it? (If anyone else has actually seen the "Tweet", I'd be grateful to hear from them!)