Saturday 3rd October & Sunday 4th October 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 3rd October & Sunday 4th October 2015

Post by yahyah »

One of the joys of getting older is more interactions like this one that's just happened here.

Husband: Can you put Aqua Marina on the shopping list ?

Me: Aqua Marina, Aqua Marina what's that ? Wasn't she in Stingray ?

husband: You know the stuff, erm...Ave Marina. Ave Maria.

Me, getting even more puzzled: Ave Maria ? Give me a clue. Tia Maria ? Since when do you drink that ?

Husband: No, no, no. You know, Hello Vera stuff for rubbing, you know.

He meant Aloe Vera gel for chapped skin, - blooming obvious wasn't it ?
55DegreesNorth
Minister of State

Post by 55DegreesNorth »

rebeccariots2 wrote:
gilsey wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote: Labour needs some short sharp messaging over these cuts - and should be making sure they get heard. The Tories are in a very weak position re this ... there will have to be some kind of back track.
Why wouldn't this be as bad for the tories as the poll tax was?

Serious question.
Some commentators have said it could be, gilsey.

I suppose one reason it might not is that the poll tax hit everybody - this won't - although it's still a large number of people - 3.2 million I think I saw is the number who will be adversely affected.
That's not quite true. Newcastle always had a high rate levy, and the poll tax brought my payments down by more than half. It took over a decade for council tax to reach the level of the old rates. The poll tax was very helpful for many people, providing that they lived in big houses in highly rated areas.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

egg.jpg
egg.jpg (48.09 KiB) Viewed 7094 times

#Eggate. :lol: :lol: :lol:
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:One of the joys of getting older is more interactions like this one that's just happened here.

Husband: Can you put Aqua Marina on the shopping list ?

Me: Aqua Marina, Aqua Marina what's that ? Wasn't she in Stingray ?

husband: You know the stuff, erm...Ave Marina. Ave Maria.

Me, getting even more puzzled: Ave Maria ? Give me a clue. Tia Maria ? Since when do you drink that ?

Husband: No, no, no. You know, Hello Vera stuff for rubbing, you know.

He meant Aloe Vera gel for chapped skin, - blooming obvious wasn't it ?
Good job you didn't go into the chemist and ask for Hello Vera :lol: :lol: :lol:
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

Scene from Belgian BBC 4 thriller Cordon, where a nasty, dangerous virus was loose and people were forced into quarantine.

Looks like the Tory conference was inspired by that.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

I can't believe they are actually Tories. :lol:

If a casting director sent them along for a screen test the director would say they were too stereotyped to be realistic.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

G M Police ‏@gmpolice 23 mins23 minutes ago

Ch Supt O'Hare said: "The fact that only four arrests have been made throughout the day so far was particularly pleasing."

Nice one

Edited to add. One egging. Two spits, and don't know what the fourth was for.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:G M Police ‏@gmpolice 23 mins23 minutes ago

Ch Supt O'Hare said: "The fact that only four arrests have been made throughout the day so far was particularly pleasing."

Nice one
So, four arrests out of up to 100,000 people.

Whereas Bullingdon boys, four arrests out of a group of fourteen and more would have been nabbed if the police cells had been more roomy.

''Thames Valley police confirmed that 14 men had been involved in the melee but said only four had been arrested because there were not enough cells to hold them all.''
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... a-pub.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So lefties are more law abiding by a long way ;)
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

ohsocynical wrote:
egg.jpg

It's an Eggstone isn't it?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

After today I wonder if it's really sunk into those thick Tory skulls just how unhappy this country is with them.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

frightful_oik wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
egg.jpg

It's an Eggstone isn't it?
Eggactly! Eggcellent guess.
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

glynn parry ‏@PARRY1956 38m38 minutes ago

Laughing Tory egged after brandishing Thatcher picture at protesters

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 79071.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PLEASE RT #torybritain
yahyah
Prime Minister

Post by yahyah »

ohsocynical wrote:glynn parry ‏@PARRY1956 38m38 minutes ago

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 79071.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PLEASE RT #torybritain

Lordy, are Tory boys still w***ing over pics of Thatcher ?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:glynn parry ‏@PARRY1956 38m38 minutes ago

PLEASE RT #torybritain

Lordy, are Tory boys still w***ing over pics of Thatcher ?
It seems so...
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

The Tories are finally facing up to what makes Parliament too posh: but will their solution work?
http://blogs.new.spectator.co.uk/2015/1 ... tion-work/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This is about the newly announced bursary scheme to support parliamentary candidates who may not have the means themselves ...
... The cost of standing for Parliament in a seat that is considered winnable is obscene: candidates can lose £34,000 of their own money on average (that figure comes from this ConHome survey of 2005 candidates, but my own research which I am conducting currently suggests that it is roughly similar for those who stood in 2015: more on this soon). And this means that it’s impossible for some people to ever consider running.

The Conservatives ran their own survey which received 60,000 responses from members and activists, 83 per cent of whom said they wanted bursaries for candidates...
Well fine. But don't then criticise Labour for having union supported candidates for much the same reasons.
Working on the wild side.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

rascalblog ‏@rascalblog 6 mins6 minutes ago

First bacon, now eggs... Is there a 'Full English' pattern to recent Tory headlines? Next = Michael Gove caught dry humping a fried tomato?
Not one of AHindle's tomatoes I hope....
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Is anyone taking bets on Cameron mentioning his son again this year?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

THE National Union of Teachers (NUT) has condemned the news that all new academies and free schools, including those that have opened since September 2014, will now be inspected by Ofsted only during the third year of operation, rather than the second.

http://morningstaronline.co.uk/a-f9e7-O ... hFkZLRViko
I expect Tubby and Roger will have seen this.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

ohsocynical wrote:
THE National Union of Teachers (NUT) has condemned the news that all new academies and free schools, including those that have opened since September 2014, will now be inspected by Ofsted only during the third year of operation, rather than the second.

Yep. To be fair, it's all new schools- these just happen to be nearly all free schools and academies.

It's a heck of a risk. Ofsted, for its faults, has been the one that spotted some shocking practice in new free schools and academies. They're hoping the new Regional Commissioners will sort out the problems in new schools but are they up to it?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

citizenJA wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
citizenJA wrote: We must have responsible governance and regulatory bodies.
This isn't working here, it's scandalous and I don't notice appropriate authority taking action here.
I hope I'm simply not well enough informed and criminal conduct and conflicts of interests are being resolved.
Any information anyone can give me to help is welcome.
I imagine the body is funded by compulsory levies on industry.

If so, that's not really a conflict of interest.
"A Department for Transport spokesman said: “To help provide value for taxpayers, the VCA cover their operating costs by charging manufacturers for the services they provide. This is the case with many regulators, including the ORR. Whilst the VCA charges the industry for its services, its governance framework is set by Government.”'
We've got conflict of interest problems here, Tubby Isaacs.
Provided the regulator is the only body who can provide those services, and they have to be provided, that isn't really a problem.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

yahyah wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:Alan Travis ‏@alantravis40 2 mins2 minutes ago

Texas scheme of investing in probation to cut incarceration rates by 12% behind Gove jail revolution, says Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -Gove.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What Gove means is throwing handfuls of money at private companies to provide probation services, not investing in a public sector service.
It'll depend who he has in mind- highest risk offenders are supervised by the public sector, so that they'll get the blame when the offenders commit serious offences (as some inevitably will). If it's lower risk cases, then the private sector does those. These too will commit serious offences, but proportionately fewer. (And plus they can blame the Probation Service for not putting the offender in the higher risk category).

I think Gove's thing will be education, or how he sees education anyway. That's so far meant everybody doing Latin. How that'll work with offenders, God only knows.
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Post by RogerOThornhill »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

Yep. To be fair, it's all new schools- these just happen to be nearly all free schools and academies.

It's a heck of a risk. Ofsted, for its faults, has been the one that spotted some shocking practice in new free schools and academies. They're hoping the new Regional Commissioners will sort out the problems in new schools but are they up to it?
The quick answer to your question, Tubby, is no. Unless they get a whole load of bureaucracy underneath them and/or increase the numbers of them. In which case they'll start to look exactly the same as LAs except for the small fact that they are all controlled by the DfE.

I can imagine the Select Committee might ask about this.
If I'm not here, then I'll be in the library. Or the other library.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

gilsey wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote: That and, "Eight out of ten typical families will be better off!"
Yeah, Justine, but two out of ten will be worse off and that's two-tenths to many for me...
So how many out of 10 were worse off when Brown made those changes including abolishing the 10p rate?
I don't know the answer but I'd guess it was fewer, and it was only worth £200 a year, wasn't it? A bit less than £1350.
Brown's mistake was introducing the 10p rate, not abolishing it. Unlike some here, I wasn't a fan of GB as chancellor.
I was a fan of his. Tax credits were a big achievement, I think.

It wouldn't have been many worse off, you're right.
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

Kevin Maguire ‏@Kevin_Maguire 10m10 minutes ago
Five things we learned from Day One of the Tory conference http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/fi ... ar_twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; …
Working on the wild side.
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

ohsocynical wrote:Alan Travis ‏@alantravis40 2 mins2 minutes ago

Texas scheme of investing in probation to cut incarceration rates by 12% behind Gove jail revolution, says Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -Gove.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hold on! Didn't we used to have a thing called the Probation Service? And the Prison Education Service? And day-release for work/training? And, and an employment service for former prisoners? And, well, funding for stuff! Wonder what happened to all of that... And I'd look to the Scandinavian model long before I looked at bloody Texas, had I wanted inspiration for improving all of the above...
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

Actually, I'm expecting Gove's interest in prison education will take the form of him moaning about the failed education system he inherited.

If he stays till 2020, that'll be a steady supply of offenders whose problems he can trace back to "Labour's education system". Doubtless they'd have been family doctors instead if only they'd had Gove directing them towards Latin GCSE. They'd not have got passed over by one of his free schools, or kicked out before they took any exams, oh no.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: I expect Tubby and Roger will have seen this.

The quick answer to your question, Tubby, is no. Unless they get a whole load of bureaucracy underneath them and/or increase the numbers of them. In which case they'll start to look exactly the same as LAs except for the small fact that they are all controlled by the DfE.

I can imagine the Select Committee might ask about this.
I hope they do ask, though nobody takes any notice.

Much as I dislike the SNP, I noted the Auditor General complimented them on aligning their practice with the relevant select committee. Quite a contrast with Tory Westminster, they'd probably say, and they'd be right on this occasion.

Agree with you. The Commissioners look too distant to me. Especially with those daftly-shaped regions.

They
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Rowson's latest...

http://linkis.com/www.theguardian.com/x1jg8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

SimonNRicketts ‏@SimonNRicketts 23 mins23 minutes ago

Robert Peston is leaving the BBC to become ITV's political editor and have his own show.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/o ... cal-editor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

So are we taking bets on which celebs the Tories will rol out onto the conference platform?

I'd take a punt on the Birbalsingh in a "look, I opened a school! (eventually) And it's great - the kids have to stand up when I enter the room which does so much for my ego and teachers have to teach from the front and....and...er...well, it's all great and we didn't have any help at all. Well, apart from Christodolou and that Tory pundit and Anthony Seldon and another HT. No help at all!"
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Phillip Blond ‏@Phillip_Blond 15 mins15 minutes ago

I am hearing rumours of a high profile resignation from Labour tomorrow

Ooh - er
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

If true. Planned for maximum damage? We shall see.
PaulfromYorkshire
Site Admin

Post by PaulfromYorkshire »

ohsocynical wrote:If true. Planned for maximum damage? We shall see.
I'm trying to think of someone it might be that I would care a sod about ;-)
howsillyofme1
First Secretary of State

Post by howsillyofme1 »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:
Libby Wiener ‏@LibbyWienerITV 7m7 minutes ago
Are Tories worried over fallout from tax credit cuts? Osborne won't say - and PM's adviser Craig Oliver storms off #toryconference @itvnews
Labour needs some short sharp messaging over these cuts - and should be making sure they get heard. The Tories are in a very weak position re this ... there will have to be some kind of back track.
This is one of my frustrations with the leadership election. Sure, it's great to have Trident queried but if Cooper had won, she'd be hammering away at tax credits.

What is stopping her?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Please let it be Simon Danczuk.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Please let it be Simon Danczuk.
I thought the tweet said "high profile"!
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

Willow904 wrote:
RogerOThornhill wrote:Please let it be Simon Danczuk.
I thought the tweet said "high profile"!
Bear in mind that was from Phillip Blond...for a Tory any defection will be "high profile".
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

I wonder if there is any significance in the wording "resignation" rather than "defection". Could it be some media/celebrity figure?
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

OK it is me,I am resigning to spend more time with my tomatoes.
frightful_oik
Whip

Post by frightful_oik »

Probably someone resigning their SC job.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you-
Ye are many - they are few."
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

HindleA wrote:OK it is me,I am resigning to spend more time with my tomatoes.
:lol!:
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

frightful_oik wrote:Probably someone resigning their SC job.
That's not giving it much of a go, though. Perhaps it's Peter Mandelson, or is that wishful thinking!
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Phillip Blond ‏@Phillip_Blond 17 mins17 minutes ago

A high profile lord will resign the labour whip tomorrow - that's what I am being told
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

On Twitter I'm hearing its Lord Sugar?
RogerOThornhill
Prime Minister

ohsocynical wrote:On Twitter I'm hearing its Lord Sugar?
When I saw the post saying it was a Lord, I would have guessed Sugar.

He's a maverick - no great loss. Doubt if many people listen to him as they might have at one time.
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

RogerOThornhill wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:On Twitter I'm hearing its Lord Sugar?
When I saw the post saying it was a Lord, I would have guessed Sugar.

He's a maverick - no great loss. Doubt if many people listen to him as they might have at one time.
Didn't he quit in May?
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:
LadyCentauria wrote:
rebeccariots2 wrote:WATO interview with Justine Greening on the tax credit cuts ... me gnashing teeth. She's just spouting that a 'typical family will be £2,400 a year better off'. That's it ... that's all she's really prepared to say. 'Typical family' - that's really what they are going to hide behind?
That and, "Eight out of ten typical families will be better off!"
Yeah, Justine, but two out of ten will be worse off and that's two-tenths to many for me...
So how many out of 10 were worse off when Brown made those changes including abolishing the 10p rate?
Far too many. Two wrongs don't make a right.
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) is the UK automotive approval Authority and a Technical Service so has the responsibility for witnessing or carrying out the tests as well as issuing the approval certificates.

Tests can be witnessed at any suitable facility anywhere in the world, whether they are owned by the manufacturer or hired by the manufacturer for the period. An approval issued by one Authority will be accepted in all the Member States. If you make large numbers of vehicles each year and/or you plan to sell across Europe, ECWVTA is the best approval option.

The European approval scheme is based on the concept of ‘type approval’ and put simply; this process provides a mechanism for ensuring that vehicles meet relevant environmental, safety and security standards. As it is not practical to test every single vehicle made, one production vehicle is tested as being representative of the ‘type’. A number of performance requirements will apply to a given vehicle type ranging from tyres through to exhaust emissions and braking systems. To ensure a consistent approach, the test methodology is outlined in the relevant EC Directive / Regulation or UN Regulation and the tests are carried out at an appropriate facility. If you are a vehicle manufacturer, your supply chain will probably have system and component approvals in place already.

Once all of the system and component approvals are in place, the vehicle will be considered as a whole by a designated approval body; in the UK this is VCA. A successful inspection accompanied by the submission of the relevant manufacturer’s information documents will result in the issue of a European Whole Vehicle Type Approval Certificate. This certification will be accepted throughout the EU without the need for further testing...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca//vehicletype/ ... ective.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What could possibly go wrong.
Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin's web page linked below includes the link to VW.
Advice from VW.
That's McLoughlin's advice to you.
Find out more
People who are concerned their vehicle is affected can seek advice from VW.
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gove ... -tax-costs
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:
frightful_oik wrote:Probably someone resigning their SC job.
That's not giving it much of a go, though. Perhaps it's Peter Mandelson, or is that wishful thinking!
Wishful thinking :D