Monday 5th October 2015

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Re: Monday 5th October 2015

Post by citizenJA »

RogerOThornhill wrote:Image

Ooh, I don't know Ryan...maybe because they're coming from a cabinet member talking about millions of workers while the other is a few hotheads impacting on about half a dozen people?

:toss:

have you noticed that the frothing right seem far more interested about what's going on outside the conference than about what's going on inside?
The high-pitched squealing sound of a Tory apologist is as offensive as Tory Hunt's work hard will make you free noise.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
HindleA wrote:Struck,not for the first time,and no doubt not the last;how incredibly stupid our supposed betters are.
Sadly they aren't that stupid. They won in 2015 and are nailed on to win in 2020 with a huge majority, if you believe the polls.

They must be doing something right.
Why would I believe polls?
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:Nobody does bat shit crazy quite like the Republican primaries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 80806.html

Yep atheist crisps. That's where it's at.

Campaign to the base, then spend the general election trying to present yourself as a moderate before losing to the mainstream Democrat because you can't disown your statements in the primaries.

(Although La Clinton isn't a great candidate).
The party big wigs have lost control of the process. It's the downside of having a very motivated base who win you lots of governorships and House seats.

I'm not an expert on American politics, but the Republicans do fairly well out of the whole nonsense, even with the problem they have with the presidency.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
HindleA wrote:Struck,not for the first time,and no doubt not the last;how incredibly stupid our supposed betters are.
Sadly they aren't that stupid. They won in 2015 and are nailed on to win in 2020 with a huge majority, if you believe the polls.

And well placed to do it again, with a very high number of SNP MPs returning in 2020.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

There should be actual GDP figures for capital investment somewhere. How do they look?
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

citizenJA wrote:
TechnicalEphemera wrote:

Why would I believe polls?
Because they are the best data out there on what people are thinking. And because they are inaccurate, but they aren't that inaccurate.

The results in May will be a reality check for some (although if Labour start winning councils all over the south of England I will be happy to concede my perception of reality is skewed).
Release the Guardvarks.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... ns%2C_2016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Labour are well placed already in lots of the places in England with local elections next year.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

On investment, worth recalling what the IFS said. 2009 (albeit with some investment brought forward by Darling) saw the highest level of government investment since 1975.

I'll venture that's not been surpassed, even nearly so.
TechnicalEphemera
Speaker of the House

Post by TechnicalEphemera »

Tubby Isaacs wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... ns%2C_2016

Labour are well placed already in lots of the places in England with local elections next year.
So they should make large advances in all those councils in marginal seats then. However I rather suspect they won't. In fact I suspect in large areas they will go backwards, possibly quite markedly. However I am quite prepared to be wrong.
Release the Guardvarks.
citizenJA
Prime Minister

Post by citizenJA »

Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

John West tuna is not as wildlife friendly as it promised to be. Only 2% of its tuna is caught by 'pole and line', and is 'aggregated' in with the net-catch, which can (and does) catch up dolphin, shark, and turtles, amongst other sea-life. John West is now owned by a Thai company. Sorry this is behind a paywall:
Britain’s biggest tinned tuna supplier has secretly gone back on a promise to save dolphins, sharks and turtles from its fishing nets.
In 2011 John West Foods committed to catching at least half of its British tuna by the “pole and line” method — a sustainable technique that minimises the risk of other species becoming trapped in the nets — by the end of last year.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/environme ... 577368.ece
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
LadyCentauria
Speaker of the House
Location: Set within 3,500 acres of leafy public land in SW London

Post by LadyCentauria »

citizenJA wrote:Goodnight, everyone.
love,
cJA
Goodnight cJA. Dream sweetly. x
This time, I'm gonna be stronger I'm not giving in...
danesclose
Whip

Post by danesclose »

TechnicalEphemera wrote:
Tubby Isaacs wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... ns%2C_2016

So they should make large advances in all those councils in marginal seats then. However I rather suspect they won't. In fact I suspect in large areas they will go backwards, possibly quite markedly. However I am quite prepared to be wrong.
And if they don't make those gains, 4.5 years from the next election, it will be the fault of ......?
And if Labour had elected ..... as leader they would be making these gains?

Please feel free to fill in the blanks
Proud to be part of The Indecent Minority.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

They already control the council in lots of marginal seats.

Corbyn will have to do well to match where they are now.
HindleA
Prime Minister

Post by HindleA »

Quadruple sigh.