Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th October 2014

A home from home
Forum rules
Welcome to FTN. New posters are welcome to join the conversation. You can follow us on Twitter @FlythenestHaven You are responsible for the content you post. This is a public forum. Treat it as if you are speaking in a crowded room. Site admin and Moderators are volunteers who will respond as quickly as they are able to when made aware of any complaints. Please do not post copyrighted material without the original authors permission.
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Re: Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th October 2014

Post by AngryAsWell »

Cabinet minister complains Lynton Crosby now running the UK instead of Cameron
http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/10/0 ... f-cameron/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TheGrimSqueaker
Speaker of the House

Post by TheGrimSqueaker »

Sorry to contradict your ladyship, but is that really the correct meaning of the word "farage"?

The comedian Mark Thomas (a member of the working classes, so you may not be familiar with his work) decided upon this definition during the course of one of his radio broadcasts
(Voted for as part of Mark Thomas 100Acts, pronounced to rhyme with garage e.g. Fah-Ridge)- Noun: the liquid found at the bottom of a bin/trashcan/wheelie bin.

"Oh no, I was putting out the bin bags and one ripped & my foot got soaked in evil smelling, slimy farage."
However, a Malaysian friend of mine pointed out that although spelling is slightly different (they spell it 'faraj') the pronunciation is the same, and it is the Malay word for part of the female genitalia.

I leave it up to yeronner to decide which is the most appropriate.
COWER BRIEF MORTALS. HO. HO. HO.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

:shock:
LET'S FACE IT I'M JUST 'KIN' SEETHIN'
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

Are the Graun covering the Fibs conference? Apart from the one editorial, there has barely been any mention (not that I'm complaining).
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

AngryAsWell wrote:Oh Boy - anyone want to watch the FibDems?
http://www.libdems.org.uk/conferencelive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(Sorry for the link - I'll get my carcoat and go...)
Has anyone else noticed. I've just checked their live feed. Their colours are yellow merging into orange and ending up red? That's a cynical bit of political jiggery-pokery if ever I saw it.
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office. – Aesop
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-10- ... es-around/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good news for all you Clegg lovers:
Clegg optimistic at Lib Dem conference ahead of election
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Sorry to contradict your ladyship, but is that really the correct meaning of the word "farage"?

The comedian Mark Thomas (a member of the working classes, so you may not be familiar with his work) decided upon this definition during the course of one of his radio broadcasts
(Voted for as part of Mark Thomas 100Acts, pronounced to rhyme with garage e.g. Fah-Ridge)- Noun: the liquid found at the bottom of a bin/trashcan/wheelie bin.

"Oh no, I was putting out the bin bags and one ripped & my foot got soaked in evil smelling, slimy farage."
However, a Malaysian friend of mine pointed out that although spelling is slightly different (they spell it 'faraj') the pronunciation is the same, and it is the Malay word for part of the female genitalia.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-10- ... es-around/

I don't follow that many on Twitter, but it's eerily silent, about/by/for/against LibDems.
Almost as if they don't exist. Not even important enough to insult. Karma
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Thanks everyone for all the help with my avatar yesterday,it has taken me till this morning to figure it out,so thanks again.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

AngryAsWell wrote:Cabinet minister complains Lynton Crosby now running the UK instead of Cameron
http://tompride.wordpress.com/2014/10/0 ... f-cameron/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Murdoch and Crosby. And the Aussies complain about us.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

ohsocynical wrote:
tinyclanger2 wrote:http://www.itv.com/news/update/2014-10- ... es-around/

I don't follow that many on Twitter, but it's eerily silent, about/by/for/against LibDems.
Almost as if they don't exist. Not even important enough to insult. Karma
I'm saving myself for later this afternoon when Slime-on Hughes is putting in his twopen'orth. If I remember. I watched a tiny bit of the opening proceedings a few minutes ago. I don't think the faithful could have got the memo about the venue.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

ITV wrote:Lib Dems not ruling out another coalition with Tories
Just to further warm your hearts.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Nick Clegg accuses George Osborne of balancing books ‘on backs of poor’ (Guardian)
Well. 10\10 for observation, anyway.

But another coalition with the Conservatives is still, apparently, considered acceptable. Didn't you see, or care, how David Cameron was laughing at you at the Conservative Conference, Nick Clegg? Still - love has no pride, as the song has it.

Edited to add link (just for form's sake)-

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ks-of-poor
Temulkar
Secretary of State

Post by Temulkar »

LOL the hall is empty at the LD conference.
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Temulkar wrote:LOL the hall is empty at the LD conference.
Tim Farron's there. Jo Swinson's there. Danny Alexander was lurking outside. What more do you want? I don't know - some people. Never satisfied. Besides which - Scotland's a long way to travel for a lot of people. (That'll be the excuse, you can bet on it.)
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

Hello all.

Thanks for the link to the Libdem conference. The Guardian isn't covering it for some reason.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

odd one out round
fromage.jpg
fromage.jpg (18.27 KiB) Viewed 14012 times
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Willow904 wrote:Hello all.

Thanks for the link to the Libdem conference. The Guardian isn't covering it for some reason.

Hello. Nice to see you. I daresay we'll get some vomit inducing article about them when the journalists have had time to make something up.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote: I might join you there - have you got a link to it ?
I feel a little rage might just warm me through - very chilly here this am.
:fire: Ooo feeling warmer already
Liberal Democrats @LibDems

I'm dimayray.

Resisting any sort of heating at present. The longer I can go, the more we can keep warm when it gets really cold.
Have my warm slippers on and a long cardigan...The end of my nose is cold though! :roll:

Me to, booty slippers (heaven only know what Lady Jacobia Rees-Moggy would think of them) thin fleece and big cardy on here.

Good grief!

What's all this nonsense about heating? One simply instructs the servants to lay a few fires in the rooms one is using.

It is patently clear that you are not PLU, dear. One simply does not wear a "cardy" especially when dressing for dinner.

As for "booty slippers" I am afraid I simply do not understand what you can possibly mean. Nanny wears slippers, but only in her own quarters, and never wears boots. It's simply not done. Stout shoes, correctly-polished, are what's required for staff.

Standards among the lower orders are utterly vile. No wonder Pappa insists they sit below the salt if he's forced to entertain them.
"Poverty is the worst form of violence" - Mahatma Gandhi
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

JustMom wrote:Thanks everyone for all the help with my avatar yesterday,it has taken me till this morning to figure it out,so thanks again.
Glad you made it.
I have a better photo in Picasa but it won't transfer to or work with other apps.
I think it would if I wanted to let Google have my photo files, but I don't want to.
So, in the meantime I use a couple of manky shots I have stored in in downloads which thank goodness recognised the site Ephemerid recommended.
Willow904
Prime Minister

Post by Willow904 »

ohsocynical wrote:
Willow904 wrote:Hello all.

Hello. Nice to see you. I daresay we'll get some vomit inducing article about them when the journalists have had time to make something up.
It'll be interesting to see which way the Guardian goes. If the Libdems do well(ish), holding onto some of their marginals from the Tories in the South, it would help Ed Miliband achieve a clear majority. Cameron's ambitions on the other hand depend on a complete Libdem wipeout. Any cheerleading from the Guardian for the Libdems will be helping Ed, in other words, and on past form I'm not sure how likely that is.
"Fall seven times, get up eight" - Japanese proverb
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

JustMom wrote:Thanks everyone for all the help with my avatar yesterday,it has taken me till this morning to figure it out,so thanks again.
Good on ya. And very appealing it is too.
Working on the wild side.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

TheGrimSqueaker wrote:Sorry to contradict your ladyship, but is that really the correct meaning of the word "farage"?

How dare you question a member of the landed gentry?

As a scion of one of the most notable families in the country, I am always - but always - correct.

What the lower orders and foreigners do in order to debase the Queen's English is entirely up to them; but you can take it from me, as your superior in every possible respect, that I am correct.

When at my marvellous school, St.Esther the Vile's, I was taught by the best autocue-readers of the day that usage of the word "correct" must be maintained repeatedly whenever questioned in public on any subject whatsoever.
This stratagem works so effectively - and of course one is always right anyway - that even the more rebellious elements in society have no choice other than to express their gratitude for being corrected.

I see this as my solemn duty; after all, one has standards to maintain and noblesse oblige.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Lady R-M. Do you have to hand an etymology for the family name?
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:
Glad you made it.
I have a better photo in Picasa but it won't transfer to or work with other apps.
I think it would if I wanted to let Google have my photo files, but I don't want to.
So, in the meantime I use a couple of manky shots I have stored in in downloads which thank goodness recognised the site Ephemerid recommended.
Much as I'd like to take the credit, I really can't - I'm a total Luddite.

It was Mrs.Riots, I think, or Dan.
Tubby Isaacs
Prime Minister

Post by Tubby Isaacs »

stefanstern ‏@stefanstern 6h6 hours ago
On #bbcaq Gove says tax cuts can't come before 2018. On his plane Dave says they can come sooner. They are just making this stuff up.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
AngryAsWell wrote:
ohsocynical wrote: Liberal Democrats @LibDems

I'm dimayray.

Resisting any sort of heating at present. The longer I can go, the more we can keep warm when it gets really cold.
Have my warm slippers on and a long cardigan...The end of my nose is cold though! :roll:

Me to, booty slippers (heaven only know what Lady Jacobia Rees-Moggy would think of them) thin fleece and big cardy on here.

Good grief!

What's all this nonsense about heating? One simply instructs the servants to lay a few fires in the rooms one is using.

It is patently clear that you are not PLU, dear. One simply does not wear a "cardy" especially when dressing for dinner.

As for "booty slippers" I am afraid I simply do not understand what you can possibly mean. Nanny wears slippers, but only in her own quarters, and never wears boots. It's simply not done. Stout shoes, correctly-polished, are what's required for staff.

Standards among the lower orders are utterly vile. No wonder Pappa insists they sit below the salt if he's forced to entertain them.
Huh! The nearest I got to the salt was behind the green baize door. And your pappa wouldn't let me stay on as a below the stairs maid when I married the bootboy. Ever so rude he was when we asked his permission. We was out of the door so quick it made our heads spin.
Still, it was all for the best. I got ever such a good position as live out general servant five bob a week and all the leftovers plus the odd knob of coal when Cook's not looking. My Tom says he's better fed now than he ever was and we can please ourselves what we do in the evenings and on on my half a day off on Sunday. Cardigans are ever so warm and the felt slippers Lady Rees Moggs housekeeper threw out came up ever so clean when Tom give them a scrub. I wouldn't be without them.
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Lady R-M. Do you have to hand an etymology for the family name?

No. But I'm sure you could write one for me..... :lol:
Eric_WLothian
Secretary of State

Post by Eric_WLothian »

Just noticed this:
The Guardian is much more than a business – for almost 200 years we have dedicated our resources to the kind of public service journalism that recently won a Pulitzer prize. By becoming a member you’ll help support that ideal and, no doubt, have a great time in doing so
http://www.theguardian.com/membership/2 ... membership

I thought they ran at a loss without setting up some sort of lounge facility in a goods shed. Tough if you live outside central London though!

(Maybe Clegg will do the official opening ceremony for free).
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

ohsocynical wrote:

Huh! The nearest I got to the salt was behind the green baize door. And your pappa wouldn't let me stay on as a below the stairs maid when I married the bootboy. Ever so rude he was when we asked his permission. We was out of the door so quick it made our heads spin.
Still, it was all for the best. I got ever such a good position as live out general servant five bob a week and all the leftovers plus the odd knob of coal when Cook's not looking. My Tom says he's better fed now than he ever was and we can please ourselves what we do in the evenings and on on my half a day off on Sunday. Cardigans are ever so warm and the felt slippers Lady Rees Moggs housekeeper threw out came up ever so clean when Tom give them a scrub. I wouldn't be without them.
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

I'm really glad you posted coz it helped me get mine sorted as well :lol:
AngryAsWell
Prime Minister

Post by AngryAsWell »

tinyclanger2 wrote:odd one out round
fromage.jpg
:lol: :lol!: :lol:
rebeccariots2
Prime Minister

Post by rebeccariots2 »

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 4m4 minutes ago
"Don't ever tell me its not worth being in Govt" @SimonHughesMP tells @libdemconf
Well I'm sure it's been worth it for you Simon. It's just been shit for every poor and assumed undeserving person you've 'governed'.
Working on the wild side.
JustMom
Committee Member

Post by JustMom »

Well I was really pleased I could finally put mine up there. I'm not very good with computers so I waited for my daughter to help me.
I put it down to my age. :)
PorFavor
Prime Minister

Post by PorFavor »

Well, that was a load of crap.

Edited to add -

I refer, of course, to Simon Hughes' outpourings. (Or outfall.)
Last edited by PorFavor on Sat 04 Oct, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

PF - you are showing unfortunate juxtaposition.

(Edited to add: that's better)
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

ephemerid wrote:
ohsocynical wrote:

:lol!: :lol!: :lol!:
I wish I'd asked more and listened to my gran. She was born in 1889 and when she was ten her father killed himself. She and her mother struggled on for two years with the help of her father in law who lived with her and my gran. He was a barber and was still cutting hair when he was 83.
When he died my g. gran had to go on the parish. As she was an upright citizen rather than being sent to the workhouse she was allocated an alms house through a charity run by the church, but they wouldn't help support my gran who was twelve by then and as she wasn't allowed to live in the almshouse with her mother, she was found a position as scullery maid in a big house in London. The family she was going to serve were recommended by the poor law officials. [My gran always snorted when she said that bit]

It took g. gran ages to save up the fare to London to see gran...When she got there she was horrified. Gran was dirty, had lost weight, was pale with dark shadows under her eyes and her lovely wavy black hair was matted and dirty.

Gran said she used to have to wait up for the family to get in because fires in the bedrooms needed to be kept going and she had to be up at first light to clean out the grates. She emptied all the chamber pots, did all the washing up, and scrubbed all the floors. When they had parties gran had to stay up to help out in the kitchen, so was often extremely late getting to bed.
My G Gran went mad. Demanded to see the butler, tore him off a strip and despite his threats that my gran wouldn't get a reference in which case no-one else would take her on, bundled up my grans few belongings and took her home. I think she sneaked my gran into the almshouse and hoped for the best.

In those days if you didn't have a good reference you were practically unemployable, and it was held over domestic workers heads if they protested about conditions.
I don't know how my g. gran did it, but she managed to get gran a position as assistant cook in a doctors residence not far from Reading so gran could get home easily on her afternoon off.

The only way you got to give up working in those days was to get married because most employers wouldn't take on married people although that changed somewhat after WW1.

So in 1908, my gran married and great granny Smith came to live with them. As far as I know they never went near the parish for help after that. They found various legal ways and means to make an extra bob or two but the fear of the workhouse was always there.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

PorFavor wrote:
Nick Clegg accuses George Osborne of balancing books ‘on backs of poor’ (Guardian)
Well. 10\10 for observation, anyway.

But another coalition with the Conservatives is still, apparently, considered acceptable. Didn't you see, or care, how David Cameron was laughing at you at the Conservative Conference, Nick Clegg? Still - love has no pride, as the song has it.

Edited to add link (just for form's sake)-

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... ks-of-poor
They are so thick, so immune to our disgust and what we think of them, that I wonder if it's some sort of pollution in the air at Westminster. There has to be some other reason because just saying they're stupid or are mere humans and have the same faults and foibles as the rest of us, simply doesn't explain it.
giselle97
Committee Chair

Post by giselle97 »

Sitting in a Costa Coffee ruminating about whether to return to Spain in a week's time. It's bucketing very cold rain outside and my winter clothes are in suitcases at the back of my storage container, together with my trusty PC, mouse and keyboard - which is why I'm not posting much anywhere!

@angry - good video and photo of handsome Ed, thanks.

I was really struggling with some of the recent posts from the "newer members" then read the confessions! Thought I had landed in Hell versus FTN!

re: "No-one likes Ed" I am quite content to be "No-one" and, just for clarification, I do most certainly like Ed.☺
Happy to be called a Labour Party Tribalist as I don't consider it as an insult in the grand scheme of things!
NonOxCol
Chief Whip

Post by NonOxCol »

Goodness me that Guardian editorial on the Lib Dems really is a frightful, contemptible pile of absolute steaming horseshit.

I hadn't read a Guardian editorial for several months before today. Have they really been this bad?

Any future cultural historians who want to understand how Britain's media became even more right-wing under the Coalition could do worse than read "The liberal moment has come", look at the policies the filth actually voted for over the course of four and a half years, and then read today's communication from Planet Beta, aka the "world's leading liberal voice".
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Back to earth with a bump!
Budget cuts to hit Bracknell parents with disabled children:

The council is also scrapping the carers’ grants, which enable about 100 families to take a break from their caring responsibilities. In total, it expects to save £106,000 a year from its Aiming High budget – which caters for youngsters with disabilities – from a series of savings. The planned cuts, approved by the council’s executive last Tuesday, were described as ‘the best of three bad options’. -

See more at: http://www.bracknellnews.co.uk/news/bra ... cdl2P.dpuf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Too much to ask our fat cat Tory Councillors to take a cut in expenses. Well the two lone Labour councillors asked and offered but were turned down. It could easily have covered the £106,000.
Last edited by ohsocynical on Sat 04 Oct, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

giselle97 wrote:Sitting in a Costa Coffee ruminating about whether to return to Spain in a week's time. It's bucketing very cold rain outside and my winter clothes are in suitcases at the back of my storage container, together with my trusty PC, mouse and keyboard - which is why I'm not posting much anywhere!

@angry - good video and photo of handsome Ed, thanks.

I was really struggling with some of the recent posts from the "newer members" then read the confessions! Thought I had landed in Hell versus FTN!

re: "No-one likes Ed" I am quite content to be "No-one" and, just for clarification, I do most certainly like Ed.☺
I'm being nosy. Is the money laundering saga closed? Do you have to sell your house again?
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Ivan White ‏@ivanwhite48 38m38 minutes ago
Indignorance is a feverish state of impotent, ill-informed outrage afflicting ‘Daily Mail’ readers

Indignorance. Now that's a useful word.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Etymology of Rees-Moggie

The name Reese derives from the Welsh “Rhys” meaning “ardor.” The name is also associated with meaning “zealous” or “enthusiasm.”
Rhys was the name of various Welsh rulers.

http://wiki.name.com/en/Reese" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rees moggie.jpg
rees moggie.jpg (19.12 KiB) Viewed 13882 times
refitman
Site Admin

Post by refitman »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Etymology of Rees-Moggie

The name Reese derives from the Welsh “Rhys” meaning “ardor.” The name is also associated with meaning “zealous” or “enthusiasm.”

rees moggie.jpg
:clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ephemerid
Speaker of the House

Post by ephemerid »

tinyclanger2 wrote:Etymology of Rees-Moggie

rees moggie.jpg

How very kind of you, young man (or lady). That must have taken you all of two-and-a-half seconds. Jolly well done!

Obviously, judging by the beauty of "moggie" it's patently clear which side of the family I get my genes from. Blessed with beauty, brains, an effervescent personality, and of course an account with those nice little suits at Coutts, I'm clearly more Mogg than Rees.

Incidentally, the individual in the Rees photograph is most definitely not one of ours. It is an impostor. No decent person would admit to having it in the sphere of one's acquaintance, let alone concede it might even be a relation. We do do Commons, only Lords.

Wikipedia is all very whizzy, and Mr.Google is helpful for shopping for the staff - but for all else one must consult Debretts.

I'll leave that flibbertigibbet Ephie (and if there was ever an example of how the lower orders name their ghastly offspring, it is she) to answer any further queries. I'm off to Fortnums for my tiffin.
tinyclanger2
Prime Minister

Post by tinyclanger2 »

Nigel (plural Nigels)
1.(Australia, pejorative, usually restricted to youths) A person, usually male, who is unpopular with their peers, unfashionable, socially awkward and/or introverted. He's such a Nigel: Hangs around in the library all day, by himself
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Nigel" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nigels.jpg
nigels.jpg (8.39 KiB) Viewed 13830 times
Last edited by tinyclanger2 on Sat 04 Oct, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Can life in a nursing home be made uplifting and purposeful?
One young doctor in upstate New York thought so and he came up with a highly eccentric way of demonstrating it. In this extract from his book Being Mortal, Atul Gawande tells the story of Bill Thomas and his miraculous menagerie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... seful.html
Wow! Just wow! And I've never used that expression before.
ohsocynical
Prime Minister

Post by ohsocynical »

Richard Ruzyllo ‏@spygun 3m3 minutes ago
#Libdems are debating the legalisation of brothels! They must be well and truly f****d. :) #conference

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AnatolyKasparov
Prime Minister

Post by AnatolyKasparov »

NonOxCol wrote: Have they really been this bad?
Much of the time, yes. "Planet Beta", indeed.
"IS TONTY BLAIR BEHIND THIS???!!!!111???!!!"